Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're in a touch situation AR. Best of luck with your decision.

Got my first vaccine today

I live in Pinellas county, Fl and today I got my first vaccine (Pfizer). Signed up online about a week ago. Had it done at a senior center. All went very smoothly. Had a 9:30 am appointment and was taken on time. Line was very short and orderly, all involved were super polite. Am due to return 2/11 for my second dose. So far, no discomfort.

Our governor reported again today that Connecticut has ample people, places and systems in place to greatly ramp up the speed of our vaccination campaign if only we could get more doses from the federal government. 6.82% of the state's population has received at least their first shot.

100,000,000 shots in 100 days mean we totally vaccinate 50,000,000 people. That’s about 16% of the total population. And it’s also about 100% of the age 65+ population, the ones who most commonly did.

100,000,000 shots in 100 days mean we totally vaccinate 50,000,000 people. That’s about 16% of the total population. And it’s also about 100% of the age 65+ population, the ones who most commonly did.

The pledge was 100M Americans vaccinated in 100 days, not sure if that includes the second shot.

Loathe as I am to discuss the politics here, but if we're gonna do it, let's just google it shall we:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...million-covid-vaccinations-in-first-100-days/

From the article:
“This team will help get … at least 100 million covid vaccine shots into the arms of the American people in the first 100 days,” Biden said during a Dec. 8 news conference introducing key members of his health team.

When first asked about his pledge, the Biden team said the president-elect meant 50 million people would get their two-dose regimen. The incoming administration has since updated this plan, saying it will release vaccine doses as soon as they’re available instead of holding back some of that supply for second doses."

I was very skeptical about the number of people who said they would not get the vaccine. Some were polled before the good results were known - especially reducing severity of the illness. Regardless, I figure FOMO would take over for many folks who hadn’t really made up their mind.

Michael Osterholm was really gnashing his teeth anticipating low acceptance of the vaccine. But as soon as a resource is scarce, a lot more people get interested!

The NM news today reported that 30% of health care workers in New Mexico refusing the vaccine. The explanation was they are waiting to see if there are side effects, since they are supposed to go first.

Loathe as I am to discuss the politics here, but if we're gonna do it, let's just google it shall we:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...million-covid-vaccinations-in-first-100-days/

From the article:
“This team will help get … at least 100 million covid vaccine shots into the arms of the American people in the first 100 days,” Biden said during a Dec. 8 news conference introducing key members of his health team.

When first asked about his pledge, the Biden team said the president-elect meant 50 million people would get their two-dose regimen. The incoming administration has since updated this plan, saying it will release vaccine doses as soon as they’re available instead of holding back some of that supply for second doses."

Yup. And we've already done over 1M shots a day 5 times in the last 11 days and continue to ramp up. Not much of a pledge.

Yup. And we've already done over 1M shots a day 5 times in the last 11 days and continue to ramp up. Not much of a pledge.

Consistent supply is going to be the key.. Not much the white house can do about that, since they don't actually manufacture anything.

The thing that is going to really help the number of shots in the arm is to get more vaccine manufacturers approved like Johnson and Johnson and others. Anybody know the status of any of the other vaccines?

The thing that is going to really help the number of shots in the arm is to get more vaccine manufacturers approved like Johnson and Johnson and others. Anybody know the status of any of the other vaccines?

Dr. Fauci said a few days ago that the AZ and J&J vaccines would be approved in "weeks not months".

Agreed. On the Bloomberg site tonight’s update shows a daily average of almost 940k shots given over the past week. And that included a three day weekend. I’ll be impressed if I see 2m per day.

I have not seen anything about the cadence of vaccine deliveries coming. I’ve seen numbers of vaccines bought or committed in total. If I was running the operation, I’d like to see a schedule laid out of shots manufactured and delivered per month or even per week by manufacturer. Also, does J&J have a bunch already made and ready to go pending approval? I’m a little surprised that no info has leaked out on what they are seeing so far in their results. I hope that isn’t a bad sign.

Consistent supply is going to be the key.. Not much the white house can do about that, since they don't actually manufacture anything.

Maybe...

From USA Today "On his second day in office, President Biden said he would invoke the Defense Production Act to speed up COVID-19 vaccine production. Whether that can rapidly increase output is an open question, experts say."

Here in North Texas, the little dribble of doses to pharmacies has been turned off, to instead vaccinate large numbers of people via a Hub Provider big-setup idea. Trouble is, the hub providers have their own signups, some were not meeting state guidelines, have been caught by TV stations. Hospitals seem to think they will do whatever they want once they get some doses, go away none of your business. This big big idea seems to me to be producing very little. It's all been, and continues to be, severely dose-supply limited. So now people have to keep signing up on new lists that don't move much, if they're lucky wait in long car lines after driving longer distances, etc.

I would really like to see running actuals on dose output per week per manufacturer, and how many doses are dedicated to each state, all on a week-by-week basis. We need transparency. Then we can see what it really looks like.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/21/health/us-vaccination-timeline-analysis/index.html

Assuming three-quarters of US adults must be fully vaccinated to achieve herd immunity...If vaccination picks up to 1 million shots per day, herd immunity in the US could be reached by the end of 2021...That would be able to protect even the vulnerables who have not been vaccinated, or those in which the vaccine has not been effective...Timelines for herd immunity and overall vaccination coverage could also accelerate if more single-dose vaccines are authorized for use in the US.

Maybe...

From USA Today "On his second day in office, President Biden said he would invoke the Defense Production Act to speed up COVID-19 vaccine production. Whether that can rapidly increase output is an open question, experts say."

Are the vaccines or syringes even made in the US or can they be?
Don't think it will help if they are overseas.

My state (Pa) has no plan that I can find.

Last edited:
The Florida Surgeon General announced vaccines will be available only for Florida residents. Lots of news sources reporting this. https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...-to-restrict-covid-vaccine-to-state-residents

The state is now giving vaccines to Publix pharmacies. Their system for booking appointments is, to be polite, less than robust.

They have it at my publix. Setup was a small table, for one person doing booking, plonked in the main walkway outside the pharmacy, with plexi divider, and a paper sign. Looked less organized than girl scout cookie sellers, poor thing. Still, I like the idea of that flexibility when they get around to my age group.

My 75 yo parents had to drive a half hour to the county downtown health dept. last week to get theirs - they'd never been in the vicinity so took a test drive the afternoon before to be sure they'd have no problems finding it despite both being quite with it and GPS-functional.

And can't say I'm not happy that they are trying to limit the well-known "vaccine tourism" that was popping up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom