Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother and SIL in west Texas got their first vaccinations a week ago. They were eligible being age 69 and had tried for weeks to get an online appointment and had signed up for all the Public Health Department and pharmacy waiting lists. Then a friend who worked at a medical center called them out of the blue to say that 2/3 of their healthcare workers had declined the vaccine so there were extras and could they get there that afternoon and who else did they know that might be available.

Don't the healthcare workers have to make an appointment for the vaccine like everyone else? They do in my county, if they don't want it and aren't making an appointment it shouldn't result in unused vaccines. I'm sure there could be some last minute appointment no shows, most places have a standby list to deal with that.

Don't the healthcare workers have to make an appointment for the vaccine like everyone else? They do in my county, if they don't want it and aren't making an appointment it shouldn't result in unused vaccines. I'm sure there could be some last minute appointment no shows, most places have a standby list to deal with that.
Here hospital, doctor practices associated with hospitals, and nursing home staff were given the option of getting a shot at work in a clinic type setting.

I don't get that health-care workers can opt out of the vaccine. Can patients opt out of having contact with them? If not, maybe they need to find another line of work.

DW and I were talking about the whole Covid/vaccination thing last night. Considering that the virus has mutated several times already, we're pondering whether we'll be looking forward to a seasonal Covid shot, just like the flu.

I don't get that health-care workers can opt out of the vaccine. Can patients opt out of having contact with them? If not, maybe they need to find another line of work.

DW and I were talking about the whole Covid/vaccination thing last night. Considering that the virus has mutated several times already, we're pondering whether we'll be looking forward to a seasonal Covid shot, just like the flu.

My big worry with the mutating Covid, is that by the time I can get a shot, a new vaccine will be out for the newer Covid, and the line will start over.

This thing is mutating faster than we can vaccinate :eek:

I got my first shot, Moderna, at the Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth, TX yesterday. It was extremely well run. Their goal is to vaccinate up to 10,000 people a day. I was in and out of there (including the 15 minute wait afterwards) in about 45 minutes. I hope more cities can get something like this set up so that large numbers of people can get vaccinated quicker. Having said that, I know that many people can not go to something like this, so rolling the vaccine out to the Walmarts, CVS's and Walgreens, etc. of the world will also help a lot.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronav...CV2fd5f15mA6-2amKdisV6YUL5A9ZkH39BsFPBgSA65QU

I imagine it’s because this is all operating under an emergency use authorization and not a full approval of the vaccines. Once they get full approval I bet hospitals change their policy and require vaccination.

DW and I arrived at our doctor's office about 10 mins ago. Gonna get first shot any moment now.

DW and I arrived at our doctor's office about 10 mins ago. Gonna get first shot any moment now.

I'm up at 11:40 CST. I wonder when the symptoms start and how bad they are. I'd like to go buy some hardware / supplies immediately after and then do some woodworking this afternoon.

I live in a Rural county in California. Demographically, it has a larger percentage of elderly than in metro areas. To date, our county has only received the vaccine once and it was a mere pittance compared to those over age 65 who live here. According to the county website, they won't receive any more vaccine for at least 3 more weeks and won't be taking any appointments until they have the vaccine in hand.
In the meantime, the next county over, Sacramento, where the state capital is located, has lots of vaccine available for those 65 and older. Trying to sign up there, it won't go through because they ask my zipcode and since I'm not in-county, I'm rejected. However, I put down my son's zip code who does live in that county and I can easily make an appointment. I won't of course. At the very least, they'll discover my ruse when I show them my ID. I'm guessing one has to prove who they are at some time as well as their qualifying criteria such as age.
But the point in posting is that California is one of the states with the least number of population vaccinated and it's likely because they have the least efficient means of getting it into those communities where the elderly lives. My opinion, but I think the government simply forgets that it has any population to consider outside of their major metropolitan areas such as LA and SF. Or at least they act like the problem to administer to those densely populated areas has be addressed before the outlying areas. It's like a wide spread power outage; the power restoration resources are focused on the areas that have the most likelihood of getting the most lights turned back on, while those in rural areas can wait weeks. Yet those in rural areas are the most vulnerable to the effects of a power outage than those who live in a metro area. In the virus case, we have the least number of ICU beds for example.
It's messed up thinking when disenfranchised are not given same consideration.

Last edited:
I'm up at 11:40 CST. I wonder when the symptoms start and how bad they are. I'd like to go buy some hardware / supplies immediately after and then do some woodworking this afternoon.

I doubt you’ll notice anything the first afternoon other than injection site if that.

I live in a Rural county in California. Demographically, it has a larger percentage of elderly than in metro areas. To date, our county has only received the vaccine once and it was a mere pittance compared to those over age 65 who live here. According to the county website, they won't receive any more vaccine for at least 3 more weeks and won't be taking any appointments until they have the vaccine in hand.
In the meantime, the next county over, Sacramento, where the state capital is located, has lots of vaccine available for those 65 and older. Trying to sign up there, it won't go through because they ask my zipcode and since I'm not in-county, I'm rejected. However, I put down my son's zip code who does live in that county and I can easily make an appointment. I won't of course. At the very least, they'll discover my ruse when I show them my ID. I'm guessing one has to prove who they are at some time as well as their qualifying criteria such as age.
But the point in posting is that California is one of the states with the least number of population vaccinated and it's likely because they have the least efficient means of getting it into those communities where the elderly lives. My opinion, but I think the government simply forgets that it has any population to consider outside of their major metropolitan areas such as LA and SF. Or at least they act like the problem to administer to those densely populated areas has be addressed before the outlying areas. It's like a wide spread power outage; the power restoration resources are focused on the areas that have the most likelihood of getting the most lights turned back on, while those in rural areas can wait weeks. Yet those in rural areas are the most vulnerable to the effects of a power outage than those who live in a metro area. In the virus case, we have the least number of ICU beds for example.
It's messed up thinking when disenfranchised are not given same consideration.
Feds are shipping directly to pharmacies next week. Do you have Albertsons, CVS, Walgreens, or Rite Aid?

And yes. I turned down registering for the vaccine appointnent Sunday. (Was supposed to go to Safeway the next day) Leaving it for those in high risk 1st

I think you'll be fine after shot #1.

Some people have noticed a dull headache even while waiting in the 15-min. post-shot waiting zone.

My sister said her prime rib dinner afterwards tasted funny. I had the same meal and it was fine.

My Bro-in-law had a tender/sore arm for 3 days following shot #1.

All 3 of us will be getting shot #2 this afternoon.

omni

The health care workers I know where given a day and time to get their shot at work.

FWIW, many of them were initially surprised when I did not get my shot in early January. When I explained that shot appointments filled up rapidly, and that I had spent hours searching in vain trying to find one, they looked amazed. Apparently, they assumed their experiences was the same as that the rest of us. Just show up at work, the drugstore or the doctor's office, get your shot, and go on your way.

Last edited:
Feds are shipping directly to pharmacies next week. Do you have Albertsons, CVS, Walgreens, or Rite Aid?

And yes. I turned down registering for the vaccine appointnent Sunday. (Was supposed to go to Safeway the next day) Leaving it for those in high risk 1st

Our distribution is SAFEWAY markets. However, no reservations are being taken. Can not sign up.

Here's clip from their website;
There has been significant interest across the County from the people who are eligible to receive a vaccine. Please note that clinics are only allowing appointments to be scheduled based on how many doses they have available. Currently, appointments are full through mid-February at the County's Public Health offices and all six Safeway pharmacies.

SAFEWAY PHARMACY CLINICS (M-F 10am-5:30pm or 6:30 pm as noted below) (Moderna) CURRENTLY FULL AT ALL STORE LOCATIONS; NOT ACCEPTING REGISTRATIONS FOR APPOINTMENTS. AWAITING ADDITIONAL VACCINE ALLOCATION FROM THE STATE.

EL DORADO COUNTY PUBLIC HEALTH CLINICS (Pfizer and Moderna, depending on office) CURRENTLY FULL; NOT ACCEPTING REGISTRATIONS FOR EITHER OFFICE. AWAITING ADDITIONAL VACCINE ALLOCATION FROM THE STATE.

This particular message has been posted since Mid January. They opened signups, were inundated with requests and filled up in a matter of minutes. Since then, no more appointments or vaccine.

I live in a Rural county in California....

Be happy. At least El Dorado County has one of the lowest infection rates in the state. You could live in Ventura County like me - worst infection rate in the state and equally pitiful vaccine rollout. At the current rate I'll see my shot sometime in 2023.

My big worry with the mutating Covid, is that by the time I can get a shot, a new vaccine will be out for the newer Covid, and the line will start over.

This thing is mutating faster than we can vaccinate :eek:

I don't mean to be a downer, but I am a bit discouraged by this as well. I heard the UK variant has already mutated... Hopefully, the vaccine I will receive has some protection against the new variants and a booster shot or another vaccine to fully cover different variants will follow soon after...

I doubt you’ll notice anything the first afternoon other than injection site if that.
I think you're right. Maybe a little soreness when I move the injected arm.

I think you'll be fine after shot #1.

Some people have noticed a dull headache even while waiting in the 15-min. post-shot waiting zone.

My sister said her prime rib dinner afterwards tasted funny. I had the same meal and it was fine.

My Bro-in-law had a tender/sore arm for 3 days following shot #1.

All 3 of us will be getting shot #2 this afternoon.

omni

Yep nothing so far. Everyone in our 15 minute zone looked ok. Our place was running like a well oiled machine. Lots of volunteers and 10 vaccine stations. I was in and out in 20 minutes.

Good luck to the 3 of you for no soreness on shot 2!

I'm so depressed. Was able to get first dose of vaccine on 1/21 but can't seem to book an appointment for the 2nd dose which is due on 2/11. I now I'm wondering if I even want it. The news is so negative, CNN says not to travel, eat in restaurants, etc even if you have had both doses and sounds like the vaccine is not even going to be effective against all the various variants. This is never going to end.

I'm so depressed. Was able to get first dose of vaccine on 1/21 but can't seem to book an appointment for the 2nd dose which is due on 2/11. I now I'm wondering if I even want it. The news is so negative, CNN says not to travel, eat in restaurants, etc even if you have had both doses and sounds like the vaccine is not even going to be effective against all the various variants. This is never going to end.

It's unusual that your second wasn't scheduled when you got your first? Either way, it's not bad if it happens later than the 3-4 week window.

I think a lot of the news (which I don't watch or listen to, just read a little), is intentionally a bit over cautious because well... the other variants sure, but also, until we get to herd immunity and the rates go down it's better to be safer.

Most of the early research says these existing vaccines should still be pretty darn effective, if not 95% still far better than I'd have hoped for a year ago.

It's unusual that your second wasn't scheduled when you got your first? Either way, it's not bad if it happens later than the 3-4 week window.

I think a lot of the news (which I don't watch or listen to, just read a little), is intentionally a bit over cautious because well... the other variants sure, but also, until we get to herd immunity and the rates go down it's better to be safer.

Most of the early research says these existing vaccines should still be pretty darn effective, if not 95% still far better than I'd have hoped for a year ago.

^ This.

Plus I've seen a number of reports saying even if the vaccines prove to be less effective against the variants, they will almost certainly reduce your chances of becoming seriously ill should you contract Covid.

Please keep trying to get that second dose.

UK says new study vindicates delaying 2nd virus vaccine shot

It sounds like you might be fine. even though you got a different vaccine, here is some information: "Britain’s health chief has hailed a new study suggesting that a single dose of the Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine provides a high level of protection for 12 weeks, saying it supports the government’s contentious strategy of delaying the second shot so it can protect more people quickly with a first dose.

Britain’s decision has been criticized as risky by other European countries, but Health Secretary Matt Hancock said Wednesday that the study “backs the strategy that we’ve taken and it shows the world that the Oxford vaccine works effectively.”

https://apnews.com/article/uk-study-2nd-virus-vaccine-shot-delay-53c40e579c3209a77ffc6ca798aff1a7

I'm so depressed. Was able to get first dose of vaccine on 1/21 but can't seem to book an appointment for the 2nd dose which is due on 2/11. I now I'm wondering if I even want it.

AstraZeneca is saying that at least for their vaccine, it’s MORE effective when the second dose is given later.

I have a friend that got her first dose at a provider that is no longer giving vaccines for some reason. So she could not get a second dose appt. So she just signed up for a first dose appt at a vaccine site giving the same kind of vaccine she had for her first and off she went. Probably not the way it is suppose to work but it worked for her.

Last edited:
It sounds like you might be fine. even though you got a different vaccine, here is some information: "Britain’s health chief has hailed a new study suggesting that a single dose of the Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine provides a high level of protection for 12 weeks, saying it supports the government’s contentious strategy of delaying the second shot so it can protect more people quickly with a first dose.

Britain’s decision has been criticized as risky by other European countries, but Health Secretary Matt Hancock said Wednesday that the study “backs the strategy that we’ve taken and it shows the world that the Oxford vaccine works effectively.”

https://apnews.com/article/uk-study-2nd-virus-vaccine-shot-delay-53c40e579c3209a77ffc6ca798aff1a7

This is for specifically for the AstraZeneca vaccine. However, some delay in getting a second dose is not of great concern.

We made sure DH had a second appointment, and most everyone I’ve talked to was given a second appointment at their first dose.

AstraZeneca is saying that at least for their vaccine, it’s MORE effective when the second dose is given later.
When you think about it, it's quite unlikely that covid-19 vaccine makers hit the optimum time gap between shots at least as far as the maximum gap acceptable. That's because trying to evaluate long gaps would take far too much time to accomplish when it was so critical to get the vaccines out as quickly as possible. The recommended time gaps are probably just enough to provide the benefits associated with the two shot approach. I've had my first shot and have my second shot scheduled for the 28 days afterward considered proper for the Moderna vaccine. But it would not concern me greatly if that second shot was delayed a couple extra weeks insofar as the ultimate degree of protection is concerned. I also think the variants, while troubling, shouldn't induce despair. The existing vaccines will likely still pretty much eliminate the threat of serious disease or death while effective boosters are developed. Meanwhile, a significant reduction in infections will also significantly reduce the viral mutation rate and thus slow the development of vaccine resistant variants. We will get this pandemic under control!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom