Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Covid Vaccine Distribution
Old 02-18-2021, 08:04 AM   #1921
Moderator Emeritus

Covid Vaccine Distribution

Got an email from the county health dept to register for my 2nd dose. Did so and I’m going in on 3/3. 2 weeks before jury duty starts. Perfect timing to get a vaccine before being sequestered in an enclosed room with a bunch of people.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2021, 08:56 AM   #1922
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW and I got first dose, (Moderna), Feb. 10th and are scheduled for 2nd Dose on March 15th. We have both had 2 dentist appts. in the past 10 months and also 1 doctors appt in Dec. - Didn't feel unsafe during any of those and the Dr. did the regular exam sans mask or gloves.
Second Pfizer shot
Old 02-18-2021, 09:37 AM   #1923

Second Pfizer shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I had the shot at 2:00 today. At about 6:00 pm my arm started to burn a little, so I popped a couple of Advil and it soon settled down. I had abstained from any NSAIDS for the past 48 hours, but the nurse who administered the shot said it was fine to take them afterwards if needed. So far I have no other side effects.

I should know in a few hours which way it's going to go!
And now I know!

I slept off and on last night. It was hard to get too comfortable because of the arm soreness.

I woke up a few minutes ago with a bit more arm soreness; fatigue; a low-grade fever of 99.8, and all-over achiness like I would expect with the flu.

Nothing to write home about, and far preferable to even a mild case of Covid.

It's a good thing I'm a retired bum and can stay in bed/on the couch all day, hydrating and popping Advil.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:45 AM   #1924
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hoping to get the 2nd dose soon. Alas, the big freeze to the East and South is delaying delivery of vaccines to my area, so that may put the vaccination mega-site on ice for a week or so.

Edit: I heard on the local news that the delayed shipments are Moderna vaccine. I wonder if others have heard information regarding delayed vaccine shipments and which vaccine is involved.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:43 AM   #1925
Give me a forum ...

Ronstar, I am surprised about the jury duty. I bet everyone will be separated by plexiglass. Still good you have the vaccine.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:12 AM   #1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Hoping to get the 2nd dose soon. Alas, the big freeze to the East and South is delaying delivery of vaccines to my area, so that may put the vaccination mega-site on ice for a week or so.

Edit: I heard on the local news that the delayed shipments are Moderna vaccine. I wonder if others have heard information regarding delayed vaccine shipments and which vaccine is involved.
It's both Pfizer and Moderna.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...ather/2524250/

Quote:
At a weekly news briefing focused on COVID-19 updates, San Diego County Supervisor Nathan Fletcher said the county had received word that several shipments of both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine scheduled to arrive this week in San Diego County will not be arriving due to inclement weather impacting the country.
Moderna's primary manufacturing facility is in Michigan, while Pfizer’s is in Massachusetts, county officials said.

Fletcher said routes from those facilities to San Diego County have been impacted by the severe winter weather.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:25 AM   #1927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim View Post
We abstained from all drugs and alcohol two days before and two days after.
This is essentially what I'm planning to do, as well. Definitely will be avoiding any sort of medication that affects the immune system in any way. So, no NSAIDs or Tylenol for me, either right before or right after the shots. Apparently, some health officials are saying it's OK to take pain relief meds after getting the shots (not before), but others are saying it's best to avoid them altogether in order to get the best possible immune response. So I think I'll just suffer through any short-term pain or fever.

I'm not aware of any official recommendations to avoid alcohol before or after getting vaccinated, but it does seem plausible that alcohol could suppress the immune system to a small degree. A few days away from wine is a very small price to pay, even for only a potentially minor improvement in immune response.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:31 AM   #1928
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Got an email from the county health dept to register for my 2nd dose. Did so and I’m going in on 3/3. 2 weeks before jury duty starts. Perfect timing to get a vaccine before being sequestered in an enclosed room with a bunch of people.
Why can't they do it by Zoom or similar app ?
Often they just televise in the offender to be decided if bail or trial is needed, so it seems a small step to zoom.

Are they going to insist on covid tests of negative before you and the others go in ?
Old 02-18-2021, 11:33 AM   #1929
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Hoping to get the 2nd dose soon. Alas, the big freeze to the East and South is delaying delivery of vaccines to my area,
Our vaccine deliveries have paused due to the weather too.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...9772967e1.html
Old 02-18-2021, 11:37 AM   #1930

The delays have impacted most states...or are at least a commonly cited reason for current delays.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:54 AM   #1931

Got my first (Pfizer) jab yesterday; minimal side effects (lack of appetite) and, barely even felt the jab. Have appointment for second jab in 3 wks. My medical provider had set up in the warehouse district of SF, in a neighborhood that locals 'lovingly' call the Dog Patch.

My search efforts through the five sources available to me yielded no appointments for ~2 wks then, evening before last, BOOM - lots of appointments available through one provider. They must have received a slug of vaccine.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:46 PM   #1932
Recycles dryer sheets

I've worked a few volunteer shifts at one of the local Oregon Health Sciences University mass vaccinations sites; they're using Red Cross volunteers to help run the site along with hospital volunteers. It seems pretty well organized, set up in the Portland airport economy parking lot. All drive-through under tents, so you never leave your car. There is a registration station where they check appointments and schedule the second shot, another station where the shots are administered, and then a monitored area where they keep you until your waiting time expires. The shot time and waiting period are written on your windshield, and the waiting area has RNs walking the aisles of waiting cars.

They're set up to handle three shifts and 7,500 to 10,000 vaccinations per day once they have adequate vaccine supply.

Our job is mostly traffic control, so there is minimal contact with anyone and we're all issued masks and face shields. It's been a little cold and rainy out there some days, but it still feels good to be contributing a little to the effort.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:27 PM   #1933

First shots for us scheduled for Saturday .

DW's persistence paid off.

Virtually all State sponsored vaccination plans were called off this week, due to the snow, EXCEPT the one 15 miles from us. Registration opened this morning, but only to people who had pre-registered on the State site AND received a notification with an event code. We had pre-registered, but did not get an event code.

So, DW does it the old fashioned way. She gets on the phone, waits on hold for about 15 minutes, then asks how we go about getting an event code, thinking we can be better prepared for the next time. She gets the expected answer that the codes are assigned and emailed according to the pre-registration database, BUT, they just got notified that there are additional slots available for the Saturday event, do we want one?

H3LL yes!

So we are scheduled for 10:30 Saturday morning for the Pfizer vaccine.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:32 PM   #1934
Recycles dryer sheets

That's great news CardsFan!

My whole family was vaccinated on Monday at a local center that had 100 leftover vaccines. When the nurse outlined possible side effects, I kept smiling (under my mask) and saying, yes, yes, yes, sign me up!
Old 02-18-2021, 01:40 PM   #1935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2BRetd View Post
That's great news CardsFan!

My whole family was vaccinated on Monday at a local center that had 100 leftover vaccines. When the nurse outlined possible side effects, I kept smiling (under my mask) and saying, yes, yes, yes, sign me up!

How did you find out about the leftovers? Right place at the right time, or know someone. I've been able to get vaccine appointments for some of my older friends, but I figure to get one for myself before 2022 I'll have to play all the angles.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:52 PM   #1936
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
How did you find out about the leftovers? Right place at the right time, or know someone. I've been able to get vaccine appointments for some of my older friends, but I figure to get one for myself before 2022 I'll have to play all the angles.
Right place, right time. My daughter's second vaccine (she's in a PT program) was rescheduled due to vaccine delivery issues. She felt awkward getting a second vaccine when there are older people who haven't gotten a first one. I told her it didn't make sense to waste the benefit of a first vaccine if she didn't get the second. I asked my husband to go with her and to tell her he wanted to try for a leftover. He got there and they were grabbing bodies since they had so many leftovers. He called me and I grabbed my son and his girlfriend thinking we probably wouldn't make it in time but we did.

There is a center about 15 minutes from our house and they typically have about 5 leftovers every evening. They typically give those out based on age. We were very, very lucky that day. Here in San Diego there are quite a few places to choose from. I think there's a better possibility at the smaller centers here as the bigger centers gather more vaccine hunters. Since they typically go by age, you just need to arrive around closing time.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:31 PM   #1937
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
I've given up on getting the vaccine for now. I have got in the computer lottery 7 times between the county and the local pharmacy and failed to get a ticket. I'm going to get my second Shingles vaccine and then wait at least 14 days before trying for the Covid vaccine again.

Also the lottery starts at 6am on the days that is held. To early, but at least they changed it from 5am.

The alert system is silly, I have got 42 texts from the alert system, 5 of those were telling of the actual lottery, the rest were mostly here's what we have done so far. I wish I could opt out of everything except, here's your chance to sign into the lottery. Frustrating!
That's a PITA, but...
"You gotta be in it to win it!"
Old 02-18-2021, 06:52 PM   #1938
Full time employment: Posting here.

When we got our first Pfizer shot last month, the clinic scheduled us for the second shot 17 days later instead of 21. When asked, they said that 17 was acceptable (4 day window) and they didn't want us to be late.

Even then, I was hearing that a few days late wasn't a problem, but the CDC/Pfizer specifically said not to deliberately schedule in the 4 day early window. So I drove to the clinic the next day (phones were jammed) and got us rescheduled for day 20. Told a couple of friends about what I'd done but they didn't bother.

CNN had a story today that the Pfizer CEO says they actually had people in their study who got the second dose 19-42 later and he's fine with that, but outside of that "it's serious."

Since our 17 day friends have already had their second dose, I guess there's no point in mentioning it to them...
Old 02-19-2021, 02:39 AM   #1939
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Strange how some people have side effects to the vaccine others none--DH and I had 2nd shots of Moderna a week ago and other than sore arm no side effects whatever.
Consider yourselves lucky! The CDC card that the RN gave me to prove I have had both Moderna shots I will treat it like gold. It should as allow me to travel when safe to do to other places as I would show the card to immigration authorities. I will continue to mask up properly and social distance.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:04 AM   #1940
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
Consider yourselves lucky! The CDC card that the RN gave me to prove I have had both Moderna shots I will treat it like gold. It should as allow me to travel when safe to do to other places as I would show the card to immigration authorities. I will continue to mask up properly and social distance.
Yes, I have that card too. I made pictures of the card with my phone and downloaded them into my computer for safe keeping and made hard copies and put in my safe. Some day we may need that vaccination "passport" to be able to do many things.
Closed Thread