Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 02:03 PM   #1961
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
It's 20+ miles each way. And yes, too far, limited local availability but I'll wait. It's opening up so rapidly they're calling to get people in
Good luck on finding a location near you.

We got our first and are scheduled for our second shot at a location 38 miles away (76 miles round trip) and were absolutely thrilled to have the opportunity to get it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2021, 02:06 PM   #1962
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In the beginning it was impossible to find any available appointments locally, so I drove 21 miles each way to a clinic connected to the major hospital system in the state. I have been a patient of the same hospital system locally for 20+ years, so I had confidence the other clinic also knew what they were doing!

I wasn't thrilled about having to navigate to a place I'd never been before, but I was less thrilled about having to wait who knows how long for a local spot.

Bird in the hand, and all that.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:10 PM   #1963
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is SO frustrating!!! The county keeps calling me to 'accept' an appointment in either Hercules, Richmond's iron triangle, or Discovery Bay .... all over 20 miles from my home. Not happening. Especially since the local supermarket is also giving it

I was excused from jury duty (60+)
Just out of curiosity what is your magic mileage number for driving to be protected? I imagine that people in your position drive state and local vaccination providers up a tree.

Perhaps some day they will bring the vaccine directly to your house. It's not really a problem to anyone but you, since someone will take the vaccine you don't want.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:27 PM   #1964

Quote:
all over 20 miles from my home. Not happening. Especially since the local supermarket is also giving it.
Wow. I'd gladly drive 200+ miles each way if I could get the vaccine.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:41 PM   #1965
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24601NoMore View Post
Wow. I'd gladly drive 200+ miles each way if I could get the vaccine.
Not me. I'm on Gayl's side on this one!
Old 02-19-2021, 02:46 PM   #1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
DH and I received our second Pfizer vaccine this morning. So relieved to have both of these shots, so I don't have to worry about weather and trying to get there. Very pleased with how WV has handled this process. No side effects yet.
I wanted to update that DH and I felt a little fatigued that night and the next day. I also felt like I had what I call a half of headache the next day. I felt a little off. DH said that his joints hurt the next day. We both woke up on 2/17/21 and felt completely back to normal.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:11 PM   #1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Just out of curiosity what is your magic mileage number for driving to be protected? I imagine that people in your position drive state and local vaccination providers up a tree.

Perhaps some day they will bring the vaccine directly to your house. It's not really a problem to anyone but you, since someone will take the vaccine you don't want.
CVS & Safeway are within walking distance (4 miles RT). Safeway has a waiting list / CVS won't offer to my group until March. March is basically next weekend
Old 02-19-2021, 03:16 PM   #1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Not me. I'm on Gayl's side on this one!
This is a bit like the "What would you do if you won the lottery" thread. But got me thinking. 20 miles away is a blink of an eye, of course I'd go that far. 200 miles, probably not. That's at least 6 hours. One might argue "what else have I got to do", but I might miss SGOTI saying something about the pandemic that's "wrong"
Old 02-19-2021, 03:32 PM   #1969

I drove DW to a CVS in the next county over to get her jab last week. No big deal for us.

She talked to a woman there who had driven 80 miles to get there and said she was happy because she had another appointment 200 miles across the state from her that she could cancel.

Some people are motivated to get their jab. Some people not so much.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:35 PM   #1970
Full time employment: Posting here.

We were aggressive in finding a location an hour away and took the vaccine the literally the first chance we got.
Although we have been very careful to reduce exposures, every day before vaccination is another chance for something unexpected to cause an exposure.
The current weather delays were semi-predictable, and there's always "out of the blue" stuff like a fire at the vaccination factory, having a heart attack and going into a hospital that houses Covid patients, etc.
One of our adult daughters has a saying that "Life is full of choices. Choose wisely."
She usually repeats that saying any time a friend makes a bad choice and gets bit in the ass.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:03 PM   #1971

I guess it's all relative. 20 miles is quite a way here ..... all the way to SF or Oakland. And I'd pass a number of vaccine sites to get there.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:41 PM   #1972

I'm in SW FL.

A few weeks ago, someone on Nextdoor posted that he and his wife drove 1100 miles to TX to get their shots.

And my neighbor and her hubby drove to Richmond VA (934 miles one way) for their shots.

omni
Old 02-19-2021, 06:48 PM   #1973

That's CRAZY!!!!!! I thought we weren't supposed to travel more than 120 miles RT ! How do you eat, sleep (I guess cramped up in car), etc? Nope. I'll get mine when I can walk there, have a cup of coffee during my 15 minute wait, walk home
Old 02-19-2021, 06:53 PM   #1974

Quote:
That's CRAZY!!!!!! I thought we weren't supposed to travel more than 120 miles RT ! How do you eat, sleep (I guess cramped up in car), etc? Nope. I'll get mine when I can walk there, have a cup of coffee during my 15 minute wait, walk home
Enjoy the wait.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:25 PM   #1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Enjoy the wait
Thank you, I don't mind the wait.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:53 PM   #1976
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
I'm in SW FL.

A few weeks ago, someone on Nextdoor posted that he and his wife drove 1100 miles to TX to get their shots.

And my neighbor and her hubby drove to Richmond VA (934 miles one way) for their shots.

omni
I assume they are residents of those states and have to get their shot there?
Old 02-19-2021, 08:31 PM   #1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I assume they are residents of those states and have to get their shot there?

Florida is giving shots to anyone over 65...even Canadians!

Over in Miami, early-on they had visitors from Argentina and other S. American countries fly in for "vaccine tourism". I think they're now cracking down on some of the flagrant abuse.

In fact, around here they are now requiring 2 pieces of proof of a minimum of 31-days residency (lease, utility bills, etc) to eliminate folks merely coming for the vaccine.

Because it's "season" and tons of seniors are here, it's really a mad scramble around here to get an appointment. I've heard of people driving up to Tallahassee (400 miles one way) once they were able to get an appointment.

My neighbor and her husband (both in their 80s) live in Richmond, VA and rent here in SW FL in season. So when they heard there was an opportunity for their vaccines in Richmond, they drove up to get their shots.

The guy on Nextdoor made it sound like his daughter lives in TX and somehow was able to get appointments for him and his wife.

omni
Old 02-19-2021, 11:05 PM   #1978
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Civic Center in Amarillo/Potter County is providing vaccines regardless of state or county residency:

https://www.texasstandard.org/storie...ond-panhandle/

There was an article a couple of weeks ago in the Santa Fe New Mexican newspaper that estimated more than 400 New Mexicans had obtained vaccinations in Amarillo. I don't consider it appropriate but most of those interviewed were in their late 70's, had close ties to Texas, and were frustrated at the slow pace of vaccination in NM. The 1B 75+ became eligible on Jan 10 in NM and less than 50% currently have their first shot. There is a state vaccine registration system with eligible persons selected at random for appointments - nothing you can do to be selected earlier. Now 1B age 16 to 74 with chronic conditions are also eligible (about 30-40% of the state population) and the Governor seems to be adding in even more groups. Healthy baby boomers are way down the list after many essential workers, including teachers who are lobbying heavily to be re-prioritized.

The Amarillo mass clinics are first come first serve and have been delayed or cancelled a couple of times so you are taking some risk to drive that far (4 hours or more) for nothing. If there were appointments available, it would be tempting to try to get one. I would be okay with the drive and just stay in a motel overnight.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:30 PM   #1979
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
The Civic Center in Amarillo/Potter County is providing vaccines regardless of state or county residency:

https://www.texasstandard.org/storie...ond-panhandle/

There was an article a couple of weeks ago in the Santa Fe New Mexican newspaper that estimated more than 400 New Mexicans had obtained vaccinations in Amarillo. I don't consider it appropriate but most of those interviewed were in their late 70's, had close ties to Texas, and were frustrated at the slow pace of vaccination in NM. The 1B 75+ became eligible on Jan 10 in NM and less than 50% currently have their first shot. There is a state vaccine registration system with eligible persons selected at random for appointments - nothing you can do to be selected earlier. Now 1B age 16 to 74 with chronic conditions are also also eligible (about 30-40% of the state population) and the Governor seems to be adding in even more groups. Healthy baby boomers are way down the list after many essential workers, including teachers who are heavily lobbying to be re-prioritized.

The Amarillo mass clinics are first come first serve and have been delayed or cancelled a couple of times so you are taking some risk to drive that far (4 hours or more). If there were appointments available, it would be tempting to try to get one. I would be okay with the drive and just stay in a motel overnight.
If Texas was having warmer weather, it could be worth a holiday car trip
Old 02-20-2021, 03:52 AM   #1980

In Fairfax County VA. I registered 18 Jan. There were 42,000 people registered on 18th and they are getting about 13K doses a week or 3 1/2 weeks to do one day of registration. Been couple weeks they are scheduling appointments for people registered on 18th so I'm hoping sometime next week to get an appointment, worse case next 10 days ? No idea where in the 42,000 my name is. DW is on list with Kaiser waiting on her call. We are both optimistic we will get first shot in a couple weeks but sure is difficult to just sit and wait.