Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 07:30 PM   #2141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got my first Pfizer shot today, the second is March 20th.

Then this evening, I got an email from Kaiser that I can schedule my shot there. Oh well, too late. I don't want to switch midstream, I don't know which vaccine Kaiser is using.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2021, 08:46 PM   #2142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I’ve been keeping an eagle eye on the graphs mostly via New York Times Covid Statistics page. The dramatic drop in cases since Jan seems to have stalled recently about the level of the prior July wave peak. I’m hoping we see another big drop soon as well as a much larger reduction in daily deaths.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:13 PM   #2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I’ve been keeping an eagle eye on the graphs mostly via New York Times Covid Statistics page. The dramatic drop in cases since Jan seems to have stalled recently about the level of the prior July wave peak. I’m hoping we see another big drop soon as well as a much larger reduction in daily deaths.
I was hoping for a continued drop in cases and deaths, too.

Dr. Duc Vuong thinks the recent drop was merely due to cold weather in much of the country thus keeping people at home, along with the "meh" months of January and February that don't have holidays (after NYE) that result in big gatherings. He's predicting that warmer weather will start bringing people out to mix and mingle, plus celebrations due to St. Patrick's and Easter. He's also surmising that seniors, vacationers, and spring breakers in Florida (an area with the more virulent UK variant of Covid) will be carrying that variant home with them, thus spreading it further around the country. He's forecasting that these, along with Covid fatigue (less care in masking, social distancing, less testing, etc.) will result in a fourth wave.

Time will tell.

omni
Old 02-27-2021, 09:13 PM   #2144

My doctor approx 6 miles from my house and offered 1st Pfizer on 3 Feb. 21 days later we got the 2nd. We had registered with the county but they never contacted us until after we already had the first jab.

BTW: I happened to be in Walmart today and they were giving the pfizer shot in the store. I think

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:23 PM   #2145
Recycles dryer sheets

They are opening up for 55+ here in Connecticut on Monday. Out of curiosity I checked the Walgreens site this evening and found plenty of appointments nearby. So we've got our first shot scheduled for Tuesday and the second shot scheduled for a month from then.

We weren't expecting get it until early summer so we are quite happy!
Covid Vaccine Distribution
Old 02-27-2021, 09:51 PM   #2146
Give me a forum ...

Covid Vaccine Distribution

Be glad we are not Europe. In some countries stockpiles of the AstraZeneca vaccine are growing due to public uncertainty over its effectiveness. Some countries have only injected 20 to 30% of their doses.

It seems that a political kerfuffle a few weeks ago, has given the citizens cause to wonder if that vaccine is worth getting. Spain, Italy, Germany, and France have a large number of doses sitting on the shelves. We’re talking over 60 percent of the vaccine unused.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:52 PM   #2147

I become eligible on Monday. I secured an appointment for Wed.!

Many a slip, 'twixt cup and lip, but I hope it comes through!
Old 02-28-2021, 01:03 AM   #2148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I hope that's true but the declines in all the numbers in January was occurring all over the world, including in places which didn't have a very active vaccination program.

If any place is going to see positive results, you'd expect it to be Israel, perhaps about a month from now.
I wasn't addressing the declines in January. I am talking about what I think we will see in the US after 50% of the over 65 population is fully vaccinated. Of course have to wait 2 weeks after that and probably another months as deaths in the first month after that probably reflect people who got sick before. So really talking about declines we might expect to see in April and May.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:09 AM   #2149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post

Dr. Duc Vuong thinks the recent drop was merely due to cold weather in much of the country thus keeping people at home, along with the "meh" months of January and February that don't have holidays (after NYE) that result in big gatherings. He's predicting that warmer weather will start bringing people out to mix and mingle, plus celebrations due to St. Patrick's and Easter. He's also surmising that seniors, vacationers, and spring breakers in Florida (an area with the more virulent UK variant of Covid) will be carrying that variant home with them, thus spreading it further around the country. He's forecasting that these, along with Covid fatigue (less care in masking, social distancing, less testing, etc.) will result in a fourth wave.

Time will tell.

omni
Interesting as the rise in cases in early November was attributed to cooler weather and people spending more time indoors, particularly gatherings having to be brought indoors due to cold weather. Even though this virus doesn’t go away in hot weather, there does seem to be more of an increase due to cold weather.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:12 AM   #2150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNU View Post
They are opening up for 55+ here in Connecticut on Monday. Out of curiosity I checked the Walgreens site this evening and found plenty of appointments nearby. So we've got our first shot scheduled for Tuesday and the second shot scheduled for a month from then.

We weren't expecting get it until early summer so we are quite happy!
I wish! And I’d love to get the Pfizer vaccine!
Old 02-28-2021, 03:13 AM   #2151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I wasn't addressing the declines in January. I am talking about what I think we will see in the US after 50% of the over 65 population is fully vaccinated. Of course have to wait 2 weeks after that and probably another months as deaths in the first month after that probably reflect people who got sick before. So really talking about declines we might expect to see in April and May.
Exactly.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:02 AM   #2152

Our local newspaper here in rural NW Pennsylvania ran an article yesterday that summarized our local hospital's ongoing efforts to vaccinate. I thought this quote was interesting...

"When vaccine shipments first began arriving in mid-December, the state's vaccination plan was to make health care workers a priority. The hospital has about 1,400 employees, but only about half decided to get the vaccine. Vaccine then was provided to other qualifiers at the time — doctors, home health care workers and dental personnel, but again, only about half wanted vaccinations..."
Old 02-28-2021, 05:09 AM   #2153

Now that my DW and 91 YO DM are vaccinated I breathing a little easier. Not that I'm not continuing to take precautions.
It's tough when your a healthy, fit 64 YO. If I only knew I shouldn't have taken such good care of myself when I ER'd 5 years ago.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:36 AM   #2154
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
Our local newspaper here in rural NW Pennsylvania ran an article yesterday that summarized our local hospital's ongoing efforts to vaccinate. I thought this quote was interesting...

"When vaccine shipments first began arriving in mid-December, the state's vaccination plan was to make health care workers a priority. The hospital has about 1,400 employees, but only about half decided to get the vaccine. Vaccine then was provided to other qualifiers at the time — doctors, home health care workers and dental personnel, but again, only about half wanted vaccinations..."
One recent quoted estimate in my state was that my group ("everyone else") won't have vaccine availability until May, earliest.

However, my gut feel is that this is wrong. All my friends and acquaintances who were rallying for the vaccine -- including teachers, just this week -- got them very quickly. I suspect it is because of the low uptake. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't open it up much earlier.

But we'll see. My BIL, who is in a remote rural area and over 65, still says he can't get it. I think he just doesn't want to drive or make the effort to go a few miles.

Dr. Gottlieb predicted we'd be going from shortage to pleading to take it. I think we're seeing this playing out now.

Old 02-28-2021, 06:35 AM   #2155
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post

Dr. Gottlieb predicted we'd be going from shortage to pleading to take it. I think we're seeing this playing out now.
I'm hopeful more will be inclined to take it after seeing their friends get vaccinated. I've seen that within my golfing group. But not much you can do with the anti vaccine types. There is a couple in their early 60's living right next door that will never take it. Won't take the flu shot...nothing. I think it has something to do with their religious beliefs.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:02 AM   #2156
Administrator

I don't know if this is behind the paywall, but it is a link to an article in the NY Times about how Connecticut is doing on vaccination and in particular about the mass vaccination site at Rentschler Field. I found it interesting:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/28/h...ine-sites.html

Quote:
The drive-through mass vaccination site on a defunct airstrip here in East Hartford, outside Connecticut’s capital, shows the promise and the drawbacks of the approach.

Run by a nonprofit health clinic, the site has become one of the state’s largest distributors of shots since it opened six weeks ago, and its efficiency has helped Connecticut become a success story. Only Alaska, New Mexico, West Virginia and the Dakotas have administered more doses per 100,000 residents.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:07 AM   #2157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
+1 I agree. I am starting to see the same thing as people who have been unable to get an appointment in the past are now getting their shots. It still looks like a majority of shots at many super clinics will be going to those who need shot number 2. They are clearing the decks for shot #1 people by mid March.

Dr. Gottlieb is like Dr. Fauci. You have to listen carefully to what they actually say. Both use a lot of qualifiers when they make predictions. 10 second sound bites rarely contain the entire message.

IIRC, Dr. G is saying that by May everybody who wants a shot should be able to get it or get an appointment to get it without a big hassle. The key word is 'wants'. As we well know, not everybody wants it. Even in my area - which is very CV prevention compliant - there are folks who just won't bother or don't think it is much of a threat. What can you do? Not much.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:37 AM   #2158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
IIRC, Dr. G is saying that by May everybody who wants a shot should be able to get it or get an appointment to get it without a big hassle. The key word is 'wants'. As we well know, not everybody wants it. Even in my area - which is very CV prevention compliant - there are folks who just won't bother or don't think it is much of a threat. What can you do? Not much.
I also think you have to listen carefully. As a nation we tend to hear that which supports our current thinking and you need to listen with an open mind. DW and I often ask each other “what did you hear from that” and she often gets a different message.

On the take up of vaccinations, I tell her we can control our exposure as we are retired. We do grocery pickup where we never have to leave the car, we can wear a mask, we can decide to visit eateries with outside seating, or none of these. We can and will get vaccinated at earliest opportunity. Bottom line, we can control our exposure points but can’t control others who take less precautions.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:45 AM   #2159
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
It's going to take until April/May just to vaccinate 50% of the old people in IL, as only 6.06% of eligible people are vaccinated, and the current eligibilty list includes over 6 Million in the State, out of 12.x Million.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:47 AM   #2160
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post

Time will tell.

omni
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Interesting as the rise in cases in early November was attributed to cooler weather and people spending more time indoors, particularly gatherings having to be brought indoors due to cold weather. Even though this virus doesn’t go away in hot weather, there does seem to be more of an increase due to cold weather.
I can't remember who it was but one prognostication I read was that we will see cases decline in the summer and people may think it's vaccinations and natural immunity but come the winter, we could see more spikes again, as variants take hold.

And this pattern could hold for several more winters, despite the vaccines.

More than a couple of experts have said that March is going to be worse as the variants spread.
Closed Thread