Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 02:14 PM   #2381
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
We have a similar app here in NC (SlowCovidNC)--I think many states have it, I bet your state does too. I downloaded the app on my phone many months ago but I have never received a notification that I was exposed to Covid. Of course I have not been many public places.
University of Illinois has such an app for university staff and students.

But the general Illinois public - nothing I've found - Our governor was "pondering" an app back in November. https://newschannel20.com/news/local...t-tracing-apps
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2021, 02:21 PM   #2382
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
University of Illinois has such an app for university staff and students.

But the general Illinois public - nothing I've found - Our governor was "pondering" an app back in November. https://newschannel20.com/news/local...t-tracing-apps
The NHS app is based on the Apple/Google Exposure Notification system. (GAEN)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_Notification
Old 03-15-2021, 03:13 PM   #2383
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Wow thats incredible - an app to notify you when you are in a Covid area. I never heard of such a thing.
If you have an iPhone with iOS 14, you can turn on covid tracing and alerts.

No additional app necessary.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/12/07/how-t...ng-iphone-ios/
Old 03-15-2021, 03:17 PM   #2384
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
That’s just bananas.
Bee-ay-en-ay-en-ay-ess..........
Old 03-15-2021, 03:25 PM   #2385
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The NHS app is based on the Apple/Google Exposure Notification system. (GAEN)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_Notification

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
If you have an iPhone with iOS 14, you can turn on covid tracing and alerts.

No additional app necessary.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/12/07/how-t...ng-iphone-ios/
Thanks - I tried it and it doesn't work here in Illinois - "Exposure Notifications have not been turned on for your region by your public health authority". That figures.
Old 03-15-2021, 03:53 PM   #2386
Give me a forum ...

Like harllee, I've been using SlowCovidNC. No notifications. Not expecting many since I've mostly stayed in my hole.

Old 03-15-2021, 06:36 PM   #2387
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sadness, SF just emailed that I'm eligible to sign up for a vaccine since my BMI is over 30, but we just finished our move to San Mateo County (I turned in the keys to our rental house in SF this morning), so... :/
Old 03-15-2021, 07:06 PM   #2388
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retch The Grate View Post
Sadness, SF just emailed that I'm eligible to sign up for a vaccine since my BMI is over 30, but we just finished our move to San Mateo County (I turned in the keys to our rental house in SF this morning), so... :/
So why can you not return to SF and get your shots there? Here in NC people are driving all over the state to get the vaccine, sometimes hundreds of miles.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:59 PM   #2389
Recycles dryer sheets

Connecticut is now open for everyone 55 and above as well as a few other select groups. This Friday they are lowering the age limit to 45. And on April 5th it will be available to the remaining population age 16 and above.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:53 AM   #2390
Give me a forum ...

It took FOREVER to finish the 75 and up group - probably because they included just about everybody with a "special" situation (no, not health, but what they call "front line" which is debatable - well, I take that back. No debate was allowed, but that's another story.)

SO, just a week ago, they dropped it to 70 and up (us) and already, they're down to 65 and up starting this week. It looks like things may be finally opening up. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:44 AM   #2391
Give me a forum ...

Are the non-poor-people taking vaccines that the poor people were trying to get? Then I'm outraged on the poor people's behalf.

Are the non-poor-people taking vaccines that the poor people declined?
Then the local residents have nothing to complain about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
Even in SoCal this requires a certain moral flexibility if a non-poor person wants to take advantage. Over the past week or so we have witnessed the spectacle of lots of fancy cars parked all around one of the poorer neighborhoods in south Los Angeles near a clinic known to have extra doses of the vaccine. The owners of said vehicles - very evidently not residents of the area - line up waiting for the extra shots available at the end of the day, and then scuttle back to their fancy cars and hasten away to their better neighborhoods. Local residents are none too pleased.

Though I am trying to "vaccine hunt" a bit, I can't make myself go to that extent. Moral qualms, how quaint.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:01 AM   #2392
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNU View Post
Connecticut is now open for everyone 55 and above as well as a few other select groups. This Friday they are lowering the age limit to 45. And on April 5th it will be available to the remaining population age 16 and above.
I watched the governor's press conference yesterday. He said that 31% of the population 16 and older have received their first dose, which is right around 1 million people. That leaves about 2 people million to go. However, we know that not everyone will take the vaccine. The take-up rate for those 75+, who have been eligible the longest, is 77%. For 65-74, it is 71% and slowly climbing. If we assume that, as a whole, the take-up rate will be 75%, then that is 1.5 million more first doses.

This site https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/c...-distribution/ suggests that the state is running at about 30k doses per day, with a 2/3 - 1/3 split between 1st and 2d doses, so ~20k 1st doses per day. Governor Lamont said that within 2 weeks, Connecticut's vaccine allocation of 1st doses from the federal government would increase from ~140k per week to ~200k per week, and he has previously said that we can handle as many doses as they can send us. So that should allow them to give out, say, 30k first doses per day, and it will take 50 days to get through 1.5 million people. Which means that pretty much every adult in Connecticut who chooses to be vaccinated will have their first dose by about May 5th. Add four weeks for the second doses and we should have the job substantially done by mid-June.

Then it is just a matter of convincing the reluctant and, once the drug companies have finished their testing regimes, vaccinating the children.

I am feeling hopeful.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:31 AM   #2393
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Are the non-poor-people taking vaccines that the poor people were trying to get? Then I'm outraged on the poor people's behalf.

In NC we're seeing poor counties with poor uptake. This is why the Range Rover drivers are ending up near the chicken farms: the slots are available.

I mentioned earlier that NC has a somewhat silent parallel distribution going on, specifically targeting certain groups, many considered "under-served." My RN friend says some of those targeted clinics go well, while others don't. It depends on a multitude of factors as to their success. These are invitation only and are not widely publicized specifically so that the slots can't be sucked up.

Old 03-16-2021, 09:38 AM   #2394
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

This
What am I doing wrong?
Old 03-16-2021, 09:55 AM   #2395
Give me a forum ...

What am I doing wrong?

I keep reading "things are opening up" and everyone on Facebook has been bragging about getting their shots. It's getting very frustrating that I can't seem to get one.

I was able to get my husband his COVID shots via the county health department, where I also registered back in, I think, December. They have not contacted me. I have no way of knowing where I might be on the wait list.

I have gone to the COVID vaccine web sites for all the participating pharmacies in Florida, searching for availability in a one-county radius (all counties bordering mine). This includes Publix, Winn-Dixie, Walmart, Sam's Club, and CVS. I selected the stores which said they had vaccine available (not all do).

The sign-up field asks if you are eligible (I am) and your city and state. I have entered every town within a 50-mile radius. Even though the site says "vaccine available," every response has been "No vaccine available."

What could I be doing wrong?
Old 03-16-2021, 09:59 AM   #2396
Give me a forum ...

Can you blame them? Yes, it is vulching; but vultures have to live. We are all trying to survive. As long as they are not literally shoving the chicken workers out of the way - that is, they are only getting vaccines with the clinic about to close for the day - I cannot see anything wrong with what they are doing.

Note that I have nothing against special clinics for "underserved" communities, nor against making these clinics invitation-only if that's what it takes to get them vaccinated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
In NC we're seeing poor counties with poor uptake. This is why the Range Rover drivers are ending up near the chicken farms: the slots are available.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:03 AM   #2397
Give me a forum ...

What financial risk is someone taking on by waiting their turn for vaccine vs actively trying to get it somewhere?

If you get unlucky and have to be hospitalized, what are the bills you might face? $15,000 in deductibles?

IMO the government should cover the expenses of a COVID sickness if they want people to wait for a vaccine while everyone is taking off their mask.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:08 AM   #2398
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just got my 1st Moderna jab this morning.

Ohio opened up to 50+ last Thursday. I checked my county website that morning and was able to sign up for today's appointment. On the way out this morning I signed up for jab #2 in 14 days.

The location had about 7 vaccinations "stations" with an intake area for filling out paperwork and another area with chairs for the required 15 minutes afterglow area.

They had lots of people there to help out. Pretty much a well oiled machine. I was impressed considering I'm in a smallish rural county and this was the first day they were using this site.

Thought it was mildly interesting that they didn't check any id or insurance card (DW's experience was they did that at the CVS). They just asked my name and checked me off the list.

Also, two weeks ago DW got her 2nd jab at a CVS drug store. I left my phone number with the pharmacist who said they'd call if they had left over vaccines. I got a call yesterday asking if I wanted to come in since they had a leftover dose. I didn't because I had today's appointment already and they said they would have no trouble finding someone else to use it.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:12 AM   #2399
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Can you blame them? Yes, it is vulching; but vultures have to live. We are all trying to survive. As long as they are not literally shoving the chicken workers out of the way - that is, they are only getting vaccines with the clinic about to close for the day - I cannot see anything wrong with what they are doing.

Note that I have nothing against special clinics for "underserved" communities, nor against making these clinics invitation-only if that's what it takes to get them vaccinated.
On top of that, the county health directors don't want their allotments taken away from the state because they are being directed to achieve a certain percentage vaccinated. So, while they are working hard on publicizing and convincing the locals to get the shot, they are happy to assure their allotment is used. We've had a few local ring county directors get real close to saying "ya'll come down now, hear" without saying it. One director was ignoring the Governor and publicly saying everyone in group 4 can come (the current rule is only partially group 4).

I'm past the point of feeling guilty. There are huge efforts to reach the underserved in our state. There is only so much that can be done up to the point of people presenting their arms.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:19 AM   #2400
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Just got my 1st Moderna jab this morning.

Ohio opened up to 50+ last Thursday. I checked my county website that morning and was able to sign up for today's appointment. On the way out this morning I signed up for jab #2 in 14 days.
(emphasis added)

You may need to rebook the 2nd dose. The recommended time between Moderna COVID-19 vaccine doses is 28 days.https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-1...rna/index.html