Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's true in Contra Costa County, which is moving faster than the rest of the state. Los Angeles County is still only open to 50+. They will go to 16+ on April 15 when everyone else does.
Plus UC Davis, Berkeley, and SF according to Mayor Breed .... it'll go fast for you too especially since the Dodger Mass Vaccination site will stay open for 4 more weeks!! Hope we GO GREEN in June

For those still looking, try: https://vaccinefinder.org/search/

We've come a long way in a year & note the market: https://www.ktvu.com/video/664134

Last edited:
Got my second Moderna shot on March 30. Was not feeling that great before the shot and the second shot increased my fatigue, gave me a bit of nausea for two days, a sore arm and some swollen lymph nodes. I'm feeling a lot better this week than last week and wonder if I should have waited a few days to get over a bit of a flare I was having of a chronic illness. Ended up taking 1 1/2 days off of work to rest. Still glad to have it done despite a few rough days.

Received the J&J vaccine yesterday at 10 a.m. at CVS. I had been holding out for the J&J vaccine. I was first on the schedule and they were well organized and no wait at all. The shot itself was painless. Busy the rest of the day washing outside windows and some yard work, etc.. No sore arm or any issues. Woke up this morning with some little aches and pains but nothing more than the usual. Did some work on the computer early, then went to gym, then took the grand dog for a half hour walk. This afternoon I mowed and did yard work for three or four hours. No issues or sore arm yet. Hopefully I am good.

I got J&J yesterday at 12:30. By 6:30pm I was feeling bad enough that I went to bed, by 7:30 I was shivering and feverish. At 11:30pm when I was less awful, I took my temperature and was at 102.1. I spent the night tossing and turning and aching. Today started pretty miserable, mostly due to very poor sleep I think. but I got better over the course of the day. I'm very excited to be a couple weeks out from pretty good protection. I still want to get the Pfizer vaccine when it is available to be purchased in some number of months.

I would wait to see if there's a need for modified boosters to address the variants.

Some epidemiologists are saying we could still have some kind of surge next winter, even if we are able to drive down the cases and vaccinate a large majority of the population.

No clarity on how long immunity lasts either.

So we may go through this dance again in November.

Well in CA she's not suppose to get her shot yet unless she has some specific health conditions or work in certain jobs.

Not as egregious as say a month or two ago when you heard about some cases of jumping lines.

In a week it will all be moot.

The vaccination site at USC Bakersfield has been accepting walk-ins for the last week of all ages, and any county. I went on the weekend, and it wasn’t super busy at all, I was in and out within 30min including the observation time of 15min.

Felt very liberating, COVID anxiety/tension reduced a bit that day. Hopefully even more once I get the 2nd shot!

If you are within a few hours of Bakersfield, I recommend the drive.

I would wait to see if there's a need for modified boosters to address the variants.

Some epidemiologists are saying we could still have some kind of surge next winter, even if we are able to drive down the cases and vaccinate a large majority of the population.

No clarity on how long immunity lasts either.

So we may go through this dance again in November.
They really have no idea. Notice the giant qualifier “could”. There are so many factors including global conditions and travel and how many remain unvaccinated. And the timing is totally up in the air. It’s silly to assign any weather seasonality to Covid at this point IMO as weather is obviously not a factor worldwide.

The days of walk-ins

The vaccination site at USC Bakersfield has been accepting walk-ins for the last week of all ages, and any county. I went on the weekend, and it wasn’t super busy at all, I was in and out within 30min including the observation time ...
I didn't figure it would happen this fast, but I see that the accepting walk-ins is arriving now. My original plan was to wait for "the days of incentive", where the store bribes you with a gift card, but when the idea of getting out of the risk of suffering or worse, I went at the first available opportunity, which was across the state line, at a mass event. But I see that very soon, it's going to be "anyone that wants one"

I got J&J yesterday at 12:30. By 6:30pm I was feeling bad enough that I went to bed, by 7:30 I was shivering and feverish. At 11:30pm when I was less awful, I took my temperature and was at 102.1. I spent the night tossing and turning and aching. Today started pretty miserable, mostly due to very poor sleep I think. but I got better over the course of the day. I'm very excited to be a couple weeks out from pretty good protection. I still want to get the Pfizer vaccine when it is available to be purchased in some number of months.
Why did you get J&J when you wanted Pfizer? Why not just pick the one you wanted? https://vaccinefinder.org/search/

Why did you get J&J when you wanted Pfizer? Why not just pick the one you wanted? https://vaccinefinder.org/search/
Had it 2.5hrs ago. The pharmacist did it bc I was so nervous. He told me it hurt less if I relaxed but yeah ~~~ not happening. He suggested I take Tylenol if I get any reaction later tonight so I bought some. My arm hurt a little so I did baby weights to dissipate the injection. But no real issues so far.

My sister who mentioned 'rath of G-d' if you get it is getting it next week. My nephew told her if she went through with getting the vaccine G-d would send her to Hell when she died. I'm Jewish. We don't have Hell

Last edited:
I was scheduled to get my second shot today but I got a call from the county heath dept this morning saying they don't have enough vaccine and my appointment is cancelled... They said they will reschedule,,,, at some point....:LOL:

Last edited:
Oh no, what a disappointment.

now I'm scared! Mine is supposed to happen Friday afternoon. I hope they don't run out!

I was scheduled to get my second shot today but I got a call from the county heath dept this morning saying they don't have enough vaccine and my appointment is cancelled... They said they will reschedule,,,, at some point....:LOL:

That’s really poor planning on their part. They should have been monitoring their supply to be sure they had held enough for second doses. It should have been first doses getting cancelled if a shortage arose.

We had a huge shortage of vaccines in January and February, but after listening to a video of our Parish (=County) President speaking on the vaccination efforts yesterday, it seems to me that the situation here has reversed.

Now, with permission they are actually sending people into the private homes of those who cannot leave their home or bed due to age or infirmity. My understanding is that they actually even call around looking for these people, instead of waiting for them to call in. Then the technician comes to their home specifically armed with J&J vaccine because one visit is more convenient for these home vaccinations than two.

Also, they are sending experts who are fluent in Spanish or Vietnamese, into the neighborhoods trying to find and persuade those who only speak these languages to sign up for a vaccine too.

And meanwhile, one state over Car-Guy had his appointment cancelled. (sigh)

DSIL became eligible on monday. He's registered via the state
I have been on the computer every morning at 9 to snag an appointment at alternative mass vaccination sites and pharmacies, since I have both the time and determination to get him vaccinated!
Finally got one! April 18 for pfizer.
He is the last of the adults in our immediate family covid circle to get one. So happy:dance:
Now to wait for the approval for the little ones.....

They really have no idea. Notice the giant qualifier “could”. There are so many factors including global conditions and travel and how many remain unvaccinated. And the timing is totally up in the air. It’s silly to assign any weather seasonality to Covid at this point IMO as weather is obviously not a factor worldwide.

It definitely seems to survive better in cold weather. Heat and humidity make it difficult for droplets to stay suspended in the air as long.

We had the biggest number of cases over the winter.

That's not to say you can't get infected in the summer. We obviously saw high numbers of infections in the summer when people were driven inside to air-conditioned spaces in states like AZ, FL and TX last summer.

But again, the biggest numbers were in the winter.

It definitely seems to survive better in cold weather. Heat and humidity make it difficult for droplets to stay suspended in the air as long.

We had the biggest number of cases over the winter.

That's not to say you can't get infected in the summer. We obviously saw high numbers of infections in the summer when people were driven inside to air-conditioned spaces in states like AZ, FL and TX last summer.

But again, the biggest numbers were in the winter.
It may seem that way, but the Southern Hemisphere had large COVID 19 outbreaks in Nov Dec too. I suspect it is more driven by holiday gatherings.

The hot humid southern part of the US had a very large summer outbreak.

A simple explanation for higher numbers in Nov Dec could simply be that COVID community spread was everywhere, instead of pockets around the country. More people infected, more reopenings, more people infect others.

Last edited:
Now, with permission they are actually sending people into the private homes of those who cannot leave their home or bed due to age or infirmity. My understanding is that they actually even call around looking for these people, instead of waiting for them to call in. Then the technician comes to their home specifically armed with J&J vaccine because one visit is more convenient for these home vaccinations than two.

+1 What a great idea.

My understanding is that the Israelis have vaccination vans that will go to an older or infirm patients home to vaccinate them. They ask the person to invite unvaccinated friends to 'join the party' at the same time. Apparently, it works well since it gets these hidden people vaccinated. One person initiates the van, four to six people end up vaccinated.

I still think the vaccine scoffers will be in a small (less than 10%) minority by the end of the year at the latest. Probably sooner. Call me over optimistic if you wish.

Got 2nd shot just now. Pfizer. Now we are both fully vaxxed.

Well, that is until dose 3.

;)

That’s really poor planning on their part. They should have been monitoring their supply to be sure they had held enough for second doses. It should have been first doses getting cancelled if a shortage arose.
I'm not sure if I should blame the county health dept (that's where I got the first shot) the Army medics (that's who gave me the first shot and my vac card to return today and they took all my info) or Washington...

No sense in worrying about it. I'll get it when I can.

Last edited:
+1 What a great idea.

My understanding is that the Israelis have vaccination vans that will go to an older or infirm patients home to vaccinate them. They ask the person to invite unvaccinated friends to 'join the party' at the same time. Apparently, it works well since it gets these hidden people vaccinated. One person initiates the van, four to six people end up vaccinated.

I still think the vaccine scoffers will be in a small (less than 10%) minority by the end of the year at the latest. Probably sooner. Call me over optimistic if you wish.

We have 35 vaccination vans doing similar things here in CT. They'll go to homes, church services, etc. to vaccinate anyone who wants to show up. They are also working toward an ice cream truck approach, where the van drives up and down the streets of the neighborhood and you hail it to get your vaccination. As of Monday, 45% of all people 16+ in CT had received at least their first vaccination shot. (67% of all people over 45)

Last edited:
We have 35 vaccination vans doing similar things here in CT. They'll go to homes, church services, etc. to vaccinate anyone who wants to show up. They are also working toward an ice cream truck approach, where the van drives up and down the streets of the neighborhood and you hail it to get your vaccination. As of yesterday, 45% of all people 16+ in CT have received at least their first vaccination shot. (67% of all people over 45)

I like the idea of a "ice cream/ vaccination van" . Anybody who gets a shot gets a cone of ice cream. Maybe they can play a tune, like "Hit Me with Your Best Shot" and people will flock to the van. :rolleyes: Obviously I am going crazy here.

Update, I got an automated phone call/message on my land line this morning about 9am cancelling today's appointment... Then at 4:45 this afternoon I got a text on my cell phone that my new appointment is now set for the 13th from 12 to 3pm. I guess they've got my "number(s)" :)

Not too bad, only one week late... Well that is if that one doesn't get cancelled/rescheduled too.

My sister who mentioned 'rath of G-d' if you get it is getting it next week. My nephew told her if she went through with getting the vaccine G-d would send her to Hell when she died. I'm Jewish. We don't have Hell

AND you don't have dead trees and pine needles all over the floor in December! A close Jewish friend of mine sent a "Christmas Card" to that effect one year. What a hoot! I kept that card someplace and hope to run across it some day. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom