Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the health people interviewed the people that had these reactions they found that these were mostly people with needle phobias who in the past had this reaction to any sort of shot. They paper interviewed one lady who had been hospitalized after the J&J shot and she said always fainted when getting any shot. People who have this issue are getting the J&J because it is only one shot so that is why there is more of this type of reaction to this particular vaccine. The health folks in Raleigh are now going to ask people if they have this phobia and if so those people are going to be allowed to lay down for the shot and are going to be given orange juice and a snack.
OK, making progress!

Regarding the one-shot: I kind of wish I had it.

I'm now 28 days past my Moderna #1 and have no appt. for #2. The pharmacy has told us: "Don't call us, we'll call you... and please don't go somewhere else, we know about you."

This makes life planning difficult. I'd like to reserve 2 days with no activities due to known possible reactions.

So I'm a bit irritated. If we get no indication by Tuesday, I won't call them, I'll walk over to their office. Can I at least get a plan or rough idea of the day? They are small and don't do this kind of work weekends, so I get it. But man, at least some idea? Our friend who volunteers there says it is because they only find out about their weekly allocation at the last minute. Whatever... It is nerve wracking.

You do have some time, but are going want Moderna for dose number 2. I'd start poking around and see if you can find someone else..

I was sort of agnostic about which brand I got jabbed with, but in my extended family every adult expressed a preference to get the J&J. They all expressed a preference for the one & done aspect. A couple of my siblings and in-laws were a little put off by having to accept Pfizer because that was all they could find. It will be interesting to see what preference will predominate when there are adequate supplies to allow choice.

Something is going on here. It's 6:55 AM Saturday and I logged into my UCLA health account and looked up COVID-19 vaccine appointments. They are operating five mega pod sites (two are open on Saturday) and I can get an appointment as early as 8:10 AM on Saturday and any weekday thereafter at all five sites. I see the same thing on the Cedars Sinai and the Kaiser Permanente sites with plenty of same day appointments available. There are far more hospitals operating meg pods in the county plus we have three drive through mega sites. We may be at the point where supply and vaccination capacity exceeds demand at least in Los Angeles County.

Attachments

• covid-sched.jpg
    covid-sched.jpg
    492.2 KB · Views: 36
I have anxiety about getting shots. I don’t want to see the needle. It’s not the pain that bothers me. I just don’t want to visually see the needle going in to my arm so I’ve learned to look away.

But with COVID vaccines being covered by the news media 24 hours a day, I have to watch video coverage of needles going in to arms hundreds of times a day. I still have to cover my eyes or look away from the TV. It drives me nuts. Why do they have to keep showing video coverage of needles going in to people’s arms on TV day and night?

It's a really, really thin needle. I saw the needle go in my arm, but I didn't feel it at all, either time. If you've ever given blood, that needle is about three times the diameter of the one they use for COVID vaccination (16-17 ga. versus 22-25 ga.)

Last edited:
I have anxiety about getting shots. I don’t want to see the needle. It’s not the pain that bothers me. I just don’t want to visually see the needle going in to my arm so I’ve learned to look away.

But with COVID vaccines being covered by the news media 24 hours a day, I have to watch video coverage of needles going in to arms hundreds of times a day. I still have to cover my eyes or look away from the TV. It drives me nuts. Why do they have to keep showing video coverage of needles going in to people’s arms on TV day and night?

You won't even feel the needle go in.

J&J this morning for my youngest kid, back from university for a doctor's appointment.

My last Pfizer shot is next weekend.

I never look at the needle either--I just turned my head. When I had my Covid shots I honestly I never felt anything. As far as seeing shots being given on TV I am not noticing that either. I don't much news and regular TV anymore. I watched the Masters golf yesterday and saw no needles!

I never look at the needle either--I just turned my head. When I had my Covid shots I honestly I never felt anything. As far as seeing shots being given on TV I am not noticing that either. I don't much news and regular TV anymore. I watched the Masters golf yesterday and saw no needles!

Some needling by the commentators:LOL: should be a great Masters weekend. and I agree about seeing injections on TV, I've never seen a closeup of the needle going in..

Quit watching TV?

I don’t watch TV news and am not subjected to those visuals.

Second Pfizer shot was yesterday. Site of injection is a little sore and itchy. Rest of me seems about like usual.

Husband noticed nothing whatever with his shots (also Pfizer)

Four shots between the two of us; no pain. My first, I went away wondering if I'd even gotten a shot (although it felt itchy later on so I knew it was there). Second one, I felt a little pressure from the fluid going in, but no pain whatever.

My sister, who is ultra-sensitive to pain and had been dreading it, had no issues with either shot.

You won't even feel the needle go in.

What the...who's giving these shots? The Mafia? :rolleyes: I'm sorry they used this language with a patient. Probably meant nothing.

If you are worried, and have somewhere else to go for your second shot, go there.

With the Pfizer shot, the county health dept said we could go anywhere we wanted for the second shot, as long as it was within (I think) 8 weeks. Because local pharmacy appts have been hard to get, we just waited for the county's second-shot notification.

I'm now 28 days past my Moderna #1 and have no appt. for #2. The pharmacy has told us: "Don't call us, we'll call you... and please don't go somewhere else, we know about you."

Something is going on here. It's 6:55 AM Saturday and I logged into my UCLA health account and looked up COVID-19 vaccine appointments. They are operating five mega pod sites (two are open on Saturday) and I can get an appointment as early as 8:10 AM on Saturday and any weekday thereafter at all five sites. I see the same thing on the Cedars Sinai and the Kaiser Permanente sites with plenty of same day appointments available. There are far more hospitals operating meg pods in the county plus we have three drive through mega sites. We may be at the point where supply and vaccination capacity exceeds demand at least in Los Angeles County.

Dr. Gottlieb and a few others predicted that by the April/May time frame getting a shot would be much easier. Let's hope we are seeing the first proof that they are right.

What the...who's giving these shots? The Mafia? :rolleyes: I'm sorry they used this language with a patient. Probably meant nothing.

If you are worried, and have somewhere else to go for your second shot, go there.

With the Pfizer shot, the county health dept said we could go anywhere we wanted for the second shot, as long as it was within (I think) 8 weeks. Because local pharmacy appts have been hard to get, we just waited for the county's second-shot notification.
I paraphrased. It was more like: "You are in our system and we'll call you when you are due and we have a distribution clinic. Please don't make an appointment elsewhere."

I think the plea to not make an appointment elsewhere is to help the system so people don't bungle it up by double booking second shots. I don't think it is mafia behavior, but hey, could be!

I'll give ya'll an update on this later. Right now, I'm on my way to give platelets. I like watching the huge needle go in and the tube fill. I'm weird.

Second Pfizer shot was yesterday. Site of injection is a little sore and itchy. Rest of me seems about like usual.

Four shots between the two of us; no pain. My first, I went away wondering if I'd even gotten a shot (although it felt itchy later on so I knew it was there). Second one, I felt a little pressure from the fluid going in, but no pain whatever.
That's my experience, almost to a T. No itchiness is the only diff.

DH felt nothing at all, my first was a good pinch as seems typical for my vaccinations.

Dr. Gottlieb and a few others predicted that by the April/May time frame getting a shot would be much easier. Let's hope we are seeing the first proof that they are right.

Scott Gottlieb is one of the more straight forward medical talking heads on TV. He has more credibility than most.

The Raleigh paper had an article about the J&J side effects this week that caused them to shut down the J&J vaccines for a few days (they are going to start giving J&J again next week). What happened was that 18 people who had the J&J fainted and/or vomited and 2 had to be hospitalized. When the health people interviewed the people that had these reactions they found that these were mostly people with needle phobias who in the past had this reaction to any sort of shot. They paper interviewed one lady who had been hospitalized after the J&J shot and she said always fainted when getting any shot. People who have this issue are getting the J&J because it is only one shot so that is why there is more of this type of reaction to this particular vaccine. The health folks in Raleigh are now going to ask people if they have this phobia and if so those people are going to be allowed to lay down for the shot and are going to be given orange juice and a snack.
Exactly!! Says someone with a phobia. My mind takes over exaggerating any physical response

Last edited:
Got a message to confirm my appointment for my third shot yesterday...

See, the first time, the person filling out the form wrote "April 6" for my second shot. But they wrote the "i" right over a line on the form, and it looked like "Apr. l6."

I got a call for my appointment on the 6th, and got my shot, then got the call again for the 16th. At least they're doing a good job of making sure no-one falls through the cracks.

Think I'll be even better protected if I get three shots? (Just kidding!)

Scott Gottlieb is one of the more straight forward medical talking heads on TV. He has more credibility than most.

I agree.

A few months ago I made a note of several predictions made about Spring and Summer Covid issues in the USA. (Yes, I have too much time on my hands.) So far he is a leader. A few others are already changing their predictions to fit what has occurred or not occured. Little do they know that I wrote down what they said. :trash:

Let's hope he is correct when he said that we will have an immunity backstop made of previous infections and the vaccine which will keep another wave in check.
:popcorn:

Last edited:
Dr. Gottlieb lives in Connecticut and has appeared several times on the governor's press conferences to talk about COVID. I have found him to be very clear and willing to actually make a prediction without a host of qualifications that water it down. Given that he is the former head of the FDA and a member of the Pfizer board of directors, I'm inclined to trust what he says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom