Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Cutting costs. Cutting subscriptions.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:54 PM   #1
gone traveling

Cutting costs. Cutting subscriptions.

Today we chopped Hulu, ($59) Spotify, ($15) some cell phone add ons ($40) , storage unit.
($79) Saved $193 per month with a few hours of work.

We are concerned about our tenants ability to continue paying rent. Otherwise we’re good.

What did you chop?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2020, 03:58 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Cancelled my United credit card, as I'm not traveling for many months, and don't want to pay the yearly fee.
Saved $95
Old 03-30-2020, 04:05 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Moved our 3 lines on Cricket to the new, cheapest plan (only 2GB LTE data per line)

Everybody's back home so they can use the WiFi instead of cellular data.

From $110 down to $45 monthly.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:19 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I gave some thought to canceling YouTube TV since there are no live sports, but I also like the idea of having more options to watch since I'm home.

I'll have to look at that Cricket deal, but I barely get reception with AT&T at my house. I'm worried that any service less than full AT&T will leave me with no reception here. I'm not clear on what you give up with Cricket vs. AT&T.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:30 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Since we can't go anywhere the spending is automatically down. Way down.
Smaller gas bill, restaurant bill, bar bill, travel bill, etc.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:44 PM   #6

Didn't chop anything. Our travel and leisure expenses are down significantly. We have been stepping up spending on home improvement projects. Recessions are great times to buy big ticket items. We plan to re-furnish our primary home soon. The last time we spent money on major improvements was back in 2009/2010. This time it won't be any different.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:46 PM   #7

Negotiated a $60 per month credit on my DirecTV bill. No change in the service.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:50 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachOrCity View Post
Since we can't go anywhere the spending is automatically down. Way down.
Smaller gas bill, restaurant bill, bar bill, travel bill, etc.
Same. If you're following the guidelines for staying home you should save some money. I'm not cutting cable or streaming packages as that gives me some entertainment during these more closed in times.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:56 PM   #9

We were already pretty lean on expenses for services.
I've cut back on consumables by
only eating 1.5 meals a day,
using smaller "dabs" of toothpaste on the brush and shampoo (i'm basically bald anyway).
I think I'm setting a record for number of days out of a roll of TP now.
Another is using tissues when we clean the dog's eyes 2x a day. I found I can cut a tissue in half and still have plenty to get the job done so a box will now last 2x as long.

Other that slowing consumption to make things last longer, spending is WAY up as prices are taking off.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:00 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Hulu, Netflix, and Spotify are fully-funded and in use.
Damn the Torpedoes, Full Speed Ahead!
Old 03-30-2020, 05:07 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
If you're following the guidelines for staying home you should save some money. I'm not cutting cable or streaming packages as that gives me some entertainment during these more closed in times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Hulu, Netflix, and Spotify are fully-funded and in use.
Damn the Torpedoes, Full Speed Ahead!
+1

Our spending is down significantly so I have no interest in trying to save a few bucks by reducing our access to mind-numbing forms of entertainment!

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 03-30-2020, 05:10 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Cancelled Big Ten Network $9.95 per mo. -one month earlier than usual. I only subscribe during BB season.

I got sucked into Apple TV subscription (4.99/mo) due to the series Servant and The Morning Show. Waiting for season 2 of those series and there are some other interesting series, BUT it dawned on me I could subscribe for 2 months and binge watch everything that interests me and then unsubscribe.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:16 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not cutting back right now, although I did discontinue my subscription to Consumer Reports (online) about a month ago.

We used to eat lunch at restaurants every day, but of course we can't do that any more. We are still getting delivery or take-out about 2-3 times/week, but yesterday we discussed cutting back on that too.

I am barely driving so I expect my gasoline bill will be almost nothing this month. I don't have Cable TV or subscribe to streaming services other than Amazon Prime. My cell phone is already on the Cricket cheap plan, plus I dropped my landline.

I am thinking that with a paid off house and car, no dependents, and fairly minimal monthly bills, I am probably pretty far from having to cut back due to recent events. We'll see.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:51 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
using smaller "dabs" of toothpaste on the brush and shampoo (i'm basically bald anyway).
Another is using tissues when we clean the dog's eyes 2x a day. I found I can cut a tissue in half and still have plenty to get the job done so a box will now last 2x as long.

Other that slowing consumption to make things last longer, spending is WAY up as prices are taking off.
Bolded by me - sounds like another dryer sheet conversation could be coming.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:17 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Well only eating 1.5 meals a day will cut back on TP use...mind if I ask why you are going this extreme. What is half a meal?
Old 03-30-2020, 06:27 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
+1, I have been eating less, too. I have lost 5 pounds in the past 10 days. I don't feel like eating so much, with all the dire news we have been hearing. It's upsetting, so I quit listening to it and then get all enthralled with my video game and still don't eat. On most days I have been forgetting to eat dinner.

I'm way, way overweight so anything I can lose is great.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:04 PM   #17

haven't cut anything and don't plan to unless SS and our pensions evaporate. and if that happens we'll all have much larger problems.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
Old 03-30-2020, 09:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Well only eating 1.5 meals a day will cut back on TP use...mind if I ask why you are going this extreme. What is half a meal?
A 1/2 meal is eating half a portion/regular amount for lunch and keeping the other half for lunch the next day. I tried doing the 1/2 meal for supper but that doesn't work as being hungry interferes with sleep. Hunger during the day can be staved off by drinking more water.

extreme: the food aisles at all three local stores here are picked clean. bread (and flour etc for baking your own bread), cooking oils/fats, canned goods, potatoes, rice, milk, cereal, eggs... any basic staple is gone. If there are onions or fresh produce available its half-moldy already. Been that way for the last 2 weeks.

You can tell if a store has TP in stock based on whether or not there are a couple of cop cars in the parking lot... no cops=no TP. My wife is terrified of shopping as people are getting stuff stolen out of their carts in the store and in the parking lot on the way to the cart. Stores only allow 1 shopper per cart in the store.
Home delivery is next to worthless... if an item is out of stock I can't add it to the cart. If it's in stock when the order is placed it won't be in stock when the order is picked on delivery day.

Tomorrow we're going to start restaurant take-out 2x per week (expensive) to make what we have in-hand last longer. I expect the restaurants to start shutting down soon as they originally were told "2 weeks, end of March" and now they're being told end of April. One nearby restaurant started posting on FB that they are selling off their liquor stocks by the bottle on a first-come/first served basis and everybody's take-out hours have shrunk down to 3-7PM... they can't run the freezers on that. I would be surprised if they are re-stocking.

So yeah... its starting to look like the prelude portion of the post-apocalyptic movies.

I saw trouble coming (but not this bad) about a month ago and stocked up some on March 3rd... but that was a month ago. If I'm half-right on where I think this is going (economically+grocery supplies, getting the virus is a distant third at this point) its going to be down right ugly in the next month or two.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:19 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A 1/2 meal is eating half a portion/regular amount for lunch and keeping the other half for lunch the next day. I tried doing the 1/2 meal for supper but that doesn't work as being hungry interferes with sleep. Hunger during the day can be staved off by drinking more water.

extreme: the food aisles at all three local stores here are picked clean. bread (and flour etc for baking your own bread), cooking oils/fats, canned goods, potatoes, rice, milk, cereal, eggs... any basic staple is gone. If there are onions or fresh produce available its half-moldy already. Been that way for the last 2 weeks.

You can tell if a store has TP in stock based on whether or not there are a couple of cop cars in the parking lot... no cops=no TP. My wife is terrified of shopping as people are getting stuff stolen out of their carts in the store and in the parking lot on the way to the cart. Stores only allow 1 shopper per cart in the store.
Home delivery is next to worthless... if an item is out of stock I can't add it to the cart. If it's in stock when the order is placed it won't be in stock when the order is picked on delivery day.

Tomorrow we're going to start restaurant take-out 2x per week (expensive) to make what we have in-hand last longer. I expect the restaurants to start shutting down soon as they originally were told "2 weeks, end of March" and now they're being told end of April. One nearby restaurant started posting on FB that they are selling off their liquor stocks by the bottle on a first-come/first served basis and everybody's take-out hours have shrunk down to 3-7PM... they can't run the freezers on that. I would be surprised if they are re-stocking.

So yeah... its starting to look like the prelude portion of the post-apocalyptic movies.

I saw trouble coming (but not this bad) about a month ago and stocked up some on March 3rd... but that was a month ago. If I'm half-right on where I think this is going (economically+grocery supplies, getting the virus is a distant third at this point) its going to be down right ugly in the next month or two.
What area do you live in?.can you do Amazon for any food staples? I noticed their stock of items is improving
Old 03-30-2020, 09:46 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

We re not driving much so our gasoline bill will be low

We don't have Cable TV and only use Amazon Prime.

Still buying take out to support local restaurants

Less rental income bec. so we gave tenants a break on April rent. Husband not working.
We re going to be fine

My DH can start SS anytime but we are hoping to postpone until Nov.

We'll see ...........
Closed Thread