Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 04:11 PM   #21

Depends how overdue. If you've skipped a few months, maybe not. If you're past a year, maybe yes.

Of course, it's all a gamble on if things will be worse vs. better in another few months. I'm in FL, so I'd put my money on worse. I'm a couple months overdue but should look into going soon I guess...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2020, 04:14 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What timing. I just came back from a dental cleaning today. Been 6 months since the last time. The dental office did take several precautions to make the environment safer from covid-19.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:30 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are flossing better and cleaning 3 times a day. We postponed our dental cleaning till December.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:43 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Dental cleaning appt in July - WWYD?

I also have a cleaning / checkup scheduled for mid July. I want to reschedule for later in the year. I have broken off part of a back tooth since my last visit, but it isnít bothering me. Still - I would prefer to reschedule to at least a few months later.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:50 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I broke a tooth in March so went to dentist under emergency care during shutdown, only one in office.

Since then I have been to the dentist 3 times in June due to getting a crown and having it adjusted. The precautions they take are comforting.

1. Call before go in, no one else in the waiting room etc. Mask required to go in.
2. Temp check upon entering
3. N95 and face shields, gloves, gowns, on all dentist workers, except receptionist which is behind a plexiglass divider with a slit to put your credit card into the card slot to pay, no touching by receptionist
4. Ventilation tubes that are placed in front of dental chair that are supposed to filter the air
and H2O2 wash prior to beginning procedure
5. When done someone comes to walk you out or to pay to insure no other patients in hallway.
6. extra $10 pay for "covid precautions"
Old 06-29-2020, 06:07 PM   #26

I've been to the dentist and also to my primary care physician, the lab for bloodwork, the gynecologist and the nephrologist. I'm finding that people in the medical field are taking this VERY SERIOUSLY. They are letting patients know in advance what precautions they are taking and what to expect when you get there. One office called to confirm the appointment and asked that I take my temperature at home before I come in. They also took my temp when I got there.

One precaution that I do on my own is that I take my own pen with me to the appointment. I don't want to have to use one of the office pens to sign anything. Also, before they put the pulse oxygen gizmo on my fingertip I ask if that's been cleaned. Then they clean it! I can't be the only one to ask about that one.

Out of all the people I've interacted with, and it's been very few, the medical folks seem to be handling this better than others.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:21 PM   #27

I floss at least twice a day and use an electric toothbrush. I have crowns on all of my molars and haven't had to have a filling since having that done. I am not in any hurry to go in for a cleaning. My teeth feel fine and I want to avoid in door areas as much as possible. I do have an annual physical with a new doctor, I've been trying for years to become her patient so I will go to that appointment.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:23 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
.....I'm finding that people in the medical field are taking this VERY SERIOUSLY...

Very much so. I had a couple of dr visits recently. Took my temp when I walked in the door. Lots of COVID exposure questions. Then they gave me a mask and told me to wear it over my mask that I wore into the place. I was double masked for my entire visit.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:34 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had to have something done that couldn't wait. Few patientsm mandatory Listerine mouth rinse then hand wash. I was in a side room (aerosol room) and they haf installed an extra air scrubber thingy. Shields/masks etc. It was ok but I'd rather have not gone
Old 06-29-2020, 06:45 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I had an appointment three weeks ago just before our daily infection rate jumped. And I made sure to show up.

I went to that dental appointment and to get a haircut on the theory that a low infection rate would be safer than a higher infection rate. And since certain 1st Amendment activities were just starting up, and the county was just opening up, I figured that the infection rate would be going up over the next month and thus make dental visits and haircuts riskier.

Every once in a while, I get it right.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:19 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I have an overdue cleaning/checkup scheduled with my dentist for mid-July. Clearly an optional procedure, but one I don't want to put off forever. Given that my teeth are in good shape (no bleeding, no pain, no gum tenderness or redness, etc.), I'm starting to wonder if I should postpone the appointment.

My dentist is located in metro Atlanta, and here in Georgia we've been experiencing a large uptick in daily cases over the past week. I expect this will continue and probably even accelerate beyond the July 4th weekend. Is an optional teeth cleaning at this time worth even the fairly small absolute risk of contracting the virus? Clearly, I'll need to have another cleaning/checkup before a vaccine is developed, but wouldn't it be better to reschedule it for a time when new cases are not spiking in my area? What would you do?
had my 6-mos cleaning last week, wife had hers today. dentists are medical professionals. we trust them. you can, too.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
Old 06-29-2020, 07:27 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I plan to continue my regular dental cleanings just as soon as they are available.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:15 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We did. Our annual checkup is not until December. So we decided to wait.
I should amend this to say that if we had been home, we would have done our May cleanings. Apparently the dentist had just opened back up mid-May. But things are to hectic now to deal with it and our planned visit home too brief.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:14 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I recently cancelled a mid-July cleaning. My last one was in early March and that was about the last time I've been in public. I figure I can wait a while longer, up to a year maybe as long I don't have any emergency problems.

I know the dentist has taken a lot of precautions but I think it is a pretty high risk activity so even with all of the precautions it is still higher than my risk tolerance. I recognize my risk tolerance for covid is lower than most people's though.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:07 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I had an appointment for a cleaning scheduled for July 13, but I use any excuse I can to avoid going to the dentist, so I cancelled it for now.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:27 AM   #36

Ask about their precautions. Go if ok.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:47 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
What would you do?

Unless I was in some high risk group with a compromised immune system, I would go to the dentist.

I went to the dentist last week. They took similiar precautions that you see in most health care facilities nowadays.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:47 AM   #38

You have to weigh the pros and cons for you and the area where you live. It will be different for everyone.
My dentist cancelled my teeth cleaning appt a few months ago as he closed his practice except for emergencies. He is now open and taking precautions that are pretty much like what capjak posted. He sent a mail out to all his patients explaining his procedures but even so I think I will wait a while longer since the cases have skyrocketed here. I haven't been for a haircut either even though I needed one in Feb. What hair there is left is getting very close to my shoulders. It hasn't been that long since I was 20 playing in a band.

Cheers!
Old 06-30-2020, 05:50 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I had a cleaning scheduled for May but canceled. Going to wait until things calm down a bit. Unless I have a problem I don't anticipate seeing a dentist this year.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:08 AM   #40

We went for ours in May, as soon as our dentist was able to start business again. Everything was great.