Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 06:45 PM   #301
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think the US Navy has only two hospital ships. They moved the Mercy from her home port in San Diego to L.A. last week, and the Comfort went to NY.

If De Blasio wants more ships (and where is he planning to get the medical personnel to staff them?) then they would be cruise ships. Carnival has offered their fleet for non-Covid hospitals.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2020, 06:46 PM   #302
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
I think the US Navy has only two hospital ships. They moved the Mercy from her home port in San Diego to L.A. last week, and the Comfort went to NY.

If De Blasio wants more ships (and where is he planning to get the medical personnel to staff them?) then they would be cruise ships. Carnival has offered their fleet for non-Covid hospitals.
Heh, I bet people would be REALLY eager to cruise on those ships afterward.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 03-31-2020, 05:18 AM   #303
Administrator

Mod note - posts have been removed that were off topic and uncivil. Let’s please stick to the topic, which is the emergency in NY State, and remember to keep it friendly.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:55 AM   #304
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NameRedacted View Post

Of course, that won't happen. My prediction is that around April 14th, they'll suddenly announce the target is now May 14th/31st and this will keep happening until it's really under control.

Virginia just extended "stay at home" until June 10th! We've got a long way to go.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:17 AM   #305
Give me a forum ...

I remember about the lawyer in NYC who was the first diagnosed with the virus. I searched the Web to learn what happened to him. Found a piece of old news with the headline: "11 Cases of COVID-19 Confirmed in NY After Family, Friends of Lawyer Test Positive".

The date of that news: March 5. It's only March 31 today, not even a month, and NY state now has more than 67,000 cases. That's the absurdity of it all.

And that old news said that the wife of the lawyer said he was sick, but went to doctors and they could not find what made him sick. Obviously, they did not know about this virus, and perhaps tested him for the good old flu which would be negative. How sad that this lack of knowledge led to more than 50 people getting infected directly from the lawyer, and it spread from there.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-31-2020, 08:55 AM   #306
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
. How sad that this lack of knowledge led to more than 50 people getting infected directly from the lawyer, and it spread from there.
Yes. But there were likely more than him. It was circulating in NY for too long.

This is were monitor testing is essential, and where the FDA and CDC dropped the ball.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:59 AM   #307

Quote:
I remember about the lawyer in NYC who was the first diagnosed with the virus. I searched the Web to learn what happened to him. Found a piece of old news with the headline: "11 Cases of COVID-19 Confirmed in NY After Family, Friends of Lawyer Test Positive".

The date of that news: March 5. It's only March 31 today, not even a month, and NY state now has more than 67,000 cases. That's the absurdity of it all.

And that old news said that the wife of the lawyer said he was sick, but went to doctors and they could not find what made him sick. Obviously, they did not know about this virus, and perhaps tested him for the good old flu which would be negative. How sad that this lack of knowledge led to more than 50 people getting infected directly from the lawyer, and it spread from there.
I'm rereading World War Z. If you haven't read it, the book is based on stories from individuals telling about the progression of a virus. The stories are interesting, because it fills in gaps on how it was originally found, to how it spread globally and various societal reactions along the way. Of course it's all fiction, but I can see that in a couple of years, we might have similar content available for the coronavirus based on examples like this. That'll be interesting reading.

And thanks for the follow-up on these old cases.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:25 AM   #308
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
For the folks who still think that deaths from this virus will be far lower than the flu, the task force new estimate is 80,000 to 160,000 deaths according to Dr. Birx.
And that number is down from 1.7 million just 2 weeks ago. Maybe it will be lowered once again when they have more information.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:32 AM   #309

My concern is medical workers both in NYC and elsewhere. COVID hit home with us yesterday when a family member, an RN in NYC tested positive. She was not working with COVID patients but her hospital was not/could not supply masks. I had overnighted her an extra box of N95s a week ago. DH uses them when working in the yard and I ordered some extras when we had the CA fires in 2018 and I couldn't find any in the stores. BAsed on when her symptoms materialized she has infected how many others?
Old 03-31-2020, 10:22 AM   #310

Quote:

"Lawyer at Center of Earliest NY Coronavirus Cluster Goes Home From Hospital."

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...pital/2349575/
Old 03-31-2020, 10:28 AM   #311
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

On March 5 people of NY were told that there was nothing to fear and that it was okay to go about their daily lives.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:04 AM   #312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
And that number is down from 1.7 million just 2 weeks ago. Maybe it will be lowered once again when they have more information.
Where did you get the 1.7 Million number from 2 weeks ago? Do you have a source?
Old 03-31-2020, 11:16 AM   #313
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
Where did you get the 1.7 Million number from 2 weeks ago? Do you have a source?
"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention projected a worst-case scenario of 160 million to 210 million cases by December. Under that forecast, 21 million people would need hospitalization and 200,000 to 1.7 million could die by the end of the year."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...es/2935804001/
Old 03-31-2020, 11:54 AM   #314
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Yes. But there were likely more than him. It was circulating in NY for too long.

This is were monitor testing is essential, and where the FDA and CDC dropped the ball.
There's no way we can have absolutely zero cases with so much international traveling these days. But the sooner they know about a local case, the sooner they alert the public and put the patients in isolation.

Oh well, even now, some New Yorkers still do not care. They crowded the pier to gawk at the Navy hospital ship yesterday. It's impossible to save people if they don't give a darn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
I remember reading about that lawyer in NY, and talked about it with family on Sat 3/7 when we were having a big BD party for my grand niece. I was thinking about not going to that party, but at that point there were only 5 confirmed cases in Arizona, and as a fluke only one case in the metropolitan Phoenix area. None of us had traveled previously. Yes, I was keeping up-to-date on all the development.

We had 1157 cases yesterday. The day before was only 773. Of course it may be due to more testing. Arizona will be in "stay-at-home" status later today.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-31-2020, 11:59 AM   #315
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post

There's no way we can have absolutely zero cases with so much international traveling these days. But the sooner they know about a local case, the sooner they alert the public.

Oh well, even now, some New Yorkers still do not care. They crowded the pier to gawk at the Navy hospital ship yesterday. It's impossible to save people if they don't give a darn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
I remember reading about that lawyer in NY, and talked about it with family on Sat 3/7 when we were having a big BD party for my grand niece. I was thinking about not going to that party, but at that point there were only 5 confirmed cases in Arizona, and as a fluke only one case in the metropolitan Phoenix area. Yes, I was keeping up-to-date on all the development.

We had 1157 cases yesterday. The day before was only 773. Of course it may be due to more testing.

That family BD party was not even 4 weeks ago. So much has changed so rapidly.

Old 03-31-2020, 12:01 PM   #316
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There's no way we can have absolutely zero cases with so much international traveling these days. But the sooner they know about a local case, the sooner they alert the public.

I remember reading about that lawyer in NY, and talked about it with family on Sat 3/7 when we were having a big BD party for my grand niece. I was thinking about not going to that party, but at that point there were only 5 confirmed cases in Arizona, and as a fluke only one case in the metropolitan Phoenix area. Yes, I was keeping up-to-date on all the development.

We had 1157 cases yesterday. The day before was only 773. Of course it may be due to more testing.

That family BD party was not even 4 weeks ago. So much has changed so rapidly.
You should be able to see all the numbers for your state on the pertinent state web site..in our state the number of confirmed positive tests is still running at 4 to 5%.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:24 PM   #317
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention projected a worst-case scenario of 160 million to 210 million cases by December. Under that forecast, 21 million people would need hospitalization and 200,000 to 1.7 million could die by the end of the year."

Which is probably what would happen without social distancing.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:44 PM   #318
Recycles dryer sheets

I just finished listening to the latest conference call from Governor Cuomo. Here are the main points I remember.

New York State has ordered 17,000 ventilators from China at $25,000 each. He only expects about 2,500 of that order to be fulfilled. The problem at the moment is that all the States are bidding against each other for the same ventilators and on top of that FEMA has now stepped in and is outbidding everyone.

Originally New York State had 53,000 hospital beds but the hospitals have been able to increase capacity and now have 75,000. I don't think that includes the hospital ship and the field hospitals that have been set up. Although I'm not clear on that. The high estimate is that they need 140,000 beds.

New York is using 5 different models to predict what resources they need. That all come up with different numbers:

High estimate of 140,000 beds.
20,000-40,000 additional ventilators.
Apex of the curve will hit between 7-21 days from now.

They are looking at converting anaesthetisors (sp? - why are so many medical terms so difficult to spell?) over to ventilators
They are looking at splitting ventilators to service two patients at the same time.

A few days ago they put out a call for additional medical staff and they have had an additional 78,000 medical staff volunteer from across the country. They are currently checking licenses and will start deploying the ones closest to NY City soon. They are also asking for upstate staff to temporarily relocate downstate to help.

They are starting to relocate patients from the most overwhelmed hospitals in NYC to those in the City that have spare capacity. They also have plans to relocate some patients upstate but they are only plans at the moment and will only do so if necessary.

The unemployment system is overwhelmed. For example, they normally receive 50,000 calls a week but yesterday received 1,200,000 calls. The web-site is overwhelmed.

There is a halt on all evictions, commercial or residential, for 90 days for non-payment of rent.

Finally, his brother Chris has tested positive for Covid-19.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:24 PM   #319
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
You should be able to see all the numbers for your state on the pertinent state web site..in our state the number of confirmed positive tests is still running at 4 to 5%.
Thanks. Did not think of checking the Web site of our State Dep. of Health.

Positive results: 6%. Number tested: 19,371 or 0.27% of AZ population of 7.2 million.

People talk about "massive testing" in South Korea, but a South Korean doctor/professor of infectious disease said they tested 338,000 as of 3/24. That's 0.66% out of the population of 51.47 million. That's hardly massive.

And South Koreans without symptoms can get tested if they pay US$140. If the result is positive, the Korean government will reimburse the cost.

Old 03-31-2020, 01:52 PM   #320

Quote:

Well, worst case was that we did nothing. That didn't happen;we did something.

Time will tell if we are took the proper action. Sweden will be the case study. Schools, bars, restaurants are still open to those who can find a seat, to prevent overcrowding. No groups of over 50, stay home if you're sick. Corona or Krona will eventually win.
Closed Thread