Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 06:29 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes, cleaning service still coming in, because, priorities.

We do leave the house after she arrives, and return about an hour after she departs. I'm very comfortable with that.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2020, 06:42 AM   #42

We have had the same cleaner for many years. Don’t need her and her husband anymore, but just don’t have the heart to say we are done until we are on the other side of the pandemic.

She is basically dusting a house we are never at anymore.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:57 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by npage View Post
Do you still have a maid coming in?
Yes...... and I give her a gentle nudge each morning to get out of bed and make me coffee before attending to her chores.

She has subcontracted out sweeping the floors to a legal immigrant named Roomba.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 11-10-2020, 07:03 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Never had a maid... Before even considering hiring a maid, I'd have to get over the trust (or lack of) issue. Then there is the privacy issue. Then there is the inconvenience issue. There there is the ........ Forget it, I'll never get past the trust issue.

The day may come (I hope not) that I'll change my mind and get/need full time maid services.... But that will be when I'm in an assisted living facility, or worse.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:30 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

OP already made decision, but since the thread has drifted to pros and cons of having a cleaning service in the first place: we first got a cleaning lady 30 years ago. Between DW and I, the couple of precious weekend hours vacuuming, changing sheets, cleaning the 2 bathrooms etc. was worth the $$ paying someone else.
Fast forward to recent years, and I still despise doing those things. We even pay the lady extra, now, to change our bed sheets. We had to clean ourselves in the first few months of lockdown and it was borderline torture for me. That $$ spent is again, to me, worth it. Another classic case of YMMV.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:21 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah, I made my decision but play it over and over again in my head. For now we will stop. I can also relate to the people who have had issues with theft and such but not our situation.

She was all word of mouth, cleaned for many people in our old Condo Building. She moved with us to current building and developed business here now. She has also been a nanny and practically rasied some children for others in our old building. I have watched her children grow up as occassionally they come too. She has been with people for so many years and we all know her. She is trustworthy, does a good job.

I do know from prior experience to her it can be hit and miss. Having someone like this is priceless to a large degree and why I also hate cutting her off.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:26 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Ours is here today, cleaning away as we speak.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:58 AM   #48
gone traveling

The maid is me myself and I. I enjoy keeping it nice and clean.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:32 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

We've kept our cleaning service the whole time. She wears a mask and gloves and we go to the den where she doesn't clean. Neither DH nor I can physically do the job.
Old 11-13-2020, 03:34 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Who cares? Live your life!
Old 11-13-2020, 04:37 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

We figure there is only two ways to get Covid 19. You can go out and pick it up. Or you can have it delivered.
Old 11-13-2020, 05:26 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Who cares? Live your life!
Or catch Covid from your housekeeper and possibly end your life.
Old 11-13-2020, 05:27 PM   #53

I have been thinking of STARTING a cleaning service. My reasons are that I hate to clean and I figure that the people who do this service really need the money.
Old 11-13-2020, 05:40 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

We've had the same cleaning lady for 20 years. We continued to pay her weekly not to come from March through mid-August. She used to clean when we were all at work/school. Now that everyone is working remotely, we vacate the house when she cleans. We go to the park. Not sure what we'll do when it's dark and cold outside. If our city resumes shelter-in-place, we will tell her not to come and continue to pay her until the shelter-in-place order is lifted. We feel privileged that we can afford to do this.
Old 11-13-2020, 08:22 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by npage View Post
Curious, we have had the same woman for years. She is like family every two weeks now.

She has been wearing a mask as have we and only cleans with the supplies in our house. That said, we are not her only customers and of course cannot control who and what she is doing away from us.

As higher risk people we are approaching windows closed season, thus far they have been wide open.

DW and me are both so torn right now what to do. My back issues making cleaning a chore and she is the one luxury I have always said I would sacrifice other expenses for.
yup...still having her in every two weeks. she doesn't require us to wear a mask and vice-versa. she uses her own cleaning supplies. we've always pretty much stayed out of her way while she's here and that, too, has not changed. as long as she is willing this will comtinue.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
Old 11-13-2020, 10:36 PM   #56

We’ve never had a maid service. We were discussing it and looking to find someone early this year, but before we made the decision to hire someone, Covid made it for us. Our new to us (two years ago) home is much larger than the one we left in CA, and our interest in doing things we no longer enjoy has diminished, so once Covid is over enough to consider a service again, we plan to. And, we are going to downsize, to just a tad smaller than the home we left behind, in about two years (wait listed for a new home to be built). All of that said, the cleaning we will request will be things like floors, baseboards, dusting, ceiling fans, bathrooms, etc. We’ll do our own laundry and dishes. But we’ll have a pro do the stove hood.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:34 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a cleaning lady come once every month or two, whenever things start to get out of hand. I wear a mask when I have to be close to her (like when I let her in). We stay on a different floor from her. I run an air purifier on the level we spend most of the day for hours before she comes and after she leaves. She cleans that level first and then we stay there until well after she leaves. I also run the fan on the furnace nonstop. She uses her own cleaning supplies. I always “clear the decks” before she cleans. That reduces the time she is in our house (and reduces the cost). Unlike a lot of you, I have always preferred to be here while she cleans, but she does seem trustworthy. She told me yesterday that she gets tested weekly for COVID, using pop-up testing sites provided free by the county. Not perfect, but it’s the best I can figure out, and it really lifts my spirits to have a clean house.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:20 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

This gave us pause...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard Crimson

In an April interview with The Harvard Gazette, University President Lawrence S. Bacow recounted his reaction upon finding out that he and his wife had tested positive for COVID-19 on March 24: “Well, we’d been very, very careful, and I was a little bit surprised, in truth, because Adele and I had not seen anyone except each other for close to ten days before we started experiencing symptoms. We were completely isolated in the house,” Bacow said.

But the Bacows had not, in fact, been isolated in their house. They had continued to invite two Harvard custodians to clean their home for four hours, twice a week, well into the first wave of the pandemic. Bacow resides in Elmwood, the traditional home of University presidents.

According to one of these custodians, Diana, who spoke under condition of anonymity, the last day they cleaned the Bacow residence was March 19, ten days after the University announced it was shutting down and three days before the Bacows began experiencing symptoms.
https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2020/11/7/free-fall/
Old 11-14-2020, 09:27 AM   #59
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

^ This is why we take a drive, eat lunch, spend some time in the RV and otherwise occupy ourselves with something outside the house when our housecleaner visits us every two weeks. I even expanded our wi-fi network to reach the RV so we could stream Netflix while the house gets cleaned.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:33 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

For those of you who still have housekeepers coming in your house how long do you stay out of the house after the housekeeper leave? Doesn't the virus droplets stay in the air for 3 hours or so?
Closed Thread