Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Documentary PBS 1918 Flu
Old 03-17-2020, 10:07 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Documentary PBS 1918 Flu

Stunning. Those who survived give accounts and history of this epidemic, and how it started here in the U.S.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexp...lms/influenza/

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2020, 10:23 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

It was good but I couldn’t get the children’s play song out of my head for days!
Old 03-17-2020, 10:50 AM   #3

A couple of years ago, the Smithsonian magazine had a great article, called "How the Horrific 1918 Flu Spread Across America":

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ear-180965222/
Old 03-19-2020, 12:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
A couple of years ago, the Smithsonian magazine had a great article, called "How the Horrific 1918 Flu Spread Across America":

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ear-180965222/
Wow, that was a great article, even though it was a long one. Thanks for the link, Birdie Num Nums.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:11 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

A couple of years ago I went to the Florence Nightengale museum in London. The special exhibit was about the 1918 Flu -- very well done, complete with hospital tents with the "story" of each cot's occupant, good electronic displays of the spreads, and so on.

In the last exhibit there was a wall display split into two halves -- notables who survived and notables who died, each with a one paragraph biography and a photo.

Cora Crawley was listed on the "notables who survived" side. When I first saw this I was amused, and later realised it was a brilliant way to make the 1918 epidemic "real" to people now, because so many of us "know" Cora.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:30 PM   #6
gone traveling

Is this how covid 19 is going to spread? One wave in the spring and then the whopper in the fall?
Old 03-22-2020, 10:18 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelek View Post
Is this how covid 19 is going to spread? One wave in the spring and then the whopper in the fall?
That is possible. The hope is that research and testing among cooperating global powers will produce something specific for treatment and prevention.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:12 AM   #8

Reality speaking, the only way to prepare for something like this:
-Have adequate PPE supplies for the world population as it increases.
-Scientists/biologists continually mapping genome possibilities for future viruses.

Since viruses are not living things and they only replicate on an organism, our job is to stop replication. When a new virus comes along, one we've never seen, be prepared for that next layer of research. After 100 years and new viruses emerging, I cannot figure out why PPE supplies are in shortage.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Closed Thread