Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 02:47 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If only picking one person, I'd pick Dr. Facui. He has his own bobblehead doll, so you know things are getting serious .

When Time magazine's pick comes around, I think the choice of persons of the year will be the many deserving frontline workers (doctors, nurses in the health field and those not in the health field but essential to making the country still operate). I'd even include a kumbya moment to include every person who sheltered in place to flatten the curve.

More of the bobblehead:

Quote:
COLUMBIA, S.C. (WOLO) – Dr. Anthony Fauci spends his days informing Americans about the coronavirus pandemic — and now he has become a household name.
The most famous face in public health is now a bobblehead.
On Wednesday, The National Bobblehead Hall of Fame and Museum unveiled a bobblehead to honor Dr. Anthony Fauci, “Who has become America’s voice of reason as one of the lead members of the White House Coronavirus Task Force.”
The National Bobblehead Hall of Fame and Museum will be donating $5 from every Dr. Fauci Bobblehead sold to the American Hospital Association in support of the 100 Million Mask Challenge.
The is the first bobblehead of Dr. Fauci, who has served as the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases since 1984. Standing on a base bearing his name, the bobblehead features Fauci wearing a suit and illustrating how the nation needs to “flatten the curve”.
https://www.abccolumbia.com/2020/04/...head-unveiled/
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2020, 02:57 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
He’s been the most reassuring face of this episode by far, I hate to think of what this would be like without his steady, open and frequent presence. Dr. Birx has been reassuring too, but she’s not getting as much exposure. Bless them both!

https://youtu.be/eTX3xoLdDlw
Amen
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:08 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
Personally, I'm grateful for Drs. Fauci and Birx's presence. They have served as a counterbalance to otherwise impulsive decision making.
Well said and so true. Hopefully no one jumps the gun and puts us back another two months.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:09 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

IMO, I think the verdict is still out on Facui but he's high on my list at this point. Again, IMO, the real hero's are the medical personnel on the front lines caring for infected patients. In a very real sense, they are putting their lives on the line just like a soldier on the battlefield.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:50 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I heard a new term today.... covidioit.

Quote:
Urban Dictionary defines the latest coronavirus-era slang term as "someone who ignores the warnings regarding public health or safety" during the pandemic, as reported by Ben Cost for the New York Post.

Other Urban Dictionary entries categorize a COVIDIOT as someone "who stubbornly ignores 'social distancing' protocol, thus helping to further spread COVID-19" and someone "who hoards groceries, needlessly spreading COVID-19 fears, and depriving others of vital supplies." Another definition describes it as someone who "likely hasn't clue one about the actual disease."
https://www.businessinsider.com/what...ic-meme-2020-3

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 04-09-2020, 04:30 PM   #26

My fear is that in the near future, Dr. Fauci and the experts will pretty much disappear from our televisions and we will be forced to only listen to elected officials provide their "version" of the essential scientific facts provided by the experts. I will not find this credible and hope to still be able to access on the CDC site. But who even knows if that will become restricted.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:47 PM   #27

What a coincidence. This just in:
"Pence bars top health experts Fauci and Birx from appearing on CNN, the network says"
Old 04-09-2020, 04:54 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
"Pence bars top health experts Fauci and Birx from appearing on CNN, the network says"
As long as they remain on the COVID-19 team, I have no problem with this.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:47 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, before we erect a statue for Dr. Fauci, he was a little behind the curve IMO. On 1/24, he stated in an interview..."It isn't something the American public needs to worry about, or be frightened about." He also stated, "It's a very, very low risk to the United States, but it's something that we as public health officials need to take very very seriously." OK, no one's perfect and hindsight is 20/20, but I think it's safe to say virtually the entire government apparatus around the globe was a little slow off the mark on this one. The WHO didn't declare it a pandemic until 3/11/2020.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:01 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sounds reasonable to me. Somehow I think they are already giving us their honest opinions VIA the task force briefings. Plenty of reporter Q&A's everyday.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:44 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
That said Fauci is a Dr and thus sees things from a medical point of view.
According to the Wikipedia bio on Fauci, he hasn’t practiced medicine in a clinical environment since 1968 (having to deal with patients.) His career forte appears to be experimental work in mostly lab environments, followed by administrative.

He uses “anecdotal” in a useless pedantic sense. In his sense of the word, pretty much all of surgical medicine would be “anecdotal”. Surgeons don’t go around operating on patients but sewing them right back up to form a “placebo” control group - and good luck figuring out how to perform double-blind studies with surgical procedures!
Old 04-09-2020, 09:07 PM   #32

Quote:
My fear is that in the near future, Dr. Fauci and the experts will pretty much disappear from our televisions and we will be forced to only listen to elected officials provide their "version" of the essential scientific facts provided by the experts. I will not find this credible and hope to still be able to access on the CDC site. But who even knows if that will become restricted.
I agree. Once the priority changes to opening the economy, I think we'll hear less and less from the medical experts. I've enjoyed watching Dr. Fauci.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:25 PM   #33

We can’t have politicians telling us which news channels we need to watch to receive critical public health information.
Dr. Anthony Fauci - US Person of the Year
Old 04-10-2020, 04:26 AM   #34

I listen to Dr. Fauci, my Minnesota governor and our renowned state epidemiologist, each of whom have done terrific jobs providing credible information from the beginning.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:34 AM   #35
gone traveling

It's hard to respond to the OP without having your answer considered being too political to this forum, so I'll try really hard.

1. Fauci won't say we are safe until everyone is vaccinated (if it were solely up to him)
2. Fauci has no concern for the economy or the number of deaths that will arise from people being unemployed and depressed.

I think that's all I can say.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:38 AM   #36
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
I listen to Dr. Fauci, my Minnesota governor and our renowned state epidemiologist, each of whom have done terrific jobs providing credible information from the beginning.
Walz has done a good job, but him leveraging Osterholm's projections is as dire of a situation you can expect. Osterholm's does best if he stays in the news the longest.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:52 AM   #37
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Hearing today that the use of ventilators may not be a good tactic in fighting COVID-19 should be another wake-up call.
Just read an article where Medicare pays $13k for someone hospitalized with COVID19, but $39k for someone put on ventilator...
Old 04-10-2020, 06:54 AM   #38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8693 View Post
Just read an article where Medicare pays $13k for someone hospitalized with COVID19, but $39k for someone put on ventilator...
It would be helpful to provide a source for that.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:59 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd564 View Post
Walz has done a good job, but him leveraging Osterholm's projections is as dire of a situation you can expect. Osterholm's does best if he stays in the news the longest.

You’re entitled to your opinion but, unless you are a credentialed infectious disease expert like Drs. Osterholm and Fauci, I will continue to listen to those experts and tune out the rest of the opinions, thanks. Their guidance and Governor Walz’ attention to it is a big reason why Minnesota is weathering this relatively well, with only 50 deaths so far vs. some other states and their choices.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:07 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd564 View Post
1. Fauci won't say we are safe until everyone is vaccinated (if it were solely up to him)
2. Fauci has no concern for the economy or the number of deaths that will arise from people being unemployed and depressed.
It goes along with my contention that there isn't any single exit strategy that will work nationally. So many want to pin this on the federal government (a nice way of saying he who shall not be named), but there are some states and some big cities that are going to want to do it differently. It is certain the medical experts would do it differently.

We've gone down the rabbit hole. People seem content to have crippled the economy, some of it permanently, and it is going to take years to get back. Lifestyles will change, and some of it will be for the better. Some of it won't.

No matter when the decisions are made to open up the states and the country, someone is going to die because of COVID-19, and many will want to pin blame on someone or some entity for this. The finger-pointing has just started, and anyone believing that we, as a country, are going to come together because of this will be sadly mistaken.
Closed Thread