Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 03:15 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For those of you wearing N95 type masks, do you wear them only once and then dispose of them? If you wear them more than once how do you sanitize them between wearings?
harllee is offline   Reply
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2020, 03:43 PM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
For those of you wearing N95 type masks, do you wear them only once and then dispose of them? If you wear them more than once how do you sanitize them between wearings?
I swap them out. Air them and try to get some sunshine on them. Never find myself wearing 2 days in a row. Wear one set and air the other. I wear cloth over them when required to (n95 but has a valve, my health facility requires a mask over the valve) I also wear a cloth mask ivrr if Im going somewhere I deem as higher risk or known rusk BC I don't know what I will encounter
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply
Old 10-28-2020, 03:53 PM   #103

Ref jaw pain? Yes I notice when I wear an n95 an hour or more i do have jaw pain afterwards and that night. I think I must hold my mouth open pulling against the mask so I can mouth breathe.
Old 10-28-2020, 04:18 PM   #104
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
Ref jaw pain? Yes I notice when I wear an n95 an hour or more i do have jaw pain afterwards and that night. I think I must hold my mouth open pulling against the mask so I can mouth breathe.
Probably right. Pretty common complaint among workers new to wearing protective masks on-the-job for long periods (like new woodworkers, healthcare workers, spray painters, etc.).

And I also air out my N95 masks before wearing a second time. Sunshine is always good too
ERhoosier is offline   Reply
Old 10-28-2020, 07:20 PM   #105

Quote:
I purchased six 3M 8210 N95 masks from a home improvement store in early March. I use the N95 masks with a disposable mask over it to keep it clean (there is no valve on my N95s) when I am indoors and just use a disposable mask outdoors - my state mandates use of a mask in all public places. Although it is more difficult to breathe with the N95, I have become used to it and feel more secure than with other masks. And I wear the N95 only two to three hours each week as do not go out much and air it out between uses.

It is hard to find good information on the expected life of these but the most common recommendation I have seen is a day but one article recommended a week max. My dental hygienist at the periodontist's office is issued two N95 masks a week. So I numbered my masks and have been using three of the six and logging how long each is used. I am up to about 25 hours each on two of them and transitioning to my third mask.

However the plastic head straps are flimsy and tend to break and I repair them as best as I can. And one of my masks seem to be warping some after about 20 hours and I am concerned about the air tightness. So I appreciate Freedom56 alerting us that N95s are now being sold again to the public and plan to order more and discard my older ones.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:32 PM   #106
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This should convince everyone to wear a mask - but it won’t...

https://www.vumc.org/health-policy/s...t-Oct%2027.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BB686DCC-843D-47EC-9EDA-1F743A05D3B2.jpeg (217.1 KB, 89 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply
Old 10-29-2020, 09:49 AM   #107

Quote:
We wear them repeatedly and put them out in the sun for an hour or two to air out. However, our social distancing means we can go days without needing to wear any mask and even then it is usually for less than half an hour. Now that N-95 masks are more available, we'll dispose of the masks more frequently I suppose.
Ian S is online now   Reply
Old 10-29-2020, 09:58 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

Based on what we've learned about the importance of amount of exposure to the virus over time, these results shouldn't surprise anyone. Of course masks aren't 100% effective but it's pretty clear they reduce the exposure especially if both parties are wearing them. Even with a mask, it's still better to avoid indoor and/or crowded situations for any significant amount of time. That's what we are doing and will continue to do absent effective and widely available treatments/vaccines.
Ian S is online now   Reply
Old 10-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #109

Quote:
We are using 3M Aura 9205+ NIOSH N95 masks. We have found that these masks are good for about 20 hours of use. So we re-use them after going to the supermarket or store. We wipe down the outside lightly with a Clorox wipe. We expose the interior to UV light. On a recent trip to Florida, I found that I could use these mask for the flight to and from Florida but the mask was pretty well done after that. We stocked up on these 3M Aura and also Honeywell H910+ N95 masks in anticipation of a second wave to carry us to the end of 2021. We also have ASTM Level 3 surgical masks that are single use masks and KN95 masks that can be re-used up to 20 times that we use for general purpose dust protection when using power tools.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply
Old 10-29-2020, 02:03 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
We are using 3M Aura 9205+ NIOSH N95 masks.
Where are the places selling these?

I can't find them anywhere.

retire-early is offline   Reply
Old 10-29-2020, 02:08 PM   #111

Links about 10 posts above
Quote:
Originally Posted by retire-early View Post

Old 10-29-2020, 02:27 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
Links about 10 posts above
Missed that somehow.

Thanks!!!!

Just bought ten of the N95 which I will give to my mom.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:53 PM   #113

Quote:

We were able to buy them from this source.

https://www.henryschein.com/us-en/de...irator/1385354

My wife is still a licensed surgical O/R nurse. She has a contact at this particular medical supply distributer. They are sold in boxes of 440 masks but she split the order with 12 other people. They cost under $2 each. There are sellers on Ebay selling these masks for $8 to $12 each in low quantities. I wore one of these mask on my recent flight. It seals extremely well and I felt pretty secure with these on. After wearing this mask for 8-10 hours straight, the leave an indentation of the shape of the mask on your face.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:51 PM   #114

Are they individually wrapped?
Old 10-29-2020, 06:07 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

I am a huge supporter of masks, and I would love these charts to be true, and to show what they appear to show.

But:
1. It's always important to be very careful with aggregated data (the ecological fallacy is always lurking).

2. Part, or all, or even more than 100% (multiple regression can get very weird, very fast) of the variance in outcomes associated with mask wearing could be in fact due to other factors that happen to be also associated with mask wearing. For example, looking round this forum, I think it's reasonable to assume that the people here who report wearing masks are also more likely to be maintaining a 6-foot distance from other people, not going out to bars much, etc.

As ever, unless we do a controlled experiment, we can only deduce causality if the confounding variables would have to be overwhelmingly smaller than the purported main effect. A researcher named Cornfield showed in 1959 that this was indeed the case for tobacco smoking and lung cancer, and defined the conditions that have to hold to be able to draw causal conclusions from observational data. I don't think those conditions are met here.
BigNick is offline   Reply
Old 10-29-2020, 06:25 PM   #116

Quote:
Are they individually wrapped?
Yes all 3M NIOSH N95 masks are individually wrapped. The same for Honeywell.

I just received and returned on order of Honeywell N95 masks today. They should have been individually wrapped in packaging marked "Honeywell" like others I have but they came together in a plain plastic bag of 10 masks. They appeared to be Chinese copies. I opened the box and suspected that they were fake and contacted the seller and received and RMA number and return shipping label.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:16 PM   #117

Quote:
Missed that somehow.

Thanks!!!!

Just bought ten of the N95 which I will give to my mom.
We did the same and gave most of ours to our parents. We wanted them to have a better level of protection.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:36 PM   #118

BigNick is right from a purely scientific perspective. And the supporting data are not perfect.
But masks (good ones properly worn), social distancing, and hand hygiene are the best tools a person has to protect themselves.
Unless and until we get a good vaccine.

BTW- I have some of those Optrel NIOSH N95 masks on order. Will try to report my thoughts when I get them.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply
Old 10-30-2020, 06:10 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post

BTW- I have some of those Optrel NIOSH N95 masks on order. Will try to report my thoughts when I get them.

Looking forward to your review.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply
Old 10-30-2020, 06:20 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
They have a valve by default (their valve covers are extra, and sold out). Valve's mean you are protected, but you are expelling, so I avoid folks in these as much as those with their noses showing.
I tape up the valve
garyt is offline   Reply
Closed Thread