Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 07:58 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Old people had the most COVID deaths, and those have dropped like a stone. With only a fraction of the population vaccinated, and a lot of them refusing to mask or social distance, how can it be the vaccines' fault that cases and deaths still occur?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
I did not say that the vaccines are not working. I was just saying that they are not as good as I expected, i.e., completely stop infections. I have no problem with the vaccines and I am fully vaccinated if that matters.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2021, 08:25 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
As of 3/25, 14.3% of the US is vaccinated. How can infections completely stop when only 14.3% are vaccinated?

But we don’t know how many already had it and are immune? Unless they went to hospital or died, we would not know. I’m sure people can guess, but they don’t know.
So maybe with vaccines we’re much higher % of immunity. 50, 60, 70?
Old 03-29-2021, 08:45 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
But we don’t know how many already had it and are immune? Unless they went to hospital or died, we would not know. I’m sure people can guess, but they don’t know.
So maybe with vaccines we’re much higher % of immunity. 50, 60, 70?
Unless new daily Covid cases drop off dramatically, we aren’t any where near herd immunity. Cases instead are rising again.

At this point we’re working hard to limit the worst outcomes of the disease, and clearly the vaccine is helping tremendously. And I hope it continues to do so in the face of another surge due to states opening up completely while at the same time more contagious variants are spreading across the US.

Meanwhile, I’m scheduled to get my first dose this afternoon, and anxious to get it as I’m quite concerned about cases rising among the younger folks, and B117 raging in parts of the country. B117 is particularly contagious among the 13-17 age group, so with schools opening everywhere, it will spread rapidly across households.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:56 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

The drop in nursing home deaths is especially impressive, given what I read about shot refusal by a lot of the help.

I've always been even more scared of gruesome long-term damage from COVID, than of dying from it. How that doesn't scare other people is beyond me.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:25 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
Maybe the weakest are already dead, the ones alive already have immunity. It looks like that the effects of the vaccines are not as good as expected to have dropped infections like a falling-cliff.
I think what has happened is that many people who haven't gotten a vaccine are relaxing their guard as they see falling death and infection rates.

My guess is that about half of Americans who will ever get vaccinated have had at least one shot, and that we will top out about 60% vaccinated. In addition to anti-vaccine people, many others are afraid of huge bills from any voluntary interaction with a medical facility, however baseless that is for COVID vaccination.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:33 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I've always been even more scared of gruesome long-term damage from COVID, than of dying from it. How that doesn't scare other people is beyond me.
The same for me. I've realized in the past year that I don't have a life plan that doesn't involve my being physically active into my 70s.

The combination of that and taking an immunosuppressant medication has made me very cautious about COVID.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:39 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
One data point; my son tested positive for COVID-19 in early December. Very minor symptoms, if any. He tested negative for antibodies a few days ago. So either one of the tests were flat-out wrong, or the antibody test is not a good indicator. From everything I've read about the immune system (funny how we're all becoming experts lately!) I suspect the latter.
In our case, DW tested positive a few months ago, I tested negative. She took a follow up test a couple of days after the initial positive and then tested negative. I have since given blood (about every 50 days) and the antibody tests have been negative. My FIL also tested positive but an antibody test about a month later was also negative. So, I think there *may* have been quite a few false positives.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:43 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Saw this CDC release that shows that even just one dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine has shown a marked reduction of 80% risk of infection for those with just ONE vaccine (14 days post vaccination). This mirrors a couple of other studies that show similar numbers and is really good news. If these numbers are accurate, then the % of Americans with 80%+ risk reduction is significant.

Quote:
A new CDC study provides strong evidence that mRNA COVID-19 vaccines are highly effective in preventing SARS-CoV-2 infections in real-world conditions among health care personnel, first responders, and other essential workers. These groups are more likely than the general population to be exposed to the virus because of their occupations.

The study looked at the effectiveness of Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna mRNA vaccines in preventing SARS-CoV-2 infections among 3,950 study participants in six states over a 13-week period from December 14, 2020 to March 13, 2021.

Results showed that following the second dose of vaccine (the recommended number of doses), risk of infection was reduced by 90 percent two or more weeks after vaccination. Following a single dose of either vaccine, the participants’ risk of infection with SARS-CoV-2 was reduced by 80 percent two or more weeks after vaccination.
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...-Vaccines.html
Old 03-29-2021, 10:06 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Steam View Post
I think what has happened is that many people who haven't gotten a vaccine are relaxing their guard as they see falling death and infection rates.

My guess is that about half of Americans who will ever get vaccinated have had at least one shot, and that we will top out about 60% vaccinated. In addition to anti-vaccine people, many others are afraid of huge bills from any voluntary interaction with a medical facility, however baseless that is for COVID vaccination.

FWIW: The person giving me the shot did not and will not get the vaccine.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:16 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The drop in nursing home deaths is especially impressive, given what I read about shot refusal by a lot of the help.

It's amazing to me how fear of the unknown outweighs fear of the known in many people. I tell my patients who are debating getting the vaccine that they get to choose between the unlikely possibility of long-term adverse effects of the vaccine or known severe long-term effects of the virus. To me, it's a no-brainer.

And what I find really interesting is that the same group of people who have complained most loudly about government shut downs and about having to wear masks, etc. are the same ones refusing the vaccines. Well, if you don't like the pandemic, do your part to help end it. Refusing to vaccinate, and even worse, convincing others not to get vaccinated, is doing quite the opposite. Unfortunately, humans are largely stupid and selfish...

But, hey, this past weekend, I went out to eat (sitting down, not take-out) for the first time in over a year! And we celebrated my youngest daughter's second birthday with some family, again, a first in over a year. We are fortunate to be fully vaccinated, as were all of the adults at the small party. We're still wearing masks out and avoiding large crowds, but after a year of being very strict, it's nice to have some human interaction again outside of our own home, and feeling relatively safe in doing so because of the vaccines.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:26 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Well here's a depressing story. Just as we are fully vaccinated and wanting to go to in person church, our church dropped all mask wearing mandates.

The gentleman who seconded the motion to drop mask wearing, spend 10 plus days in hospital, 4 weeks on supplemental O2 and almost died from COVID. And his brother got Covid and ended up in ICU, Mom 92 caught Covid and ended up in the hospital..At least 5 people in his family have had Covid, but I guess that's a minor detail. I'm so annoyed!!!!

If people were getting vaccinated this wouldn't be a problem. I understand technically I'm probably OK to attend church but this didn't put me in a churchy mood.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:29 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Well here's a depressing story. Just as we are fully vaccinated and wanting to go to in person church, our church dropped all mask wearing mandates.

The gentleman who seconded the motion to drop mask wearing, spend 10 plus days in hospital, 4 weeks on supplemental O2 and almost died from COVID. And his brother got Covid and ended up in ICU, Mom 92 caught Covid and ended up in the hospital..At least 5 people in his family have had Covid, but I guess that's a minor detail. I'm so annoyed!!!!
Maybe time to find a new church? There are plenty out there to chose from.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:31 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post

Well people are pretty much the same everywhere, sadly. The whole thing is mind boggling as to people that actually had severe Covid don't want to take every possible precaution to keep others from the same fate.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:32 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well people are pretty much the same everywhere, sadly.
Good point. Hopefully the numbers will continue to decline and the masks can prudently put away.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:44 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well people are pretty much the same everywhere, sadly. The whole thing is mind boggling as to people that actually had severe Covid don't want to take every possible precaution to keep others from the same fate.
I hear ya!

Gosh, in a church service fellowship, worship, etc., the least you can go is try to protect others present. At least until most are vaccinated. Otherwise dropping simple precautions forces the most vulnerable to stay away. Not very welcoming!

And you cannot yet claim the vulnerable are already vaccinated. Maybe in a couple of months that will be true.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:46 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbiker View Post
It's amazing to me how fear of the unknown outweighs fear of the known in many people. I tell my patients who are debating getting the vaccine that they get to choose between the unlikely possibility of long-term adverse effects of the vaccine or known severe long-term effects of the virus. To me, it's a no-brainer.

And what I find really interesting is that the same group of people who have complained most loudly about government shut downs and about having to wear masks, etc. are the same ones refusing the vaccines. Well, if you don't like the pandemic, do your part to help end it. Refusing to vaccinate, and even worse, convincing others not to get vaccinated, is doing quite the opposite. Unfortunately, humans are largely stupid and selfish...
+1000

One of the most depressing things about the COVID pandemic is how starkly it has demonstrated the severe lack of critical, rational thinking skills among certain subsets of the population... and how those subsets aren't nearly as small in size as I would have expected or hoped.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:24 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
FWIW: The person giving me the shot did not and will not get the vaccine.

There are lots of different reasons why some people do not want the vaccine. I don't make any judgments about it..........each of us has to decide for ourselves if we want it or not, based on our individual situation. Some people want to label everyone who won't get the vaccine a crazy anti-vaxxer, but I won't do that (and I don't believe it is accurate, either).
Old 03-29-2021, 11:38 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbiker View Post

I don't want to get into a debate about vaccines, but I don't think it is that simple. Yes, some people who get the virus get very sick, and may have long-term effects, but those people are still in the minority. A majority of people who have gotten seriously ill have one or more chronic health issues that likely contributed to their poor outcome. I'm sure you have read about those chronic issues and their link to severe COVID..............obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, etc.. I do realize that some people who are reasonably healthy and do not have chronic health issues have also gotten very sick with COVID, but if you look at the numbers, they are definitely very much in the minority.

So, for someone in very good health, with a strong immune system, I don't think the risk of getting extremely sick with COVID is high. I actually know quite a few people who have had COVID, and have gotten through it with either very mild symptoms, or symptoms that lasted a week or so, with no lingering issues. I'm not saying that most people should not get vaccinated, because I think most people probably should (especially considering the health status of the average middle-age to older American, which is not all that great). But I do not think it is a "no brainer" that EVERYONE should.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:41 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post

I have had a similar experience and sadly, it is very difficult to find a church that a percentage of people don't behave the same way.

Two of my employees plus me have gotten our first shot. One came down with COVID and have had a heck of a time with it. They were out of work for 2-weeks and although they are back, you can tell there are lingering affects. One of my employees believes it is a big conspiracy. Ugh!

cd :O)
Old 03-29-2021, 11:45 AM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

Despite the real world 90% effectiveness of 2 doses of both the Pfizer & Moderna vaccines announced by the CDC following their study of 4,000 essential workers, CDC Director Walensky expressed today a feeling of "impending doom" due to rising caseloads in the USA. Daily cases, hospitalizations, and deaths, are all increasing again, despite more and more people getting vaccinated every day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ve-updates-us/

"The recent U.S. seven-day average, at just under 60,000 daily cases, is a 10 percent increase vs. the prior seven-day period. Hospitalizations have risen, too. The seven-day average death rate, which typically lags behind cases and hospitalizations, increased by 3 percent, Walensky said."

=================================

It could be due to people engaging in more risky behavior now, and it could also be due to an increased presence of variants which spread more easily. Or both. And the variants could also be more likely to cause severe illness.
Closed Thread