Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-02-2021, 09:11 AM   #741
Recycles dryer sheets

Scheduled a Moderna booster and flu shot for next week. The half dose one. Lots of available appointments at pharmacies here in Atlanta area. With the holidays coming and the mingling with family and friends at Thanksgiving, it is a good time for the booster. I am 8+ months from last dose.
Live Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2021, 10:00 AM   #742
Full time employment: Posting here.

My wife, daughter and I got our Moderna boosters 2 days ago. Scheduled an appointment at Publix and we were all done in 15 minutes. No lines at all.

We all had slightly sore arms for a day. Yesterday all of us felt fatigue most of the day. Daughter still went to work and was fine.

Today daughter and I feel great. Wife a little bit tired but feeling fine.

Scheduled our flu shots for this Friday. Pharmacist suggested not getting flu and booster at same time. Said it was safe to do it but if any reactions wouldn't know if booster or flu shot.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:11 PM   #743
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just trying to confirm. My brief research on the Moderna booster seems to show it only being approved for 65+, or those younger with some immune compromised condition. Or younger who work in health care.
I’m waiting on the Moderna booster but don’t qualify under any of these conditions. Assume it will open up for others at some point. Do I have this correct? Thanks.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:24 PM   #744

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Just trying to confirm. My brief research on the Moderna booster seems to show it only being approved for 65+, or those younger with some immune compromised condition. Or younger who work in health care.
I’m waiting on the Moderna booster but don’t qualify under any of these conditions. Assume it will open up for others at some point. Do I have this correct? Thanks.
From CDC(dot)Gov, the eligibility criteria for ages 18-64 (not including underlying conditions) are shown below. Multiple occupations besides health care are eligible (not just health care workers).
Attached Images
File Type: png Booster Eligible.png (89.2 KB, 29 views)
Old 11-02-2021, 12:30 PM   #745

My understanding is if you have an underlying health issue, i.e. high blood pressure, bmi greater than 30, etc you can get any available booster if under 65.

And for Pfizer or Moderna it must be at least 6 months after your last dose.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:33 PM   #746

Thanks. That matches what my research had found. I don’t qualify on age, health issues, and I’m happily retired. So, for now I must continue to wait on the booster until it’s approved for all. It’s been 9 months since my last jab.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:36 PM   #747

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Great feeling this morning -- completely back to normal.
When I got the original vaccinations in February it took two weeks before the fatigue was gone. After the booster it only took five days, I guess partly because of the half dose. So good to be past that!

My arm was a little sore for a day, but, I didn't have any body aches or fatigue after my booster, I hope it did it's job.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:38 PM   #748
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got the Pfizer booster yesterday morning. I started feeling feverish just before bed around 12 hours post shot. I slept from 10:30-11:30 then laid in bed for 7 hours feeling miserable. I had a fever, chills, and a bad cramp in my foot. Now, 28 hours post shot, the fever is gone and I just have a really bad headache. One of the worst headaches I have ever had. For those still working fulltime you better take at least one day off work after the shot.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:48 PM   #749
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks. That matches what my research had found. I don’t qualify on age, health issues, and I’m happily retired. So, for now I must continue to wait on the booster until it’s approved for all. It’s been 9 months since my last jab.
Do you know your BMI? Anyone with 25 or higher is considered overweight and the majority of people fall in that category. Have you ever had a high blood pressure reading? You could justify getting the booster if you wanted to. They don't ask for any proof of a health issue.
Old 11-02-2021, 01:47 PM   #750
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The medical conditions listed are very broad and sufficiently vague. I didn’t wait when I hit the 6 months after 2nd dose. I’m 62 close enough.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:02 PM   #751
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I did have to have an appointment for CVS and they were turning away anyone without an appointment
Yeah. What is THAT about? Many places locally are simply "show up" and get your booster - but not CVS. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:12 PM   #752
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Yeah. What is THAT about? Many places locally are simply "show up" and get your booster - but not CVS. YMMV
Not sure how that works. They have to be frozen and prepped before use. Not sure how soon after being taken out of the freezer that they are usable but it's not immediately.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:22 PM   #753

Interesting article about booster effectiveness.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...249-2/fulltext

Vaccine effectiveness evaluated at least 7 days after receipt of the third dose, compared with receiving only two doses at least 5 months ago, was estimated to be 93% (231 events for two doses*vs*29 events for three doses; 95% CI 88–97) for admission to hospital, 92% (157*vs*17 events; 82–97) for severe disease, and 81% (44*vs*seven events; 59–97) for COVID-19-related death.

Booster shots appear to be quite effective .
Old 11-02-2021, 02:32 PM   #754

Quote:
We just got ours today at CVS. Scheduled yesterday. Plenty of spots available, and no one else was there for shots when we were.

I think CVS wants appointments for 2 reasons:

1. To make sure there is not a long line, but more important to them:

2. When you make the appointment on-line you fill out all the paperwork. Insurance info, agree to all the caveats, select the shot (Moderna, Pfizer), etc. When you get there you then check-in with a link from a text. You sign one piece of paper and get your shot. So, they simplify their work by having you do it on-line. Personally, I have no problem with that. My 90yo MIL would not be able to handle it this way.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:34 PM   #755
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11522914 View Post
Interesting article about booster effectiveness.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...249-2/fulltext

Vaccine effectiveness evaluated at least 7 days after receipt of the third dose, compared with receiving only two doses at least 5 months ago, was estimated to be 93% (231 events for two doses*vs*29 events for three doses; 95% CI 88–97) for admission to hospital, 92% (157*vs*17 events; 82–97) for severe disease, and 81% (44*vs*seven events; 59–97) for COVID-19-related death.

Booster shots appear to be quite effective if I read this correctly.
Yes, everything I've seen suggests that boosters are an important part of protecting individuals AND (hopefully) blunting Covid 19 to manageable levels for the entire "herd." Let us hope so.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:44 PM   #756
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well the CVS where I got my booster is very busy. They usually only have 2 or 3 people working. When I got my shot there was a line of people getting Covid boosters and flu vaccines. If they did not require appointments it would be chaos.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 03:03 PM   #757
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Well the CVS where I got my booster is very busy. They usually only have 2 or 3 people working. When I got my shot there was a line of people getting Covid boosters and flu vaccines. If they did not require appointments it would be chaos.
That's the way it was when I went for my 1st and 2nd shots. In fact, I had to drive across the Island to get those shots because only 2 or 3 of our many Longs Drugs (CVS) were doing shots back in March/April.

But the Longs which turned me away recently had NO customers with two med-tech-type folks sitting - waiting for their next appt. to arrive, I guess. All the time I waited in line for a script (about 10 minutes) nothing was happening in the booth. After "spending" my Extra-Care coupons in the store, I checked back - just for fun. The booth had no customers and the same 2 shot-givers chatting with one another.

CVS has a right to their policy and I have a right to look elsewhere. YMMV

Old 11-02-2021, 03:28 PM   #758

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I got the Pfizer booster yesterday morning. I started feeling feverish just before bed around 12 hours post shot. I slept from 10:30-11:30 then laid in bed for 7 hours feeling miserable. I had a fever, chills, and a bad cramp in my foot. Now, 28 hours post shot, the fever is gone and I just have a really bad headache. One of the worst headaches I have ever had. For those still working fulltime you better take at least one day off work after the shot.
It continues to fascinate me how varied responses are to the vaccine. My first Pfizer resulted in a full week of crushing fatigue, but no flu-like symptoms whatsoever. My second Pfizer shot delivered a mild case of 24 hour fatigue, as did the Moderna booster I got just last week.

My spouse, conversely, had awful flu symptoms after Moderna #1, mild flu symptoms after Moderna #2, and zero symptoms of any sort after Moderna booster.

In other news, beyond thrilled that the vaccine has just been approved by the CDC for 5-11 year olds, the age bracket of my GD's. An enormous relief on so many levels, both small (my family) and large (everyone else!) scale.
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:24 PM   #759
gone traveling

DW and I received our Moderna boosters today, no problems. I can't help but think this is going to become an ongoing event in the future
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:24 PM   #760
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I can't help but think this is going to become an ongoing event in the future
Let's hope not. Because it could mean there's a variant that's even more transmissible than Delta.

If not for the Delta variant, we might not have needed boosters at 6 months.

Also maybe some alternative vaccines will have a chance to be developed including nasal vaccines.

The problem is, Pfizer may have created a moat with sheer manufacturing capacity.

The Novavax vaccine had some promising clinical trial data but they have had all kinds of production problems.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wsj covid vaccine update