FDA: Best Practices for Re-Opening Retail Food Establishments

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish you good luck, but with the rigidness of the guidelines, I expect numerous restaurants that were otherwise popular and profitable prior to COVID-19 to not survive. People seem willing to let restaurants go under who can't adapt to their expectations for fighting COVID-19 or (heaven forbid) similar. I'm not saying people aren't entitled to these requirements. Just don't be surprised by the outcome.
+ 1

Restaurants are a low margin business to begin with. I don't know how most will get by beyond 6 months without substantially raising prices.

I wish you good luck, but with the rigidness of the guidelines, I expect numerous restaurants that were otherwise popular and profitable prior to COVID-19 to not survive. People seem willing to let restaurants go under who can't adapt to their expectations for fighting COVID-19 or (heaven forbid) similar. I'm not saying people aren't entitled to these requirements. Just don't be surprised by the outcome.

Which guidelines are you referring to? The ones in the OP - the thread topic - are not rigid, they’re not even mandatory.

Which guidelines are you referring to? The ones in the OP - the thread topic - are not rigid, they’re not even mandatory.
Both. Many of the "non-mandatory" guidelines by the FDA are being required by many states and big cities, at least in those that are allowed to start opening up now.

In Texas many restaurants didn’t reopen because 25% doesn’t cut it. Here we can have 50%.

Florida is 25 % but any limit outside as long as the tables are well spaced. IMO it is just not fun to eat out right now .

+ 1

Restaurants are a low margin business to begin with. I don't know how most will get by beyond 6 months without substantially raising prices.

That's so true. I do expect that many of our restaurants will go under. We want to get back to patronizing our favorite ones right away, to help them survive 2020.

Our favorite restaurant has already raised prices for take-out, increasing the price by about $3-$4 per meal. I am sure there will be more price hikes before they are done. Still, we would rather keep them afloat and have been adding 2-3 times the usual tip to these inflated prices when we get take-out. We'll do the same for eating inside once that is allowed (tomorrow? :D ). We can afford it for now.

My memory could be off but I think Phase II is 50% occupancy for restaurants, and that may not be too many more weeks. Our favorite restaurant seldom if ever had 50% of the tables in use before the pandemic so this would essentially be no limitation at all.

Both. Many of the "non-mandatory" guidelines by the FDA are being required by many states and big cities, at least in those that are allowed to start opening up now.

The OP is a set of guidelines, none of which appear to be onerous. Which mandate item do you think should be changed, and how so?

I’m sympathetic to the view that restaurants should have some leeway. If people want to swap air and eat shoulder to shoulder, perhaps we should not get in the way.

Public health guidelines tend to address health related items that are not easily seen by patrons, such as safe handling and storage of food. The full service restaurant with smaller kitchen and large dining room will face difficulties regardless of state or local mandates. It’s not the regulation, it’s the concern about safety that will keep patrons away.

It's going to be a long while before we know, things could get worse but they could get better, and large metro areas may have very different experiences over more rural counties. Two current projections (talking sit down restaurants):

One-Quarter of American Restaurants Won’t Reopen, OpenTable Says https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...rican-restaurants-won-t-reopen-opentable-says

Experts Say Half of SF’s Restaurants Won’t Survive Pandemic https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loc...fs-restaurants-wont-survive-pandemic/2284409/

KC et al. Our shopping, dining out and entertainment venue attendance are TBD. When we do venture out they will not be the same.

New habit patterns will emerge.

Heh heh heh - ? Fare thee well Texas and Florida? Learn to love winter on the High Plains? :cool: ;).

We're a fairly well informed group here, so this anecdote from DD today surprised me. She said an old man came inside Panera Bread. He was wearing a mask. He appeared not to be too familiar with the menu. He asked the cashier a lot of questions about the food. When he got his order, he stood there staring around at the empty dining room, most of which is blocked off by chairs. He looked confused and a bit lost, so a manager came to see if he needed help. He asked where he was supposed to sit. :( The manager explained that dining in wasn't allowed until next week Thursday. Unfortunately for him, patio dining isn't allowed until tomorrow. It's a real shame because it was in the 60s today and dry at the time. But they are trying to be strict about following the rules.

They've been covering reopening dates for dining options well in the local news media. Some people seem unaware though. They've had to ask customers to leave both the dining room and outside patio a few times over the last week. :confused:

DW last night: “The Governor is lifting restrictions on restaurants. Let’s go out for our anniversary! (early June).”

Me: “You’re kidding, right?”

Her: “Not kidding!”

Me: (thought bubble “Are you high?”) “How about a gourmet picnic in a park?”

Her: “Yeah! We’ll get takeout!”

Me: (thought bubble “Phew, I won the match so stop playing.”)

Florida restaurants have been opened for two weeks . The nicer restaurants waited a week to open and are really trying for a safe atmosphere . The dives are being dives and ignoring all but a few of the rules. We went to a pre opening of a very nice restaurant but have been nowhere since . We are waiting to see if some of the idiots at the dives cause a spike before we venture out .

Last edited:
Tomorrow is the first day that our restaurants can be open, at 25% capacity. We decided that if our favorite small Italian place is open, we are going there for lunch.

I’m looking forward to going back to a restaurant but they’re not open here yet. It’ll be odd with all the new cleanliness and distancing guidelines.

It could be years, or never, before restaurants are allowed to go back to their previous 100% capacity? Has to increase the cost of dining out, fewer tables or larger spaces cost money. At least restaurants might not be as noisy anymore, a plus.

It occurs to me that takeout will remain safer and cheaper. We never used to do takeout, but we might mix dine in with takeout for quite a while after restaurants open.

Last edited:
It occurs to me that takeout will remain safer and cheaper. We never used to do takeout, but we might mix dine in with takeout for quite a while after restaurants open.

I agree. I think restaurants that survive will blend sit-down and a more sophisticated form of take out.

I can see myself calling Molly's House of Pancakes to see if there is a table available. No tables, but tonight's take-out special is a chopped salad with blue cheese, cacao nibs and blueberry vinaigrette, Veggie pie with kale, sweet potato, carrots, leeks and tomato dipping sauce, and a puff pastry containing sweet cheese, blue berries, and a cardamon-lime glaze on top.

I read that a local independent restaurant won't be opening their patio for outdoor dining today, because they haven't been able to reliably get a steady supply of masks, hand sanitizer, other sanitizing products, and thermometers. They're going to continue operating for carryout only. I'd guess they won't be able to reopen their dining room next Thursday either. We only ate there a couple of times. Great food, but way too noisy. Even sitting at a small table, you had to shout to try and have a conversation.

Comments from most of their loyal customers express disappointment and understanding. A few people wonder why they weren't better prepared for this. One person suggested they search for better suppliers. I'd have to agree with the latter viewpoints. The 3 employers of my household members have had all the necessary supplies for several weeks. Reading between the lines, I wonder how/if this restaurant has been following basic protocols up until now.

The WSJ reported today McDonalds published guidance for its franchises to reopen. It’s behind a paywall, so here’s a report from another source https://www.delish.com/food-news/a32460771/fast-food-dining-rooms-reopen-coronavirus/

I think business moving forward and setting standards for continuing operations is a good idea and am surprised we haven’t seen more to date.

My post #74 has a link to the customer-friendly version. :) I would not like to see the 59 page version. :(

I can see myself calling Molly's House of Pancakes to see if there is a table available. No tables, but tonight's take-out special is a chopped salad with blue cheese, cacao nibs and blueberry vinaigrette, Veggie pie with kale, sweet potato, carrots, leeks and tomato dipping sauce, and a puff pastry containing sweet cheese, blue berries, and a cardamon-lime glaze on top.
Will they deliver to Illinois?

Many kinds of meals don’t travel well and are cold and nasty after the 15 minute drive home. We ate outside last Saturday at a restaurant and will do so again tomorrow.

We've done drive thrus from local burger joints and take out from our favorite Chinese restaurant. We have no plans to eat inside or on a patio for a long time. At least until a good vaccine is out or very good, proven, consistent treatment is available.

I don't think the "virus police" will enforce the limits here in Texas. But it is immaterial because the key to restaurants re-opening will be when people feel safe and I don't think that will happen anytime soon. Why take a chance just to eat BBQ or Mexican food (that is the only kind of restaurants we have). :LOL:

We've done drive thrus from local burger joints and take out from our favorite Chinese restaurant. We have no plans to eat inside or on a patio for a long time. At least until a good vaccine is out or very good, proven, consistent treatment is available.
Some/many feel as you do. We expect to be more adventurous but won’t be the first back. It’ll be interesting to see how many go back at what levels, I’m not sure what to expect, and it could easily be in fits and starts if there are follow up coronavirus waves.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom