Found a box of 125 nitrile gloves; how do I find out who to donate these to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NateW

Recycles dryer sheets
Yesterday, while looking for something else in my garage I founed an unopened box of 125 nitrile gloves I bought a couple of years ago and forgot about. I want to give them to the hospital, first responder, etc., with the greatest need. How do I identify who really needs them and how to get the gloves to them? I am in Winchester, VA. Virginia has not set up a hotline for PPE donations, as far as I know. Thanks.

I would probably drop them at the nearest fire station. If they aren't the best for them, they'll know how to get them to the right folks.

Thanks Aerides, good idea.

I did notice the box of gloves states, "Not for medical use." I bought these at Home Depot for automotive work. My guess is that the disclaimer is to protect the manufacturer and perhaps these gloves are the same ones the medical profession uses, but are not certified, and therefore, cost quite a bit less. I'll let the medical professionals decide if they can be used. There does not appear to be a lot of options now:-[

You could also use them yourself if it is an open single box. I found some industrial N95 masks that I bought when I was sanding floors. My niece, an ER doctor in Denver who has been featured on TV, advised me to keep them and NOT to feel guilty about it. The box is open and not sterile which makes it difficult for most medical establishments to use them. And the real issue FDA and CDC is trying to address is people hording large supplies of unopened PPE and buying them up in competition with medical and emergency organizations. It is likely that FDA and CDC will soon acknowledge that masks are advised for all of us. The only thing holding them back is that right now that will just amp up the pressure to divert PPE in the supply chain from emergency use.

A pharmacist friend of ours received 2 boxes in a recent shipment and donated them to the police department. She called them up and they were there in 5 minutes.

Are those in short supply? I have about 4 boxes of those nitrile gloves leftover from some fiberglass projects last year. I think at least two are opened though.

I also have a opened pack of N95 masks from same, but I have not worn mask or glove into any store yet. Our county only has 1 case (though stupid privacy law won't say what city it is in).

Oops, I actually have a brand new 400 pack of those gloves (200 in each box), still in shrink wrap, that we bought in Jan 2020 (had forgotten about those). This is in addition to 3 opened boxes of 200 gloves each (fiberglass is messy stuff).

So, like who would I take these to? Police, hospital, retirement home? Are gloves really in short supply?

Attachments

• gloves.jpg
    gloves.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
Are those in short supply? I have about 4 boxes of those nitrile gloves leftover from some fiberglass projects last year. I think at least two are opened though.

I also have a opened pack of N95 masks from same, but I have not worn mask or glove into any store yet. Our county only has 1 case (though stupid privacy law won't say what city it is in).

I have part of an open box.
Gave some to relatives that are vulnerable.

I stopped stockpiling those years ago, as I had some old boxes, and when I went to use them, I found they tore apart extremely easily, so the lifespan is limited.

Of course I wish I had an extra box right now, but not enough to even try shopping for some. I'm just carefully re-using them via a rotation of use.

Your local Red Cross chapter would be a good place to try. Rec Cross has connections to everyone during a disaster while functional organizations like fire stations tend to be limited to their own infrastructure plus random informal connections.

Probably a Red Cross liason rep would take the donation to one of the local Emergency Operations Centers, where virtually all organizations are represented. (No civilian access to EOCs, though.) Alternatively, RC would pass them to an organization specifically tasked to handle donations.

(This is not a good idea for general donations like food and clothing. Dealing with these can actually be a time-consuming problem for Red Cross during a disaster.)

I have part of an open box.
Gave some to relatives that are vulnerable.

I stopped stockpiling those years ago, as I had some old boxes, and when I went to use them, I found they tore apart extremely easily, so the lifespan is limited.

Of course I wish I had an extra box right now, but not enough to even try shopping for some. I'm just carefully re-using them via a rotation of use.
I used some old gloves recently for painting and had problems with them breaking apart. I kept them in the garage and suspect the seasonal weather changes had an impact. I have no idea how to judge if an unopened box is still good but it would be a terrible disservice to burden first responders with faulty PPE.

Dropped off the 400 gloves at the local emergency response center after calling them and finding out they were in great need of gloves. The guy was so thankful I felt a little bad that I had forgotten about them in the closet until now. I think being in shrink wrap and very new purchase was a bonus.

I wish I did have a bunch of the N95 masks to donate, I feel sorry if the health workers are having to go without.

Good for you, to donate those gloves. They won't go to waste.

Doesn't it seem a little odd the box has an odd number of gloves, 125.
Thanks everyone for replying. Yes, I thought 125 was an odd number for gloves, so I checked again and yes, it's labeled "125 gloves."

The box is not sealed. I can open the box flaps.

I also have 12 N-95 masks, from an open box of 30 I bought about 2 years ago. Since they are not sterile, I'll hang onto them and wear them if I have to go in a store. I may take some white latex paint and paint over the "NIOSH N-95" lettering, given the state of current affairs; don't want to be attacked!

Attachments

• IMG_20200402_193229891.jpg
    IMG_20200402_193229891.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Thanks everyone for replying. Yes, I thought 125 was an odd number for gloves, so I checked again and yes, it's labeled "125 gloves."

The box is not sealed. I can open the box flaps.

I also have 12 N-95 masks, from an open box of 30 I bought about 2 years ago. Since they are not sterile, I'll hang onto them and wear them if I have to go in a store. I may take some white latex paint and paint over the "NIOSH N-95" lettering, given the state of current affairs; don't want to be attacked!

If anyone says anything, just tell them you have covid-19 as you take off the mask :LOL::LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom