Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

French and US researchers say Hydroxycloroquine shortens Covid 19 symptoms, contagiou
Old 03-19-2020, 06:34 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

French and US researchers say Hydroxycloroquine shortens Covid 19 symptoms, contagiou

Something positive.

French and US researchers say hydroxychloroquine, shortens Covid 19 symptoms and reduces the time a patient is contagious.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/Fren...-trial-results
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2020, 06:39 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The above link doesn't work for me but here is another source of info:

Quote:
A French team on Tuesday said initial results from a 24-patient trial of hydroxychloroquine showed that 25% of patients given the drug still carried the coronavirus after six days, compared with 90% of patients given a placebo.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2161QQ
Old 03-19-2020, 07:23 AM   #3

I want to believe this. I’ve read a couple other articles making some big claims that this medicine is actually preventative along with used in treatment of the infected.

If true, that’s huge news. But I’ve had to search deep to find news. Nothing on mainstream media that I’ve seen about this. So, is this real?
Old 03-19-2020, 07:29 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
I want to believe this. I’ve read a couple other articles making some big claims that this medicine is actually preventative along with used in treatment of the infected.

If true, that’s huge news. But I’ve had to search deep to find news. Nothing on mainstream media that I’ve seen about this. So, is this real?
I do too but more time will be needed. For example the closest case to us , still one county over, is a 68 YO guy a cancer survivor with a bad heart.

Said he felt mildly sick for two days...quarantined himself because he had flown from Cali. He then read about an outbreak at the resort he stayed at in Palm springs and got the positive test.

The dude should have been a goner and barely noticed he was sick. Point being there doesn't seem to be a normal course for the virus so even blind trials can be deceiving.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:07 AM   #5

News on another promising treatment for Covid-19.

Experimental drug holds promise for treating the coronavirus

Quote:
At least two hospitalized patients who got the drug remdesivir started to feel better the next day. Clinical trial results expected in late April.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:15 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I'm watching the Task Force press conference right now, and this is one of the big topics. The DJIA briefly shot up when this was announced.

EDIT: for paragraph below. I'm confused. Not sure Hahn is talking about the malaria drug or remdesivir. Looks like he is speaking remdesivir, which would make more sense to "go slow" since it is still in trial...

The FDA head honcho (Dr. Hahn) then came on and in true FDA fashion, threw a bunch of cold water on it. He's very encouraged, but of course there has to be a strict study, blah, blah, blah. The DJIA started to drop. I get it, but man can't you go off of the France study a bit? At least the FDA opened the gates to allow the study to be fast tracked, since it is an existing drug for a different indication. So, the study starts ASAP. And the FDA gets to keep their grip on regulation.

He also mentioned developing plasma serum kind of treatment from recovered patients. Then mentioned something about 6 months. DJIA dropped some more.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:48 AM   #7

Trying my link again. It works when I copy it in, don't know what happens after I post it.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/Fren...-trial-results

EDIT: it starts and says 502, but then the page loads.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
EDIT: it starts and says 502, but then the page loads.
I get a partial page with headlines and a photo, but only "502 Bad Gateway" where I assume the story should be.

EDIT: Tried again and got it to load.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:42 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I'm watching the Task Force press conference right now, and this is one of the big topics. The DJIA briefly shot up when this was announced.

EDIT: for paragraph below. I'm confused. Not sure Hahn is talking about the malaria drug or remdesivir. Looks like he is speaking remdesivir, which would make more sense to "go slow" since it is still in trial...

The FDA head honcho (Dr. Hahn) then came on and in true FDA fashion, threw a bunch of cold water on it. He's very encouraged, but of course there has to be a strict study, blah, blah, blah. The DJIA started to drop. I get it, but man can't you go off of the France study a bit? At least the FDA opened the gates to allow the study to be fast tracked, since it is an existing drug for a different indication. So, the study starts ASAP. And the FDA gets to keep their grip on regulation...

Remdesivir was developed for Ebola, but it turned out less effective than some other drugs for that virus. However, the trials for Ebola established its safety profile, side effects, etc...

And now, for people who are already dying, what can be lost in trying it?

If the FDA drags their feet while other countries make progress, this on top of the RNA/DNA testing debacle means some heads need to be rolled. The public will demand it.

I recall watching on youtube a video segment with Dr. Fauci at the podium. I forgot if he was talking about testing, treatments, or vaccine, but at the end he said that things would move faster now with the private sector involved.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-19-2020, 04:26 PM   #10

Remdesivir and chloroquine have been tested to some extent. My understanding is Remdesivir was originally an HIV drug. It's an anti-retroviral drug (ARV). Another, cheaper HIV drug, which is a combination of two other ARV drugs, is being tested in India. I think I linked to this article in another thread.

https://www.deccanherald.com/city/to...nt-814534.html

The FDA should be told to approve this for "compassionate use." Other countries have run trials. Study it while it's being used.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:37 PM   #11

BTW, chloroquine, at least as of a few days ago, could be ordered OTC from Canadian pharmacies. I have friends that traveled in the past in areas that had malaria outbreaks and have taken it. They ordered some from a Canadian pharmacy a few days ago.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:43 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you want a deeper dive, search within youtube Medcram Coronavirus episode 35 where it goes deep into some of the research that has been done. The key to hydroxychloriquine is that it opens up pathways for zinc to get into cells to stop the enzyme that supports the replication of the virus RNA.

Now that I'm not working, I found a new interesting topic to explore.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Remdesivir and chloroquine have been tested to some extent. My understanding is Remdesivir was originally an HIV drug. It's an anti-retroviral drug (ARV). Another, cheaper HIV drug, which is a combination of two other ARV drugs, is being tested in India. I think I linked to this article in another thread.

https://www.deccanherald.com/city/to...nt-814534.html

The FDA should be told to approve this for "compassionate use." Other countries have run trials. Study it while it's being used.
I've had mandatory doses of chloroquine as a prophylaxis for decades while in the military. Various places in the Pacific, Africa, and Middle East often require this pill to avoid getting Malaria. One side effect, if I recall correctly, was some pretty vivid and strange dreams.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:20 PM   #14

Chloroquine has been on back order in the US for quite some time apparently. Will be interesting to see how quickly production can be ramped up if reports of early studies turn out to be correct.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:40 PM   #15

Is chloroquine similar to quinine? Because I have nearly a gallon of quality tonic water in the fridge.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:08 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Wikipedia has this to say about Remdesivir:

Quote:
Remdesivir (development code GS-5734) is a novel antiviral drug in the class of nucleotide analogs. It was developed by Gilead Sciences and as a treatment for Ebola virus disease and Marburg virus infections...
The other 2 antiviral drugs used for HIV treatment are Lopinavir and Ritonavir.

A recent 199-patient trial in China of the drug Kaletra (Lopinavir+Ritonavir) reported that the drug failed. However, some say the drug must be administered early enough to work.

A global trial is being orchestrated by the WHO to test all the drugs mentioned above, and announced today. It's about time.

Quote:
... Drugs being tested in the trial include an anti-malaria treatment called Chloroquine, along with an anti-viral drug called Redemsivir, a combination of HIV drugs Lopinavir and Ritonavir, plus a combination of Lopinavir and Ritonavir infused with interferon beta, which is a drug used to treat multiple sclerosis.
See: https://globalnews.ca/news/6703290/coronavirus-drugs/

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-19-2020, 09:43 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
BTW, chloroquine, at least as of a few days ago, could be ordered OTC from Canadian pharmacies. I have friends that traveled in the past in areas that had malaria outbreaks and have taken it. They ordered some from a Canadian pharmacy a few days ago.

Bummer. I can see Canada from my town. We have purchased meds OTC there before. But the border has just been closed.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:00 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Bummer. I can see Canada from my town. We have purchased meds OTC there before. But the border has just been closed.
Mail will still work. Just people are banned from crossing (unless truckers, etc).
Old 03-19-2020, 10:02 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

If the FDA drags their feet while other countries make progress, this on top of the RNA/DNA testing debacle means some heads need to be rolled. The public will demand it.
Unfortunately, even when a drug is in common usage in Europe, the FDA has in the past blocked approval for years....
(it was so long ago reading about it, that I don't have a citation).
Old 03-20-2020, 05:20 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Unfortunately, even when a drug is in common usage in Europe, the FDA has in the past blocked approval for years....
(it was so long ago reading about it, that I don't have a citation).
Dr. Hahn got choked up a bit yesterday about compassionate use, all while making sure everyone knew the FDA was in charge here and will use their regulatory hammer as necessary. Seems like they have a lot of people who enjoy the power.

Closed Thread