Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 03:18 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DH and I had our 2nd Pfizer shots 48 hours ago. We both had similar reactions, identical to our reactions to the 1st shots, which were limited to sore arms(minor pain at the injection site), which appeared at about +6 hours and disappeared at about +24 hours.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2021, 10:44 AM   #82

'COVID-19 vaccines cause mostly mild side effects, CDC finds'
Quote:
Between Dec. 14 and Jan. 13, an estimated 13.8 million doses of the vaccines were administered, with 6,994 reports of adverse events after vaccination. The CDC classified 90 percent of these as "nonserious," meaning they were temporary and not life-threatening.

The five most commonly reported nonserious outcomes were headache, fatigue, dizziness, chills and nausea — all of which were more likely to occur after the second shot.
More here: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/covi...223027833.html
Old 02-22-2021, 11:23 AM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got my 2nd shot yesterday. 12 hours later the shot arm was very sore, and I was very tired. I got up this morning after sleeping over 10 hours (very unusual for me). I feel like I have a huge hangover.

Some breakfast and coffee seem to be helping. One thing that does feel better is my overall take on life. It's nice to know I can soon play with the grands and visit some friends with the assurance that I am highly unlikely to get serious Covid. The soreness and hangover feeling are fading, and I expect they will be gone by tomorrow. The good feeling should last for many months.

It was the Pfizer vaccine if anybody is interested.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:19 AM   #84

DW & I had second Moderna shots yesterday, some hours later and today just a bit of sore arms. Slightly better than the reaction to the first shot.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:54 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Dad: renewed Shingles...
It sounds like his immune system was busy dealing with the Covid vaccine and couldn't deal with Shingles prevention. So, I think I'll get my Shingles vaccine soon. Then the dentist then the Covid vaccine. Or vise versa.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:58 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

DW got her shingles shots earlier this year she was miserable after 2nd shingles shot, for a few days.

On her 2nd Moderna vaccine shot yesterday, she was miserable first 12 hours with really bad pain in shot arm. She seems to be improving now but still tired and resting.

But hopefully healthy.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:42 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
Great feedback guys. Seems life Moderna is better based on the feedback here, with less side effects...
Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
If you like data, and I know you do, you can browse the adverse reaction database here:
https://vaers.hhs.gov/data.html

Last I checked, Pfizer had 3X the adverse reactions as Moderna, which seems odd since the Moderna dose is 4X the Pfizer dose (100ug vs 25ug IIRC).

My wife and I both had the 1st shot of Moderna vaccine. I would not feel anything unless I squeezed the arm that received the shot. My wife complained of a bit of soreness. We both felt nothing after 48 hours. Still waiting to get the 2nd shot.

Most people in my family had the same observations as above, either with Moderna or Pfizer vaccine.

My sister-in-law and her husband were the only ones we know with severe reactions with Moderna vaccine. They were OK with the 1st shot, but the husband fell sick with the 2nd shot, and was in bed with flu-like symptoms, from what I heard. My SIL had a severely sore arm that she said she could not lift, and was not able to prepare meals. They both recovered after a week.

The scariest thing I heard was from a friend of my wife. Her aunt in the 80s took Moderna 1st shot at a hospital. While waiting the 15 minutes for observation, she collapsed and died at the hospital. My 1st thought was that it was an anaphylactic reaction, because her family claimed that she was healthy with no existing conditions. However, it was later ruled a heart attack.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-10-2021, 06:56 AM   #88

Both wife and I had the Pfizer vaccine (first shot only so far). She had minor arm pain for one evening. I had moderate arm pain for about 1.5 days. Neither of us required any pain meds...just avoided moving the arm in certain positions to avoid the pain. No other side affects.

As my dad used to say..."If that's the worst thing that ever happens to you, you'll be just fine"
Old 03-13-2021, 08:36 AM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

I've read that generally older people on average have less side-effects. Thankfully my mom and stepdad reported almost none. Glad that many read here have not or reported minimal/mild

Myself, 44M, and got 2nd Pfizer shot Tues 3/9/21, have not been lucky. Have had the gauntlet of side-effects. Had to take a sick day off work 3rd day. This is day 5 and waking up with now unpleasantly usual rear headache (behind ears) and neck pain. 325 mg Aspirin has become common.

I doubt anything can be done but hope effects peters out in the next 2-3 days. The longer it goes, the more worrisome - seems to be a bit of diminishment or I could be telling myself that. The headache is low-to-moderate, and at least not in the temples or brows - its less bothersome at rear.

1st Pfizer shot had no additional side-effects besides sore-arm.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:07 AM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

I had 2nd Moderna dose 3/3. Chills (teeth chattering), extreme fatigue, light headedness, and a little headache for about 15 hours the following day.

BIL and SIL had 1st dose Moderna yesterday. Both have had Covid. BIL is going through the same side effects that I did but he is post dose 1.

SIL heard that people who have had Covid have worse side effects after the 1st dose.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:25 AM   #91
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc95 View Post
I've read that generally older people on average have less side-effects.
Interesting. My 96 year old Dad had nothing with his first Pfizer shot. My wife had quite a sore arm. I had a very mild sore arm. Just enough to know I had something done.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:27 AM   #92

I wish I had waited for the Novavax vaccine. Didn't even know it was in the pipeline.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...9-vaccine.html

Based on older versions of vaccines and has good efficacy against the UK strain and even some against the SA variant
Old 03-13-2021, 09:45 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I had 2nd Moderna dose 3/3. Chills (teeth chattering), extreme fatigue, light headedness, and a little headache for about 15 hours the following day.
We just got the 2nd Moderna shot. Worse side effects then the 1st but only one day of mild flu like symptoms: chills, fatigued, felt like hairs on skin had been rubbed the wrong way. I got War Wonton soup takeout and we just went to bed early. Today back to normall.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:24 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
I wish I had waited for the Novavax vaccine. Didn't even know it was in the pipeline.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...9-vaccine.html

Based on older versions of vaccines and has good efficacy against the UK strain and even some against the SA variant
Novavax had only 49% efficacy in the South Africa trial, where the South African variant comprised 90% of the covid cases at the time of the trial. (The JnJ vaccine showed better efficacy in their trial in South Africa.) Novavax has tried to artificially increase the efficacy percentage in their South Africa trial by separating out data from HIV- & HIV+ trial participants. They clear the 50% threshold if they don't include HIV+ patients.

It will be interesting to see what FDA decides when Novavax applies for EUA. It will still be a while before data from the US trial is available, but Novavax may decide to seek EUA based on data from other countries.
-----------------------------------
I had minimal side effects from both Pfizer shots. Mild arm soreness and slight headache for 24 hours from both shots. The arm soreness was no different from what I experience from my annual flu shot.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:26 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

I got my first Moderna shot 5 days ago... I had a sore arm around the injection site for the first three days and maybe a slight stiff neck for about 1/2 day but now no issues at all... No tiredness, fever, or other symptoms....

Based on what I've been reading, I'm not 100 % sure I want to get shot number 2.
Old 03-13-2021, 11:04 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I got my first Moderna shot 5 days ago... I had a sore arm around the injection site for the first three days and maybe a slight stiff neck for about 1/2 day but now no issues at all... No tiredness, fever, or other symptoms....

Based on what I've been reading, I'm not 100 % sure I want to get shot number 2.
Why wouldn't you get the second shot? If you have had Covid maybe you should not get the second shot but if not you need the second shot for the full protection. I had 2 Moderna shots and no side effects other than a sore arm for a couple of days, no biggie.
Old 03-13-2021, 11:48 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
Novavax had only 49% efficacy in the South Africa trial, where the South African variant comprised 90% of the covid cases at the time of the trial. (The JnJ vaccine showed better efficacy in their trial in South Africa.) Novavax has tried to artificially increase the efficacy percentage in their South Africa trial by separating out data from HIV- & HIV+ trial participants. They clear the 50% threshold if they don't include HIV+ patients.

It will be interesting to see what FDA decides when Novavax applies for EUA. It will still be a while before data from the US trial is available, but Novavax may decide to seek EUA based on data from other countries.
-----------------------------------
I had minimal side effects from both Pfizer shots. Mild arm soreness and slight headache for 24 hours from both shots. The arm soreness was no different from what I experience from my annual flu shot.
It's quite possible that the Pfizer and Moderna are even worse as they weren't tested in those regions. It is 89% against the UK variant again no one knows what the others do. But mainly I like it because it's based on vaccines that have been in use for 20 years.
Old 03-13-2021, 03:05 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Why wouldn't you get the second shot?
Well since you asked,

I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV "but" it seems like "most" of the more intense side effects I have read about come after the second shot... Maybe for some, maybe not for others.... YMMV

That "plus" lots of articles like this one (link below) "suggest" that you get over 90% of the protection after the first shot... I've read articles that claim that number is as low as ~60% and as high as ~90%. There's so much information (and misinformation) out there who really knows... Dr Fauchi still says get two shots.... To be honest, that's almost a good enough reason for me to only get one.

https://nypost.com/2021/02/18/single...ective-as-two/
Old 03-13-2021, 03:22 PM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

Guess my wife and I are the first on this thread with the J&J one shot vaccine. Both had slight soreness in the arms. I had minimal chills and a slight headache the night after. All good now. Still wearing N95 masks in public. Would hate to catch Covid before full immunity kicks in.
Old 03-13-2021, 03:31 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSdot View Post
Guess my wife and I are the first on this thread with the J&J one shot vaccine. Both had slight soreness in the arms. I had minimal chills and a slight headache the night after. All good now. Still wearing N95 masks in public. Would hate to catch Covid before full immunity kicks in.
Interesting you mentioned the mask... In Texas the statewide mask mandate has been removed (as of Wednesday) but I still see about the same number of people wearing masks. (maybe ~60+%). Even though I've had "the first shot" I'll continue to wear my mask at least until the summer... I'll probably reassess about then.