Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 06:16 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Interesting thread. Seems almost everyone (not 100%) had a sore arm from the "first shot" and a few had other mild symptoms but not much else. Some had no reactions at all to shot number one.... I too fall in the sore arm camp for the "first shot"...

However, after reading the quotes below from this thread regarding the "second shot", I just can't wait to get mine. Still thinking.... Yes, yes, I know.
But not all of us had problems with the second shots. DH and I had the exact some thing with both Moderna shots--just a sore arm for a day or so.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2021, 06:37 PM   #162
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
But not all of us had problems with the second shots. DH and I had the exact some thing with both Moderna shots--just a sore arm for a day or so.
Yep, there were some... Didn't cut and paste those. The point I was trying to make is that a lot of people in this small sample group (not all) seemed to have a lot more side effects, beyond just a sore arm, with the second shot.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:51 PM   #163
Full time employment: Posting here.

My wife, son, daughter and I all got the first Moderna shot yesterday morning.

3 of us had a slightly sore arm. My daughter had a minor headache today for several hours.

That's all we've experienced so far.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:56 PM   #164
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The painful symptoms sound inflammation related. I think it's a good idea to try to reduce inflammation leading up to the vaccine, in a natural way.

https://www.scripps.org/news_items/4...g-inflammation

Quote:
Eat more fruits and vegetables and foods containing omega-3 fatty acids. Some of the best sources of omega-3s are cold water fish, such as salmon and tuna, and tofu, walnuts, flax seeds and soybeans.

Other anti-inflammatory foods include grapes, celery, blueberries, garlic, olive oil, tea and some spices (ginger, rosemary and turmeric).

The Mediterranean diet is a perfect example of an anti-inflammatory diet. This is due to its focus on fruits, vegetables, fish and whole grains, and limits on unhealthy fats, such as red meat, butter and egg yolks as well as processed and refined sugars and carbs.
Then I'd have aspirin or ibuprofen or something on standby for possible post-vaccination use.
Old 03-26-2021, 03:50 AM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post

I was fairly worried about side effects. I probably spend too much time reading this thread LOL. Wife and I have both had soreness in the arm, just kept moving it and taking ibuprofen when needed. My arm is now back up to 80% movement w/ little noticeable pain, still slightly sore to the touch. No visible swelling or redness. Wife has experienced more pain, but only if she moves her arm. ha!

Your report of having no worse effects from the 2nd shot is *very* appreciated! I'm more hopeful now. I might even survive this.
Old 03-26-2021, 05:46 AM   #166
Recycles dryer sheets

I have had one Moderna shot so far. Mild arm soreness for one day. Then, to my surprise, on Day 8 I had intense itchiness in the arm and a raised red area about two inches by two inches at the injection site. Evidently this is Covid arm, is not dangerous and occurs in way less than 1% of patients. There seems to be a 50% chance of reoccurrence with the 2nd shot, as well some other more standard side effects.
Old 03-26-2021, 06:42 AM   #167

Got the 2nd shot yesterday (Pfizer). Only symptom was very slight discomfort in the arm, similar to what I feel with the flu shot. DW wasn't so lucky, she had a low grade fever and headache after the 2nd one and a very sore arm (Moderna).

Reading the thread, it looks like the reactions are all over the place, with no real rhyme or reason. Certainly a lot better than getting COVID.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:29 AM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Please get them both, that is what is recommended. .
Not in Spain and France, they recommend covid survivors only get one shot. There have been tests done that the first shot increases antibodies a thousand fold and the second shot has virtually no effect. I posted links earlier in this thread.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:49 AM   #169
Give me a forum ...

DW and I received our first Moderna shots Tuesday.

I had no issues, the slightly sore arm for less than a day was no different than what I get after a flu shot. While I did feel a little tired and achy that evening, I think it was more from walking a round of golf just before getting the shot, and doing a little yard work after .

DW had more of a reaction (she does not do well with shots, last fall she got cellulitis after a flu shot) but nothing major. Her arm was sore and warm to the touch for a while. The next day arm was still sore but not as much, and felt normal temperature, she felt tired but that may have been due to it being a dreary, rainy day . She took ibuprofen and her arm felt better.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:51 AM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Yep, there were some... Didn't cut and paste those. The point I was trying to make is that a lot of people in this small sample group (not all) seemed to have a lot more side effects, beyond just a sore arm, with the second shot.

It could also be that those in this "sample group" who did have side effects are more likely to post than those who did not.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:01 AM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
It could also be that those in this "sample group" who did have side effects are more likely to post than those who did not.
Maybe.... Maybe not.... It's certainly not a scientific study. Just interesting to me and consistent what I've been reading elsewhere.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:20 AM   #172

Here are needle size guidelines for adults. You may want to inquire about the size before you get a vaccine. Note that the recommended needle length could vary by 1/2" for the same person!

Excerpt from Vaccine Administration: Needle Gauge and Length

Quote:
Adults, 19 years and older: 22–25-gauge - Deltoid muscle of arm ³,⁵
• 130 lbs (60 kg) or less: 1 inch (25 mm⁴) - Deltoid muscle of arm ³,⁵
• 130–152 lbs (60–70 kg): 1 inch (25 mm) - Deltoid muscle of arm ³,⁵
• Men, 152–260 lbs (70–118 kg): 1–1.5 inches (25–38 mm) - Deltoid muscle of arm ³,⁵
• Women, 152–200 lbs (70–90 kg): 1–1.5 inches (25–38 mm) - Deltoid muscle of arm ³,⁵
• Men, 260 lbs (118 kg) or more: 1.5 inches (38 mm) - Deltoid muscle of arm ³,⁵
• Women, 200 lbs (90 kg) or more: 1.5 inches (38 mm) - Deltoid muscle of arm ³,⁵

³ Preferred site
⁴ Some experts recommend a 5/8-inch needle for men and women weighing less than 60 kg, if used, skin must be stretched tightly and subcutaneous tissues must not be bunched.
⁵ The vastus lateralis muscle in the anterolateral thigh can also be used. Most adolescents and adults will require a 1- to 1.5-inch (25–38 mm) needle to ensure intramuscular administration.
The above is general needle size guidance. For information specific to Covid-19, there's this document which includes a table titled Ancillary Supply Administration Kit: Standard Syringe (Centrally Distributed). The adult kit includes 85 needles (22-25G x 1”) and 20 needles (22-25G x 1.5”). So, if they run out of 1" needles and you're in the weight range where a 1.5-inch needle is acceptable, that's 50% more tissue damage for you!
Old 03-26-2021, 08:25 AM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Had my first Pfizer shot 15 hours ago; minor discomfort around midnight last night, pretty much all gone now.
Good for you! Canada has been extremely slow at this, but I'm great to hear that you got your shot. (I hope to get vaccinated by the end of May...)
Old 03-26-2021, 08:31 AM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
Anybody here who has had covid AND gotten both shots? I have had covid and one shot. I'm thinking of not getting the second.
I heard just yesterday that people who had COVID may only need one shot, but a formal report (study results) hasn't come out yet.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:35 AM   #175
Recycles dryer sheets

86 year old mother claimed to have zero side effects from first shot. Claimed zero side effects for the second, but boy does she feel bad this week. Totally wiped out. Maybe the shot mom? My DW both had our first shot Wednesday and both had very sore arms which is mostly gone this morning. All three of us had Pfiezer vaccinations.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:27 AM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I heard just yesterday that people who had COVID may only need one shot, but a formal report (study results) hasn't come out yet.
Heard the same and that's what they're doing in France and Spain
Old 03-26-2021, 10:52 AM   #177
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Please get them both, that is what is recommended. But covid survivors tend to have more side effects with the first shot, less with the 2nd.

DH and I got Pfizer #1 today. He says his arm is sore. I cannot tell any difference between my jab arm and the other.
thats good to know (about less trouble with second). I got shot yesterday and felt fine all day and night but this morning felt fluish for about 4 hours...now feel ok.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:11 PM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Timing is weird on the Moderna. DH's brother got shot number two on a Thursday morning he sent a text Saturday PM. I feel great and my arm didn't hurt. Sunday PM he got a headache, chills and slight fever...

I felt normal the day of, woke up next day with slight headache that got worse all day long ...by bedtime felt real tired but headache was gone.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:40 AM   #179
Recycles dryer sheets

I had second Moderna Wednesday afternoon at 3pm. That was 28 days after the first one in February. After the first I was fine until 12 hours later when I woke with fever and pain from inflammation in arm. Took an Advil and was fine in an hour. No other problem at all but I did plan then to clear my schedule for the second one and I am glad I did.

After the second one I even felt tired driving home from the site but did try to have plenty of liquids and protein and veg for dinner and went to bed early. The next morning I woke up feeling like the flu was coming on but no fever, much like I did when I had COVID in November. I stayed in bed except to feed and take out the dog and stay hydrated myself. By the next morning I was completely back to normal except for a headache which seemed like sinus from sleeping so much.

From reading all the posts here it seems the side effects are as varied as the disease itself.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:03 PM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
My wife and I both had the 1st shot of Moderna vaccine. I would not feel anything unless I squeezed the arm that received the shot. My wife complained of a bit of soreness. We both felt nothing after 48 hours. Still waiting to get the 2nd shot.

Most people in my family had the same observations as above, either with Moderna or Pfizer vaccine.

My sister-in-law and her husband were the only ones we know with severe reactions with Moderna vaccine. They were OK with the 1st shot, but the husband fell sick with the 2nd shot, and was in bed with flu-like symptoms, from what I heard. My SIL had a severely sore arm that she said she could not lift, and was not able to prepare meals. They both recovered after a week.

The scariest thing I heard was from a friend of my wife. Her aunt in the 80s took Moderna 1st shot at a hospital. While waiting the 15 minutes for observation, she collapsed and died at the hospital. My 1st thought was that it was an anaphylactic reaction, because her family claimed that she was healthy with no existing conditions. However, it was later ruled a heart attack.

We both had the 2nd Moderna shot yesterday. The arm soreness was worse this time. I could not sleep on that arm, and did not have a good night sleep. Spent most of today feeling fatigue. No fever, but a bit of body ache, and a slight headache. Also a digestive distress, but that may or may not be related to the vaccine.

Overall, the effects are worse with the 2nd shot for me, while for my wife it was about the same.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Closed Thread