Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 07:06 AM   #261
Full time employment: Posting here.

Had my 2nd Pfizer yesterday, and my arm was not even sore. This morning, my shoulder is quite sore, my whole arm is tingling, my back aches, and I have a slight headache. If this is as much as I get, then it is not that big of a deal.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2021, 09:24 PM   #262
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have had the 2 Moderna vaxes with side effects (nasty vertigo was one) and today got the 10 year tetanus booster and the Pneumovax 23. My immune system doesn't know what's going on . Chills and aches. Going to bed after I finish my evening tea . Hoping it's also a one day thing. I think I'll wait a couple of months before I get the Shingrix vax.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:15 AM   #263
Recycles dryer sheets

Tomorrow will mark the 2 week period after my second Pfizer vaccine. I had no reactions to #1 nor #2 except for a little soreness in the arm. My husband had the same experience. Friends reported naps and long hours of good sleep, which I was hoping for ... but alas, it wasn't meant to be for me.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:34 AM   #264
Recycles dryer sheets

Received the second Pfizer jab yesterday. Sore arm just like the first time. Woke me up last night. I felt fairly poorly two days after the first jab, but that passed after just one day. I have a tee time this afternoon with a great excuse all lined up for any poor shots!
Old 04-15-2021, 08:37 AM   #265
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Moderna vaccine and wow, I guess my immune system is firing up because my whole body aches.

At least those fellas in the trenches will be ready when Mr. Covid comes whistling along. The troops have definitely been rallied.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:14 AM   #266

I had fever and aches for about 36 hours after my second Moderna shot, starting about 18 hours in. 12 hours after the fever broke, my energy level returned to normal. I attribute the body aches to the fever itself.

I slept a lot and let the fever run its course. DS got Pfizer vaccine, as did DH. They had no side effects.

I don’t mind my robust immune response. Apparently more women report side effects.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:34 AM   #267
Give me a forum ...

Well after 2 days, my brother has no side effects from his first shot of Moderna; not even a sore arm.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:13 AM   #268
Recycles dryer sheets

I had zero side effects after my first pfizer shot, not even a sore arm.
My second one was a disaster for 36 hours. 103 fever, bad back pain, headache and fatigue. It was no picnic, but I would do it again in a heartbeat to be protected from covid.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:26 AM   #269

It's been 48 hours after the 2nd Pfizer jab for me. My arm is less sore than the first time and no other side effects I have noticed. DW get the 2nd Moderna jab the middle of next week.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:05 AM   #270
Recycles dryer sheets

Had the second Moderna shot on Tuesday afternoon. Sore arm that night and fever, fatigue and aching skin by noon on Wednesday - over in about 12 hours. Covid arm returned on Thursday with redness around the injection site and sore lymph nodes today.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:06 AM   #271

In the months after the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines arrived, I have been thinking of a hypothesis. Before anyone hammers at me, remember the definition of "hypothesis".
Here it is... Covid-19 may be the first appearance of a "Catalyst Virus" (I made up the moniker). In a nutshell, IF it turns out that the damage done to the body from a Covid-19 infection is a result of an immunological system overreaction to the virus, in effect, the virus does not directly damage/kill, but a person's particular body's overreaction to the virus does. With this, "Immunological System" should not be looked at as some body-global effect, as in "I have a good Immunological System". Instead, immune system on a per-body basis would be much more nuanced, can not make global statements about a particular body.

If this hypothesis eventually proves to be true, can a predictor be derived via who had more reaction to a Covid-19 vaccine? Instead of a common positive "If I have a reaction to the vaccine, that's ok, I must have a robust immune system" thinking, could it be the reverse? Could those, like DW and I, who had zero effects from the Pfizer vaccine doses, have been the least likely to have ended up in a hospital on a ventilator, or deceased? And those who had relatively strong reaction(s) from a Covid-19 vaccine have been the most likely to be a statistic, if they had not been vaccinated?

It seems it would be a tough hypothesis to test! If an individual specitivity of sectors of immune system are assumed (and I don't know how "sectors" are defined, probably something different than now), then it would seem that clones would be needed, one to get the vaccine, the other, to not!

Remember, it's a hypothesis.

EDIT: I would have preferred to start a new topic with this post, but figured it would be just merged into an existing Covid-19 topic anyway, so I might as well pick one.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:19 AM   #272

Got my second Moderna shot yesterday. Sore at injection site in evening. Then in bed overnight I was very chilled and aching. To the point I put a t-shirt on and extra blanket. Didn't sleep much at all. Basically feels like flu. First shot was no more than slightly tender arm. Second shot had big reactions. Feeling little better now 18 hours after shot. This reaction was not expected, kicking my ass in the short term.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Old 04-16-2021, 07:54 AM   #273
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
In the months after the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines arrived, I have been thinking of a hypothesis. Before anyone hammers at me, remember the definition of "hypothesis".
Here it is... Covid-19 may be the first appearance of a "Catalyst Virus" (I made up the moniker). In a nutshell, IF it turns out that the damage done to the body from a Covid-19 infection is a result of an immunological system overreaction to the virus, in effect, the virus does not directly damage/kill, but a person's particular body's overreaction to the virus does. With this, "Immunological System" should not be looked at as some body-global effect, as in "I have a good Immunological System". Instead, immune system on a per-body basis would be much more nuanced, can not make global statements about a particular body.

If this hypothesis eventually proves to be true, can a predictor be derived via who had more reaction to a Covid-19 vaccine? Instead of a common positive "If I have a reaction to the vaccine, that's ok, I must have a robust immune system" thinking, could it be the reverse? Could those, like DW and I, who had zero effects from the Pfizer vaccine doses, have been the least likely to have ended up in a hospital on a ventilator, or deceased? And those who had relatively strong reaction(s) from a Covid-19 vaccine have been the most likely to be a statistic, if they had not been vaccinated?

It seems it would be a tough hypothesis to test! If an individual specitivity of sectors of immune system are assumed (and I don't know how "sectors" are defined, probably something different than now), then it would seem that clones would be needed, one to get the vaccine, the other, to not!

Remember, it's a hypothesis.

EDIT: I would have preferred to start a new topic with this post, but figured it would be just merged into an existing Covid-19 topic anyway, so I might as well pick one.
Clever idea. I'll bet that there will be enough breakthrough of the virus and its variants that this could still be tested if the medical community thought it had validity.

I had zero reaction to either shot (Pfizer), DW's arm was super sore after both shots and she a low fever and headache from the 2nd one (Moderna).
Old 04-16-2021, 08:00 AM   #274
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Got my second Moderna shot yesterday. Sore at injection site in evening. Then in bed overnight I was very chilled and aching. To the point I put a t-shirt on and extra blanket. Didn't sleep much at all. Basically feels like flu. First shot was no more than slightly tender arm. Second shot had big reactions. Feeling little better now 18 hours after shot. This reaction was not expected, kicking my ass in the short term.
My second shot has been delayed "twice" so far due to shortages...Maybe I should take that as a message from above especially since I had unpleasant reactions to the first shot..
Old 04-16-2021, 08:34 AM   #275
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
I
I'll challenge your hypothesis on one well known point:
Overall, vaccine reactions in the over 65 population are less common. Overall, this population has suffered the greatest mortality from the actual virus.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:34 AM   #276
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I'll challenge your hypothesis on one well known point:
Overall, vaccine reactions in the over 65 population are less common. Overall, this population has suffered the greatest mortality from the actual virus.
I do believe my reaction may have been more severe because I am younger than 65. (I just turned 52) It would make sense to me that my immune response would be more robust than an older persons.

Those who I know who had more of a reaction have been younger. My husband is 59, he had a sore arm with a low grade fever and fatigue. We did both feel 100% normal again after around 32 hours. It was a wild ride.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:55 PM   #277
Give me a forum ...

Here's one side effect. I've experienced it myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Senior side effects.jpg (593.4 KB, 30 views)

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:01 PM   #278
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Here's one side effect. I've experienced it myself.
Aww--sweet
Old 04-22-2021, 07:11 PM   #279
Give me a forum ...

Day after my 2nd Pfizer shot today - pretty minor. Arm was sore for half the day. Very slight headache off and on. I wasn’t nearly as fatigued as DH was after his. Did some chores and a little exercise but otherwise took it pretty easy.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:11 PM   #280
Give me a forum ...

More good news on the efficacy of the vaccines:

https://www.theinsight.org/p/facts-a...-a-puzzle-not?
Quote:
The CDC study also notes an efficacy calculation: “Vaccine was 86.5% protective against symptomatic illness among residents and 87.1% protective among HCP.”
A nursing home full of old folks with weaker immune systems, clustered together for easy spread of the virus, and with many co-morbidities, still sees vaccine effectiveness of well over 80%. Now that is good news.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Closed Thread