Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Good News--No Bad Side effects to Covid Vaccine
Old 02-01-2021, 08:07 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good News--No Bad Side effects to Covid Vaccine

I have done an informal survey about side effects from the Covid vaccine among family and friends. I and about 20 of my family/friends have had the Covid vaccine. Five have had 2 shots, 15 of us have had one shot so far. It is a mixture of Moderna and Pfizer. Most are in their 70s but I also talked to my mother age 90 and 4 of her friends of similar age who have had 2 shots.

None of us have had any bad side effects from the vaccines. From my informal survey of about 20 people these are the side effects reported:

1. Over half of us had a sore arm (me included) that last a day or so

2. Four people felt tired for a couple of days

3. One person was nauseated

4. One person ran a temperature around 100 for 12 hours

5. One person (my mother) had a flair up of rosacea (but I think it could have been from the stress of getting the shot--stress does that to her)

Overall, no or very mild side effects from 20 people. Very good news.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2021, 09:25 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

To add to your list my wife and I received our first shot of Moderna and had nothing more that a sore spot on our arms that were not much more than what you would feel from a bruise. Only a mild ache if we pushed on it.
I hope there will be a similar results after the second shot in a couple of weeks.

Cheers!
Old 02-01-2021, 10:17 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

No bad side effects for me after the 1st shot either.

I am a morning person but, I slept in the next morning (unusual for me, but not unheard of), and my energy level felt somewhat depleted. I also had a vague soreness in my muscles which subsided quickly. IOW, no big deal.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:30 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

had #1 Pfizer, no serious side effects
Did have mild headache for two days, and felt very cold for about 3-4, especially my lower legs, bones ached from feeling chillingly cold.
No fever, no sore arm, no redness at injection site.
#2 due next week, hopefully no worse.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:13 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

My wife had just a sore arm after the 1st Moderna shot, but a dull headache and fever for a day after the second. She compared notes with other co-workers and they all reported similar symptoms.

My radiologist friend has said he can see brain damage in COVID patients in addition to lung damage, so this beast is no joke. Since then I've read articles in the media saying much the same thing.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:43 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exchme View Post
My radiologist friend has said he can see brain damage in COVID patients in addition to lung damage, so this beast is no joke. Since then I've read articles in the media saying much the same thing.
I had it in november, with bilateral pneumonia, and my breathing still doesn't feel quite the same. My lungs feel 'smaller', less capacity. Can't take as deep breath as I used to, although i am not short of breath and go for fast walks with weights with no problem.

I need to get another xray one of these days...physical scheduleld for march 5th, will probably get xray then.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:15 PM   #7

Nice to know about your informal survey of vaccine side effects-lack thereof.

As vaccinations with the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines continue apace, I keep an ear to the ground for serious side effects. Have been pleased that no reports of serious magnitude effects seem to be presenting. I look forward to the vaccine becoming available for age 75 and older in my state and will schedule as soon as possible when they do.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:18 PM   #8

I had my first Pfizer shot last week. I had a very sore arm for about 18 hours (it didn't start until 8 hours after the shot).

I slept 11 hours the first night - very unusual. Other than those two things I had no effects.

Based on everything I've read so far, it is common to have more side effects with the second shot. If it happens that's fine - it just means it's working!
Old 02-01-2021, 02:20 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
Nice to know about your informal survey of vaccine side effects-lack thereof.

As vaccinations with the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines continue apace, I keep an ear to the ground for serious side effects. Have been pleased that no reports of serious magnitude effects seem to be presenting. I look forward to the vaccine becoming available for age 75 and older in my state and will schedule as soon as possible when they do.
The really good news is that in the nursing home residents in my mother's CCRC had their second shot of Moderna last week--no bad side effects for them either. And even better yet-- no new Covid cases--they had been having several new cases per week. No new cases in 3 weeks now in the nursing home. That is REALLY good news. The vaccine appears to be working in the nursing home and no bad side effects.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:25 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyr View Post
I had it in november, with bilateral pneumonia, and my breathing still doesn't feel quite the same. My lungs feel 'smaller', less capacity. Can't take as deep breath as I used to, although i am not short of breath and go for fast walks with weights with no problem.

I need to get another xray one of these days...physical scheduleld for march 5th, will probably get xray then.
Bobby--I wonder if there are some lung exercises your doctor can prescribe to help with lung capacity. Do you plan to get the vaccine? I keep wondering if the vaccine will help people with long term Covid problems. I kept having Shingles over and over but after I got the Shingrix vaccine, no more Shingles.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:28 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
The really good news is that in the nursing home residents in my mother's CCRC had their second shot of Moderna last week--no bad side effects for them either. And even better yet-- no new Covid cases--they had been having several new cases per week. No new cases in 3 weeks now in the nursing home. That is REALLY good news. The vaccine appears to be working in the nursing home and no bad side effects.
That is very good news. I'm going in for shot 1 on Weds. Friend's DM is 10 minutes behind me and is worried that she's going to pass out.

My DW is coming with me in case she has to drive friend's DM or me (or both) home.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:30 PM   #12

Quote:
That is really good news!
Old 02-01-2021, 02:34 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
That is very good news. I'm going in for shot 1 on Weds. Friend's DM is 10 minutes behind me and is worried that she's going to pass out.

My DW is coming with me in case she has to drive friend's DM or me (or both) home.
Why does she think she will pass out? My 90 year old mother told me she did not feel a thing when she got the shots.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:02 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Why does she think she will pass out? My 90 year old mother told me she did not feel a thing when she got the shots.
She's paranoid about shots, etc. I don't expect a problem.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:06 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

So for those of you who have already received the shot(s), does this change your thinking about now being more comfortable doing things that you wouldn't do before in Covid?
One example could be flying on a plane, etc.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:55 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I guy I know who is a very healthy 50 year old said he had significant body aches after the first shot that required him to take pain killers to make it thru his 12 hour shift as an RN. After the second shot he had a upset stomach bad enough for him to have to leave work early but was fine for the next days shift.

My Dad had the first shot last week and he got lightheaded but it went away within minutes. Otherwise just a sore arm which everyone I know has reported.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
So for those of you who have already received the shot(s), does this change your thinking about now being more comfortable doing things that you wouldn't do before in Covid?
That's what I am wondering also.

I myself--after I get the shots--plan to not isolate myself from humanity so much.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:07 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Bobby--I wonder if there are some lung exercises your doctor can prescribe to help with lung capacity. Do you plan to get the vaccine? I keep wondering if the vaccine will help people with long term Covid problems. I kept having Shingles over and over but after I got the Shingrix vaccine, no more Shingles.
Thanks for the follow up!

I have been working the spirometer daily which helps for sure. I read a book called 'Breath' that was very interesting and I am trying to slow my breathing down whenever I think to (and inhale through nose).

I am not in a hurry for covid vaccine, happy to relax on that since I have antibodies (also wearing masks and staying home)

I am probably gonna get pneumococcal vaccine at some point as well.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:17 PM   #19
gone traveling

After my first Moderna shot I felt a very sore arm and fatigued for two days.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:19 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
There is a whole nother thread for this.
https://www.early-retirement.org/for...or-107641.html