Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Grandkids school sporting events...do you go?
Old 08-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Grandkids school sporting events...do you go?

My 12yr old grandson has a football game coming up in a few days and I am on the fence if I should go. It is a couple hours away in a larger school district and they are practicing the 6ft social distant rule and masks required. If I am away from the crowd I feel I'm pretty safe I have more concern with the hugs before and after the game. Don't see my kids on a daily basis so it would be hard not to make a little physical contact.
I see the kids back in school as an experiment and would like to see the results after a few weeks. Just wondering if other grandparents struggle with attending sporting events this early is the season. Thanks
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2020, 11:55 AM   #2

I, personally, would go... but keep distance and masked. (Avoid hugging/contact.) Explain ahead of time that contact will be limited to air kisses from 6 feet away.

That's what I would do.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:03 PM   #3

Depending on your age, county stats, personal health risks, and the distance, it's a big ask. I can't imagine asking my parents - in their 70's - to participate in anything that involves being in a group setting.

What sort of invite did you receive - was it "we totally understand if you want to be cautious and don't expect you to come so far" or "billy will be upset if you don't come" - because, for me, if the latter, I'd be more inclined to skip and say maybe we'll come a bit later in the season.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:46 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is there any type of streaming available for this event? Maybe live or even a tape delay on the school website. That would be a good compromise.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:49 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I personally would go, mask and social distance. Sadly, we have quit hugging in my family.....and gotten used to it. That was the worst thing about this virus, I was scared to see my kids/grandkids for about a month, but decided that was not going to happen any more.
Old 08-26-2020, 01:08 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I would not go but I would explain the reasons a 12YO grandson. That is old enough to understand.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:53 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Could your son/daughter film the game and send it to you? Maybe you could do a zoom/facetime with your grandson before or after the game?
Old 08-26-2020, 03:05 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Personally, I would not feel safe going in person. Since you do, though, I would talk with my child (the grandson's parent) and get them to explain that Grandpa is coming to see grandson play, but no hugging allowed. As OldShooter points out, 12 is plenty old enough to understand why. The kids have heard all about social distancing by now.

The two of you can mime bear hugs, growls, etc. from a distance.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:03 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I like the replies and appreciate them. May skip the first game and have daughter watch if most everyone is watching the social distant rules of 6ft and not crowding at the gate. Don't want to miss these opportunities! Sure i will receive a few video clips and pic. Thanks again.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I, personally, would go... but keep distance and masked. (Avoid hugging/contact.) Explain ahead of time that contact will be limited to air kisses from 6 feet away.

That's what I would do.
+1

For our little grandkids, grandma has been reading Dr Seuss books and I record them and send the video where they can watch them as many times as they want. They really love that.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve s View Post
I like the replies and appreciate them. May skip the first game and have daughter watch if most everyone is watching the social distant rules of 6ft and not crowding at the gate.
This sounds like a very good plan. Places differ a lot on following rules regarding COVID, and your daughter can check that for you.

This is speculative on my part, but it may also be a bit windier into the fall and help scatter any concentration of droplets containing the virus.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:05 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I don't think I would go, but it is a tough decision indeed.
Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:27 PM   #13

For me, if it was outdoor sports like soccer or baseball, I would go, bring my own folding chair and sit away from the bleachers. If it was indoor like basketball, probably not.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Old 08-26-2020, 07:08 PM   #14

I'd go in a New York minute. My grandkids and I have only so much time together and what a better time to spend, than watching him play a sport he/she wants to play. It's outdoors, even.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:14 PM   #15
gone traveling

We're going to GD's HS volleyball match tomorrow eve - their 1st day of school (in person). We'll stay distant & high ceiling, so no worry.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
For me, if it was outdoor sports like soccer or baseball, I would go, bring my own folding chair and sit away from the bleachers. If it was indoor like basketball, probably not.
Exactly this. Don't risk being put into a dangerous situation due to other people's dismissal or misunderstanding of risk. Or show up 20 minutes after the game starts, and see if there is seating far away and upwind from everyone else. And as others have said, 12 is old enough for them to understand that older people are at much greater risk, so when you do see them, you will have to stay at least 6' away from them at all times (especially if they're still participating in group sports).
Old 08-27-2020, 08:03 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would go. My DGD attends a private Christian school & attended a cheerleader summer camp. On the last evening of the camp they had an event in the football stadium, social distancing was practiced and we were masked. As she has grown we have always been involved in attending her events and will continue to as long as we are physically able. My DD -her mother,never had that in her life,because of family and she has expressed to us that she wishes she would have had that. In my childhood If not for my grandmother I would have had no one. To me it is important for us to be involved and be a good example.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:09 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

My 7 y.o. grandson has opted out of all fall sports and activities. If his parents did have him participate, I would go, and keep a safe distance, wear a mask, maybe even stay in the car for outdoor sports. When I do see him, we all wear masks, it’s always outside, no hugs, keep at least 6 feet apart, there’s lots of hand washing/sanitizer before/after.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:02 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

If you want to do the 2 hour drive and go, then go.
things you can do to stay safer: The game is outside, you can wear a mask, you have the ability to keep distance between yourself and others (I probably wouldn't sit in the stands, but bring a camp chair and sit to the side away from others). Stay back from the entrance until the crowd has gone through and you can safely enter away from others.
Take hand sanitizer and wipes in case there is a lack or shortage in the facilities.
Let your family know there will be no physical hugging for health and safety.
However, if you don't feel safe, then explain to your family why you won't be going.. They should understand. And hopefully film it for you!
Old 08-27-2020, 09:14 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturer View Post
I would go. My DGD attends a private Christian school & attended a cheerleader summer camp. On the last evening of the camp they had an event in the football stadium, social distancing was practiced and we were masked. As she has grown we have always been involved in attending her events and will continue to as long as we are physically able. My DD -her mother,never had that in her life,because of family and she has expressed to us that she wishes she would have had that. In my childhood If not for my grandmother I would have had no one. To me it is important for us to be involved and be a good example.
Fair enough but missing a football game because of valid covid concerns does not mean that a grandparent is not involved or a good example. So don't put that pressure on other grandparents.
Closed Thread