Grocery Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather than insert quote from previous comments I'll just say this: First, DW and I get our food almost exclusively, now, from delivery. We unpack everything outside the house, and wipe down everything with alcohol wipes, and wash all of the fruit using soapy water. 2+ weeks ago we went into a supermarket wearing gloves and masks (effective or not, it made me feel better doing so).
I think it's an erroneous argument to say the protective measures aren't good enough. Rather, they improve the odds. I've been practicing these, and other, protective measures for years with that same attitude of improving the odds.

We did our weekly shop today at one of the main supermarkets in town. Very well organized, line outside moved very quickly, a police officer controlling who went in and an employee spraying and wiping down the carts before you collected one. Inside was well stocked and few enough folks to keep your distance. Lots of checkouts open but a single controlled line for folks lining up to leave.

As I type this I look out my window to see a lady walking by with a grocery bag of goods in each hand and a 12 pack of toilet rolls tucked under her arm. Life goes on.

OP here - Thanks everyone for your responses so far. Responses seem to be pretty varied across the main options:

- go to the grocery store and shop as normal (while taking precautions)
- pre-order and pick up at the grocery store
- have groceries delivered.

Probably should have made this thread a poll. :confused:

For us, we needed a bunch of groceries for upcoming meals this week, and to have other stuff on hand/extra. So I went to our local Safeway last night about 45 minutes before closing. Store was nearly empty of people, so it was easy to keep my distance. Inventory was near normal on most items, except for the usual bareness in the pasta/rice section. Wore nitrile gloves while shopping and took them off after loading my car. Kept the produce in a cooler overnight in the garage, wiped down the meat packages, and left the cans/boxed stuff in the garage overnight to 'quarantine'.

Never thought some much about getting groceries! Wondering whether the infrastructure for pickup and delivery will remain after the virus, or will we resort back to pre-virus shopping?

OP here - Thanks everyone for your responses so far. Responses seem to be pretty varied across the main options:

- go to the grocery store and shop as normal (while taking precautions)
- pre-order and pick up at the grocery store
- have groceries delivered.

Probably should have made this thread a poll. :confused:

For us, we needed a bunch of groceries for upcoming meals this week, and to have other stuff on hand/extra. So I went to our local Safeway last night about 45 minutes before closing. Store was nearly empty of people, so it was easy to keep my distance. Inventory was near normal on most items, except for the usual bareness in the pasta/rice section. Wore nitrile gloves while shopping and took them off after loading my car. Kept the produce in a cooler overnight in the garage, wiped down the meat packages, and left the cans/boxed stuff in the garage overnight to 'quarantine'.

Never thought some much about getting groceries! Wondering whether the infrastructure for pickup and delivery will remain after the virus, or will we resort back to pre-virus shopping?

I leave the canned and boxed goods quarantined for 3 days, as some can labels are shiny, so not as porous as paper.
But we have no rush for that food, as I tend to buy in advance.

I built my grocery list for Walmart over the past 2 days.
It takes a lot of time as there is a lot of choice, and I kept thinking here is another item to add.
So tonight after midnight, I checked and there was lots of slots for 2 days away, and I checked out. .

1. So build your list in the day.
  2. then look right after midnight to pick a time slot
  3. and immediately checkout.

4. Don't worry about forgetting something you can edit your order until the cutoff window I had a 10AM pickup and my window closed at around 1AM.

5. Pay attention to the sub or no sub option. You can check no subs at all, no subs on certain items or you are OK will substitutions on all items.

This is something different than we've been hearing:

The Washington State Department of Health says there is no need to disinfect your groceries.

We have no evidence to suggest that COVID-19 is spreading through food at all. Not through take-out orders, groceries, or produce. When you return home from the grocery store, please thoroughly wash your hands, but there is no reason to try to disinfect your groceries. And please, don’t put disinfecting chemicals like household cleaners on the food you’re going to eat.

I didn't see anything specifically referring to groceries on the CDC website. So is this one of those "Do you feel lucky, punk?" situations or is all the discussion we've been having about cleaning and isolating food before bringing it in the house an overreaction?

I went to the store today. There are still no 'reported' cases in our area. (county - 1). I know it does not mean they are not there, just not tested. I bought a lot!. No TP purchased! Mostly things we usually buy. We live 30 miles from the store and usually go every two weeks. I figure it is only going to get worse so I am trying for once a month.. While I bought a lot, it was not a lot on any one item. i.e one pound of flour not 10! The store was reasonably stocked, and people were well mannered.

This is something different than we've been hearing:

The Washington State Department of Health says there is no need to disinfect your groceries.

I didn't see anything specifically referring to groceries on the CDC website. So is this one of those "Do you feel lucky, punk?" situations or is all the discussion we've been having about cleaning and isolating food before bringing it in the house an overreaction?

It's like those earlier statement issued
"We have no evidence of transmission of Covid-19 by asymptomatic individuals" :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Such a Wishy washy wording "We have no evidence.... of ... "

That health dept. also has no evidence you cannot get covid-19 from groceries..

Even if they say there is no need to tip down groceries, I will continue doing it. After all, even having someone else pick my groceries out for me is new. I never thought I would have someone else shop for me. So that alone, is a good reason to wipe things down.

It's like those earlier statement issued
"We have no evidence of transmission of Covid-19 by asymptomatic individuals" :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Such a Wishy washy wording "We have no evidence.... of ... "

That health dept. also has no evidence you cannot get covid-19 from groceries..

+1 I agree. My guess that that saying "We have no evidence of...", is their way of saying "We haven't conducted any studies whatsoever, so we are in the dark about this: we don't know". I'll keep cleaning my groceries for the time being.

+1 I agree. My guess that that saying "We have no evidence of...", is their way of saying "We haven't conducted any studies whatsoever, so we are in the dark about this: we don't know". I'll keep cleaning my groceries for the time being.

+1. This is the case of "innocent until proven guilty" but I'll go with "suspect until proven innocent."

We have been using grocery pick up for most things but DH had to go to Walmart Sunday for something else. I told him to grab me some vegetable plants. I know he hates chores like this. He wanted to know specifically what I wanted. Really I just wanted to plant something in my newly weeded garden. Apparently everyone else had the same idea. He brought whatever raggedy plants were left on the shelf. I was pretty happy about it.

It's like the entire USA has turned into bakers and gardeners, next we will all be raising chickens and pigs in the backyard ;)

I'm still trying to get flour, and thinking about resurrecting my vegetable garden I gave up on due to too much travel. :blush:

Never had a problem shooting a pig in the day time. They are curious. Once the new thing, that gun, is introduced, usually in a crouching position with the gun on my shoulder ready to fire, the pig will get curious and wander over. The pig will inspect the gun, eventually inspecting the barrel end. Then boom! The second pig is the tough one. He's seen what just happened and there's no way he's making that mistake. However, piggy 2 gets curious about what exactly happened to piggy one and wanders over to inspect Piggy 1. Piggy 2 pauses long enough inspecting for another boom! and it's all over.

2 piggys will fill my freezer and enough meat to run the smoker once meat is cured.

Never had a problem shooting a pig in the day time. They are curious. Once the new thing, that gun, is introduced, usually in a crouching position with the gun on my shoulder ready to fire, the pig will get curious and wander over. The pig will inspect the gun, eventually inspecting the barrel end. Then boom! The second pig is the tough one. He's seen what just happened and there's no way he's making that mistake. However, piggy 2 gets curious about what exactly happened to piggy one and wanders over to inspect Piggy 1. Piggy 2 pauses long enough inspecting for another boom! and it's all over.

2 piggys will fill my freezer and enough meat to run the smoker once meat is cured.

Pretty sure it doesn't work that way with feral pigs/wild boar.

Pretty sure it doesn't work that way with feral pigs/wild boar.
No, but neither would shooting feral/wild pigs at night in their sleep. I gotta think the game laws don't allow for that at least.

Last edited:
No, but neither would shooting feral/wild pigs at night in their sleep. I gotta think the game laws don't allow for that at least.

Hahahaha! These aren't considered game animals, but invasive pests. In Texas it is legal to shoot them from a hot air balloon (at night, if you can see them).

Hahahaha! These aren't considered game animals, but invasive pests. In Texas it is legal to shoot them from a hot air balloon (at night, if you can see them).

Oh... shooting high powered rifles at night at pigs is legal in Texas. That's a scary thought...
How does a shooter know what the backdrop is at night? Could be anything out there in the dark.

Oh... shooting high powered rifles at night at pigs is legal in Texas. That's a scary thought...

If you had any idea of the wholesale destruction these things cause, you would not be making such comments.

Hog hunters in Texas often use night vision optics or stationary low powered green or red lights over a bait station. If you are serious about controlling their population on your land, you trap them (hopefully by the sounder) and dispatch them at close range.

If you had any idea of the wholesale destruction these things cause, you would not be making such comments.

Hog hunters in Texas often use night vision optics or stationary low powered green or red lights over a bait station. If you are serious about controlling their population on your land, you trap them (hopefully by the sounder) and dispatch them at close range.

Nope, you are right; I have no idea. Which is why my comment was about raised pigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom