Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 06:18 PM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

I read something from a doctor the other day that eased my fears (somewhat) concerning catching Coronavirus from food brought into our house (we use Walmart Curbside Pick-up and Instacart). It also alleviated some of my concerns about not rigerously sanitizing the groceries we purchase. The doctor said this is a respiratory virus, and as such, it has to come into contact with the respiratory tract to cause an infection. Ingesting it on food won't make you sick, he said. I believe as long as we thoroughly wash our hands after putting groceries away and thoroughly rinse items consumed raw, we should be ok.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2020, 09:46 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateW View Post
I read something from a doctor the other day that eased my fears (somewhat) concerning catching Coronavirus from food brought into our house (we use Walmart Curbside Pick-up and Instacart). It also alleviated some of my concerns about not rigerously sanitizing the groceries we purchase. The doctor said this is a respiratory virus, and as such, it has to come into contact with the respiratory tract to cause an infection. Ingesting it on food won't make you sick, he said. I believe as long as we thoroughly wash our hands after putting groceries away and thoroughly rinse items consumed raw, we should be ok.
I like to spray my groceries with a diluted bleach solution and wipe them, and then put them away. So they are clean going into the fridge/freezer.

I think if I just put away food in the fridge/freezer, and then take it out a day or two later I'll get the virus off the food/milk container/yogurt container, and touch my face or forget to wash my hands after taking each thing out of the fridge/freezer.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:52 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I like to spray my groceries with a diluted bleach solution and wipe them, and then put them away. So they are clean going into the fridge/freezer.

I think if I just put away food in the fridge/freezer, and then take it out a day or two later I'll get the virus off the food/milk container/yogurt container, and touch my face or forget to wash my hands after taking each thing out of the fridge/freezer.
Same idea, but a different method. I wipe down all the packaging you mention with Lysol wipes.
One Expert Claims Sanitizing Food and Packages is Unnecessary
Old 04-01-2020, 09:36 AM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

One Expert Claims Sanitizing Food and Packages is Unnecessary

Here is the link to the article: https://www.sciencealert.com/food-sa...e-pandemic/amp

"The biggest risk of infection is not contaminated food, but going to the store and being around other people."
PickUp Shopping
Old 04-03-2020, 03:51 PM   #125
Confused about dryer sheets

PickUp Shopping

I walk with a cane and have been using pickup/curbside at Sam's Club, Walmart, Kroger's. The only one I'm have a problem with is Krogers which is forcing pickup < free > to wait 6 days or go with delivery < $9.95 > next day !! Walmart limits some items to 2 - so I have to reorder every couple of days !! Sam's is about the best so far...
Old 04-03-2020, 03:52 PM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

We just got our first case of Covid-19 in our little Ozarks town this week. The DH and I went to the store today. I prefer to go in because I need the steps, but I'm thinking this may be our last trip for a while. We have a full fridge & pantry and need to use what we have.

#2 Daughter, who lives with us, works at Big Lots, which classes her as an essential worker because they offer groceries, paper goods, and cleaning supplies. She's wearing a homemade mask to work now and we've developed an entry into the house protocol that involves stripping in the laundry & putting everything into the washer, streaking to a bathroom (while the rest of the household retreats to another part of the house) and an immediate shower, followed by starting up the washer. I use my precious stash of clorox wipes to clean door knobs, drawer pulls, and fridge handles after that.

I'm 65 with a chronic lung condition, so I'm taking this seriously.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:35 PM   #127
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We had enough basic food supplies for a month when this hit, but have been filling in our supplies ordering on-line and also doing the curbside pickup for some items like at total wine. But when we run out of butter and milk we probably will either start with instacart for sprouts or join prime for whole foods pickup (they don't deliver to my area). In the meantime we are ordering on-line for May and June supply time-frame. A tip: QVC actually has some food and wine if you can't find anything else.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Old 04-03-2020, 04:59 PM   #128

I go to the store alone now. Used to go about every other day. I’m down to about 1-2 times a week. I’ve learned that to keep the salad fresh that long, I have to buy the smaller size and not open it until we are ready to eat it. So that means about 4 small bags of salad a week, instead of 1-2 large ones. Before, I bought one large one and then in a couple days when it was gone or starting to go brown, go get more. Now, I’ll get 3-4 small bags, plus the pre-cut broccoli, green beans, etc in the sealed bag, enough for the whole week. The freezer is always full of meat that I pick up when it’s on sale, or from a whole cryovac prime rib that I dry age first and then cut into steaks. As I said in another comment somewhere, we always have about a year worth of paper products stored, so the hoard buying by some was almost comical.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:16 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateW View Post
"The biggest risk of infection is not contaminated food, but going to the store and being around other people."
That makes sense to me.

Perhaps 1-2% of people are infected and either asymptomatic or presymptomatic, so you want to avoid multiple close interactions with individuals. But those 1-2% of people are not going to turn the contents of the entire store into Chernobyl with their occasional coughs and sneezes, or occasionally handling a lemon or a carton of milk that they don't end up buying.

Of course the risk is never zero, but for secondary contagion via random objects in a store it's probably very small indeed.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:37 PM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
I'm doing my usual in-store grocery shopping every 5-7 days or so. I'm trying to give people their distance, but otherwise I'm not doing anything different. I don't wear gloves or masks, and never wipe down the cart or anything. Seems pointless when everything else in the store has been touched. The employees touch everything and see more people each day than I do and so far I have not heard of any increase in cases for grocery store workers.

I'm not taking any additional precautions other than avoiding touching my face and washing my hands well as soon as I get home.
Pretty much the same here. I go into the store for my groceries and into Wal-Mart to pick up my prescription. I do not own a smart phone or even a dumb phone (other than two 1964 rotary phones in our kitchen & office) so ordering through an app is not an option for me. I went out a few times this past week but plan on only making one trip out to the store this next week.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:04 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairMillionaire23 View Post
I do not own a smart phone or even a dumb phone (other than two 1964 rotary phones in our kitchen & office) so ordering through an app is not an option for me.
You don't need a smart phone. Any PC w/internet access should work just fine.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:14 PM   #132
Full time employment: Posting here.

My daughter orders food on-line for my wife and I. She uses Amazon Fresh or Safeway.com which meets 90% of our needs. However, there is 3 to 6 days lag time between ordering and food arrival at our door step. The food is surprising good quality.

For the other 10% of our needs such as ice cream and items not available on-line....I go to Food Max at 6 am in the morning when they first open and there are very few customers are in the store.

I go in and out just to pick up about 10 items to reduce any possible exposure. I wear a mask and gloves since I am elderly and can not afford to get the virus.

The senior only hours are useless since there is much more people shopping during those hours than 6 am in the morning when certain supermarkets first open. If there are too many people inside at a supermarket, I do not go in.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:15 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

I made my last grocery store run for a long time yesterday. We're pretty well stocked up now, and except for fresh produce we should be able to go for at least a month. And as far as fresh produce goes, our vegetable planters are coming along. Got tomatoes turning red, and the lettuce will be ready to start picking in about a week. It will be a while longer for the other plants, but we've got cucumbers as long as my fingers, and more hot peppers than any sane person could eat.

I was masked and gloved when I went, and while the store was fairly crowded (the day after EBT money arrived) for the most part it wasn't too bad. Maybe 20% of the people wore masks, and over half wore gloves. But the part I couldn't understand were the families shopping. Mom, Dad, and 4 or 5 kids of various ages. Why? I don't really understand why even couples have to go, but whole families? And they were the no mask no gloves groups, of course. I avoided aisles where they were.

When I got home I brought everything in from the car, decontaminated the car with Lysol wipes and spray, then wiped down everything non-produce with a clorox solution. The produce got washed in the sink. Put what had to go in the freezer or fridge, and left the rest in the garage to age for awhile. Dumped my clothes in the washer, took a shower, and that was the end of it. Except today my hands still smell like Clorox. I may have been a little over-enthusiastic with the mix.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:03 PM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

Rambler, if after you open the bag of salad and take out what you want to eat and then put a paper towel in the bag before you close it up it will stay good longer. I kind of wrap the paper towel down both sides of the salad and I put in a new paper towel every day.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:10 PM   #135

I normally shop at Hy-vee or Cub, but because of the virus, they close at 8 PM now. Because of that, I've adopted a nearby Kwik-Trip as my grocery store. There's 7 of these in my town, & this one is only about 6 blocks from me.

The best part is that it's on the outer edge of town, & it's open 24-7
I go there after 10 PM, when at any given time, there's very few shoppers inside.

Obviously, the selection isn't as good as a regular grocery store, but they have all the essentials. Milk, OJ, bread/buns, chicken, ground beef, ice cream, eggs, cheese, etc
Old 04-03-2020, 10:16 PM   #136
gone traveling

I went to the grocery store today. A wal-mart. They had the entrance and exit separated with shopping carts.
Not sure why. Maybe trying to force a flow of traffic so people aren't face to face.

Shelves were pretty well stocked. A few empty shelves. not even sure what was supposed to be there.
Flour area was empty but a pallet was sitting there in main aisle with new bags.

Brought home a few bags of items. I didn't sanitize any of the products I purchased.

Toilet paper shelves were all still empty.

We usually buy large packages of toilet paper when we buy and we are still fine, but at some point we'll need another package I guess.

I'm still really confused as to why people would hoard that.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:19 PM   #137
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
I normally shop at Hy-vee or Cub, but because of the virus, they close at 8 PM now. Because of that, I've adopted a nearby Kwik-Trip as my grocery store. There's 7 of these in my town, & this one is only about 6 blocks from me.

The best part is that it's on the outer edge of town, & it's open 24-7
I go there after 10 PM, when at any given time, there's very few shoppers inside.

Obviously, the selection isn't as good as a regular grocery store, but they have all the essentials. Milk, OJ, bread/buns, chicken, ground beef, ice cream, eggs, cheese, etc
By your list of stores, you must be a fellow Minnesotan.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:20 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchan2177 View Post
My daughter orders food on-line for my wife and I. She uses Amazon Fresh or Safeway.com which meets 90% of our needs. However, there is 3 to 6 days lag time between ordering and food arrival at our door step. The food is surprising good quality.

For the other 10% of our needs such as ice cream and items not available on-line....I go to Food Max at 6 am in the morning when they first open and there are very few customers are in the store.
I keep trying to tell DW, we NEED ice cream, but she tells me she needs me more
Old 04-03-2020, 10:45 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Just placed a Costco order through Instacart. Total is $400 with tip. Anyone know how much they mark up the merchandise?
Old 04-03-2020, 10:52 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Just placed a Costco order through Instacart. Total is $400 with tip. Anyone know how much they mark up the merchandise?
The only thing I know is the box of soy milk, 12 containers of 1 Liter/quart is $12.99 in the store. Online it is $13.99.