Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 03:25 PM   #1661
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Yeah, we're looking at doing some minor hoarding too.........
After reading the recent posts in this thread, I'm thinking of doing some as well. We planned to go to the grocery store today, but the humidity is insanely high here today and we were both feeling lazy, so we put it off.

Hope the shelves aren't empty later in the week.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2020, 07:13 PM   #1662
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
After reading the recent posts in this thread, I'm thinking of doing some as well. We planned to go to the grocery store today, but the humidity is insanely high here today and we were both feeling lazy, so we put it off.

Hope the shelves aren't empty later in the week.
Far enough, but my advice is to be sure your shelves are fully and completely stocked before the presidential election. That's my plan anyway..
Old 10-24-2020, 07:31 PM   #1663
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Far enough, but my advice is to be sure your shelves are fully and completely stocked before the presidential election. That's my plan anyway..
Mine, too.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:39 PM   #1664
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I suppose it depends on where you live. If the (recent) past is any indicator of the future, we're in good shape. It's perhaps the only advantage of living in a one party (literally) state. There will be no surprises. Of course, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:33 PM   #1665
Give me a forum ...

I am really surprised that people are still reporting shortages in some areas.
As far as I can tell all the usual retailers are fully stocked with paper products. We don't use the sanitizer wipes but hand sanitizer and bleach and the like is stocked high and wide at all the retailers including the hardware stores. DW "warned" me that supplies of paper products were going to run short again so I plan to stock up using the free Sam's Club membership I learned about here. Unfortunately they have a limit of one ginormous package per member. I just might buy one name brand and one store brand in case some relatives run short.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:23 PM   #1666
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was on my way back to New Mexico from the Grand Canyon today and stopped at a grocery store in Winslow, AZ to buy some fresh produce. Once I get back to New Mexico, I am supposed to quarantine for 14 days and cannot go grocery shopping. To my amazement, the store had loads of Clorox disinfecting wipes, the bleach free type with the Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride. There was no limit on purchase quantities and the checker said they had been carrying the wipes for a while now. I have not seen these in my city of more than a half million population since February but Winslow has plenty.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:58 PM   #1667
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I was on my way back to New Mexico from the Grand Canyon today and stopped at a grocery store in Winslow, AZ to buy some fresh produce. Once I get back to New Mexico, I am supposed to quarantine for 14 days and cannot go grocery shopping. To my amazement, the store had loads of Clorox disinfecting wipes, the bleach free type with the Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride. There was no limit on purchase quantities and the checker said they had been carrying the wipes for a while now. I have not seen these in my city of more than a half million population since February but Winslow has plenty.
See post #5 in this thread:

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ll-104822.html

It is the same chemical, there are different ways of listing it. That by itself does not kill Covid-19.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:27 PM   #1668
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
See post #5 in this thread:

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ll-104822.html

It is the same chemical, there are different ways of listing it. That by itself does not kill Covid-19.
There is a long list of active ingredients on the label and for brevity I listed only one just to indicate that the wipes did not contain bleach or alcohol. I am assuming that these active ingredients equate to "quaternary ammonium compounds" as the EPA List N Disinfectants for COVID-19 includes Clorox Disinfecting Wipes and names quaternary ammonium as the active ingredient. So I hope these work against COVID-19. I am tired of dealing with alcohol wipes that dry out in my arid climate and/or bleach which seems to leave a residue and dissolves finishes.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:10 AM   #1669

I have a stock up order being delivered from Walmart this morning. I got some extra paper goods this time. And a small frozen turkey breast for our two person Thanksgiving dinner.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:12 AM   #1670
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveyoga View Post
I have a stock up order being delivered from Walmart this morning. I got some extra paper goods this time. And a small frozen turkey breast for our two person Thanksgiving dinner.
I have been doing Walmart pick up but Walmart delivery is now in my area and I
am thinking about doing it. How do you like the Walmart Delivery?
Old 10-25-2020, 08:36 AM   #1671

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
AJ Fine Foods often has some of the specialty meats, including duck, ostrich, venison, bison, etc...
They are owned by Basha's, which I never really liked much. I know the center because the Fido office is on the corner, but never visited the store. Been there for maybe 15 years?
Old 10-25-2020, 08:41 AM   #1672

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I have been doing Walmart pick up but Walmart delivery is now in my area and I
am thinking about doing it. How do you like the Walmart Delivery?
I have been very happy with it. I did the delivery for a while first. The annual charge for delivery is around $100 a year, but it has been worth it for us. The Walmart app is very helpful. I have not been inside our local Walmart since early March.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:26 AM   #1673

Did my part to be a pre election panic buyer, and bought 2 chuck roasts on sale for $3.99 a pound. I remember when chuck steak was regarded as undesirable (too much fat?) and was always $1.49 a pound NOT on sale. Oh well. The store I was in did have some drawdown of paper products going on. But I just couldn't bring myself to stock up. I already have tons.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:34 AM   #1674
Moderator Emeritus

No election around the corner here, but talks about another lockdown. I made sure to stock up in the last few days, just in case. No signs of shortages anywhere. After 5 months of in-store grocery shopping, during our almost COVID-free summer, I'm probably going to start doing curbside pickup again as the number of cases is exploding once more.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:43 AM   #1675

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Pre- Covid we used a ton of hand sanitizer because we were out and about, traveling, etc.. We have noticed that we are not using hardly any hand sanitizer now because we are not going anywhere and not traveling.
I think the initial panic buying of hand sanitizer and alcohol and disinfecting wipes was driven by people's (mostly unfounded) fears of being easily infected by touching contaminated surfaces. Nowadays, we're being told that this mode of transmission is of much less concern than direct, respiratory transmission, so people seem to be a lot less interested in hoarding Lysol wipes and Purell. And, of course, with travel way down across the board, hand sanitizer isn't really a daily necessity. Personally, I use it only when out and about (e.g., after putting gas in the car) and still have a fair bit left from the bottles I bought shortly before the pandemic started in March.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:27 AM   #1676
Recycles dryer sheets

Safeway recently added curbside and delivery to the store near me. They had a coupon for the first order so I used it as an excuse to stock up. It went much more smoothly than my last grocery curbside order from Fred Meyer in the Spring. Only one item out of a large order was out of stock and the delivery was right at the beginning of the time window.

My freezer is stocked up enough now to make it through winter. Maybe things will be getting better by then.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:21 AM   #1677
Dryer sheet wannabe

During height of the pandemic we exclusively did contactless pickup but now that we live in a place with super low cases we've been heading in more than I like. As winter hits and we inevitably see cases here we will probably go back to not going in. Masking indoors has been the rule here since July but I find there are a lot of masks below noses (or some without) and it makes me so unsettled. I am the type to always smile and be friendly and Covid has turned me into a person that gives the stink eye to anyone not "following the rules". I don't enjoy that - I hope we return to an easier way of like by the end of 2021
Old 10-28-2020, 08:44 AM   #1678
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketGirl View Post
During height of the pandemic we exclusively did contactless pickup but now that we live in a place with super low cases we've been heading in more than I like. As winter hits and we inevitably see cases here we will probably go back to not going in. Masking indoors has been the rule here since July but I find there are a lot of masks below noses (or some without) and it makes me so unsettled. I am the type to always smile and be friendly and Covid has turned me into a person that gives the stink eye to anyone not "following the rules". I don't enjoy that - I hope we return to an easier way of like by the end of 2021
My county is really strange. We had a spike from our meatpacking plant in early May. It took around 5 or 6 days to get a Walmart pickup spot.

Now we have pretty wide community spread with some plant spread too. I can get a pickup spot at Walmart in less then 24 hours. Last time I did a pickup I was the only car in 12 spots the entire time. The WalMart parking lot was full of cars..
Old 10-28-2020, 10:28 AM   #1679
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My county is really strange. We had a spike from our meatpacking plant in early May. It took around 5 or 6 days to get a Walmart pickup spot.

Now we have pretty wide community spread with some plant spread too. I can get a pickup spot at Walmart in less then 24 hours. Last time I did a pickup I was the only car in 12 spots the entire time. The WalMart parking lot was full of cars..
Same here. I could only get a spot a week ahead at the beginning but I believe it was because masking in stores wasn't mandated yet. Once the masking was mandated, pickup spots for the next day became available.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:38 AM   #1680
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Same here. I could only get a spot a week ahead at the beginning but I believe it was because masking in stores wasn't mandated yet. Once the masking was mandated, pickup spots for the next day became available.
I still don't get the change in behavior. My last order was a big one as we had been busy farming and were really low on food. It would have taken a minimum of an hour inside the Walmart. I spent 10 minutes online clicking my favorites into my cart, and 3 minutes waiting in the pickup area. I don't care if you wear a mask and sanitize, there is no upside to going inside the store for that long.
Closed Thread