Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 10:34 PM   #1881
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Was at Kroger this Sunday morning ~8 AM. Plenty of TP and PT, looked normal. There were more people in the store for that day and time, though.

Shopping Carts - Kid collecting carts from the parking lot just pushed them into the side that people take carts from when they come into the store. Sanitizing? Nope. Same kid I saw two weeks ago doing the same thing, phone still glued to ear. The cart pickup area is dead-end, there is no other end like many Walmarts have that easily lends itself to segregating carts till sanitized. Krogers by us used to have carts lined up inside the stores that were sanitized, kept separate from the returned carts in the vestibule. Haven't seen that for many months.

At Walmart a couple months ago a teenager (least looked that way to me) was minimally dusting the top of cart handles quickly with a garden sprayer, till one of the store personnel told him he needed to also spray the underside of the handles, and use the paper towels to work the spray in. We always come prepared with a large paper towel and a strip of tape to tape it closed, to wrap the handle under many layers of paper. Stays on till we empty the cart at car, put it in the cart return outside, then rip off towel and into trash can there. We also always avoid touching the fold-down seat or its straps, as all sorts of expo's have shown that they are usually contaminated with fecal bacteria. Sometimes door person at Walmart sees us wrapping the handle, and tells us that they are all disinfected. We thank them, and carry on regardless. We see more than they do!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2020, 10:46 PM   #1882
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I bring a tiny (from glasses store) spray bottle that I dump out the eye glass cleaner, and fill with 70% alcohol.
It fits in my pocket, and I can spray the shopping cart handle and wipe it with a papper towel.
After shopping I spray my hands at the car. I stopped wearing the blue gloves in stores.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:43 AM   #1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I bring a tiny (from glasses store) spray bottle that I dump out the eye glass cleaner, and fill with 70% alcohol.
It fits in my pocket, and I can spray the shopping cart handle and wipe it with a papper towel.
After shopping I spray my hands at the car. I stopped wearing the blue gloves in stores.
My wife and I carry small spray bottle with alcohol too. Gave up gloves after the first time. Now it is the alcohol spray before and after handling the groceries. Then followed by hand washing after storing the groceries at home.

Cheers!
Old 11-23-2020, 08:39 AM   #1884

I do curbside pickup from Ralph's (a Kroger company). Almost once a month, after I get home, DW would find a bag missing. I have to call and go there a 2nd time. My order is not particularly large each time. Mostly 6 or 7 bags.

This would still happen when the picker is the same person loading the bags into my car, and even after I ask if they loaded every bag.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:52 AM   #1885
Give me a forum ...

I am having trouble with Walmart grocery both pick up and delivery. I have used Walmart pick up with good success until recently. Last week I tried Walmart delivery and it was a disaster--I was charged for 20 items I did not receive and had to spend a long time on the phone to get a refund. Today I went back to Walmart curbside and was charged for five items I did not receive ($34 worth), again I had to spend a long time on the phone to get a refund.

Anyone else having trouble with Walmart charging for things you don't receive?

I guess I am going to have to find a different grocery for pick up or delivery ( I do not want to go inside a grocery). Any suggestions? (We don't have a Publix).
Old 11-23-2020, 08:59 AM   #1886

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I just take a small bottle of hand sanitizer and put a good amount on my hands and then rub down the handle with the sanitizer. Also, having the sanitizer is good for opening those small produce bags. Now that I can’t lick a finger (because my mask is on), I put a drop of sanitizer on my finger and that gives me the tackiness I need to get those bags open.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:02 AM   #1887
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I just take a small bottle of hand sanitizer and put a good amount on my hands and then rub down the handle with the sanitizer. Also, having the sanitizer is good for opening those small produce bags. Now that I can’t lick a finger (because my mask is on), I put a drop of sanitizer on my finger and that gives me the tackiness I need to get those bags open.
I have a tub of wipes in the car. When I go to the grocery, I take one in with me. I use it to wipe the cart handle and to open the doors on the refrigerator cases.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:04 AM   #1888

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I am having trouble with Walmart grocery both pick up and delivery. I have used Walmart pick up with good success until recently. Last week I tried Walmart delivery and it was a disaster--I was charged for 20 items I did not receive and had to spend a long time on the phone to get a refund. Today I went back to Walmart curbside and was charged for five items I did not receive ($34 worth), again I had to spend a long time on the phone to get a refund.

I guess I am going to have to find a different grocery for pick up or delivery ( I do not want to go inside a grocery). Any suggestions? (We don't have a Publix).
I know. Large orders tend to get them confused. Walmart has $35 limit for free delivery, so I tend not to go over too much for each order. I had to call their call center a couple of times too. They are in Asia, but refund / reship is not a problem for them.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:06 AM   #1889
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Sounds like a problem at the local level. We've been using Walmart for grocery pickup since early April and only once were we charged for an item we did not get, and once for substitutions we declined at pick up, but were still charged for.

FWIW, this is one of their Neighborhood Markets, not a "regular" Walmart store. Overall their service has been and remains very good.

(Hope I didn't jinx myself by paying them a compliment. DW discovered this am that we were out of dog food. I submitted an online order for pick up at 2pm today - the first time we've tried same day service.)

EDIT: Our orders usually range between $100 and $150.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:07 AM   #1890
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Looks like the panic buying is starting again ...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2802W3
All out a week ago in our area Costco whereas two weeks prior they had plenty. Fortunately I had ordered a case each of TP and PT late summer in GA when they came available online again. But we didn’t have room to take the cases back home to TX. Our home supplies of TP in TX were pretty low.

Now we are back in GA, reconciled with our paper stash, and we got a minivan (for transporting a large oil painting), so we have oodles of room to carry paper products back to TX.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:16 AM   #1891

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
All out a week ago in our area Costco whereas two weeks prior they had plenty. Fortunately I had ordered a case each of TP and PT late summer in GA when they came available online again. But we didn’t have room to take the cases back home to TX. Our home supplies of TP in TX were pretty low.

Now we are back in GA, reconciled with our paper stash, and we got a minivan (for transporting a large oil painting), so we have oodles of room to carry paper products back to TX.
Hmmm....interstate transport of toilet paper? I suggest you go under cover of darkness to avoid the TP Police!
Old 11-23-2020, 09:58 AM   #1892
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Hmmm....interstate transport of toilet paper? I suggest you go under cover of darkness to avoid the TP Police!
Proof that life is stranger than fiction. The TP Police are real! (sort of)

https://komonews.com/news/local/sher...walla-walla-co
Old 11-23-2020, 10:16 AM   #1893
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Sounds like a problem at the local level. We've been using Walmart for grocery pickup since early April and only once were we charged for an item we did not get, and once for substitutions we declined at pick up, but were still charged for.

FWIW, this is one of their Neighborhood Markets, not a "regular" Walmart store. Overall their service has been and remains very good.

(Hope I didn't jinx myself by paying them a compliment. DW discovered this am that we were out of dog food. I submitted an online order for pick up at 2pm today - the first time we've tried same day service.)

Just got home from a 115 dollar WalMart pickup.. I have never had one single mistake on the WalMart end. Today I thought I was missing one item . I pulled up the order and the problem was ME..I only thought about ordering it I didn't actually add it to my order....
Old 11-23-2020, 10:19 AM   #1894
Full time employment: Posting here.

Harris teeter and/or wegmans?
Quote:

Old 11-23-2020, 10:23 AM   #1895
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Yes it is probably a problem with my local Walmart. I can change the WM I use for pick up --there is another one I can go to (but it is further away) so I might give that a try. Today my order was around $200, the missing items totaled $35. Last week my order (which was a delivery order) was also around $200, the missing items totaled $50 (and another $50 worth was out of stock so I only got $100 worth of groceries when I ordered $200). I guess because the amount of refund was large I could not use online refunding for the missing items--I had to call customer service which was a long drown out affair. First the customer service person suggested I drive back to WM and look for my missing items and I said no I will not do that.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:26 AM   #1896
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
Harris teeter and/or wegmans?
We don't have a Wegmans yet (one is under construction) but we do have a Harris Teeter. Have you had a good experience with Harris Teeter curbside or pick up?
Old 11-23-2020, 10:52 AM   #1897
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Well, on our first trip out in March when we realized we had to go by car and stay awhile, I threw jackets over the case of TP at our hotel stops because I didn't want someone breaking into our car at night to steal TP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed View Post

Well there you go - I may have thwarted a thief after all!!!
Old 11-23-2020, 11:08 AM   #1898
Give me a forum ...

On the other side of the Triangle region, we've had no problems with Walmart. DW's only complaint is sometimes they are a bit slow on bringing out the groceries, with a little wait involved. The orders have been 100% perfect, sometimes with upgraded substitutions and intentional little surprise items.

DW has had a few issues with Harris Teeter accuracy. She kind of read them the riot act once after getting charged for all the stuff they said they could not fulfill. Ever since, they've been OK and call her with a nice greeting. She thinks she's on a "trouble list" of sorts. But here's the thing, DW paid a yearly fee for this, so I don't think it is wrong to expect good service.

We have a Wegmans, but the place is a crowded zoo and we don't like traveling there. Sometimes they have to have traffic cops. Too crowded, even by car.

Old 11-23-2020, 11:10 AM   #1899
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I picked up yesterday and it was still free.
I see that the latest version of the Fred Meyer website now says pickup is free with a minimum $35 order.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:36 AM   #1900

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed View Post