Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Grocery Store Inflation
Old 04-09-2020, 05:56 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Grocery Store Inflation

First time back at the grocery store in 12 days. It's an Aldi's and they raised the salaries a bit for their employees, hired someone to clean the carts and keep count of people in the store, and it looked like extra stick person on duty. I'm sure this is costing them and I'm not complaining, just noticed prices are up.
Cookies went from 99¢ to $1.24 (DM is isolating with me. 86years old and lives on cookies and bread. So I'm in carb loading mode too.)
Almond milk up about 30¢
Salad up 20¢
Spinach up 20¢
Milk and eggs there always price swing so not real indicative, but a half gallon cost the same as a gallon last week.
Anyone else finding any prices up or down on items?
I see gas down about 50¢ from 2 weeks ago and maybe 80¢ from a month ago
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2020, 06:05 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've paid zero attention to the prices anything at the grocery store the past few weeks. I am ever grateful that so much is still available. If I see something desired, like black grapes for $whatever, I just grab em. Amazing the quality of produce here in the USA.... in the middle of a pandemic!
Old 04-09-2020, 06:13 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
. Amazing the quality of produce here in the USA.... in the middle of a pandemic!
Went shopping yesterday and was able to get EVERY SINGLE THING on my list. Looked pretty normal to me, albeit not nearly as many people there.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:23 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have an order from Aldi coming through instacart tomorrow. I think part of that business model is to raise the price a bit for each item plus the service fee. Nothing noticable to me.
I really like my Aldi employees and wish I could really show some $$ appreciation.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:05 PM   #5

I haven't noticed any inflation at the big chain grocery stores I go to. Well, one thing went up: a 1.5 liter of Pinot Grigio went from $8.99 to $10.99 but the other wine and beer prices stayed the same. ( whew) I think the Pinot Grigio would have gone up with or without the virus thing. I was thinking of getting milk at Aldi's tomorrow since it is usually low ($1.95 a half gallon) Now I'm wondering about that!
Old 04-09-2020, 07:07 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Yup, the grocery here is great! Everything except paper.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:55 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Apparently, all the paper deliveries went to Texas. TP apd paper towel isle was full the brim this afternoon at Walmart. I even picked up tissues for DW (in a 4 pack - Kleenex).
Old 04-09-2020, 07:58 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

For paper you have to go to Costco.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:31 PM   #9

I haven’t noticed it only because I am just in grab and go mode. I’m sure it’s there though. From virtually no sale items to realizing the extra cost grocery store are incurring, we are and likely will continue to pay more for food. Time will tell how much. Thankfully, it’s not a big number in total spend so I’ll be fine, but it will certainly affect many.

I was also just saying to DW how much more restaurant food will be in the future. They’re talking about more staff and less customers per square foot for distancing. There’s no way that isn’t going to increase cost drastically. Again, time will tell.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:45 PM   #10

Costco has maintained the same pricing it always had. They plan their coupons months in advance and they had toilet paper and Lysol cleaner on sale at a time when hoarding was keeping them from maintaining any inventory past the first hour of each shopping day. But they maintained their sale prices anyway.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:22 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I have not seen any prices hikes in the stores we shop at. The store brands have been selling out faster than the popular brand names, so that might make it for some more expensive to shop. But I have not seen prices change. I was surprised to still be able to buy a 50 pack of latex gloves from Walmart for just over $3.00.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:34 AM   #12
gone traveling

I barely pay attention to prices on food when I purchase.
Side by side I might check what cost less per ounce, big package or small package on sale.

At a time like this it's obvious, the grocery workers are still underpaid for their work, as are nurse and other essential people.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:48 AM   #13

I've seen a LOT of price inflation. Potatoes have nearly doubled. TP (when in stock) is up about 25%. Canned goods up at least 25% and canned tomatoes were up about 125%. Hamburger up 30+%.
And those are just the prices... I haven't had time to watch for "package size shrinkage".
Old 04-10-2020, 08:02 AM   #14

Good to see it's not just me thinking it.
Of course I grabbed the $1.29 bag of salad and thought "Dang, that was 69¢", then remembered that was the 10 year ago price.
Don't mind paying more for safe food. Heck, I'd pay an extra 20¢ for Romaine that wouldn't kill me.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:27 AM   #15

The three double sided page weekly ad was only 1 page this week, they don't need any more customers. One of my tenants is a 25 year manager at my local store, she said they're making money hand over fist, but bracing for when people won't buy anything until their personal hoard goes down.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:37 AM   #16

Yeah I can see from my ads that Kroger has cut way back on sales. No more mega bucks promos where if you buy 5 you save $1 each, no more weekend flash sales etc. Just a normal flyer without their regular promos.

Can't blame them really, given demand.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
The three double sided page weekly ad was only 1 page this week, they don't need any more customers. One of my tenants is a 25 year manager at my local store, she said they're making money hand over fist, but bracing for when people won't buy anything until their personal hoard goes down.
Thats the other hidden inflation. No sales. No senior discounts (thats a 10% increase for us right there). No buying in bulk to get a cheaper price.

And then watch out grocery shopping on walmart.com or amazon... the only pancake mix available 2 days ago was $26 for a box that normally costs $6. You can call them "gougers", but in Venezuela its called the street/black market price that you gotta pay if you actually want to eat.

I was just looking for 9V batteries as our smoke detectors are due to start chirping this spring... $8. EACH. PLUS a delivery charge.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:52 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post

My sister works in management for Albertsons/Safeway. She was on a call a couple of weeks ago and the managers were saying this is the most profit they have ever made, they were talking about their bonuses, unfortunately no bonus for the store workers
Old 04-10-2020, 11:01 AM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
I've paid zero attention to the prices anything at the grocery store the past few weeks.
I imagine most people in USA would disagree.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:02 AM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I get paper delivered every day - WSJ.
Closed Thread