Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 08:05 PM   #201
Full time employment: Posting here.

I’ve gone to a gym since I was about 19, but I think this period has allowed me to create home workouts that will now replace the gym.
I do have a pretty comprehensive home gym, a variety of resistance bands, some kettle bells, a stationary bike and a treadmill. So, with all that along with the use of HIIT videos I am ready to transition to home workouts.
Kinda happy about this.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Opening gyms in Georgia
Old 04-21-2020, 06:42 AM   #202
Recycles dryer sheets

Opening gyms in Georgia

Our Governor (Brian Kemp) announced yesterday that gyms, among other establishments (hair salons, nail salons, massage parlors, tatoo places, to name a few), will be allowed to open for business this Friday because Georgia has successfully passed the Federal Government's recommended Phase I criteria.

I guess we'll see what happens.

We have a gym membership, but I for one am not sure I'll be going yet.

I really want a haircut, but that might wait as well, as I'm sure the places nearby will be mobbed....
Old 04-21-2020, 07:30 AM   #203
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In the last couple weeks I've sold some excess gym equipment that was just taking up space. Of course I've kept what I need to work out but I figure now was a good time to get top dollar on stuff that is no longer need.

- 240 pounds of weight plates, 4 pairs of spinlock dumbbells, a 2-tier dumbbell rack. Worth about $300 before, got $550
- 4 York 45 pound Olympic plates worth $150 before, got $300
- Weider cable gym, worth $300 before, got $750
Old 04-21-2020, 08:36 AM   #204
gone traveling

Unfortunately, I sold my home gym when we downsized in 2013. Now, all I am doing is body weight and stretching exercises, plus my walks with the dog. I have some tubing and elastic bands that have also helped a lot. I must say, I do not feel like I've lost much strength in this period away from the gym, but was expecting that would happen, although I won't know how much until I return to the gym.

Being in the high risk category (over 70 with underlying conditions), even when the gyms open again in our area, I doubt I'll go back any time soon. My senior softball season never even started up and I am not sure it will resume this year. That was another form of exercise for me that I really miss.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:25 AM   #205
Full time employment: Posting here.

There's been a rush of new gyms opening/building in my area, all trying to play off the Planet Fitness $10 a month success. I wonder how many will even finish building ,or for the ones that actually were open manage to stay in business. Even before covid it seemed like way to many gyms per square mile.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:37 PM   #206
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
Last week I was hauling some heavy bags of yard waste out to the curb for pickup and thinking how my new at-home exercise routine has improved my upper-body strength. Well, I strained a muscle, ligament, and/or tendon in my leg, and have been limping around the past week. Bummer.

I'm wondering whether my new exercise routine has been straining parts of my body that were previously mostly unstrained, and if so whether this is a good thing. I never injured myself at the gym. I may go looking for a lower-impact aerobics video and/or swallow my pride and admit that a Level 1 or Level 2 difficulty might be more appropriate for my aging body.
If you're not injuring yourself, then it may be that period of not working out certain muscles caused some fatigue, lactic acid.

First few times I walked instead of using a treadmill, all of my lower body felt sore.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:49 PM   #207
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I live in NW Georgia and even though the gyms and PF may be opening soon, I doubt if I'll be in any hurry to go. I bought a nice exercise bike and some weights just before this thing hit and have been walking 10K+ steps a day and have actually lost about four pounds. I'm in no hurry to be around masses of people.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:03 PM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
...it may be that period of not working out certain muscles caused some fatigue, lactic acid.
My particular affliction was definitely not lactic acid. One particular stance caused extreme pain (I almost passed out from pain while standing at the counter at the post office the day after pain onset). Fortunately, recovery has been rapid these past few days - mild exercise of the afflicted area seems to have helped. Why didn't I take a pain reliever last week? Well - that which doesn't kill me makes me stronger.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:01 AM   #209

I miss going to the gym. I am just less likely to do it at home particularly when the house is full of people. Since the kids are out of school my house is rarely empty anymore. I'm sick to death of all these closures. I can't wait to go back. It probably helps that I suspect I've already had it and I know my parents have.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:16 AM   #210
Give me a forum ...

I'm working out at home but really missed working out on our two trips this past winter as there was no decent gym where we stayed. I'll be buying a set of resistance bands to take on future trips (currently back ordered) as they're just a couple pounds and can easily fit in a suitcase but can provide resistance as high as 200 pounds.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:01 AM   #211
Give me a forum ...

The only public gym close to me is a Planet Fitness; I wonder if they'll ever reopen. A large portion of the clientele were elderly - not just Old, but infirm-looking. Since they were probably there on doctor's orders to begin with, they won't be back till some doctor says it's safe, which will be never. I cannot see any way for a gym to keep people from breathing each other's air, and still host enough people to make money.

This bothers me because I was making progress with a stubborn shoulder impingement, by using the weighted rower and certain other gym machines I can't duplicate at home (even if we had the floor space). Now that progress has stopped and may be going backward. The next closest gym is 15 miles away and costs five times as much. It's still closed too, of course.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:47 PM   #212

My health club emailed me today to inform me they will be reopening on Friday May 1. For now it will be limited to tennis, pickleball and swimming. These are all outdoor activities. The fitness club and locker room will remain closed. They are estimating May 15th to reopen some of the indoor portions of the facility. And there will be no childcare.

But I’m ready to get some exercise. Being able to play pickleball and go for a swim will go a long way for me toward getting some sense of normalcy back in my daily routine, and hopefully shedding some of the ten pounds I’ve gained since the shutdown.
Old 04-29-2020, 11:28 PM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
In the last couple weeks I've sold some excess gym equipment that was just taking up space. Of course I've kept what I need to work out but I figure now was a good time to get top dollar on stuff that is no longer need.

- 240 pounds of weight plates, 4 pairs of spinlock dumbbells, a 2-tier dumbbell rack. Worth about $300 before, got $550
- 4 York 45 pound Olympic plates worth $150 before, got $300
- Weider cable gym, worth $300 before, got $750
DS1 has turned lemons in to lemonade and made 12k to this point flipping gym gear. Plates are going for $2 a pound he says.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:40 AM   #214

I have had gym memberships and like many other folks I only used them occasionally and for a short time. For me there were a waste of money. Then the military base a couple of miles away built a massive fitness center complete with free weights, weight machines of all kinds (some I never saw before), every aerobic machine made, racket ball, basketball, and an olympic plus size swimming pool. I went for awhile since there was no fee but just couldn't stay interested in gyms. It will always be there when ever I want to go again.

So now I ride my recumbent bike 15-20 miles everyday, have a recumbent stationary bike for the days it rains, 5, 10, 15# dumbbells, and a variety of elastic bands and tubes. If I want to swim there is an ocean down the block.

So much easier for me to exercise everyday at anytime that is convenient without having to get into the car and carry a bag of clothes to change into.
It would be easy to buy more equipment for the home but what I have works out fine for me and I don't see the necessity. What I have does everything I need. I exercise for fun and to stay healthy but not for bodybuilding or for training anymore.

Cheers!
Old 04-30-2020, 06:02 AM   #215
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The only public gym close to me is a Planet Fitness; I wonder if they'll ever reopen. A large portion of the clientele were elderly - not just Old, but infirm-looking. Since they were probably there on doctor's orders to begin with, they won't be back till some doctor says it's safe, which will be never. I cannot see any way for a gym to keep people from breathing each other's air, and still host enough people to make money.
I'm also a PF member and agree with your description of many people there. Some, though, may have their monthly membership paid by their Medicare supplement. Mine pays the $10/month regular cost and I get billed for another $10 because I have the Black Card membership. People with the regular membership paid by the Medicare supplement may hang on even though they have to pay the $42 annual fee.

Most gyms are built on a model assuming that only a small % of people will use it regularly. The free pizza and free bagels once a month are gimmicks meant to retain the people who are rarely on the machines and I'm sure those will be gone. I sure hope PF survives- not only because I like it but because I'm a stockholder!
Closed Thread