Gym and Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
When they say "organic material" they basically mean it doesn't work unless the surface is "clean". The fibers in towels aren't what you need to be concerned about. In brewing, we have a no-rinse sanitizer to sanitize already cleaned surfaces, but occasionally someone will use it on something not yet 'kitchen clean'. That's when I usually say "you can't sanitize a turd", :LOL:

I found out I was partly wrong. The wet wipes at the Y are quaternary ammonium compound. The spray bottle is peroxide. Both will work. I’m doing an early morning shift once a week to pay for membership. Everyone is sanitizing a lot. I sanitized racquets and racquetballs as well as lap counters.

And thanks for correction. We all learn from one another.

I feel that hoping I can somehow avoid a pandemic is like being a little kid before 1963, and hoping you'd somehow not get measles (I had it twice, two different viruses). Everyone's got to go out sometime.

I feel that hoping I can somehow avoid a pandemic is like being a little kid before 1963, and hoping you'd somehow not get measles (I had it twice, two different viruses). Everyone's got to go out sometime.

While it might seem futile (and probably is) just delaying getting the infection can be a big help to the health care industry, which I'm sure you know. We've all seen the graph. I'm just trying to do my part as a citizen.

"not helpful?" Maybe and maybe not but it can't hurt to wipe it down before and after. Maybe just maybe I'll wipe away something (Corona or otherwise).

Since the Clorox Wipe instruction were convenient, "To disinfect ...use enough wipes to let treated surfaces remain visibly wet for 4 minutes."

Since I believe quats are very popular products, I expect they might be used in your fitness facility. If not, I would review the label to see how quickly the product in your gym works.

Having said this, I think using the hand sanitizer between equipment use is the best approach as long as you are careful when going from the equipment to the hand sanitizing station, you do not touch your face. Likely an easy thing to avoid in a short distance.

Going to the gym today. Will go next week. I'm not curtailing anything that hasn't been shut down.

I'm still swimming at local YMCA. Figure the chlorine will kill anything. Just keep to myself for the most part. I'll talk with the lifeguards, they're far enough away. Most are young students. One is going on spring break to FL.

Everyone's got to go out sometime.

Attendance at my gym was down about 25% this morning from a couple of days ago. The two new local Covid-19 cases announced yesterday probably didn't help. A brisk walk doesn't compare to 40 minutes on the elliptical + other exercises, but reducing the risk of infection is nice. I'll take it day-by-day. :popcorn:

I called the Y this eve, said the hand sanitizers have been empty for months, and will cancel my membership tomorrow if not filled by morning, then left my name and #.

An hour later the manager called me back and assured me that they will be refilled by morning. I'll have to check the sales status of the Brooklyn bridge before going to the Y tomorrow.

They made good on the promise.
0600 I arrived. The old useless wall sanitizer was gone, and there were 2 pump thingy sanitizers and a big roll of sanitizing towel in the men's locker room. Miracles never cease. Also there were many pump bottles of sanitizer on nearly every horizontal surface in the rest of the Y. I know they are not truly effective for COVID. Still no sign of the COVID in western PA. The eastern counties bordering on NJ and NY all have some, one south of Philly has a lot.

Last edited:
I showed up at my Planet Fitness this morning and the regular hand sanitizer on a stand was missing! And I didn't see the one on the other side of the room. I wonder if they ran out of product.

My gym (municipal recreation center) closed. The Governor closed all K-12 schools and the rec center followed suit. Closed for at least three weeks. Just as good. I was signed up for two workout classes and now I don’t have to decide whether or not to keep going. Thankfully the weather’s not too bad. Walking and body weight exercises for awhile.

My gym (a college fitness center) has lots of convenient spay bottles with cloths. I could also pick up my own clean washcloth when I come in and use that with their spray.

I'll go with that. I always shower there and don't have any worries about it.

I figure I shouldn't touch my hands to my face while I'm exercising, and I'll be thoroughly washed before I get dressed to leave.
Of course, I'm looking forward to warm weather and a chance to go outdoors.

I got the email today that my gym, which is run by the county, is closing until the end of the month with the lost 16 days to be refunded to monthly members or added to the end of the term for yearly members.

Just as well, I suppose, as I had recently decided not to use any equipment I had to touch and was only walking the indoor track. In cold or hot weather walking indoors is good, but now that spring is here I'll be getting outside more. I will miss the hot tub, though.

We didn't go to the gym on Friday, and will probably not go until the time if/when this virus thing blows over.

Went to the gym today. Attendance seemed a little low, but I was there mid-afternoon which is later than usual. Traffic seemed normal.

I wiped down the equipment before and after with the spray sanitizer, used the foam Purell multiple times, and washed hands before I left. I'm not yet concerned. We don't have any reported cases in the area so we'll see how things develop.

Also took DW out for dinner downtown and the restaurant was full and plenty of people on the streets. Not yet panicking around here.

Yesterday the city decided to close all the park and rec facilities until at least April 1st. No more swimming pool for me for a few weeks anyway. I'm really disappointed as that is my happy place and the water is the only place I can move with minimal pain and stiffness. :(

My gym (in NYC) announced yesterday that it will close as of Sunday. I was already uncertain about continuing to go & closing seemed inevitable since so many other places (the library, the Met, Lincoln Center, Broadway shows) are shutting down. Still, each new announcement feels jolting.

After much wavering though, I decided to go to a cardio class today but skipped the weight machines. Only one other person showed up for the class (there are usually about a dozen) so there was plenty of room for social distancing! It felt bittersweet in view of the circumstances but I was glad I went.

The announcement about closing said nothing about refunds so I wondered about suspending my membership to make sure I won't be paying for the time it's closed. Today there was another email with a cryptic statement about issuing credits ("We will assess the need to apply credit for the days missed this month when we determine a reopening date"). And it added: "Some of you have also expressed concern for our staff during this unexpected closure. There is much uncertainty at the moment, but we are doing our best to compensate our employees for as long as possible. If you would like to donate your dues or class fees to help us in this endeavor, please email us."

Sounds like they are saying "We know you expect credit for the time we are closed, but we hope you'll consider waiving it so we can pay our staff." The gym is a non-profit. Shutting down will obviously hurt them financially & no one wants the staff to suffer, but I don't see how they can avoid issuing a full credit for however long they are closed, which I expect will be for quite a while.

Last edited:
My son's college in South Fl. closed until at least April 5th. This is his last term until graduation. I hope they don't extend the term, he's got plans.

Attendance at my gym today was about 40% lower than normal for a Sunday morning. The virus transmission risk still seems rather low, although of course it's higher than hibernating at home.

I don't know what to think about the Florida woman with the continual dry, hacking cough who was also at the gym. Would someone really head out to a gym with COVID-19 symptoms? It's hard to believe, but this is Florida. You've probably heard of Typhoid Mary; I hope this woman isn't trying to be COVID-19 Carol. :)

A national lockdown would help flatten and broaden the COVID-19 infection curve like no other measure. A few weeks without the gym wouldn't be a major inconvenience. :popcorn:

Just an observation--I wish I had a screenshot of this forum page the last few days. It's gone from seeing a post or two about the coronavirus to where it's now the dominant topic.

As far as going to the gym, my governor isn't allowing me to leave my home.

I did go to the gym today, attendance was sparse, there were about a half-dozen people there other than staff. Interestingly, all but one were, like me, in the high risk group being over 65 or so.

I'm reconsidering going back until this thing settles down some and settle for long walks and at-home exercising. The trouble with that is that at-home exercising tends to not happen and once I'm at the gym, well I'm there so I might as well do what I came for.

I never thought I’d say this, but I kind of miss going (we’re closed now). I guess when you can’t have it you want it even more. Tomorrow I will definitely go for a walk and see about something I can actually call a workout. Maybe a YouTube exercise video.

Gov Newsome asked Californians 65 and over to self quarantine at home irrespective of our current health. Nope. Not doing it. I'll stay 6'+ or 10'+ from all others but as soon as the rain breaks I'm hiking with Koda, my dog. I am not willing to isolate myself from*everything. I don't think he's thought through how restricting our access to fresh air, hiking trails, and activity would impact heathy solo seniors (FWIW I live in a semi-rural area. Head east from my block and the next houses are 22 miles away, only 2 miles away to the west)

I already cancelled my gym membership, and we work out at home, but today, DH and I decided to go on a walk, but people would come up and talk to us (DH carries a camera with a huge lense) and some people were chatting in the middle of the trail, and we didn't want to get close to pass them, so we waited, etc. We need to drive further into the woods and take a walk...

Went to the gym today, about a third of the normal number of people were there. Washed my hands real good before leaving.

We didn't go to the gym on Friday, and will probably not go until the time if/when this virus thing blows over.

According to their website, our gym closed for an indefinite period of time starting yesterday due to the growing coronavirus dangers here. Our memberships are suspended and will be reactivated when they re-open.

Guess the gym and I are on the same page! Friday was the day I refused to go, and Saturday they closed it.

We're self-isolating at home now, no more gym or restaurants for now. We are old so it makes sense to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom