Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 02:46 PM   #141
Gone but not forgotten

I have been doing online videos for a few months . I find them motivating .I usually vary between arm exercises , yoga and taichi .I then add walking and I have a decent work out for an old babe .IMO using the videos are much better than winging it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2020, 05:36 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I shopped some treadmills.

Tried to look for ones with big belts, wide and long enough that you can run it at some speed if you need to.

Most of the higher-end ones try to combine it with something called iFit, which is a subscription, like $40 a month or so, with streamed video to coach you on your workout.

I never had to use anything like that at the gym.

What a damn scam.
Gym and Covid - 19
Old 03-19-2020, 10:00 PM   #143
Dryer sheet aficionado

Gym and Covid - 19

Well.....here in Ohio that decision has already been made for us. The Governor has issued a closure order for all gyms, restaurants, bars, barber shops and just about everything else.

The wife and I will be going for long walks, hikes and bicycle rides in the parks to get our exercise and get out of the house. It won't hurt to get outside and get some fresh air!!
Old 03-20-2020, 05:50 AM   #144
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yesterday was the first regular yoga class I had to skip, so I did a couple of videos from my instructor's YouTube channel. It was a good workout! Not quite the same, but better than nothing, and a nice change of pace. (I mention it because there are plenty of workouts you can do via YT, all you need is a smart TV, a Roku, a computer, or even a smartphone.)

I just started, but I recommend MSUNN Yoga & Wellness and Yoga with Adreine.

What other workouts do any of you do at home? I know I've mentioned the elliptical machine a couple of times; I do 25 minutes most days, at a fast pace for most of it, but for 15:00-20:00 I go almost as fast as I can. Heart rate is ~130 during the easier part, ~170 during the fastest part.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:59 AM   #145
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
4 people sweating and breathing near each other in a small enclosed room where the virus can easily live on all hard surfaces, including the balls, paddles, floors, walls, doors, handles, lockers, benches, showers? Sorry, but that is just asking for trouble. Just don’t do it.
None of my business, but that sounds like it should be #9 on a top ten list of How To Catch The Virus
Old 03-20-2020, 06:50 AM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
What other workouts do any of you do at home? I know I've mentioned the elliptical machine a couple of times; I do 25 minutes most days, at a fast pace for most of it, but for 15:00-20:00 I go almost as fast as I can. Heart rate is ~130 during the easier part, ~170 during the fastest part.

This is a workout I do at home, multiple times a day even in BC (before Coronavirus) times, if I could not get to the gym or other outside activity:

Old 03-20-2020, 08:47 AM   #147

My gym closed Monday. Weather has been decent and next few days look real nice so getting outside is great. 2-3 mile walk every day. I put in some time on the exercise bike too but my bike is not as nice as the ones at the gym. Plus, I miss my gym for the variety - treadmill, bike, stepper, weights, etc.... Oh well. Is what it is. I will say for anybody not in shape this is a great opportunity to start a daily walking program. We all got the time now!
Old 03-20-2020, 09:09 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
As Ready and Avenger below point out, this is not good. Here's the thing: one reason this is spreading is too many people think they and their group of friends are special and somehow everyone is clear and safe.

You don't know that. That 1 person who is a carrier can easily infect all 20 of you.

Only 4 of us showed up last night and we played 8 games in 2 hours. Club was nearly empty and smelled very clean. Staff is wiping down all touched surfaces continually and all group classes have been cancelled.

All of that being said, I'll probably reconsider playing any more until the outbreak is contained. Just love the game (have been playing for 44 years) but it is not essential. Still hiking every day too....
Old 03-20-2020, 09:12 AM   #149
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
Just love the game (have been playing for 44 years)...
Wise move to stop for now and try to avoid "loving it to death".
Old 03-20-2020, 10:52 AM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
This is a workout I do at home, multiple times a day even in BC (before Coronavirus) times, if I could not get to the gym or other outside activity:

Wow, I liked it!!! I've just finished my 4 minute-exercise, and I'm a bit out of breath with the last one. Thank you!! I liked it because it's so short
Closed until EOM
Old 03-20-2020, 04:03 PM   #151
Recycles dryer sheets

Closed until EOM

Our gym sent out an email saying they were shutting down until 3/31/2020.
Personally I don’t think 14 days is long enough for a
quarantine on this with what they know about the virus living on surfaces, but time will tell.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:12 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by frances View Post
Our gym sent out an email saying they were shutting down until 3/31/2020.
Personally I don’t think 14 days is long enough for a
quarantine on this with what they know about the virus living on surfaces, but time will tell.
I mean, even without cleaning any virus would probably be gone in 3-4 days, but as long as they keep letting people in the gym will continue to be a possible vector.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:46 PM   #153
Dryer sheet aficionado

Our gym just told us yesterday they were closing the doors for now. I was there earlier in the day and took one of the disinfecting wipes to one of the barbell bars. It came back almost black. I picked up my towels that I had draped over the bench and left. That told me that they were not cleaning very well. It was after that we got the message saying they were closing for now. Unfortunately, that is also where we play tennis and pickle ball. Will miss those activities.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:12 PM   #154
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by denstl View Post
Our gym just told us yesterday they were closing the doors for now. I was there earlier in the day and took one of the disinfecting wipes to one of the barbell bars. It came back almost black. I picked up my towels that I had draped over the bench and left. That told me that they were not cleaning very well. It was after that we got the message saying they were closing for now. Unfortunately, that is also where we play tennis and pickle ball. Will miss those activities.
ewwwww. I think if it were me I would find somewhere else even after all this is resolved. There's no excuse for a black cleaning wipe in a gym that you're paying money for them to not keep their equipment up. Nasty.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:44 PM   #155
Recycles dryer sheets

All the gyms that accept Silver Sneakers closed in my area. I went until they closed taking all the necessary precautions of wiping down equipment and social distancing. Gonna concentrate on cardio now and walk/jog around my condo complex. Having a strong and healthy heart and lungs is most important to fight off any complications of this virus should any of us have the misfortune to contact it.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:46 PM   #156

I happened to sign up with a personal trainer just two weeks before this all started. My Gold's Gym was shut down last week on orders of the Governor. My last Personal Training session ended just an hour and a half before the State-ordered shutdown.

That session was a new routine that I could do at home. She sent me a second at home routine the next day, and a HIIT routine a day or two later. Before I left on my last session I scheduled to do a Facetime session with her. So I'll use that next week to make sure my form is correct on the two routines she showed/sent me.

Great customer service considering the circumstances.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Old 03-21-2020, 07:30 AM   #157
Recycles dryer sheets

I am amazed at the complete disregard for the dangers of this virus and the absolute importance of social distancing. Going to the gym would be my last choice and is inherently more dangerous. To me this is just begging to get sick and to then spread it around endangering others. Because of this attitude the government is going to have to force a complete shutdown and enforcement. Here in Hungary where we retired to, violating a slef-imposed quarantine now is a $1,500 EU fine. I saw in a village in Eastern Hungary a guy left his house u
while under quarantine and the villagers in the small village he lived in nearly beat him to death. We barely have the disease at all at this point but it is definitely coming and is rising steadily. The US is now in the logarithmic growth phase and is so far looking like it will be way worse than Italy. With an R0 of 3 this means every patient will infect 3 others and this includes mildly symptomatic patients. The virus is shed for 21 days so imagine tripling the infection every day if these people are running out and about and that goes on for 21 days. The numbers are staggering.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:41 PM   #158

The Florida governor ordered all gyms shutdown starting today (Saturday). So I was only a few days ahead of the gov't.

I ordered an exercise mat from amazon so I can better comply with the unreasonable demands of my new online aerobics instructor / dominatrix.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:27 PM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Gone for brisk walks the last 4 days in a row. Not a lot of sun out, in fact it has sprinkled at times. Temperatures in the mid 50s to around 60.

Not going as fast as on the treadmill but I am sustaining 110-130 bps according to my Apple Watch.

Been going for about 75 minutes, today was a little more, about 6 miles.

I would like to keep up the pace but I feel the strain on my lower back and legs.

Gym treadmillls don't put nearly the same strain, even though I get the bps up higher and for longer periods.

I looked at some treadmills online. Some of them tout how cushioned the belts are to absorb some of the show.

Going to keep walking to see if my body holds up for now.

Today I walked by a high school, saw big expanses of empty field. Also the track, which I believe would be easier on the body to walk on than the pavement.

All locked up.

I did walk through some parks with grass but they've not mown the grass so it's kind of wet and uneven, as my feet sink into some parts.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:30 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

My gym shut down this past week as well. I really miss it; I was there every day. I'm coping with a treadmill in my basement; I hate running but I crank up the speed and the angle and walk quickly "uphill" and I hope that's enough. I also got my TRX out of the closet and found some good upper-body exercises. I attach it to a door that has a deadbolt but still live in fear that the door will fly open and I'll land smack on my face or my back.
Closed Thread