Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Halloween 2020?
Old 10-11-2020, 07:34 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Halloween 2020?

We think NC has done a decent job of handling the pandemic.

The county we live in is not going to discourage trick or treating, they just offered unenforceable suggestions.

Not sure what we’ll do, you?

Quote:
Most notably, there is no guidance to not participate in trick or treating but the list does provide helpful information for doing so safely.
DO
  • Carve pumpkins and decorate your home with your family; drive around and check out your neighbor’s decorations as well
  • Host a virtual Halloween costume party
  • Make individually wrapped candy available or individually wrapped goodie bags
  • Wash your hands before and after preparing bags
  • Space out candy or goodie bags in a safe place outside, preferably 6 feet from your door
  • Wear your favorite costume and a cloth face covering to your favorite socially distancing restaurant with your family
  • Make and enjoy your favorite fall beverage and foods at home with your family
  • Create a scavenger hunt in your yard for your own children
  • Wear your favorite costume and have a Halloween movie night with your family.
DON’T
  • Host or attend large neighborhood pumpkin carving or block parties, haunted houses or festivals
  • Host or attend crowded costume parties or events
  • Participate in traditional trick-or-treating in crowded areas, self-selecting candy, or touching of candy or candy dishes
  • Go to crowded bars or restaurants that are not adhering to capacity limits, mask wearing or other COVID-19 safety guidance
  • Ask the bartender for a drink after 11PM
  • Host “trunk” or treat events
  • Substitute a Halloween costume mask for a face covering or exchange masks or coverings with anyone else.
  • Harris did not say these are hard and fast rules or that there would be any violations for not following the guidelines.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2020, 09:02 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

The last couple of years we have stopped buying candy to give out for Halloween.
Just not in the mood.
This year doubly so.
retire-early is offline   Reply
Old 10-11-2020, 09:06 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

On the 'don't' list is trunk-or-treat event. Our neighborhood is doing that for the social distance aspect. I wonder why they discourage it
skipro33 is offline   Reply
Old 10-11-2020, 09:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
On the 'don't' list is trunk-or-treat event. Our neighborhood is doing that for the social distance aspect. I wonder why they discourage it
Probably because the candy givers have to get within 6 feet of the children when handing out candy. And because children trick-or-treat in groups.
retire-early is offline   Reply
Old 10-11-2020, 09:14 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Normally we participate and enjoy doing so, but not this year.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:18 AM   #6

Trunk or treat is where kids go from car to car in a parking lot (I guess) to collect candy, instead of door to door. I've never heard of it until now.

DW bought candy (against my suggestion), and plans to put it in a bucket on the porch so we don't need to answer the door.

Usually we get so few kids, DW ands up eating the good candy (chocolate), and we throw out the rest. I just use a bunch of my limited resource willpower not eating the dang stuff
sengsational is offline   Reply
Old 10-11-2020, 09:26 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The Halloween costume association ( I am not affiliated) has an interactive map for your county and information for safe trick or treating:

halloween2020.org

The map is interesting and you can take a pledge.
We plan to have tape markers 6 ft apart on our driveway, the candy on a table on the deck with a bottle of hand sanitizer, and I plan to be sitting on a chair out on the deck to greet kids about 10 feet from the table. As long as the weaterth cooperates!
Otherwise, I will have a umbrella over the candy and I will be in the garage about 10 feet away.
We have tons of kids here, and I usually go through 3-4 large bags of candy. Bit I don't know what to expect, so I am being prepared.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:48 AM   #8
Administrator

We don’t normally participate in the door to door stuff, we leave the outside light off and the curtains closed. Our son however is the opposite and loves it. Last year he had so many trick or treaters he said he almost ran out of candy.

I don’t expect Halloween trick or treating to happen this year as we expect tighter restrictions to be announced tomorrow limiting the numbers allowed to mix outdoors (advisory) and indoors (mandated).

The same goes for Bonfire Night on November 5th when we normally walk down to the cricket fields to eat, drink and watch a fireworks display. I can’t see those events with crowds allowed in our area by then.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:51 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

DW is working on making tiny little bags right now.

We're going to place them on a table near the curb and hang out on the porch from a distance while the kids grab a bag.

This was one of the suggestions in the OP's original post. Same state, same list in our county.

JoeWras is offline   Reply
Old 10-11-2020, 09:57 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

So glad I live in an apartment with controlled access this year so I don’t even have to bother with trick or treaters! Or buying candy and dealing with temptation.

I do hope kids get to go trick or treating this year. Seems like it can be done in a low-risk way. As a kid, I would have been heartbroken if I couldn’t go trick or treating.
Poopycat is offline   Reply
Old 10-11-2020, 09:57 AM   #11

Quite a few people around here are planning to use "treat tubes".

Take a length of PVC pipe, or even just tape cardboard tubes from paper towel rolls together. Have the kids hold the end of the tube over their bag while you slide the treats down the tube. Social distancing made easy.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:04 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Quite a few people around here are planning to use "treat tubes".

Take a length of PVC pipe, or even just tape cardboard tubes from paper towel rolls together. Have the kids hold the end of the tube over their bag while you slide the treats down the tube. Social distancing made easy.
That sounds much better than testing your basketball skills
Old 10-11-2020, 10:08 AM   #13

Lights out here, not gonna hand out candy this year.

I thought about just putting out a bowl, but we already get enough kids that are too old to be trick or treating anyway, and left unsupervised, I imagine the bowl will get emptied pretty quickly.

There's a thread on my neighborhood nextdoor filled with enthusiasm and no mention of precautions, so I figure we'll just sit this one out.
Aerides is offline   Reply
Old 10-11-2020, 11:09 AM   #14

Sadly, lights out and won't be handing out any candy.

Over the years the kids have grown up and there are now very few. Out of 9 families on our cul-de-sac 6 have been here over 28 years.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:35 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

The last 10 years or so that we lived in the big city we'd turn off the lights and not give out any candy... Since we moved to the country it's not been an issue... Matter of fact, no one has ever knocked on our door "at anytime" in the ~15 years we've lived out here.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

There are quite a few young families with young kids in our new neighborhood, so we want to give out candy if possible. Last year it poured, so turnout was very low. I guess we'll wear masks and maybe keep a table between us and the kids who show. I kinda like the PVC tube idea though it might be tricky for the very small children, and they're the ones we most want to treat.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply
Old 10-11-2020, 12:34 PM   #17

I love the treat tubes idea! I was thinking of taping one of my tablet computers up outside, and starting a zoom meeting with that device and join the meeting with my laptop. Then I'd be able to put on some zombie makeup, and interact with the kids, ha! If the tablet camera included the end of the treat tube, I'd be able to make remote candy deliveries! I've got many feet of 2" PVC pipe...hmmmm.
sengsational is offline   Reply
Old 10-11-2020, 12:38 PM   #18

I enjoy seeing the little children in their costumes and they have always been well mannered. About 10 years ago I started handing out 100% fruit juice boxes instead of candy. The response was amazing. All the children (and parents) liked having something to drink as they walked the neighborhood and ate candy. Out of the many 100s of children over the years none were disappointed.

Sadly this year we will be turning off the porch lights due to the pandemic and hope for a safer holiday next year. I don't want to encourage the children to crowd together at the door and possibly infect another child and my wife and I need to be careful of our health too.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply
Old 10-11-2020, 03:03 PM   #19

Someone should publish a list of candy that's packaged in waterproof packages. I'm thinking of rigging something up to attach to the door but I won't bother if I can't figure out what candy comes in a washable wrapper.

...bags of chips should work
Boho is offline   Reply
Old 10-11-2020, 03:34 PM   #20

This year it’s lights off, curtains pulled and watching TV from the bedroom on the back of the house. I try not to participate in any optional activity that could cause even a single person to catch the virus.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply
Closed Thread