Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

1.4gal of hand sanitizer per person per WEEK
Old 03-30-2020, 08:52 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1.4gal of hand sanitizer per person per WEEK

A little early morning math:

There are lots of DIY hand sanitizer recipes floating around including one from the World "Health" Organization (WHO).
Sanitizer can be made with various alcohols: Isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) and ethyl alcohol (ethanol) are two popular ones.
Ethanol = grain alcohol... the stuff you get at a liquor store.
Ethanol in hand sanitizer needs to be 60-70% or higher (120-140 proof or more). Ex. Everclear is made in various concentrations from 120 to 190 proof.
Typically 10-15% of the gas you pump into your tank is ethanol. Ethanol is cranked out by the tanker car load all over the country but primarily in the mid-west.

With nobody driving much right now we should have surplus production capacity of ethanol. If the feds would lift the requirement to put it in gas tanks for awhile, all of it would be available as a disenfectant.
Per https://neo.ne.gov/programs/stats/inf/122.htm, in 2018 the US had a nameplate production capacity of 16,311 Million gallons of ethanol per year... mixed at 70% that's 63.8M gallons a day or right about 1.4 gallons per WEEK per man, woman, and child in the US. (yes... there are other considerations to factor in... this is just to get the idea across).

Add in every boutique distillery, moonshiner, craft breweries and maybe even home brewers (bathtub gin anyone?) should be able to provide enough alcohol to create a mister system at every grocery store entrance (not practical, but you get the idea). We could have gallons of it to disinfect surfaces, amazon deliveries, you name it. Fog the hospital buildings with it. Continuously.

Use your imagination. Instead of those construction hats with two beer cans mounted on the sides at a party, make a personal mister system spraying alcohol into your personal breathing space.
Wanna another use of the Defense Production Act? If the feds would forego the tax revenue (and society could put up with idiots drinking hand sanitizer), we should have enough sanitizer available to "flatten the curve".

"Cheers".
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2020, 09:07 AM   #2

I keep seeing stories about local distilleries converting themselves into hand sanitizer factories. Most of them are donating their production to hospitals or other facilities, but here's one that's selling at least some of their output: https://mcohandsanitizer.com/
Old 03-30-2020, 09:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
I keep seeing stories about local distilleries converting themselves into hand sanitizer factories. Most of them are donating their production to hospitals or other facilities, but here's one that's selling at least some of their output: https://mcohandsanitizer.com/
One of the local wineries is doing the same. BUT. They are selling it at $5.50 per OUNCE.
https://www.siabotanics.com/product/hand-sanitizer/
Old 03-30-2020, 09:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
One of the local wineries is doing the same. BUT. They are selling it at $5.50 per OUNCE.
That ounce won't last long. Better to stay home, wash your hands, don't touch your face and use the money for a six pack of beer.

Cheers!
Old 03-30-2020, 09:20 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
That's for the bright but austere dry white. You can get a nice sangria for just $2.00/oz.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:25 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^^^ Got my belly laugh dose for today.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:32 PM   #7
gone traveling

I think I used hand sanitizer for the first time in 5 years just yesterday, after going through a drive-thru take order. My wife used it, and I thought I might try it....now I remember why I don't ever use it, it stinks, it's cold, and it dried out my hands that are already dry/cracked from hard work.

Who sanitizes the public use bottle of hand sanitizer (the one everyone uses the same pump handle) ?
Old 03-30-2020, 02:35 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post

Who sanitizes the public use bottle of hand sanitizer (the one everyone uses the same pump handle) ?
No need - unless you touch the pump handle again after you sanitize your hands.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
IWho sanitizes the public use bottle of hand sanitizer (the one everyone uses the same pump handle) ?
From what I've seen, no one. Same goes for some of the self-checkout stations, and even the stores that do it don't always get every station disinfected before the next shopper checks out on it.

If a store has a motion-detected dispenser or single pull sheets, I may use those, otherwise personal bottle use for me.
Closed Thread