Has anyone here caught the Virus, or know anyone who has?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the problem is that once people show symptoms they probably already have infected others.

OK, a bit interesting... I was reading about some rich Mexicans who went to ski at Vail that got the virus and took it back to Mexico...

Well, my DW was talking to her Mexican friend and she says that her nephew had some back from Vail and had caught the virus!!!

My nephew's wife is a PA and now is sheltering in place as she was exposed to someone with the virus...

And the problem is that once people show symptoms they probably already have infected others.

The problem is if you test too early, there's not enough virus to be detected either. It has to multiply enough during the incubation period.

So, you have to do frequent testing of everybody without symptoms. Maybe once every week? There's not enough resource for that.

Social distancing and basic hygiene precaution cost less, but some people just don't care.

I learned recently that scarce medical masks are already wearing out, and quilters and needleworkers have been recruited to sew "mask covers" to try to prolong the life of each mask(It's not possible, alas, to sew actual masks, just covers).

Those horded masks could prevent a nurse or doctor from being taken out in this time of need. .

Social distancing and basic hygiene precaution cost less, but some people just don't care.
We're seeing some of that. People really don't care, or maybe more specifically, some don't feel better practices should impact them. There are some people in the grocery stores who act as if it's THEIR store and to get the hell out of their way. It's a small percentage of the people doing this, but it's still annoying.

My DW has had a moderate amount of allergies all her life. When we lived in California, we could drive from one part of the state to the next, and she would experience different allergies. As such, she's really aware of her surroundings in public when she needs to sneeze or cough.

DW also has an issue with germs and money. She worked in banking for 40+ years, early on as a teller, then in bank operations. She loathes handling money, knowing how dirty it is. She's been using hand sanitizer for decades, especially for when she handles money. So when the SHTF regarding supplies of hand sanitizer, she just pointed to the two 1L refill bottles sitting in our cabinet, purchased well before people started panic buying.

I was someone who rarely used hand sanitizer. I am also someone who rarely gets ill. That said, I've used more hand sanitizer in public the past two weeks than I had my entire life up to that point. People can change if they decide to do it.

A recent survey finds that 12.8% of Americans think they have COVID-19 right now :facepalm: It was surveymonkey so not a rigorous study, but come on.

https://www.studyfinds.org/national...-expect-theyll-be-diagnosed-with-coronavirus/

Survey asked if they are "afraid" that they "might" have it. So, they may be afraid of that possibility and not actually think they have it. I had a sore throat last night and this morning, and was afraid of the possibility, but I didn't jump to that as being the most likely. I still don't know, but it's a known early symptom, and I have no allergies or other symptoms of a cold.

I keep sanitizer in my car trunk so that I can sterilize my hands before getting back in the car. It really sucks having to sterilize all the groceries. I would hate not having sanitizer at home and work. I have a decent supply, but I haven't seen it in stores in weeks. I was at a couple grocery stores yesterday, and they didn't have much for meat. Walmart had paper towels and PT back in stock, with a limit of 1 per custom.

I saw 1 person wearing a mask at each store. I tried to stay as far away from everyone as I could and would turn away as people passed. I was a little closer to the checkout clerk that I would have preferred (and no self checkout)

Last edited:
I was someone who rarely used hand sanitizer. I am also someone who rarely gets ill. That said, I've used more hand sanitizer in public the past two weeks than I had my entire life up to that point. People can change if they decide to do it.

I have used more sani-wipes at the grocery in the last 2 weeks than I have my entire life.

Not sure it helps anything. We will see.

Okay I'l bite. Shouldn't you keep a couple of masks and donate the rest of them to the hospital?

You needed none in the past 6 months, so good chance after this is past you can get them again when you need them again. Those horded masks could prevent a nurse or doctor from being taken out in this time of need. I'm just saying...

I keep hearing about being out of masks, but I see a bunch on Walmart online although I don't know if they come from China or what. They look like they're close to $1 a piece, so maybe all the cheaply priced masks are gone?

From Medscape:
"New data from the CDC suggest that adults of all ages can suffer severe COVID-19 disease. The data show that 20% of deaths were in US patients aged 20-65, and 20% of hospitalized patients in the United States were between 20 and 44 years old, as reported by MDedge on Medscape."
Meaning those over 65 are way more at risk.

Okay I'l bite. Shouldn't you keep a couple of masks and donate the rest of them to the hospital?

You needed none in the past 6 months, so good chance after this is past you can get them again when you need them again. Those horded masks could prevent a nurse or doctor from being taken out in this time of need. I'm just saying...

I don't think any hospital will take some random masks that might be past expiration.

From Medscape:
"New data from the CDC suggest that adults of all ages can suffer severe COVID-19 disease. The data show that 20% of deaths were in US patients aged 20-65, and 20% of hospitalized patients in the United States were between 20 and 44 years old, as reported by MDedge on Medscape."

That is significant for a group that for many within it think they are invulnerable to COVID-19, but I've been hearing more about the seriousness of this disease for younger people as things have progressed.

Sorry to hear.

As much as we all want to know if we have it, I’m not sure there is any point in sending them off to get tested. There is no treatment for COVID-19. If a person can’t breathe on their own they will need a ventilator. But they would need that regardless of what infection is causing it. Sending them to a hospital may only make them sicker, especially if they don’t have it but end up getting it at the hospital.

There is a lot of supportive care besides assisted ventilation. Just plain oxygen supplementation, IV fluids if one can’t drink enough (some COVID-19 patients have GI symptoms). Also, clinical trials are being considered for a number of antivirals.

Testing can also be helpful in determining when one is no longer carrying the virus, very important when quarantining.

And it is possible that those who have recovered not might be able to donate their antibodies through plasmapheresis and help save the lives of others. There is already a consortium of hospitals gearing up to do just that, but they need federal help with research dollars. Doctors are actively looking to develop effective treatment, even in the face of being overwhelmed.

Here in Baton Rouge a couple hospitals are accepting homemade masks. Some locals are making and donating them. You do what you gotta do in times like these.

Here in Baton Rouge a couple hospitals are accepting homemade masks. Some locals are making and donating them. You do what you gotta do in times like these.

That shows desperation. But how do they know if the makers and donors are virus free?

And how do they know if it even works? Still better than nothing, I guess.

I heard the mother of my SIL was knitting or crocheting some masks. I immediately blurted out "but you can poke your finger through it".

It turned out that her plan was to line it with Kleenex. Oh boy. What is happening in this richest nation? It's sad.

A guy who teaches with me at my college (we teach the same course) was one of the first confirmed cases in NYC. I found out about him TWO WEEKS AGO which feels like a lifetime now. He’s in his mid-60’s and was hospitalized. Haven’t heard how he’s doing.

I've seen this too.

Maybe they have a UV box to sterilize them in :confused:

Yes, just saw that on the news yesterday. They briefly showed it. They are doing what they have to with the limited supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom