Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 04:04 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I played virtual on-line poker last night with a guy in New York City that is positive and has been in quarantine for 9 days. Since it was virtual we were talking rather than texting. He said his symptoms were bad in the first several days but in the last few days he’s been feeling better but is still under quarantine. For how long, I don’t know.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2020, 04:09 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just got a text from a friend whose grandson is under testing protocol. He was negative for flu, so they gave him the Covid test yesterday. So tests are out there and available, at least around here.

Here's the downside though. It will take until Friday to get the results and he and the family are under strict quarantine until the result comes in. So my friend made a trip here to visit and now cannot.

Old 03-17-2020, 04:12 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
It's unconscionable that our vaunted system of scientific research failed so miserably to get these test kits produced. In contrast, it's amazing what other counties like South Korea were able to do: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/12/asia/...hnk/index.html
It's not science, it's logistics. Our "vaunted system of scientific research" didn't fail. Our pathetic medical logistics let us down.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Old 03-17-2020, 04:15 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
As I look at the map today, I see that West Virginia is still the only state with no known cases. Wonder what they're doing right? Even Wyoming, with only a third of WV's population, has three cases.
Oops...

Quote:
Coronavirus is now reported to be in all 50 US states after West Virginia confirmed its first case Tuesday .

West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice announced at a news conference Tuesday that the state had a case of coronavirus.
In other news, our primarily rural county also announced our first case today.

And on we go...
Old 03-17-2020, 04:18 PM   #45

In Virginia. My son-in-law who is military told me Monday, a guy on base who had been with a team that was deployed with a stop in Italy tested positive. Don't know how that is being handled regarding contacts since they keep mum on most things.

I don't know anyone personally but was told today Rite Aid shut closed today in our little city as someone there was being tested. Don't know how long they will be closed.
I tend to believe we have many more cases and don't know it due to the test kit situation. Hopefully that will resolve itself soon.

Dr. Birx with the Task Force stated today that the WHO test kits were throwing out false negatives and false positives, hence their decision to create their own.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:20 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

10 days ago we had our first positive test in our area. A person who had returned from Italy. There have been 2 more travel related cases so far. No community spread, yet. I keep expecting it to spread, but so far, we are lucky...
Old 03-17-2020, 04:26 PM   #47

My MIL was admitted to the ER yesterday with all of the signs of COVID-19. They gave her a test and said it would be two days to get results. She is 85 years old so we are concerned.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:35 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
Dr. Birx with the Task Force stated today that the WHO test kits were throwing out false negatives and false positives, hence their decision to create their own.
This is one theory one why some people were apparently catching it a second time. They really weren't. The test was having issues giving true positive/negative.

Old 03-17-2020, 04:36 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post

How is it every other country is testing daily, thousands (our relatives in Italy) and we test how many?
Since I have a background in this I have been following when I have time.

US has tested approximately 32,000. Testing started January 18 at 4 tests and went above 3,800 per day March 12 (most recent complete data). So testing has increased significantly

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ing-in-us.html

As previously reported Thermo Fisher already shipped some of their 1.5 million inventory and Rouche reports capability of 400,000 tests per week.

Back of napkin calculations:

The infection numbers have been very low in US due to number of tests completed in the US 1 in 50,000 vs South Korea 1 in 6,000 people infected.

US currently has 6,200 infections confirmed. Granted the US has a population 6.5 times larger than S.Korea, therefore with SK currently at 8,320 we would expect US to be at 54,000 to be equivalent based on population differences. If we use Italy we would be at 205,000 infected.....(adjusting for population differences).

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
ordered via infections per 1,000,000 people the far right column.

Please check the numbers did this quickly but the main points are there.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:13 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

My grandchildren's God Mother had a busy week at a well-known ski area which was shut down Friday. During this trip she visited friends and a family from South America. She returned last night, stopped by her office because no one was in to pick up some papers. She has had a dry cough for about a week, doubtless has the virus. Contact tracing anyone?
Old 03-17-2020, 05:25 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
This is one theory one why some people were apparently catching it a second time. They really weren't. The test was having issues giving true positive/negative.
I'm seeing different versions of this. Some are saying that Dr. Birx was wrong today; that it was the CDC tests that were throwing off false results, not the WHO test kits--which the rest of the world was/is using. "The initial [CDC] tests didn’t work, and officials are probing whether there was possible contamination."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...uRttAfvuL_16x0
Old 03-17-2020, 05:31 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
Community spread confirmed, and 24 new cases in my county announced today. One of whom works at my (large) employer.

I personally have mild flu-like symptoms, but nothing worse.

I don't personally know anyone (that I know of!).
So maybe you have it
Old 03-17-2020, 06:45 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
As I look at the map today, I see that West Virginia is still the only state with no known cases. Wonder what they're doing right? Even Wyoming, with only a third of WV's population, has three cases.
Oh, it finally caught up with WV. There's a case in the Eastern Panhandle, which of course is where we live. About two weeks ago I had a follow-up visit with an oncologist for past melanoma and she was certain it was here but just unknown for lack of testing. So DW and I were pretty sure it was here but just not documented. Now it is.

We did a bunch of errands today and DW has an orthopedic doc appointment tomorrow, but after that our calendar is clear until I'm due for the second Shingrix shot in mid-May. So we'll keep to ourselves for quite a while.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:47 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
.... She has had a dry cough for about a week, doubtless has the virus. ...
"Doubtless"? C'mon people, get a grip. She may have it, hopefully not, but a dry cough and contact with groups hardly rises to the level of "doubtless".

No fever? No shortness of breath?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...Fsymptoms.html

-ERD50
Old 03-17-2020, 07:01 PM   #55

My son may have had it. He had high fever, aches, cough. They tested for strep (negative) and sent him home. A week later still had the fever, they tested for flu (negative). The fever broke on day 8.

The next day tests started being done for people with the symptoms who had *not* been out of the country w/in 14 days.

He's better now. But we treated him like he had it. Disinfecting everything he touched. Keeping him in his room so he wouldn't breath on us. Practiced social distance within our house.

Another teen in our community (my son doesn't know him) was told by the ER doctor that he probably had it - but couldn't be tested because of the criteria.

In the meantime - in the 5 days since they started testing people with the symptoms - our county has 60 cases. I expect that number to increase as testing is more available.

To quote the hashtag that is happening in Italy... #Io resto a casa. (#I stay at home)
Old 03-17-2020, 07:05 PM   #56

I do not have it and I do not know anyone that has it. I know a few of people who are panicking and think they have it. My one sister keeps taking her temperature because she's convinced she has covid-19. She's starting her seasonal allergies but this year the allergies have morphed into covid-19. Funny when she takes her allergy meds her symptoms disappear.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:10 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I do not have it and I do not know anyone that has it. I know a few of people who are panicking and think they have it. My one sister keeps taking her temperature because she's convinced she has covid-19. She's starting her seasonal allergies but this year the allergies have morphed into covid-19. Funny when she takes her allergy meds her symptoms disappear.
She's found the cure! Hurry, call the CDC, call the local news, call everyone!

Ok, sorry, I know this isn't the "CV humor" thread, but I just had to!

-ERD50
Old 03-17-2020, 07:46 PM   #58

ERD50, Now if she would only practice social distancing instead of hanging out with her friends comparing notes. Instead of staying home she was walking around our little town complaining that the sidewalks were crowded due to the schools being closed.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:56 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

One woman was telling others, near me, rather smugly, that "our county has no coronavirus." I asked, "Do you know how many people in the county have been tested to be sure?" She looked at me as if I just dropped in from Mars.

Turns out, she did not realize that governments only report confirmed, tested cases. She just assumed they somehow just "know" who has it and doesn't....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
No one in our area or circle of friends has. .
Old 03-17-2020, 08:01 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
"Doubtless"? C'mon people, get a grip. She may have it, hopefully not, but a dry cough and contact with groups hardly rises to the level of "doubtless".

No fever? No shortness of breath?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...Fsymptoms.html

-ERD50
Allergy season is on us, and many people suffer from dry cough.
This is why making a diagnosis is tough, and even more so if you are just considering one symptom.
Closed Thread