Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 08:11 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
So maybe you have it
That is entirely possible, yes.

I am not inclined to jump to that conclusion, but I am treating my situation as if that is the case. Self-quarantining, in other words.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2020, 08:17 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

My neighbor's best friend lives in Indiana. The best friend's son has a girlfriend who worked closely with the first person who died from the coronavirus in that state.

The girlfriend is sick now. She passed it on to the son, his sister, who then passed it on to his mother and father. The mother has asthma and went to the Urgent Care. They immediately sent her to the hospital to get tested. Results expected tomorrow.

Her friend said she has never seen anything like this. She said her lungs feel like they are on fire. Everyone has fever. The son has a severe sore throat. All have painful lungs. That's exactly what my neighbor said. The mother was sent home. I'll know more tomorrow.

They all believe they have it due to the girlfriend working closely with the person who died.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:37 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Don't know anyone yet, but the bottom line is the USA numbers are probably way under reported due to still the lack of widespread testing. Doesn't really take a genius to figure out why.......
Old 03-18-2020, 04:41 AM   #64

DH told me last night that one of his many Facebook friends from school (long ago) is sick in Oregon with classic symptoms including shortness of breath, but can’t get tested due to lack of known contact history. It is incredibly stupid. She is self quarantining but what if she gets very ill?
Old 03-18-2020, 04:55 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

A girl I knew growing up was one of the first to have it on Long Island. She is 54 with no underlying medical issues. She believes she got it during a trip to Florida.
A quote from her-
"Speaking Saturday after using an inhaler, her voice was strained but not hoarse. A recurring fever, which leads to shortness of breath, is the most problematic symptom for her."

“I call those my episodes,” she said.

She is home from the hospital now but kept separated from her son and husband.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:34 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't know if we had it or not,but my wife works in healthcare and is exposed to different things all the time. Late Jan/early Feb she got a very bad case of flu like symptoms with a heavy emphasis on cough. I don't recall if she ran a fever. It was the worst case of flu like illness I've seen either of us get in the entire time we have been together (7 years). I also got a nasty case of the same thing from her after.

I am not saying we had COVID-19, but we both look back and wonder based on what symptoms are and how we were at the time compared to previous years. Plus her exposure in a healthcare setting and our daughter in daycare? Who knows.

My wife is of the belief it has been among us for a while and it is more likely than not she will contract it than not based on her line of work.

It is what it is. At this point we are laying low. We are late 30s for what its worth. Because of that I have a ton of anxiety around the economic fallout of this. I am not sure my employer will make it. Hoping the news turns positive sooner than later. This all makes me glad we spent the last several years paying off debt and building up some savings.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:38 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
DH told me last night that one of his many Facebook friends from school (long ago) is sick in Oregon with classic symptoms including shortness of breath, but can’t get tested due to lack of known contact history. It is incredibly stupid. She is self quarantining but what if she gets very ill?
She does the same thing people who tested positive do... go for more aggressive medical care..
Old 03-18-2020, 05:40 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
That is entirely possible, yes.

I am not inclined to jump to that conclusion, but I am treating my situation as if that is the case. Self-quarantining, in other words.
Good for you for staying home but in our state 97% of the actual COVID tests come back negative. most likely you have a cold.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:19 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Good for you for staying home but in our state 97% of the actual COVID tests come back negative. most likely you have a cold.
DW and I were discussing this. Self isolating if you have a cold or flu is also a very good thing. Let's kill the flu and cold going around along with this so our medical pros can concentrate on the pandemic.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:22 AM   #70

I've been wondering what the ultimate goal is, but assuming it is just to delay the spread such that our medical care infrastructure can accommodate those that are very ill or until there is an effective vaccine. If that is the case, then I'm guessing that, short of shutting down society for months or years, most of us will ultimately become infected. Is that how this plays out? Once sufficient numbers have been infected and recovered then the immunity of the herd will rise and the infection rate will drop off. Or are some holding out hope that the disease can be stopped entirely?
Old 03-18-2020, 06:27 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
I've been wondering what the ultimate goal is, but assuming it is just to delay the spread such that our medical care infrastructure can accommodate those that are very ill or until there is an effective vaccine. If that is the case, then I'm guessing that, short of shutting down society for months or years, most of us will ultimately become infected. Is that how this plays out? Once sufficient numbers have been infected and recovered then the immunity of the herd will rise and the infection rate will drop off. Or are some holding out hope that the disease can be stopped entirely?
"Flatten The Curve" is your answer. The genie is out. Slow it, and hopefully catch half the curve with the vaccine. I've heard no authorities say they can stop it. Not possible unless everyone from your UPS driver to your doctors stay at home for 3 weeks.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:42 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Still normal around here, sometimes I think we forget there are 350+ Million folks here in the USA. Not that I am a fan on the way things have been handled and communicated to us, I think sometimes certain folks blow things up out of proportion to make others look bad.... JMHO, I could be wrong.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:13 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
No one in our area or circle of friends has. I
Costco was another story, the line to get in was so long we did not even bother to stop, we do not need them that bad. Amazes me how folks panic.
Yea - the number of people at our local Costco stores was huge also. I just walked in and walked out immediately. People were loading up carts beyond full capacity and oblivious to the guidelines of social distancing.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:33 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
I probably know many who have it, but there's so little testing here, I don't know. Our major hospital got 50 test kits. So, I treat everyone as if they have it. I'll smile, nod my head so not to be rude, but keep my distance.
It's amazing that federal government is so slow of proving (or deploying) corona-virus tests readily for the masses given the news of the breakout back in the December.

We are staying home because of so many closures, e.g, stores, community centers.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:36 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
It's amazing that federal government is so slow of proving (or deploying) corona-virus tests readily for the masses given the news of the breakout back in the December.
You mean the CDC didn't play perfect hero like I've seen in all the outbreak and contagion movies?

No they didn't. Nothing like the movies. Disappointing.

At least the CDC has let control go and is allowing state and local to do their own testing now using private lab tests. Let's hope the million per day being manufactured are actually efficiently distributed.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:40 AM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
You mean the CDC didn't play perfect hero like I've seen in all the outbreak and contagion movies?

No they didn't. Nothing like the movies. Disappointing.

At least the CDC has let control go and is allowing state and local to do their own testing now using private lab tests. Let's hope the million per day being manufactured are actually efficiently distributed.
This must be "the walking dead" version of the CDC.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:03 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

So some of the NBA teams are getting private testing.

Four Brooklyn Nets were positive.

Quote:
“Of the four, one player is exhibiting symptoms while three are asymptomatic,” the team added in a statement. “All four players are presently isolated and under the care of team physicians.”
A lot of people are carriers and don't know it. We need more testing. I'm not going to pooh-pooh our members here who are suspicious of their own status. They just may be right.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:09 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
"Flatten The Curve" is your answer. The genie is out. Slow it, and hopefully catch half the curve with the vaccine. I've heard no authorities say they can stop it. Not possible unless everyone from your UPS driver to your doctors stay at home for 3 weeks.
They can't stop it and as you said, "the genie is out".
Has anyone here read the Imperial College COVID19-Response Team study of GB and the US with the modeling projections?
I'm not sure whether to post the link or not. It's a very sobering article. Probably not anything we don't already know but it does give predictions on the success of the interventions. Should I post the link?
Old 03-18-2020, 08:18 AM   #79

oh Well...Here is the link. Mods you can delete it if you think its' best.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...5tyzsV0PBzBLrU
Old 03-18-2020, 08:20 AM   #80

We are self isolating, have not seen family or friends in over 10 days. Out walking in the fresh air and grocery shopping only. As the numbers increase, why would self isolating for 14 days work? We still don't know if you can get this twice as humans have no antibody immunity. As numbers increase, I'm thinking we'll self isolate for a lot longer.

To develop antibodies, you have to be exposed. A vaccine could well be outdated by the time we get one.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Closed Thread