Here’s Hoping the Peak is Apr 15!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My simple, uneducated guess is that the economy will be gradually opened up when states can no longer afford to pay the massive unemployment bills, regardless of where they are on the curve.
That will definitely be one of several factors. Evidently some states are already having trouble meeting their expenses, and that will only get worse. Similarly, several businesses around us that closed entirely citing community responsibility, have re-opened after a few weeks with conditions, presumably realizing their business would not survive with zero revenue and some unavoidable fixed expenses. That also pressures business more with each passing week.

The people who suggest we act to minimize coronavirus cases/deaths without any regard for other consequences are naive at best. Job 1 for now, but not the only consideration.

A question for any constitution scholars out there.

Have family in Utah so read the news there to keep updated. Utah has lots of cases of COVID, less then some and more then others. They announced they are going to use the EMS system to track everyone in a car that enters the state. Your phone will then notify you that you must go to a state website and and fill out your "papers" as in all kinds of intrusive questions such where have you been and where are going,etc. Oh and they'll also just ask you if you feel unwell and/or have been exposed to COVID. The problem with this is of course you can lie if you want to.

They are tracking you for no other reason then you crossed a state border, they already have the virus in the state.

I keep flashing back to all the WWII movies where the bad guys board the train and ask the good guys. "your papers please" I can't you tell how much privacy we all lost after 911.Is this even constitutional? Where is the end for this stuff, some posters here are kind of agreeing with putting old folks in their own homes until the magic vaccines shows up. Our civil liberties are the founding principle of this country and I'm not talking about sitting home for a few weeks, I talking about people thinking any of this is OK for the long term.

Many states and localities have taken advantage of the booming economy to raise spending to very high levels. They have also raised taxes to support these levels of spending. In my area just one mass transit issue raised property taxes, car tabs and the sales tax.

Now, the chickens may come home to roost. Without out a vibrant economy to generate the healthy tax revenues to pay for all this stuff...... We'll see what happens. The 'gubmint' is going to have to reduce their fair share of spending and that ain't going to be easy for them.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the legal system comes up against reality. I agree there will be legal challenges but I have to say businesses are being forced to close now, whether they like it or not. Look at Hobby Lobby in Ohio, for example.

A question for any constitution scholars out there.

Have family in Utah so read the news there to keep updated. Utah has lots of cases of COVID, less then some and more then others. They announced they are going to use the EMS system to track everyone in a car that enters the state. Your phone will then notify you that you must go to a state website and and fill out your "papers" as in all kinds of intrusive questions such where have you been and where are going,etc. Oh and they'll also just ask you if you feel unwell and/or have been exposed to COVID. The problem with this is of course you can lie if you want to.

They are tracking you for no other reason then you crossed a state border, they already have the virus in the state.

I keep flashing back to all the WWII movies where the bad guys board the train and ask the good guys. "your papers please" I can't you tell how much privacy we all lost after 911.Is this even constitutional? Where is the end for this stuff, some posters here are kind of agreeing with putting old folks in their own homes until the magic vaccines shows up. Our civil liberties are the founding principle of this country and I'm not talking about sitting home for a few weeks, I talking about people thinking any of this is OK for the long term.

I cannot imagine how tied up courts are going to be in the coming months. So many issues have been brought to light through this ordeal, and much of the law as we know is sure to chance. How many people knew about or even read force majeure clauses in their contracts before this?

And if people stop staying home, cases will increase.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...aFLDB4B4fwcN6NqAHcAAAKOd9tzPe-9W7cCJpi20y3_7g

Q. How will we know when it is safe to discontinue stay-at-home orders?

A. That's a great question, and I think the serologic surveys [to see if people have been infected and have antibodies] will be critical in doing that, because that's a necessary piece of the puzzle to understand how many people have been infected. The second piece, once we have those serologic studies, is figuring out how protective immunity is. We don't know whether it will be possible to distinguish someone who is functionally immune from someone who has an immune response that's not that protective. We hope that it will be possible. But that's an open scientific question right now.

Q. How long will it take to answer that question?

A. I hesitate to say this, because I understand that it's economically and otherwise not really acceptable, but from the standpoint of trying to keep cases under control, I don't see an answer coming until at least the next month or two about it being okay to reopen. There may also just be so much fatigue that places will try it, and then they'll see the consequences. … Waiting until the ICU is overwhelmed again is not a good policy. It is a disastrous policy.

"Who can think of kissing a stranger, jumping on to a bus or sending their child to school without feeling real fear? Who can think of ordinary pleasure and not assess its risk? Who among us is not a quack epidemiologist, virologist, statistician and prophet? Which scientist or doctor is not secretly praying for a miracle? Which priest is not — secretly, at least — submitting to science?" --Arundhati Roy

Is that Scott Gottlieb? His roadmap was developed at the AEI, and can be found here https://www.aei.org/research-products/report/national-coronavirus-response-a-road-map-to-reopening/

What perplexes me is that politicians at the state and federal level are not using their news briefings to articulate a strategy. It appears to be a lot of 'whining and winging it'. Scott Gottlieb's roadmap is a good start!

Equally frustrating is that the national media is not holding elected officials to articulate and deploy a cogent strategy. Instead, national and global media seem to be literally 'chasing the ambulance' and following the 'if it bleeds it leads' article of faith for the media outlets. This is not news - it is tripe. The only thing this reporting does is wake up a few of the ignorant who have thought Covid-19 was just the flu.

Developed nations with institutional democracies and liberal media are not supposed to be hand wringing week after week at a time like this! What a half a$$ed approach by our institutions.

There, I feel better for ranting.

Last edited:
This is a new virus and many, many unknowns, so yes some are
'winging" it.
Social distancing works, if it is stopped too soon, infection rates come back. It is a difficult decision when you have so many unanswered questions. Scientists around the world hopefully are working together to come up with some answers.
I want my answers from the scientists and medical professionals, not the politicians.

I think the ire at the media and states is misdirected. Instead of expecting states to figure out 50 strategies why don’t we see a real Federal Strategy instead of daily gut reactions. Everyone from the medical community to the media to the AIE mentioned above agrees we need a robust testing infrastructure. When are we going to see a coherent national plan to achieve that? Hoping for a hydrochlorazine miracle doesn’t get us anywhere.

Why on earth would you put off changing the oil in your vehicle? You you can get the virus from oil??

I was referring to taking your vehicle to a mechanic.

Change my own oil? Huh?

Just kidding. I used to do that. Long ago.

My truck has skid plates on it that make getting to the oil filter "problematic". Much easier with the truck on a lift, and even then I don't want to do it.

So, don't know if you are being playful here, or just making a comment like "You you can get the virus from oil?" to stir things up. As an aside, not sure what "You you" is supposed to mean (maybe this is me stirring things up).

Peace.

Why on earth would you put off changing the oil in your vehicle? You you can get the virus from oil??

Cars have oil. Oil stops squeaks. Squeaks come from bats. Bats started the virus.

Need I say more?

I was referring to taking your vehicle to a mechanic.

Change my own oil? Huh?

Just kidding. I used to do that. Long ago.

My truck has skid plates on it that make getting to the oil filter "problematic". Much easier with the truck on a lift, and even then I don't want to do it.

So, don't know if you are being playful here, or just making a comment like "You you can get the virus from oil?" to stir things up. As an aside, not sure what "You you" is supposed to mean (maybe this is me stirring things up).

Peace.

Just being sarcastic/pet peeve of mine. As a hardcore DIY'er. My wife says "I washed my car today." and I say "so did YOU wash your car? Or did you sit in it while it was pulled through a car wash??" {it's always the latter}.

Changing the oil in your vehicle vs. Having the oil in your vehicle changed.

Sorry, looking for entertainment in quarantine.... and thinks for the typo flag....

Sorry, looking for entertainment in quarantine.... and thinks for the typo flag..

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Couldn't resist.

Sorry, looking for entertainment in quarantine.... and thinks for the typo flag..

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Couldn't resist.

I'm going to pretend that I did that in purpose. No, yeah, I did do that on purpose. Yeah. I did, glad you enjoyed it.

{now proofread before you hit "submit reply"}

We have to have a little humor once and awhile during all this...otherwise we would want to cry.

I'm going to pretend that I did that in purpose. No, yeah, I did do that on purpose. Yeah. I did, glad you enjoyed it.

Glad you are not offended. And thanks for the witty reply.

I did that in purpose. ... {now proofread before you hit "submit reply"}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom