Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Holiday Shopping
Old 10-29-2020, 06:54 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Holiday Shopping

Black Friday has always been a huge event for the kids and me. We don't get up at crack of dawn. But we go out for a nice 5-10k (turkey trot with costumes), hit a few stores / people watch, finished up with a late lunch, and back home to figure out how to turn leftovers into dinner. We can't do with this year obviously. Is anybody else missing Black Friday? No stores, shopping online isn't fun, and now they've canceled the turkey trot (5-10k race)

FWIW I only give gifts to the 3 youngest grandkids, others get monet
gayl is offline   Reply
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2020, 07:57 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

DH runs a race the weekend before THanksgiving every year. Its a 50 miler in MD. Big races, widely attended and its across varied terrain so it puts you one wide at parts on the Appalachian Trail. Its not an ideal scenario in that people come from nationwide, mix in a huge auditorium for a prebrief, run butt to nut breathing heavily, HIGHLY congested aid stations with spectators/helpers/ children/volunteers thats a complete zoo. A few shared portapotties for a thousand people plus volunteers etc. And then at the end you go into another big gymnasium for food/shower/medical aid. And then they pile you back into school buses to drive back to the start to pickup cars. This is a professionally managed race the director works on yearround (Im sure off and on, not ALL THAT much to do yearround if youve planned it 10 times before you know exactly what to do).

ANyway, it has NOT been cancelled much to my dismay. THe race is now in what 3 weeks? And theyve announced the following: runners will be wearing masks at the start/finish and aid stations, oh and by the way, we are selling race masks. THat appears to be the entirety of their covid plan they have released thus far. THey have been "Finalizing the details" for a couple weeks but thats as much as theyve put out for public consumption. Im incredibly disappointed that a pro organized race is still holding this massive event, and this is the extent of their comms and safety plan this close in. I cant imagine how they are able to get the permit from the App Trail and the other canal trail (and frankly the town(s)) to have an event of this magnitude. All i can think is the amount fo hotel stays and meals that wag this dog are looking pretty attractive for the towns involved. And the race director doesnt want to refund his salary.

SO to answer your question, yes the disappointments just keep rolling in. DH has decided much to my sadness (and pleasure simultaneously) not to run it this year. It has been a tradition for him far longer than being married to me has been. But we just dont trust the planning therefore execution of this event in the covid world we live in
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply
Old 10-30-2020, 08:35 AM   #3

Many of the retailers are starting Black Friday sales early.
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/m...almart-target/

Walmart itself is closed all day Thanksgiving Day unlike in days past.
retire-early is offline   Reply
Old 10-30-2020, 09:04 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
DH runs a race the weekend before THanksgiving every year. Its a 50 miler in MD. Big races, widely attended and its across varied terrain so it puts you one wide at parts on the Appalachian Trail. Its not an ideal scenario in that people come from nationwide, mix in a huge auditorium for a prebrief, run butt to nut breathing heavily, HIGHLY congested aid stations with spectators/helpers/ children/volunteers thats a complete zoo. A few shared portapotties for a thousand people plus volunteers etc. And then at the end you go into another big gymnasium for food/shower/medical aid. And then they pile you back into school buses to drive back to the start to pickup cars. This is a professionally managed race the director works on yearround (Im sure off and on, not ALL THAT much to do yearround if youve planned it 10 times before you know exactly what to do).

ANyway, it has NOT been cancelled much to my dismay. THe race is now in what 3 weeks? And theyve announced the following: runners will be wearing masks at the start/finish and aid stations, oh and by the way, we are selling race masks. THat appears to be the entirety of their covid plan they have released thus far.
So fat, old guys on motorcycles aren't the only ones who don't fear this virus? Fit, lean, health oriented people will do their own version of what went on in Sturgis. Good for them. Maybe between the two groups we will build some significant herd immunity. Wonderful. I am so happy.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply
Old 10-30-2020, 09:07 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
DH runs a race the weekend before THanksgiving every year. Its a 50 miler in MD. ...

SO to answer your question, yes the disappointments just keep rolling in. DH has decided much to my sadness (and pleasure simultaneously) not to run it this year. It has been a tradition for him far longer than being married to me has been. But we just dont trust the planning therefore execution of this event in the covid world we live in
Ah, the JFK 50 miler. I have heard a lot of complaints about the RD's salary. Last I heard he got $60K, to put on a race that as you say there's not all that much to do. No doubt that he doesn't want to cancel and endanger his golden goose.

I do see a few other more changes, like wave starts, no indoor access before the race, and no spectator/crew access until mile 27. Packet pickup is TBD but my guess is it will be outside too. Still the buses to take runners back to the start though.

IMO this is not enough to hold a race of this size but such calls usually come down to local officials giving permits or not. I think your DH is making the right call to skip it.
RunningBum is offline   Reply
Old 10-30-2020, 09:11 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire-early View Post
Many of the retailers are starting Black Friday sales early.
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/m...almart-target/

Walmart itself is closed all day Thanksgiving Day unlike in days past.
Black Friday is more a state of mind than a time period. It started with Amazon Prime Day. From what I understand, thanks to very high shipping delivery fees being charged from Thanksgiving to Christmas, expect to pay higher prices for anything purchased after about mid November. Especially if it is delivered and not picked up at the store. The best Black Friday deals are now and the next two to three weeks. So say the ''experts'.

FWIW, I just ordered a Christmas gift from Costco. No point in waiting.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply
Old 10-30-2020, 09:24 AM   #7

Speaking of shipping, the USPS has temporary holiday rate increases Oct 18 - Dec 27.
I only know of this because I have a free account with PirateShip which lets me ship using Regional Box B and Regional Box A and Cubic.

Not sure about UPS or FedEx

Anyway, the USPS increases ---
First Class packages: 25 cents/package
Priority Mail (including Flat Rate, Regional Rate, and Cubic): 40 cents/package
Parcel Select Ground: 40 cents/package
Priority Mail Express: $1.50/package
retire-early is offline   Reply
Old 10-30-2020, 09:39 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I have not done the "black Friday" thing in years. Usually shop at the mall mid December. This year, all online. So far all the grandkids stuff is on order and being delivered this week and next.
Easy peasy! May do this from now on, although I may miss going to the mall and people watching, along with looking at the festive decorations.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:54 AM   #9

I haven't done in-person black friday shopping since 1999 or 2000? It was not remotely fun, but my threshold for shopping has never been huge.

A few years ago I decided to avoid visiting any mall from before thanksgiving until at least 12/27. Being retired I can get all that out of the way well enough before the holidays, or online.
Aerides is offline   Reply
Old 10-30-2020, 10:20 AM   #10

My holidays shopping will be mostly online... Same as every year. I dislike shopping in person and rarely go to the mall.

This year's shopping theme is comfy clothes. The whole family is "nesting" with social activities virtual, so pajama pants and sweats are favored and I can find his I gifts in this theme.

Don't like black friday crowds in healthy times. Definitely don't like them during a pandemic.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:58 AM   #11

The last time I went to a shopping mall was 2015. Covid will not be a factor in my shopping.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Black Friday has always been a huge event for the kids and me. We don't get up at crack of dawn. But we go out for a nice 5-10k (turkey trot with costumes), hit a few stores / people watch, finished up with a late lunch, and back home to figure out how to turn leftovers into dinner. We can't do with this year obviously. Is anybody else missing Black Friday? No stores, shopping online isn't fun, and now they've canceled the turkey trot (5-10k race)

I'm not much of a shopper, and I avoid Black Friday like the plague (or more aptly, like Covid). You can still go out and run the turkey trot course in costume, even if it's just you and your immediate family. Maybe go a little later than the crack of dawn and you'll provide some joy for anyone who happens to see you.

Lots of races here have gone virtual. Some are encouraging people to go out and run the actual course at a time of your choosing and send in a selfie, others are sending swag to anyone who registers and just encouraging people to run/ride the same distance around their own neighborhoods.
cathy63 is online now   Reply
Old 10-30-2020, 11:14 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
SO to answer your question, yes the disappointments just keep rolling in. DH has decided much to my sadness (and pleasure simultaneously) not to run it this year. It has been a tradition for him far longer than being married to me has been. But we just don't trust the planning therefore execution of this event in the covid world we live in
I know it’s hard to let go of relished traditions, but we are in the middle of a raging pandemic, and so it’s better for people to re-examine yearly traditions and make judgement calls about whether they are safe, or how to modify them if possible to make them reasonably safe. Sounds like a great call on your DH’s part, and perhaps he can find something safer to do, even if he has to do it alone.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
..... You can still go out and run the turkey trot course in costume, even if it's just you and your immediate family. ....... Lots of races here have gone virtual. ...... just encouraging people to run/ride the same distance around their own neighborhoods.
I'll check out 'virtual' but at this point we'll probably just go up Mt Diablo or out Black Diamond trail (both 5 miles and we don't drive there). It's just not the same. No one in costumes. Still missing it
gayl is offline   Reply
Old 10-30-2020, 11:23 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post

We only do Black Friday online and are delighted to avoid crowds. This year everyone has to get creative about their cherished traditions.

We’ve been quite content - I guess we aren’t bound by family traditions as much as many folks are.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:00 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I'm actually wondering if I'll do any kind of holiday shopping this year. I already spent my birthday alone (I did bake myself a chocolate cake, woohoo), and I'll probably spend Christmas alone as well since we're back in lockdown and family get-togethers are forbidden. It will only make 2020 that much more memorable.
FIREd is online now   Reply
Old 10-30-2020, 12:34 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't done black friday in person for years. I actually try to avoid all in person shopping between Thanksgiving and New Years just to avoid the crowds and chaos. Bah humbug!

I feel bad for the people who are missing things, but I'm actually relieved to have less pressure to do a lot of holiday stuff that I dread.
geeky_grrl is offline   Reply
Old 10-30-2020, 01:29 PM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I'm actually wondering if I'll do any kind of holiday shopping this year. I already spent my birthday alone (I did bake myself a chocolate cake, woohoo), and I'll probably spend Christmas alone as well since we're back in lockdown and family get-togethers are forbidden. It will only make 2020 that much more memorable.
A belated Happy Birthday

Not much shopping for Christmas planned here, and none planned for in-person at a mall or city center. It will be ourselves and our son.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Good for you! I like the way you think.

I am single and live alone, and my birthday is Christmas Eve, so I will be ordering a small chocolate cake for myself. I will have to eat it all myself - thanks, Covid!

I have posted elsewhere that the local members of my extended family have been mixing and mingling with dozens of friends without taking any precautions since June, so I am fine with spending the holidays alone. My retirement date is 12/31, and I intend to enter the new year and my new retirement life healthy, without any worry that I might have picked up Covid because I got together with people. There's always next year for that, god willing.

Edited to add: re holiday shopping, I only buy gifts for two teenagers, and always do/did so online, even before Covid, so that won't change this year.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:32 PM   #20

Yes they announced those additional changes the day after my post. They wanted to keep it close hold as long as possible I guess bc why arm ppl with info so they can make decisions well in advance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Ah, the JFK 50 miler. I have heard a lot of complaints about the RD's salary. Last I heard he got $60K, to put on a race that as you say there's not all that much to do. No doubt that he doesn't want to cancel and endanger his golden goose.

I do see a few other more changes, like wave starts, no indoor access before the race, and no spectator/crew access until mile 27. Packet pickup is TBD but my guess is it will be outside too. Still the buses to take runners back to the start though.

IMO this is not enough to hold a race of this size but such calls usually come down to local officials giving permits or not. I think your DH is making the right call to skip it.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply
Closed Thread