How has the pandemic changed your life in positive ways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EastWest Gal

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have found some resilience in this pandemic experience.

I decided to grow my hair long earlier than planned.
I learned how to color my hair at home.
I learned how to successfully cut mens' hair.

I studied Italian for awhile.
I'm trying to learn to play oboe.
My house is cleaner and much more organized.

I saved money for travel in the future.

So what positives have you experienced in this unusual year?

I got back into building model R/C airplanes, the ones made out of balsa wood and some bass or spruce for things like wing spars.

DW learned how to cut my hair, no more barbershops.

We both learned to appreciate even more that the other is an introverted homebody. Some people are "climbing the walls" we didn't notice much difference.

Saved some money by not going to restaurants, although it wasn't much since we didn't dine out that often anyway.

I've been an avid fitness person for 20 + years, but I became even more so in the last year. Heck, not much else to do!
Became a better Bridge player; lots of competitive online opportunities.
DW and I learned to appreciate home cooked meals again.
Took off an additional 4 pounds.
Rediscovered the oh-so-delicious taste of bacon, even if I do limit myself to about twice a month.

We had just moved to another city, and have not met many people in our new community. So there's been little social life.

We're doing the same things now as before essentially. Other than I run from people in Walmart that get too close. And we go very seldom to any big box stores or grocery stores.

We just have too much time to look at the internet now.

In March 2020 I started calling my mom daily, instead of just every couple of weeks. She lives in another state. It changed both our lives for the better, and we are now much closer as a result. I regret not doing more years ago - I was just busy and wrapped up in my own life - but it took COVID for me to prioritize what really matters.

Saved monies due to lack of travel and less entertainment, but not sure I would call this a positive experience.

I called my 90 year old mother everyday (sometimes when things were bad, I called her twice a day). I recently got to see her in person and she told me how much those calls meat to her.

Really got into biking

Learned to play chess and am getting to be a decent player

Figured out how to stop getting sick so much. DH is immune compromised and normally caught every bug going around and usually gave it to me. For this past year we have not been sick at all--not even sniffle. We can't isolate forever but we do plan to continue to wear masks in crowded indoor places going forward and no hand shaking!

I became very proficient in Zoom. :)

I had a great time early in the pandemic organizing a team for an ad hoc PPE response. Even got a couple newspaper articles out of that.

Now volunteering with some great people for a local covid testing and vaccination effort.

I'm learning Spanish. Just recently passed 365 consecutive days on Duolingo.
My woodworking shop has been completely reorganized and updated.
We still have a weekly Zoom call with DW's family in another state.
DW and I ride bikes together more often, just to get out of the house.
I now have a ponytail, since I won't let DW cut my hair.
We sold one of our cars since we never drove it and prices were sky-high.
Also sold our last rental house at a ridiculously high price.
We are very close to pulling the trigger on purchasing a Class B camper van.

On the negative side...

We've both put on a lot of weight.
Other health-related metrics are going the wrong way.
DW is struggling with the lack of travel and social interaction. She's an extrovert.
Pandemic-centric news and politics have created a fair amount of anxiety and stress.

We spent considerably less which helped boost our savings.

I've used Zoom to reconnect with friends and family I hadn't seen or spoken to for many years.

We had a Zoom 90th birthday party for my mother with about 50 people, many of whom wouldn't have been able to attend had we done an in-person party as originally planned.

I've seen how very adaptable we all could be at work as we frequently had to change our policies and workflows to adjust for seeing potential COVID patients every day. I also learned and got comfortable seeing patients with our telemedicine system.

1. Like others, I learned how to cut my husband's hair, and it's kinda fun! Every once in a while, I do say "oops!" But his hair grows fast.
2. I've been practicing yoga at home (DVD), which I never had the discipline to do before.
3. My husband now participates in menu planning and has learned a couple more dishes, which makes cooking 3 meals a day much easier.
4. Covid forced us to self-cater on our road trips instead of relying on restaurants, and we've been enjoying these frugal journeys.
5. We've been hiking in state and national parks instead of flying out of the country. I have such appreciation for the natural wonders of the U.S. now.

- Eating healthy home cooked meals. Feeling better & lost weight
- Connected with long lost family members on my Dad’s. Side
- Lot more Get togethers with friends/family on Zoom
- While fitness has always been important, now have weight set at home
- Got back on my roller blades
- Reduced expenses
- Dedicated more time to my community volunteer project
- A lot more walks in town
- Spent as much time as I could sitting outside on the patio with one or two friends sitting six feet apart enjoying a beverage and conversation.

*Learned to cut DH hair
*Expanded yard for bigger garden
*More frequent contact with siblings via text and Zoom (but can't wait until we can actually eat in a restaurant together again)
*Getting better at creative cooking with what's on hand and using leftovers (more so early on when I never knew what groceries would or would not be available!)
*Became better at meditation and stress relief
*Enjoyed daily walks or drives with DH
*Being an introvert, forced "at home" time more was enjoyable and not a burden.

Saved monies due to lack of travel [-]and less entertainment,[/-] but not sure I would call this a positive experience.

+1

Two of our 20-somethings moved back in. Family became closer and more harmonious.

DS1 flipped all kinds of gym gear in the early going - made some money and left us with a very upgraded home gym and he started doing some personal training of people shut out of gyms with several positive results.

I upgraded some computer things to facilitate Zoom teaching and it has resulted in a much better setup for doing the bit of consulting work I do.

We spent much more time at the lake which is incredibly beautiful and rejuvenating.

Spent more time out walking and being happy to see many others out walking as well compared to pre-Covid.

I learned how to successfully cut mens' hair.

DW learned how to cut my hair, no more barbershops.

1. Like others, I learned how to cut my husband's hair, and it's kinda fun! Every once in a while, I do say "oops!" But his hair grows fast.

*Learned to cut DH hair

While I also learned how to cut DH's hair, I have no intention of continuing it post-pandemic. Sending him off for a <$20 cut, and getting out my hair for the hour is well worth it, plus all that hair all over the bathroom, the clean up - nope!

Ok so:
I'm closer with my sister. We used to get together every few months for dinner/happy hour something, but soon after things shut down we started meeting each other on fridays on our patios, for a glass of wine, outdoors, and it's become a weekly thing.

I made a home gym. I love it and use it far more than I ever did a pay-gym, and never have to wait for equipment, and get to pick the music.

I finally got the incentive to put in a pool. While it's taking longer than I would like, I've always wanted one but when things closed down I decided it was time.

ETA: no colds or flus or other bugs - neither of us has had any illness of any kind.

Last edited:
We spent less and took better care of our home & yard, but I wouldn't call it a net positive - we lost (much) more, especially socially. We maybe learned to better appreciate some things we were taking for granted as well. But we're more than ready for this to be overwith!!! I'm hoping we can return to some semblance of normal again this Fall.

My favorite leather chair in the coffe shop by the fireplace is always available.
Not sure how long they can stay in business.

But we're more than ready for this to be overwith!!! I'm hoping we can return to some semblance of normal again this Fall.
AMEN! I do have great hopes for this Fall, but we'll see. I am encouraged that some states are beginning to open up, and I guess that by summer we'll be hearing about how that went for them. I think every state on the Gulf coast is either opened up or has plans to open up, except Louisiana. :(

Back to the original topic - -

I don't see any advantages to living in a pandemic. Some people say I'm the reincarnation of "Pollyanna, The Glad Girl", but I don't think even she could be glad about all this. Preferring any aspect of pandemic life seems downright insane to me!.

Well OK, maybe one. What about this? I ate through almost all of the canned foods in my pantry. :sick: Some of those cans were nearing their expiration dates. So now my pantry has newer items in it. Whoopee.

Nothing really.
Yeah, what he said.

DD and her husband had a quarantine baby. Our grandson is the best thing to come out of COVID

I cut DH’s hair just today! I’ve gotten quite fast at it even using scissors. I learned to hold the scissors and comb in one hand. Sides and back I use clippers, but scissors on the front and top. I get it nice and even - that’s about the best I can do, but it actually looks fine.

For me I learned to do bangs. I’ve just let the rest get long because I don’t know how to deal with it.

I’ve avoided my neighbors for a year.

I got a new smoker shortly before the pandemic. I’ve had a chance to try a lot of different cuts of meat. We were eating at home mostly anyway, but we’ve splurged more on good eats during the pandemic.

It took a while, but our exercise room is really great now.

We discovered that a pandemic level of socializing is just right for us.

It turns out living in a resort area is idyllic when only county residents are allowed to go to the lake.

We now play chess online regularly

Discovered DH is a most excellent companion when the world is freaking out

I did a lot more art which I never seemed to have time for before

Our dogs now insist on really long walks

We upped our meal prep game and I got some super good kitchen knives that make all that prep a breeze. Discovered you can cut yourself and not know it until you see blood.

Last edited:
I haven’t had a cold since early January 2020. Usually I get 4 or five colds per year. This is a positive change.

We have spent less this past year, but that is not a positive change. We have been unable to travel which we dearly live. No more lunches with friends! Even home improvement projects have not been done since we haven’t allowed anyone in the house. I am looking forward to spending on things I enjoy.

I haven’t had a cold since early January 2020. Usually I get 4 or five colds per year. This is a positive change.

We have spent less this past year, but that is not a positive change. We have been unable to travel which we dearly live. No more lunches with friends! Even home improvement projects have not been done since we haven’t allowed anyone in the house. I am looking forward to spending on things I enjoy.

Same for me about no colds--or any other sickness. What do you plan to do to remain cold free? I am planning to continue to wear a mask in crowded indoor situations. I don't mind wearing a mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom