Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 05:00 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

I like how some museums and organizations are offering programs and presentations over Zoom. Before, many of these would have required driving a good distance to attend, and then driving back home at night. I hope they continue to offer these online even post-pandemic.

Otherwise not much has changed for me.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2021, 05:35 AM   #42

I've been isolated, but still having some contact with people. Mostly people who were also alone.

I got into cooking more, and I would drop off meals to my two aunt and a few older friends who were alone.

I got into riding my bike longer distances with a long time friend.

I had beers at a distance on my nice outdoor patio with a few different long time friends and neighbors.

I had my biking friend over for a few dinners on my outdoor patio. I hate making a nice meal, and then eating it alone.

I'm now a couple with my biking friend. I wasn't expecting that. She claims I cassaroled her with good meals, drinks and bike rides. Funny. I really like her, and we seem to be getting along great. WTH.

Maybe we both would have been too busy prior to the pandemic.

Enjoy your lives. JP
Old 03-08-2021, 07:30 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
I've been isolated, but still having some contact with people. Mostly people who were also alone.

I got into cooking more, and I would drop off meals to my two aunt and a few older friends who were alone.

I had beers at a distance on my nice outdoor patio with a few different long time friends and neighbors.

I had my biking friend over for a few dinners on my outdoor patio. I hate making a nice meal, and then eating it alone.

I'm now a couple with my biking friend. I wasn't expecting that. She claims I cassaroled her with good meals, drinks and bike rides. Funny. I really like her, and we seem to be getting along great. WTH.

Enjoy your lives. JP
Ah, love during the pandemic...very sweet
Old 03-08-2021, 07:40 AM   #44

Have a few positives that have come to pass from the pandemic and the lockdown.

Both my kid brother and I now have a standing date with Mom every Tuesday. Wife has the same standing weekly date with her Dad. Both parents needed a little TLC and now getting it.

With the travel lock down and no where to go, wife got both knees replaced.

And another positive, our monthly spending is way under budget ... so with that surplus we were able to fully fund youngest daughters university tuition and living expenses for graduate school. She will graduate debt-free as a nurse in May!

The list of those annoying little odd jobs on our home is getting tackled.

With a daily workout on the schedule and no eating out, my weight is way down and fitness is much better.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:10 AM   #45

One rarely gets the opportunity to truly reduce suffering or save a life because if you personally don't take action, someone else or some other intervention will fill the void. Even though my actions have made no difference, I did get the opportunity to help my family in this way, and I consider that the most positive thing that would not have happened without the pandemic.

At the time, when there were no vaccines, and the standard of care was "stay home and get really sick before coming to the hospital to get oxygen and maybe survive", I built Covid cocktail packs with ivermectin that I ordered from Mexico (where it's OTC) and other vitamins, based on the I-MASK+ protocol. So I got these kits to my immediate family, and although nobody used them, and all will probably just gather dust, simply having the opportunity was a plus. In this case, the alternative standard of care was ineffectual, and the kits, although discounted by the powerful groups, were, and are, being championed by front line clinicians. Even if a kit was used, I'd never know if it really did reduce suffering, which made the project even more satisfying.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:31 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

For me the positive things out weight the negative stuff.

1. I have not been sick since March of last year just the nagging allergies.
2. I know how stay busy by myself alone and keep my brain busy
3. I appreciate life much more and want to move to a very simple life style
4. I no longer miss the restaurant meals or activities that involve lots of people

My new way of seen life is to keep simple and stay away from most folks.
How has the pandemic changed your life in positive ways?
Old 03-08-2021, 08:42 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How has the pandemic changed your life in positive ways?

The enforced downshifting has provided an opportunity for many small and large “resets” toward the essentials - and a year of interesting haircuts. [emoji139]*♂️
Old 03-08-2021, 10:49 AM   #48

Several positives for us:

My daughter and I go to the (outdoor) gym together 4 days a week. One of the benefits of SoCal living - we’ve only been rained out twice in 6 months. The workouts have been productive, and we have great conversations on the drive to and from.

DW and I have taken up hiking, and do at least 1 longer hike every week. We have tons of top-notch options in our area, and it’s been fun to explore and find new trails.

We eat out much less often than we used to, and our standards have gone up. We’ll probably continue to eat out less frequently when this is all over.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:41 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
One rarely gets the opportunity to truly reduce suffering or save a life because if you personally don't take action, someone else or some other intervention will fill the void. Even though my actions have made no difference, I did get the opportunity to help my family in this way, and I consider that the most positive thing that would not have happened without the pandemic.

At the time, when there were no vaccines, and the standard of care was "stay home and get really sick before coming to the hospital to get oxygen and maybe survive", I built Covid cocktail packs with ivermectin that I ordered from Mexico (where it's OTC) and other vitamins, based on the I-MASK+ protocol. So I got these kits to my immediate family, and although nobody used them, and all will probably just gather dust, simply having the opportunity was a plus. In this case, the alternative standard of care was ineffectual, and the kits, although discounted by the powerful groups, were, and are, being championed by front line clinicians. Even if a kit was used, I'd never know if it really did reduce suffering, which made the project even more satisfying.
Reading your post reminded me that I also did something that helped other people--around my area I am known as the Vaccine Finder because I have helped many people (even some on this Forum) find vaccine appointments. This made me feel good about myself.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:41 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post

Enjoy your lives. JP
Glad to hear you've found a friend! Not easy at our age.

My positives have been:
Finally bought a good elliptical since I still refuse to go to the gym.
Finally bought a hot tub.
Saved a ton of money.
Cut back on the demon rum intake. Unfortunately, the village workingmans bar is not going to reopen. The owners age and the shutdown have killed it forever.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:01 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

There is nothing positive about being in lockdown caring for a dementia patient
Old 03-12-2021, 04:11 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't have to attend social events. Big big plus.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:18 PM   #53
Dryer sheet aficionado

We moved!
Downsized from a 4 bedroom with a large yard to. 3 bedroom townhome. No grass to cut, who hoo!
Lived in 3 different Air BNBs in different parts of the city.
We cancelled the cable TV, best thing ever!
I was re-deployed as an Occupational therapist to working in an FDA lab making COVID testing swabs with 3-D printers. Another role to add to my “I did that list.”
And I have developed an different attitude regarding what is really important in life.
Learned Dividend Stock Investing
Old 03-12-2021, 04:23 PM   #54
Dryer sheet wannabe

Learned Dividend Stock Investing

I just celebrated one year as a dividend stock investor. In the last year I have slowly bought 12 positions at $5K each for a total of $60K invested. As of today the portfolio is worth $86K and generates a little over $2k per year in dividends or 3.4% yield on cost. It's been a fun and profitable year
Old 03-12-2021, 04:32 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkarmann View Post
My sympathies!! How totally dreadful. Hang in there and know we care.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:53 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

We are grateful to have discovered that other people will do our shopping for us for free! We started with groceries online. Then discovered Walmart will shop for, and deliver right to my 87 year old mothers porch. For $20 a month they would even come in and put things away for her! Ace hardware, Lowes, Home Depot all just bring my orders to my truck now.

And no flus, colds, or contagious viruses this year. Usually we get quite a few during the year because our ski resort is a giant petri dish.

In Montana we had already arranged our lives to social distance. But this is even better. We have good reason to get out of the rest of it now too. More time for fishing and skiing and the outdoors we love.

Cars have become almost unimportant. I save a bunch on fuel and preventative maintenance. I’m not even changing over from winter to summer tires anymore. Just not enough miles to even justify that.

By mid April we will have been fully vaccinated and will resume a few activities we have been unable to do. Training with our personal trainer at the gym, and in person bluegrass lessons.

Overall we have sailed through this. No big deal.
Old 03-12-2021, 05:52 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkarmann View Post
Oh wow, so sorry. Care to share any info and talk about it here?
Old 03-12-2021, 06:03 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Made a killing changing up investments.

Got a sweet deal on a piece of property because of 'COVID' panic.
Easy to get a table at a restaurant.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:40 PM   #59

The absolute best thing that has happened is that I now have a standing weekly date with Mom (80 years old) on Tuesdays, rain or shine. We cook together, or go over financial stuff, or go on a leisurely walk, or just sit and chat. Our relationship has always been strong but is even better now.

My lovely wife has the same weekly date with her Dad (96 years old).
Old 03-12-2021, 07:38 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

We bought a new SUV at a good price for my wife. We were at a car dealer in March 2020 on the day the DOW had dropped over 1,000 points and the news was full of COVID panic stories. The dealer's television was blaring out the alarm while we negotiated the price.