Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 07:57 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkarmann View Post
There is nothing positive about being in lockdown caring for a dementia patient
Sorry to hear that. Is there someone who can give you a break from time to time?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2021, 08:11 PM   #62

actually other than being locked down at our RV resort in AZ last march for 6-weeks and not going out to movies our lives have pretty much been the same as pre-covid. once we were home we still had friends over on our deck for lunch and dinner, went out occasionally to restaurants that stayed open, did in-person grocery and other shopping, with one exception kept in-person doctor and dentist appointments, etc. we do the mask thing when asked or required. so on the positive side we were 90% business-as-usual and, like many others our net worth has gone up.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
Old 03-13-2021, 06:26 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

The pandemic/lockdown has served as a test over the past year on whether being at home more would cause DW & I to get on each other's nerves when we retire.
I've mostly worked from home these past 12 months, and I'm happy to report that our relationship has actually deepened as a result of being together more, which is a huge relief as we look to RE in 2021!
Old 03-13-2021, 06:30 AM   #64

I was a good cook before the pandemic, but I took it up a notch with so much time at home and eating at home. I learned a few new recipes that are keepers. I also got better at being stocked with groceries at all times. Sometimes I slacked on this but it's nice now to have full pantry.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:35 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Same as most, being even more homebound even though we are already homebodies (when we are not traveling) has let us learn some new skills, or have time to do something that we keep postponing.

My wife learned to cut my hair, though she butchered it up the 2nd time she did it. The 1st time was successful, and she got complacent. The bad haircut upset me quite a bit, even though I am not a vain person, and it was a good thing I did not have to go out much until my hair grew out. She is getting better, and I have had the 4th haircut.

My wife finally learned to bake French bread. Occasionally, the dough does not rise, and it still puzzles her.

I devoted much time to upgrade my DIY solar+lithium battery storage with more solar panels and more lithium cells. Spent a lot of time to monitor its operation, and tweak different parameters here and there in order to minimize the power we draw from the grid. Improperly used, lithium cells can explode, or in the least harmful way, get ruined.

I spent more time to help my wife with gardening. We were finally able to grow and harvest some tomatoes. Also have been eating a lot of snap peas, although both the tomato and pea cultivating still have some unknown secrets that we have not discovered, because we are sure that the results are suboptimal despite us being able to harvest some results.

I spent time to put down planks and shelves in the attic above the garage, in order to have room to walk and to reorganize the "stuff" I stored up there.

There's so much to do around the house that we have been neglecting. I will never run out of things to do.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-23-2021, 09:43 AM   #66

Morning walks and daily time spent on my laptop is mostly the same. Time on laptop might actually be up, mainly due to a complete lack of other options. We go out almost exclusively for groceries. Anything else, even if it's open, is more risk than reward. So no Barnes&Noble, malls, Apple Stores, rock climbing at an indoor gym, eating out at restaurants, drinking w/ friends at a bar, concerts, etc. Those are all the things we used to do that have been ruled out due to COVID.

I value things more that I may have taken for granted before, but only because COVID took them away. That's like finding a silver lining when a loved one dies.

Conclusion: the pandemic has had NO positive changes for us...
Old 03-27-2021, 10:08 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

The pandemic has made us more appreciative of our good health, the things we have, the experiences we have had, and those we will have.
Old 03-27-2021, 10:53 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
The pandemic has made us more appreciative of our good health, the things we have, the experiences we have had, and those we will have.

Besides the above, I look forward to simple things in life and the usual B.S does not bother me any more, just think of be happy and done with it!
Old 03-28-2021, 09:00 AM   #69

A lot less traffic back in Spring of 2020. That was nice.
Old 03-28-2021, 11:17 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
A lot less traffic back in Spring of 2020. That was nice.
Living in a college town the traffic here is still way down and it seems like the traffic is still down on the interstate. That's a benefit.
Old 03-28-2021, 12:43 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Early in the pandemic we decided to get serious about decluttering and simplifying. Sold AS travel trailer and tow vehicle. Consolidated financial assets, took all extra clothes, linens, blankets, pots and pans to Goodwill. Emptied out storage unit via giving away or donating.

We are now using our time, energy and resources to create memories with each other and family. Regular Sunday bunch with kids and grands; planning a family trip to Gulf coast in May and week long stay at a resort in Maine later this summer when everyone is post-vaccine.

Our pandemic motto was and will likely remain: memories, not stuff; less is best; consolidate/simplify and use it or lose it.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:24 PM   #72

Nothing positive for me. It’s only disrupted my means of entertainment, dining out, travel, excersize and socializing. All negative. I suppose doing a few teledoc visits that save me from waiting in a doctors waiting room and traveling by car to the appointment would be one small positive.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:48 PM   #73

1. My wife and I have gotten through it so far in sound physical and mental health.
2. Because of our limited ability to spend during the pandemic, we have bridged most of the stretch from retirement to first Social Security payment with modest withdrawals from retirement accounts. We should have only 10-12 months where we are taking at a 4% per year rate.

Can find little else positive about it, especially with the huge (and continuing) negative impact of COVID on the lives of younger people, and the number of people we know who have died (of COVID and otherwise) without the normal rituals and events of mourning.
Closed Thread