Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 02:12 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

One of the most detailed (hopefully that correlates with accuracy!) sources of information was Consumer Reports of all places:

"Wash produce with soap and water. Because COVID-19 is from a family of viruses very likely deactivated by contact with soap and water, washing your fruit and vegetables with soap and water should eliminate any live virus, says Rogers. What's more, rubbing fruit and vegetables under running water—and scrubbing those with hard skins—can help remove pesticides."

"But Rogers says there's no data to show that COVID-19 is spread by consuming food. "The risk of getting the virus from your food is considered low," he says."

"For hard-skinned produce, scrub skins or peels with a soft-bristled vegetable brush, using dish or hand soap and warm water. For other types of produce, including leafy greens, soak in soapy water for 10 to 15 minutes, then rinse thoroughly."

"Other steps may not make much difference. For instance, buying frozen vegetables rather than fresh under the assumption that they’re packed in a more sanitary way is not an approach that has been backed up by evidence, says Rogers."
https://www.consumerreports.org/food...cery-shopping/
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2020, 08:59 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clover5 View Post
Attachment 34232

This is what we use in Mexico, it’s sold everywhere. The brand name is Microdyn and it contains colloidal silver which is totally tasteless and non toxic.
Most of the gringos I know in Mexico use that stuff. Unfortunately it is about as effective as a water rinse. The things you really want to avoid can only be killed by a bleach solution.

"The NIH study evaluating Mexican vegetable contamination found that the silver colloid based disinfectants (like microdyne, biodyne, etc) lowered fecal coliform (pooh bacteria) counts, but did not eliminate them, and these same silver colloid products did not remove salmonella typhi risks in any samples. They found that bleach-based disinfectant solutions** were effective against all three major families of microbial contaminants tested (killing fecal coliforms, salmonella, and various pathogenic mesophillic microorganisms)."

Salmonella Food contamination in Mexico

(don't skip the comments section - good info there as well)
Old 03-21-2020, 09:36 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Went to grocery store yesterday. Fresh fruits and veg stocked as usual. Very busy, heads down, self check out pretty busy. I wore surgical gloves then took them off after, sanitized hands. How far does one go? Store workers actively stocking shelves. I can't get hung up on every single thing I touch has the virus. My mental health has to stay in check too. Here's an article from March 13 about fresh fruits and vegs.
https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/rele...ip-nation.html
This article suggests acquiring the disease from food is not proven, but I'm taking precautions. I like the Consumer Reports approach, as it seems more thorough.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:44 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
This article suggests acquiring the disease from food is not proven, but I'm taking precautions. I like the Consumer Reports approach, as it seems more thorough.
Excellent article in Consumer Reports. This is the author's background. I'm sure her research is well done.

Tobie Stanger
I cover the money side of home-related purchases and improvements: avoiding scams, making sense of warranties and insurance, finding the best financing, and getting the most value for your dollar. For CR, I've also written about digital payments, credit and debit, taxes, supermarkets, financial planners, airlines, retirement and estate planning, shopping for electronics and hearing aids—even how to throw a knockout wedding on a shoestring. I am never bored. Find me on Twitter: @TobieStanger
Old 03-21-2020, 06:49 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's an article where the quoted expert increases the time the virus can live, say, on the skin of a banana from 72 hours (per Consumer Reports) to 4 days.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a...=IwAR1bLK2mIfD
Old 03-21-2020, 07:42 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wash every apple I eat with soap and hot water and scrub with my hands. Have for years. They taste fine
Old 03-22-2020, 07:26 AM   #27

I bought a case of wine yesterday and dunked each bottle in a bleach solution in the sink. Dixonge’s article indicates I should have let it soak 5 minutes.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:12 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
I bought a case of wine yesterday and dunked each bottle in a bleach solution in the sink. Dixonge’s article indicates I should have let it soak 5 minutes.
Seems like that should be effective for any sort of glass or sealed plastic packaging. But honestly, unless you're planning on drinking the wine within the next few days, an equally effective method would be to set the bottles aside for at least 72 hours. From what I've read, the virus cannot live much beyond that on hard surfaces like stainless steel, plastic, copper, etc.

For cold items that need to be stored in the freezer, decontamination by washing with soapy water or bleach solution does seem necessary, since the virus can remain stable and viable for much longer than 72 hours in a sub-zero environment (ref. the post by @EveryLady a few days ago in the thread).
Old 03-24-2020, 09:17 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Dish soap!

I’ll wash our veggies as I normally do. Somehow I’m not concerned about catching COVID-19 from fresh produce.
I don't have to worry about it as my grocery store had no bananas or apples this morning. No dish soap either. Fortunately they did have beer, milk and bread. So I can survive! They did have a bunch of frozen crap I wouldn't normally eat but bought it anyway.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:51 AM   #30

Our farmer's market had apples on Sunday. I washed them with a touch of soap and left them on the counter to dry. WOW, they are good! I am shocked that they had apples at all, much less good ones! Now I'll have to go back next week and get a lot more! (Everyone except one or two people were very good about social distancing, and it was open enough that I didn't have to work hard to avoid those people, although it was irritating.)
Old 03-24-2020, 05:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
Our farmer's market had apples on Sunday. I washed them with a touch of soap and left them on the counter to dry. WOW, they are good! I am shocked that they had apples at all, much less good ones! Now I'll have to go back next week and get a lot more! (Everyone except one or two people were very good about social distancing, and it was open enough that I didn't have to work hard to avoid those people, although it was irritating.)
Reminds me of the scene in Soylent Green (scifi movie) where Charlton Heston eats all but the stem of the apple.
Closed Thread