I expect to come down with coronavirius, so to plan ahead for that ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mrs. Troutnut and I don’t think it is inevitable, and we don’t plan on getting it before they have a cure or vaccine. We live in the middle of nowhere and have practiced “social distancing” as a way of life for 30 years. No way will the virus leap out of a car on the highway, sprint 100 yards up our driveway, break into our home, and infect us. To get it, we have to do something pretty stupid, impulsive, selfish, and self-centered. And we don’t intend to do that in our mid sixties with other risk factors.

In our youth, we lived in the big city, and bought our groceries day by day, or week by week, so we understand that. But our rural life demanded better planning. We have lived through many natural disasters where we were stuck at home without services for several weeks. And the nearest Costco run is an all day trip in good weather. So we evolved. We didn’t need to hoard anything because we don’t make an all day trip to Costco to buy a weeks worth of stuff. And weather here makes that trip impossible much of the year.

It takes a long time to learn to be prepared all year long. We are amused at the amateurs trying to become overnight preppers. They have no clue. And most of what they buy will go to waste because they don’t know how to stretch it, store it, wrap it, or freeze it. They simply don’t have the knowledge, room, and/or equipment.

It doesn’t take a lot to get stocked up for a couple of weeks of being sick. Most people don’t want to eat very much when they have this. Most people have friends that would drop food on their porch in a worst case scenario.

We are actually amazed that all these folks weren’t caught flat footed long ago. Half the world wants to kill us. There have been many, many close calls in my lifetime that could have easily destroyed our food distribution or power grid. And this is the first time in my lifetime (almost 67 years) that I have actually seen store shelves empty. Amazing!

My 86 year old mother still lives in the big city. She is doing great! And she won’t get it either. Because she won’t even let in my sister. I amazon her everything she needs and she hasn’t had to go out once in 21 days.

This is a Darwin moment. A little chlorine in the gene pool. Its time to choose sides and make serious decisions about whether you want to get this or not. And what you are willing to endure to not get this. We will lose some friends over this, literally and figuratively. We hate watching our foolish friends behaving like nothing has changed. It is NOT inevitable that anyone will get this. It’s a simple choice. You can stay home for a long time perfectly healthy, or you can stay home for a long time deathly ill. Choose wisely.

I am fairly confident my DD had COVID-19 starting around December 24. DD was exposed to someone (mid-late 20s) for a couple of days who had a lot of the classic symptoms, including difficulty breathing, less than a week before she became ill herself. DD stayed with us Christmas Eve overnight, so we were all in close proximity to each other for 36 hours.

My DW became ill starting around December 29-30. Whatever it was, it took her at least five days to be fever-free and around 14 days to be symptom-free. I have to figure I also had a mild case of it or at least was exposed to it. We would certainly welcome the antibody test because it would likely confirm the timeline when we were exposed.

I may have had it a few weeks ago. All the symptoms but couldn't get tested.
Stay hydrated. Not everyone gets it, not everyone shows symptoms even if they get it. Stay healthy in the meantime.

My SIL swears that my brother had the virus after attending the national college football championship in New Orleans on January 13. My brother rarely gets sick but was ill for eight days with body aches, fever, headache, cough, etc. He is 69 but in great health with no underlying conditions.

My SIL swears that my brother had the virus after attending the national college football championship in New Orleans on January 13. My brother rarely gets sick but was ill for eight days with body aches, fever, headache, cough, etc. He is 69 but in great health with no underlying conditions.

IIRC, this year's flu vaccine didn't provide much protection against the "B" strain which was making the rounds here locally at the time.

IIRC, this year's flu vaccine didn't provide much protection against the "B" strain which was making the rounds here locally at the time.
Matches my and my wifes timing with getting the flu this year. Felt really bad and it has taken weeks to get my strength and endurance back. Still not there yet. I hope I don't get the Covid-19 as I don't want to be sick again. So this is the start of week 4 of self isolation for us. We are only leaving the house to pick up food supplies about once per week.

I'm eager to take an antibody test. I visited the tucson gem shows in early feb. that involved several days in large convention halls, haggling and dealing with vendors from all over the world, booth after booth. I picked up hundreds of strands of stones, inspecting them closely near my face (after countless other folks had done the same with the same specimens). It's the kind of event that sounds insane today.

It was on the early side of things (2/5 - 2/9), but I came home with a dry sore throat, which quickly became a low-grade fever, upper resp. infection, body aches, etc., Fever broke after a few days and then I got better, with the cough dragging about 10 days. So a mild case if it was Covid. Flu tested negative. DH never got it but I slept in the guest room, and didn't go out for days or see anyone else, besides the doc. Coulda just been a regular old bug from the travel though.

I'm eager to take an antibody test. I visited the tucson gem shows in early feb. that involved several days in large convention halls, haggling and dealing with vendors from all over the world, booth after booth. I picked up hundreds of strands of stones, inspecting them closely near my face (after countless other folks had done the same with the same specimens). It's the kind of event that sounds insane today.

It was on the early side of things (2/5 - 2/9), but I came home with a dry sore throat, which quickly became a low-grade fever, upper resp. infection, body aches, etc., Fever broke after a few days and then I got better, with the cough dragging about 10 days. So a mild case if it was Covid. Flu tested negative. DH never got it but I slept in the guest room, and didn't go out for days or see anyone else, besides the doc. Coulda just been a regular old bug from the travel though.

Sounds like what my daughter had , doctor told her it was upper respiratory virus not covid. They wouldn't give her a covid test. She is doing ok now. Her fever only lasted 1 day.

Right. I see too many justifying their constant trips. Just like others justify meeting with friends, or playing pickleball. Or hell, like I justified my bike ride on the crowded paths yesterday.

You know: "Nothing's reported, nobody had symptoms."

Look at Seattle and the silent spread that was occurring through most of February to understand why that is not helping.

People are getting way more than 2 to 4 weeks worth of stuff.

I don’t get that. We are going out to shop once every two weeks. We will have two adult boys at home. It’s a good opportunity to use up all that frozen food before it gets freezer burn and we buy enough for 2 weeks.

Sounds like what my daughter had , doctor told her it was upper respiratory virus not covid. They wouldn't give her a covid test. She is doing ok now. Her fever only lasted 1 day.

The coronavirus also impacts the upper respiratory tract as well as the lower.

"The finding suggests that coronavirus particles that are inhaled through the nose or mouth have a high chance of attaching to cells in the upper respiratory tract, meaning that relatively few are needed for an infection to gain a foothold."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...s-infection-mechanism?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other&

The coronavirus also impacts the upper respiratory tract as well as the lower.

"The finding suggests that coronavirus particles that are inhaled through the nose or mouth have a high chance of attaching to cells in the upper respiratory tract, meaning that relatively few are needed for an infection to gain a foothold."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...s-infection-mechanism?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other&

Update: My 3yr old granddaughter also has a bad cough. My daughter caught it from her. Took my granddaughter to doctor and they tested her for covid and pertussis. Both tests were negative so thankfully I think my daughter's doctor got the diagnosis right.

Another Expecting action. Yesterday I updated DD2, my health proxy, on changes to instructions of what to do if I'm hospitalized.

We received a voicemail and email from UCLA yesterday. They are looking for healthy volunteers who have recovered from COVID-19 to donate blood plasma. They are offering to test your blood for antibodies and if positive, asking for plasma donations. They are also looking for those who may have been infected with the virus but are not sure since they were never tested. It's not clear how they are keeping the clinics virus free. The hospitals at Westwood and Santa Monica where we go for our annual physicals and screening tests are usually pretty crowded. We wouldn't mind being tested for the antibodies but don't want to visit a crowded hospital or clinic to draw blood. My wife is a nurse and can draw blood at home, so she is asking if they can send us two venipuncture kits by mail as the first step that we can drop off at the testing lab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom