Is it safe ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in a rural area with exponentially increasing of known CV-19. It's clear that there are many more infected people walking around.

We also have 3 high risk people in our household. All precautions including cloth with HEPA filter masks, isolating, gloves, alcohol cleaning and subsequent handwashing are in place.

To put it bluntly if laziness caused death in my family, I would find it devastating. I am not going to worry about other may think.

I also am judging carefully who I do business with. If a business has inadequate measures in place, they are forever off my list of vendors that I will have any dealings with. If they don't care about their employees or themselves, they won't give a hoot about me.

Edit add, two friends were health care workers that suddenly got sick and died. They were denied tests. Ergo they didn't have CV-19. Their children are ophans.

Last edited:
Good question, OP. Our local #'s went from 105 to 169 in 7 days, due to extended testing. I assume the next few days will go higher. DH just went for his 2nd Covid test. First was negative. The Dr called and asked him to get a 2nd because his symptoms are textbook Covid. 103.8 temp, sweating, chills, headache, dizziness, slight cough. His temp has fluctuated but not below 99, often over 100, with Tylenol and Ibuprofen.

We've been super careful since mid March. Masks, gloves and only going to grocery store and pharmacy. Distancing from everyone, family and neighbors. We can't figure out where he picked this up. I will continue to wear my mask and social distance. Will keep this up until some proven treatment or our numbers-locally-drastically improved.

i hope your husband recovers quickly and that you stay safe.

what is missing from most reported numbers are how many who test positive are actually sick and of those how many are in a hospital and of those how many are in an ICU and of those how many have recovered and how many have died. from people i’ve talked with about this most equate new infections with thecworst case scenario...ICU on a ventilator. IMO just releasing raw numbers leaves too much up to the imagination.

Marathon Man is a gem where the movie was better than the book. I remember a line in the book where the MC went out to fetch a chocolate egg cream. I remember having absolutely no idea what that was. The internet was no help (pre-google days) and every older person I asked either didn’t remember what they were or couldn’t describe them well. Seemed they weren’t ever common in the Midwest.

Years later I learned it was a sort of cream soda made with actual cream or whole milk. No egg ingredient at all.

Egg Creams were a daily treat when I was a kid.

i hope your husband recovers quickly and that you stay safe.

what is missing from most reported numbers are how many who test positive are actually sick and of those how many are in a hospital and of those how many are in an ICU and of those how many have recovered and how many have died. from people i’ve talked with about this most equate new infections with thecworst case scenario...ICU on a ventilator. IMO just releasing raw numbers leaves too much up to the imagination.
Thank you. Trying to keep a sense of humor or we all go down the tubes. The numbers you mention are so important. DH is in pretty bad shape. He wants me to go live with my DB and DSI. I said I can't. I'm isolating with you. My heart goes out to families (several people) isolating with one or more member with symptoms or tested positive. We'll see his results today.

Rianne, hoping your DH tests negative again this time too. This has to be so tough on you. :(

+1

I have stayed home (or in my car with the windows rolled up) for the past couple of months. During this time I have not been within even fifty feet of anybody at all, except Frank.

But, our local numbers here in New Orleans are looking really, really good lately (see image below).

I did order a mask from Etsy, which I have not yet worn. When I feel ready, it's there.

I have no gloves.

Well this post that I made yesterday needs to be updated. As I mentioned on another thread, the Governor of Louisiana tweaked the stay-at-home guidelines and said it's OK for restaurants to provide outdoor tables for eating take-out, if they are sufficiently distant from other tables and with no wait staff service.

So, we did that! We were 30 feet from other tables, with real live people sitting at them. Baby steps, but 30 feet is closer than 50 feet. :) I took my new mask but didn't wear it since I was eating. It was a sunny 91 degrees (probably hotter at that table out on the asphalt parking lot), but we didn't care. Bet I got a little tan and some Vitamin D from all that sunshine.

Oh, and for those who want to know, grilled shrimp soft tacos made with plenty of fresh, jumbo wild-caught Louisiana shrimp. :D

Thank you. Trying to keep a sense of humor or we all go down the tubes. The numbers you mention are so important. DH is in pretty bad shape. He wants me to go live with my DB and DSI. I said I can't. I'm isolating with you. My heart goes out to families (several people) isolating with one or more member with symptoms or tested positive. We'll see his results today.

Good luck Rianne.
Your internet families are all supporting you.

I feel like I have been training for this situation for years now.
I have spent the last several years representing my sister who was in multiple short and long term care facilities, multiple hospitals including long term acute care where many patients were on ventilators, and had been MRSA positive and in ICU units several times. I spent quite some time gowned and masked and gloved, but also witnessed inconsistent use of that in hospitals.
My mother has been in several hospitals and short term care facilities and is now in Independent Living care with daily help.
I have been ultra aware of hand washing and touching surfaces for years now.
I have been not touching rails, pushing elevator buttons only with car keys or pens and many other situations. I wish there were more auto opening doors. I hope this makes more places install them.
Large crowds of people are not a good idea. I try to avoid as much as possible.
Keeping healthy and active to allow your immune system to work well is so very important.
With all the precautions I take I also try to keep perspective. 100% safety is not possible and life has to be lived with some risk involved.

Marathon Man is a gem where the movie was better than the book. I remember a line in the book where the MC went out to fetch a chocolate egg cream. I remember having absolutely no idea what that was. The internet was no help (pre-google days) and every older person I asked either didn’t remember what they were or couldn’t describe them well. Seemed they weren’t ever common in the Midwest.

Years later I learned it was a sort of cream soda made with actual cream or whole milk. No egg ingredient at all.

Yes, the Egg Cream was popular in the NY area. No egg and no cream.

Well we went to a local restaurant today to "eat inside":dance:... We waited until after 1pm before driving in to town, thinking maybe the lunch crowd would be gone... Well only we only have 7 dine-in restaurants in town and only 4 of those were open. Our preferred restaurant was still closed and our second choice was already ~50% full judging by the number of cars in the parking lot. So we went to our third choice. They were probably about 15 to 20% full. Food and service was great. And yes, I had a couple of ice cold "Corona" beers with lunch....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom