Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Is it Wise Buy Furnace and Other Parts in Case Pandemic Cuts Supply Chains?
Old 11-12-2020, 12:19 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Is it Wise Buy Furnace and Other Parts in Case Pandemic Cuts Supply Chains?

I'm concerned that if the pandemic gets worse (and all signs seem to indicate it will), critical replacement parts for home systems and cars will be unobtainable.

I perform all maintenance and repairs on everything in our house and cars and am seriously considering purchasing replacement parts for some of the home systems and cars to keep them up and running.

For the furnace (it's 8 years old) I am considering stocking a replacement blower motor, draft inducer, main control board, electric gas valve, all sensors, igniter, a couple of switches and a few gaskets. Cost is approximately $1400 for these parts. In researching prices, I discovered the blower motor superceded to a new part number twice and takes 3+ weeks to get (special order). This is the part I am most concerned about because we run the fan continuously to cut down on house dust (and use a 5 inch thick MERV 11 furnace filter).

Also, the water heater could fail any day (8 years old, 6 year warranty and water softener in use, anode rod never replaced). I could buy a replacement water heater at the big box store and keep it in our basement, along with an assortment of cpvc pipe and fittings (I've replaced water heaters before).

For the car, I'd replace the 6 year old battery and get a few filters and oil.

The downside to buying these parts is the majority of them may not be used (I am confident we would use the replacement water heater at some point).

If you were able to replace these parts yourself and had ample funds to purchase them now, would you, knowing you may not need them?

Also, any other items or parts you would keep on hand?

Any input appreciated; thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2020, 01:13 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would not do so.

I do not have small children at home any more. So if the furnace went out, I'd dig out the sleeping bags and make hot chocolate in the microwave and hot food in the oven. My water heater is one of the newer inline types and it basically doesn't fail. If my car failed, I'd either not go anywhere or walk until I could get it repaired.

While I do some DIY, other stuff I leave to the experts. In either case, my strategy is to let places like rockauto.com, Lowe's, and the local HVAC stores maintain spare parts rather than keep them on hand myself.

So to me the cost of having parts on hand in advance is high, the risk is low, and the consequences are low. If you view those differently, you could come to a different conclusion.

All that being said, if I were in your shoes and had more dependency on my car or water heater and/or had little kids or a spouse relying on me or those systems working, I'd probably replace the anode rod in the water heater and the car battery now. These seem like cheap and easy things to do that would lower your risks preemptively.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:21 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Now you are making me nervous.

My water heater is at least 9 years old.

We do have two older cars so if one goes bad, hopefully the other one is still useable.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:29 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Whatever you get for backups might/may be used at some point, but you can almost bet, that something else will break that you don't have a backup for.... Stuff happens.

Now with that said I was panning on having my central air replaced this winter because it's 12+ years old and I hope I can get a deal while the AC people aren't so busy... (not because of the CV.) It still works well but it's getting up there .. Sort of like me

I would think (hope) that most companies have worked through their supply chains issues and should be better prepared now than they were 9 months ago... Plus we have one or more vaccines about to be released so hopefully the light at the end of this tunnel that I'm seeing isn't an oncoming train....
Old 11-12-2020, 01:49 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateW View Post
... I am considering stocking a replacement blower motor, draft inducer, main control board, electric gas valve, all sensors, igniter, a couple of switches and a few gaskets. Cost is approximately $1400 for these parts. ...
I wouldn't be doing this but if I were looking at that much $$, I'd price a new furnace and at least get everything.

I am not for building a huge parts stock. First, Murphy pretty much guarantees I'd have the wrong stuff anyway. Second, I don't have the storage space.

I did, however, have the furnace's induced draft blower replaced in August. It was working fine but one of the bearings had developed the death whine. I didn't want that to turn into a winter emergency.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:50 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for replying. I do agree I'd rather have businesses be my parts warehouse.

No kids at home and we do have a natural gas direct vent fireplace (I may want to replace the ignitor and thermocouple, as they are quite rusty). The fireplace would enable us to get by and prevent pipes from freezing.

I guess if it gets bad to the point the supply chain stops, mechanical parts will be a lesser concern. Food and medical supplies and care will preempt that.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:01 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't think I'd stock repair or replacement parts. I would suggest keeping an adequate supply of furnace filters, maybe a year or so.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:09 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
I wouldn't be doing this but if I were looking at that much $$, I'd price a new furnace and at least get everything....
I actually considered buying a new furnace complete, shipped, same make and effeiciency) as a parts source. Cost is not a whole lot more than the parts I priced out. My only concern is many of the parts are not interchangeable and I would be challenged to install the furnace, mainly due to sheetmetal fabrication.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:11 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

This thread reminds me of the days, not so long ago, when I was heavy into restoring old cars. I'd occasionally buy a donor car for parts on major rebuilds... Basically using the parts from one old car to restore the other exact same year/model car... It actually was worth in the end, but I was always needing more parts... Sometimes the replacement part was already bad/broken and sometimes it would get broken "all by itself" while I was "fixing it" So I was off looking for "another" replacement part... Those were days...
Old 11-12-2020, 02:17 PM   #10

I do a lot of my own service on cars and most everything else. I am not planning on stocking up parts that I may not need. That being said, I just replaced my last Automatic Air Vent on my HW heating unit last month. My unit requires one vent for each of 2 zones. These usually last a few years before starting to leak a bit. I just ordered 2 pcs just to have on hand. I keep a universal thermocouples on hand for the occasional late night problem that occurs every 5-10 years. I also keep a taco zone valve head. That is all I keep on hand as spares. My heating system is 33 years old.

I really do not expect any significant shortages. My biggest concern is power outages. This year I purchased a gasoline generator that can power the heating system, refrigerator and a few electrical things. All I need is gasoline.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:21 PM   #11

Quote:
I

For the car, I'd replace the 6 year old battery and get a few filters and oil.
Rarely ever had a car/truck battery last much more than 5 years. I would be proactive and replace the battery COVID or no COVID.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Old 11-12-2020, 04:01 PM   #12

Quote:
I actually considered buying a new furnace complete, shipped, same make and effeiciency) as a parts source. Cost is not a whole lot more than the parts I priced out. My only concern is many of the parts are not interchangeable and I would be challenged to install the furnace, mainly due to sheetmetal fabrication.
Buy two, install the first (with sheet metal help) keep the second as a backup. I considered doing this with garage door openers. In the case of the GDO, they are cheap and replacing just the motor/control part would have me some effort.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:12 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't... it likely that some of the parts you order will not fail before you replace the furnace and will be wasted money.. and conversely, some part will fail that you didn't think would.

I think you would be better off to order the parts if and when you need them and if necessary pay for expedited shipping and delivery.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 11-12-2020, 04:16 PM   #14

I wouldn't. The odds are you won't have a need for the parts, and if things do get really dire, someone else actually would, but now can't.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:20 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Here I am thinking about testing my furnace igniter resistance to see if I should spend $25 buying a spare, and OP brings up buying all this stuff.

I discovered something last year, when I had the furnace cleaned for $69. It was the first time in over 15 yrs to have this cleaned. The company guaranteed my furnace for the next 6 months after the cleaning, they would come and fix it if it stopped working for free.

At the time, the fellow did pull and check the ignitor as I wondered if it was "good", since it's original, and he said they could replace it for $250, I declined.

I could see OP keeping an spare igniter for the furnace as those do go out commonly.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:07 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

My DW would never allow me to stock a bunch of parts for various systems as she's a minimalist and is constantly trying to pilfer my garage artifacts. I do keep capacitors for the system as these are most prone to failure.

If the heat goes out, we'd have to vamoose to the "Bat Cave" ... our motorhome, until said parts arrive.
Old 11-13-2020, 03:24 AM   #17
gone traveling

We have a Generac generator that can power the whole house. It is the best 12K we ever spent. When we lost power for a week we were good to go. We even ran a electrical cord to our neighbor house so they could power their light and fridge since they did not even had a small generator.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:12 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
This morning over breakfast, I was thinking about OP's post.

I feel OP is too pessimistic about the life of the house components, while there are no guarantee's , my water heater went for well over 12 yrs, possibly 15 yrs.

My furnance motor, I replaced it at 10 yrs only because water was dripping on it from the A/C pan and ruined it. My replacement motor has run 10 yrs now.

My furnace ignitor is still working at 20 yrs, but that part is so old I'm really thinking of replacing it now (to be sure the new one works) or at least get a new one.

Our fridge is 20 yrs old.

Two years ago, this old guy I know talked to me about replacing his furnace and A/C as they were old. I talked him out of it, and they are still working fine.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:54 AM   #19

I ordered a cord of wood 2 months ago, I have been next on the list all this time. If I wasn't so lazy I would take my chainsaw out to a couple of downed oaks on the ponderosa. I call them the reserve stock.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:11 PM   #20

Can you return the parts if you don't use them (ie. unopened and uninstalled) - say within a year? The place that I have been using for the last few years allows this.

-gauss
Closed Thread