Is it Wise Buy Furnace and Other Parts in Case Pandemic Cuts Supply Chains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that power failures are a concern. I have a Honda EU2000 generator, which will run the basics. Theoretically, it could run the house furnace during an extended power outage. The furnace with air handler is on a 15 amp circuit. I'm not suggesting anyone try this, but to do this all one would have to do is turn the furnace circuit breaker off, cut the romex (power cable) to the furnace near the furnace and install a "2 gang" electrical box right where the romex is cut and have both cut ends terminate inside the box, using strain reliefs to secure them. Then you could cut the female end off a heavy duty extension cord and install its end in the electrical box with a strain relief and wire nut the hot, return, and ground wires on the extension cord to the like conductors on the Romex leading to the furnace. Plug extension cord to generator output. After the power outage, simply remove the extension cord and splice/wire nut the two Romex conductors together inside the electrical box and turn on the furnace breaker.

I also have an EU2000 generator. I thought about doing something similar, but wondered if there was a better way, one less thing to do to get it up and running with no power. The solution was a simple at-the-furnace transfer switch. It's made by Reliance, their model TF151W. It comes with a armored cable whip, and all the wire needed to wire it up.

The way I installed it: I installed a 4" box just short of the furnace. I disconnected the Romex from the furnace, and brought it into the new box. The whip with wires from the Transfer Switch also goes to this box. I then added a short run of Romex from the connections in the box to the furnace. Using proper box fittings, of course. Then closed the box with a 4" cover. I used a steel box and cover. It works great, and it gives a pilot lamp that you can see if the generator is running. Which is a help if you can't hear the generator from where you are at the furnace. So to use it, just plug in extension cord, and flip the transfer switch to GEN.

I'm linking a source, but you can find it other places, just search for TF151W. I got it on Amazon cheaper than what's listed in my link. There may be a demand on them now.

https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Con...eywords=reliance+tf151w&qid=1605331823&sr=8-1

Something else I did for safety and convenience: I did not like the idea of running a power cord into the house through an open door or window. Where I would be putting the generator outside, and our common wind direction, would probably blow exhaust into the house if I did. So I created a through-the-wall pass-through. An appropriate power inlet box outside, used intermediate rigid conduit fittings to go out the back of that box, through the wall, to an inside 4" box that is mounted like a regular indoor box. And in the indoor box I have 4 receptacles. 2 duplexes would work, but I used a 4-by receptacle block that is used in commercial settings, it accepts both 15 and 20 amp plug configurations, and sticks out some. It lets one know that it is something special, and not just some outlet that is always dead. ;) I made my own heavy-duty exterior power cord, with a plug to fit the generator, the other end to fit the inlet box.

So after placing the generator and starting it to warm up, I plug in the exterior power cable, then on the inside run cords to what I want to power. A big help is to have a low-wattage bulb screwed into a plug-type socket, that can be plugged into the inside receptacle. From outside, I can see the light go on when I plug in the power cord. And on the inside, it gives a fixed light to see to run cords, without having to carry a lantern or flashlight the whole way.

I have many AC parts in my spares inventory, including parts I scavenged from my previous two AC condensers... contactors, a fan motor with blade and cap to go with it, a bunch of wires with 1/4" quick connects for blade connectors, etc. I also have new parts that fit the two condenser units I installed when I changed out both furnaces... start cap, run caps, start relay. The scavenged fan motor with blade and cap and wires prevented us from becoming bacon a few summers ago when the original motor seized on the smaller AC condenser. The capacitor on the original fan motor blew two years before that, new spares stock cap got it up and running again quick.

The only furnace part I have as a spare is a vacuum switch (they list it as a "pressure switch"). It changes state at 3.5" WC (Water Column), so it's a pretty sensitive vacuum switch to sense that the inducer fan is running, and that the flue isn't blocked. It connects via a silicone-rubber hi-temp hose to a port on the inducer output, so it uses the venturi effect of air/flue gas running by the port to create a partial vacuum down to the switch. I have replaced the vac switch in both furnaces before, they got iffy, and would change state usually late at night while the burner was on, which made the burner shut down, then do a purge cycle, and try again. After three successive attempts, it locks out for an hour, then retries. Flipping the power to the furnace off then on again, clears the timer. Having a spare vac switch, I can fix it in 15 minutes. My DW would be capable of replacing the vac switch. She knows what it looks like, where I have the spare parts, what tools to use, how to take both panels off of either furnace to get at it.

Last edited:
I have a whole house generator but if I needed to run my furnace using my small Honda generator I would just pull the meter and plug into an outlet. You pull the meter so that you don’t feed electricity back to the main system and risk electrocuting someone. So obviously, this is a critical step. Then, you can plug your generator into any outlet and the whole house will be charged. Of course, this is not an ideal set up, but it can be done easily in an emergency. Using a small generator, you will also need to make sure other things don’t come on or you’ll just keep tripping the generator circuit. A little more adventurous is to run the generator to the house side of the meter connector after you pull it. Then you can control what gets electricity by using your circuit panel.

The best thing to do is to invest into a switch that will switch off when power comes back on, but the above is for someone who gets caught off guard and needs heat and only has a small generator.

I don't know how old your furnace is but you could look on line for a used furnace that is the same as yours and buy the whole thing cheaply. I did this a couple of years ago and took the parts off the used furnace, tested them and put them away. this has to be the exact same model no. and brand. the trick is you have to check online, like facebook marketplace or craigslist often until you find what you are looking for.

Thank you Telly. Great info. I appreciate the link to the furnace power transfer switch and idea about the wall electrical cable pass through. At my previous house (an old Cape Cod style with wood siding) we had a couple day power outage one winter. Not wanting to pass the extension chord through an open window and taping over the opening, I used a 2 inch hole saw on the drill and cut a hole right through the livingroom wall at the back of the house. Later, I simply patched the drywall and siding and painted. I have a new house with vinyl siding now, so I can't do that!

Excellent idea Frank about the used furnace. Interestingly, 4 manufactures make the same furnace model I have (made under Heil, Quaker, Tempstar and International Comfort Products), so a used, one is probably available. Looking at the specs it weighs 140 pounds and is 37 inches high and about 30 inches on each side, very storable. 60,000 BTU 96% efficient condensing furnace.

I found the solution! I just bought a brand new furnace, same model as mine, manufactured in 2016, from a company that says they are the largest liquidator of HVAC equipment in the country (my model was discontinued in 2018). The furnace has cosmetic damage (scratched up case), but it's complete. Paid $1025 plus $200 freight to a freight terminal 10 miles from me. Now I will have a complete set of parts! Should be here in about a week and I will bring it home in my SUV. It only weighs 150 pounds, just right for my dolly.

The furnace in my house was manufactured in 2012 and is "Rev. 1" and the one I bought is "Rev. 2" of the same model number and the specs and model number are identical (G9MXE601714A, 60k btu, 96% effecient, 1400 cubic ft/min. ECM fan w/ 5 speed taps, single stage condensing furnace). For the very few components that have different part numbers between the two, either the part on the Rev. 1 furnace superceded to the Rev. 2 part, or neither part numbers are available now and both obsolete numbers superceded to the same new part number.

What I learned when doing this is the exact same model numbers of furnaces made by International Comfort Products are sold under 7 brand names.

Attachments

• 283208.jpg
    283208.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 283210 (1).jpg
    283210 (1).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 20
I found the solution! I just bought a brand new furnace, same model as mine, manufactured in 2016, from a company that says they are the largest liquidator of HVAC equipment in the country (my model was discontinued in 2018). The furnace has cosmetic damage (scratched up case), but it's complete. Paid $1025 plus $200 freight to a freight terminal 10 miles from me. Now I will have a complete set of parts! Should be here in about a week and I will bring it home in my SUV. It only weighs 150 pounds, just right for my dolly.

The furnace in my house was manufactured in 2012 and is "Rev. 1" and the one I bought is "Rev. 2" of the same model number and the specs and model number are identical (G9MXE601714A, 60k btu, 96% effecient, 1400 cubic ft/min. ECM fan w/ 5 speed taps, single stage condensing furnace). For the very few components that have different part numbers between the two, either the part on the Rev. 1 furnace superceded to the Rev. 2 part, or neither part numbers are available now and both obsolete numbers superceded to the same new part number.

What I learned when doing this is the exact same model numbers of furnaces made by International Comfort Products are sold under 7 brand names.

perfect and you don't have to worry about parts from a used unit being worn/defective

If cars and therefore trucks no longer have parts, then the food supply is going to stop.... At this point society would collapse, so worrying about your furnace would be the least problem you and everyone else will have.
I tend to agree.

Personally I believe that to be paranoia/insane overkill, buying and storing a complete duplicate furnace to guard against the (remote?) contingencies that (1) something will break and (2) a replacement part will be unobtainable. However, who am I to say that your concern is wrong. None of us has a crystal ball.

As you have available both the cash and the storage space, you’ve found a great solution. Obviously the possibility of future parts shortages was troubling you, and you’ve now purchased some peace of mind: that has to be a win, regardless of what actually happens. Well done.

OP - Since you found a duplicate, why not go ahead and install it. Then you know everything is new (keep the old working one for parts).

That way if the new one doesn't work, you will know right away, rather than trying a part off it and finding the fix doesn't work. Then not knowing if it's something else or the part is bad etc..
Plus you can scream at the seller with justification.

Thank you Telly. Great info. I appreciate the link to the furnace power transfer switch and idea about the wall electrical cable pass through. At my previous house (an old Cape Cod style with wood siding) we had a couple day power outage one winter. Not wanting to pass the extension chord through an open window and taping over the opening, I used a 2 inch hole saw on the drill and cut a hole right through the livingroom wall at the back of the house. Later, I simply patched the drywall and siding and painted. I have a new house with vinyl siding now, so I can't do that!

I just take the outside cover off my clothes dryer vent, and disconnect a section of the inside dryer vent piping, and then run the extension cord thru the opening. I shove some old rags around the cord for insulation and to keep out bugs, etc.

Excellent idea Frank about the used furnace. Interestingly, 4 manufactures make the same furnace model I have (made under Heil, Quaker, Tempstar and International Comfort Products), so a used, one is probably available. Looking at the specs it weighs 140 pounds and is 37 inches high and about 30 inches on each side, very storable. 60,000 BTU 96% efficient condensing furnace.
interestingly, if you buy one that is just being replaced because the air conditioner went out or they just want to upgrade, and is still functional. you could change out the whole furnace if you had an emergency or the heat exchanger on your old one went bad. always good to have options.

I once bought a water heater early. We were having some appliances delivered and a friend had got us a decent discount, he referred insurance claims to appliance dealers all the time.

There was no cost for the delivery, a decent price and the water heater was past expected lifespan. I paid for it and only concern was we had small children so it was tied securely to the free standing masonry chimney that went to the floor for safety concerns. It did save money and was not that big on an eyesore in the box.

The illusion of choice

Interestingly, 4 manufactures make the same furnace model I have (made under Heil, Quaker, Tempstar and International Comfort Products), so a used one is probably available.
While anything is possible, it seems unlikely that four manufacturers are independently making exactly the same model of furnace.

More likely, one Asian supplier makes all the furnaces and it is simply sold on to retail consumers under several different brand names.

I just take the outside cover off my clothes dryer vent, and disconnect a section of the inside dryer vent piping, and then run the extension cord thru the opening. I shove some old rags around the cord for insulation and to keep out bugs, etc.

Clever idea, for a short time.

When I was thinking about this issue, I thought of drilling a 1/2 or so hole, run a short wire though the hole, and put extension plugs on each end of the wire.

can you give out the url for the liquidator?

The OP's idea is a bit of a slippery slope. Where does it logically end?

It reminds me of Carl Sagan's quote:

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."

We have a Century fireplace in our house that's basically a big wood stove with windows. It can keep the whole house (3,800 sf) comfortable down to freezing temps outside and keep it habitable to below 0'F, with no electricity.

Last month I built a firewood rack outside and ordered a good stock of wood.

It's not as convenient as a new/spare furnace, but it allows us to stay warm enough even if both the electricity and gas fail.

I guess this is why we have empty shelves at the stores.
Yeah I can see it. Collecting some spare furnace parts, even so far as a furnace on liquidation (sure must be a BIG demand for that model, people must be lining up for it!) is just a hop, skip, and a jump from cleaning out all the TP at stores. Yeah.

Having two of everything, so that a spare is always readily available, would require me to become a bigamist.
Well, that may work out OK! Because your spouse would also need a spare for YOU! And further up in this thread, someone mentioned that maybe the old furnace should be removed, and the new one from liquidation be installed.

If we copy that concept over to spouses, I could see some spouses deciding to un-install their present one, and installing the new "spare". Then they may look at the old un-installed one, and see that there are quite a few worn-out parts that might be about to go, and decide to dispose of it by putting it at the curb for garbage men/women to take away as refuse. Unless their old spouse could be considered hazardous waste, which they then might have to pay for him/her to be removed, or they might just dump them in the woods, desert, or a stream when no one is around! (I do NOT condone illegal dumping). Or if they are a hoarder, put their old spouse out in the back yard (please, at least use a tarp to cover!)

It has possibilities! :LOL: Thanks for bringing it up! Maybe it could be a Public Service Announcement.

Last edited:
Having two of everything, so that a spare is always readily available, would require me to become a bigamist.

Well, here was a post I made in the thread about "Coupling up again in retirement." :D

Well, my wife has an identical twin, and her husband is significantly older. Odds are that I will kick before my DW, but, if not, I suppose I have a built-in backup plan!

(The foregoing is largely in jest. Largely, but not entirely! :) )

I'm concerned that if the pandemic gets worse (and all signs seem to indicate it will), critical replacement parts for home systems and cars will be unobtainable.

I perform all maintenance and repairs on everything in our house and cars and am seriously considering purchasing replacement parts for some of the home systems and cars to keep them up and running.

For the furnace (it's 8 years old) I am considering stocking a replacement blower motor, draft inducer, main control board, electric gas valve, all sensors, igniter, a couple of switches and a few gaskets. Cost is approximately $1400 for these parts. In researching prices, I discovered the blower motor superceded to a new part number twice and takes 3+ weeks to get (special order). This is the part I am most concerned about because we run the fan continuously to cut down on house dust (and use a 5 inch thick MERV 11 furnace filter).

Also, the water heater could fail any day (8 years old, 6 year warranty and water softener in use, anode rod never replaced). I could buy a replacement water heater at the big box store and keep it in our basement, along with an assortment of cpvc pipe and fittings (I've replaced water heaters before).

For the car, I'd replace the 6 year old battery and get a few filters and oil.

The downside to buying these parts is the majority of them may not be used (I am confident we would use the replacement water heater at some point).

If you were able to replace these parts yourself and had ample funds to purchase them now, would you, knowing you may not need them?

Also, any other items or parts you would keep on hand?

Any input appreciated; thanks.

Just relax. There are vaccines and there has never been a run on the types of things you are talking about. Kind of crazy to worry about.

Just relax. There are vaccines and there has never been a run on the types of things you are talking about. Kind of crazy to worry about.
Good point; I think being retired has given me the time to think and/or worry about these kindas of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom