Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-10-2022, 04:33 PM   #281
Recycles dryer sheets

Did you check them against the CDC list updating certain test expiration dates by brand/lot number? Several tests are now considered good longer than initially marked by the manufacturer because they have learned more about how long they are good.
Act2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

My Covid Experience
Old 12-28-2022, 01:42 PM   #282
Recycles dryer sheets

My Covid Experience

DW and I got the kind of Christmas present you don't want; Covid. First time for both of us; the Virus finally caught up with us after months of laying low and being very cautious (especially by wearing good-fitting N-95 masks in public). Tested positive on Christmas eve (after testing negative the day before, even though I had symptoms) and DW tested positive Christmas Day. We are quarantining until no longer contagious.

So far it feels pretty much like I have the flu. Had a couple degrees of fever, real runny nose and congestion, horrible sore throat, body aches, and coughing spells. I thought I was getting better and then yesterday a fairly substantial lack of energy hit. DW's symptoms pretty much mirrored mine, except the conjestion moved into her chest. She's getting better though. She says she can not remember ever feeling sicker.

We both are fully vaccinated and boosted and had the revised (bivalent) vaccine 3 months ago. She had Maderna and I had Pfizer. So it appears the vaccines are not effective at preventing illness. It's said that the vaccines do protect against severe illness, even with the latest Covid strain. I would not like to catch Covid unvaccinated; its bad enough being fully vaccinated.

I think I know where we cought Covid. Its ironic. We just signed up at the local rec center to use the fitness equipment and pool to better our health and the person we met with to record our baseline stats was very sick, coughing, runny nose, etc. He claimed it was only a sinus infection per the urgent care clinic he saw. This was 3 days before my symtoms started, in line with the current Covid variant's incubation period. I realize we let our gaurd down and most likely could have avoided Covid by rescheduling our gym intake appointment upon arriving and finding the trainer obviously sick.
NateW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 02:15 PM   #283
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateW View Post
DW's symptoms pretty much mirrored mine, except the conjestion moved into her chest. She's getting better though. She says she can not remember ever feeling sicker.
So sorry to read that you two are having to deal with this dreadful disease! Believe me, even though it's been 15 months since I had it, I can sure remember what a rugged experience it was for me to get through Covid, as it is for some people. Let's hope both of you are feeling 100% better, soon.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 06:35 PM   #284
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I have a bunch of dated Covid tests that will probably go bad in another year. So, I am testing myself every two weeks just out of curiosity. Viriturally everybody in my close circle (family members, friends, neighbors, etc) has had Covid. But, as far as I know I have avoided it. Or maybe not? I might be one of those walking wounded who had very light symptoms.
Or no symptoms at all!
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 06:38 PM   #285

One cough and sniffle from that guy and all he would have seen was my butt walking out the door! Did you let the rec center know you tested positive and how you possibly got infected?
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 07:24 PM   #286
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some relatives went on an overseas repositioning cruise. When they got home had Covid. Interesting they really didn’t experience symptoms until after returning home so they must have been exposed very late in the trip.
Old 12-28-2022, 07:38 PM   #287
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
So sorry to read that you two are having to deal with this dreadful disease! Believe me, even though it's been 15 months since I had it, I can sure remember what a rugged experience it was for me to get through Covid, as it is for some people. Let's hope both of you are feeling 100% better, soon.
Thank you W2R.
NateW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 02:24 PM   #288
Full time employment: Posting here.

My neighbor, who is a good friend, recently caught covid for the 3rd time. The first time it was really bad and took over 10 days to finally get better. The 2nd time she was pretty much asymptomatic. 3rd time was pretty rough and took her a week to get better. She did the first 2 Moderna shots but on the 2nd one every lymph node blew up in her body. It was awful. She refused to take any boosters.

She is now experiencing unbelievable symptoms. Headaches - really bad ones, what she can only describe as a vibration throughout her whole body, stomach is upset, extremely tired and joint & muscle pain. She's always had difficulty sleeping but she says now she just can't get to sleep hardly at all. She's like a walking zombie. She hasn't gone to the doctor as she just wants to knock this out without taking any medicines.

She will have a couple of days when she is feeling better, then it starts all over again.

We use to walk almost every day but she has not been up to it for several weeks now. Her husband & son also caught it but are feeling fine now.

I just feel so sorry for her.
11522914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 03:07 PM   #289
Give me a forum ...

I mentioned in another thread that I tested positive for Covid on Thursday morning 1/5. I woke up every early that morning with chills and could tell I had a fever. A few hours later I took the home test(2 actually) to confirm. I also had a 101.5 fever compared to my normal temp of 97.4 and a horrible headache. Thursday and Friday were rough but the fever broke and all that was left was some congestion and coughing. The coughing is seldom but it's a hacking cough with occasional wheezing. Last 3 days have stayed steady with minor congestion and occasional hacking cough. I didn't go to doctor or take any medicine except for Tylenol the first couple days when I had a really bad headache. Hoping the cough will decrease soon as I know that is something that can linger and I really don't want it to.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 07:40 PM   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11522914 View Post
My neighbor, who is a good friend, recently caught covid for the 3rd time. The first time it was really bad and took over 10 days to finally get better. The 2nd time she was pretty much asymptomatic. 3rd time was pretty rough and took her a week to get better. She did the first 2 Moderna shots but on the 2nd one every lymph node blew up in her body. It was awful. She refused to take any boosters.

She is now experiencing unbelievable symptoms. Headaches - really bad ones, what she can only describe as a vibration throughout her whole body, stomach is upset, extremely tired and joint & muscle pain. She's always had difficulty sleeping but she says now she just can't get to sleep hardly at all. She's like a walking zombie. She hasn't gone to the doctor as she just wants to knock this out without taking any medicines.

She will have a couple of days when she is feeling better, then it starts all over again.

We use to walk almost every day but she has not been up to it for several weeks now. Her husband & son also caught it but are feeling fine now.

That's quite disturbing but seems in line with recent research that shows that, especially in the elderly, multiple bouts with covid can really batter the body and increase the chances of serious long term effects. See https://www.advisory.com/daily-brief...d-reinfections
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 06:58 AM   #291

DW's home test was positive, yesterday. She has congestion and a few other symptoms. Those of you who sought medical treatment, what are they able to do to alleviate symptoms or keep it from getting worse? She is trying to set up a visit with some medical professional. The local urgent care is unable to see Covid folks face-to-face.
Z3Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 07:54 AM   #292
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
DW's home test was positive, yesterday. She has congestion and a few other symptoms. Those of you who sought medical treatment, what are they able to do to alleviate symptoms or keep it from getting worse? She is trying to set up a visit with some medical professional. The local urgent care is unable to see Covid folks face-to-face.
When I got Covid last week I didn't go to the doctor because I am a relatively healthy person. I believe you have to be an at risk person with symptoms then they will give you an antiviral. It has to be within the first 5 days since you started having symptoms.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 07:55 AM   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
Can she get a telehealth appointment? She needs to start on the medication within five days of symptoms. Depending on where you live, there is something called Test to Treat available at a number of pharmacies. See here for example https://www.goodrx.com/conditions/co...cation-tracker
Good Luck!
Old 01-11-2023, 08:00 AM   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11522914 View Post

Welcome to Long Covid... I got Covid in March 2020. Sick ever since. Some research, but little in the way of treatment. Very reminiscent of HIV in the early days...
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 08:02 AM   #295
Give me a forum ...

Z3--can you call your PCP? They should be able to prescribe paxlovid or whatever the most current antiviral is, probable with a phone visit.
Old 01-11-2023, 08:02 AM   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
When I got Covid last week I didn't go to the doctor because I am a relatively healthy person. I believe you have to be an at risk person with symptoms then they will give you an antiviral. It has to be within the first 5 days since you started having symptoms.
Age is a risk factor to qualify for Paxlovid treatment.

Quote:
Per the current CDC’s Interim Clinical Considerations for COVID-19 Treatment in Outpatient guidelines, risk factors
include:
o Age over 50 years, with risk increasing substantially at age ≥ 65 years
o Being unvaccinated or not being up to date on COVID-19 vaccinations
o Specific medical conditions and behaviors
Old 01-11-2023, 08:29 AM   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
That's quite disturbing but seems in line with recent research that shows that, especially in the elderly, multiple bouts with covid can really batter the body and increase the chances of serious long term effects. See https://www.advisory.com/daily-brief...d-reinfections
Thanks. I will forward to her.
Old 01-11-2023, 08:30 AM   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Welcome to Long Covid... I got Covid in March 2020. Sick ever since. Some research, but little in the way of treatment. Very reminiscent of HIV in the early days...
I do remember reading about your situation. Sorry you're going through this.
Old 01-11-2023, 09:07 AM   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
Can she get a telehealth appointment? She needs to start on the medication within five days of symptoms. Depending on where you live, there is something called Test to Treat available at a number of pharmacies. See here for example https://www.goodrx.com/conditions/co...cation-tracker
Good Luck!
PCP is out of town and his backup's nursing staff referred DW to the local urgent care. Urgent care is not seeing face-to-face Covid, but may prescribe something within those first 5 days or else get a telehealth.
Old 01-11-2023, 09:12 AM   #300

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
She is relatively healthy but is Medicare age.

Does living with me make her an "at risk person?"

She is calling around trying to get something to make her feel better. We have all the standard things. Wonder if Tom Selleck or Jason Momoa.... No, never mind that thought.