Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-04-2023, 04:50 PM   #341
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Still cough and congestion and bit of brain fog 12 days in. Changed out 2 tires today on my mountain bikes (2 different diameter wheels) and was struggling to put a 27.5" tire on a 29" rim. Then I needed to do a lever bleed on the rear brakes of the 27.5" and started in on the other bike. At least there aren't any bubbles in either rear brake line now.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2023, 12:47 AM   #342
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wife's aunt just travelled from Texas to Perth Australia. Picked up Covid somewhere along the way. She has had all her vaccines and is recovering nicely as far as we know.
2HOTinPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:50 AM   #343

Many of our relatives have had Covid, but not DW and I. We have travelled extensively since fall of '20. Been home a week now from a cruise with 6000 passengers. We did mask a lot, but not constantly. Many times vaxxed. Still not sure how we have missed it, unless we were totally asymptomatic.
Old 02-05-2023, 06:39 AM   #344

Fully vaxed and boosted, I finally caught it and tested positive last week. Felt like a case of the flu, not great, but nothing terrible. Fever of 102 F for 2 days, body aches all over, congestion. 3rd day was a 100 F fever, no fever on day 4. Still recovering, thankful I have no odd side effects like loss of smell or taste.
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:56 AM   #345
Administrator

I’ve had 5 vaccine shots, all different, but tested positive just now for the first time. Just feels like a heavy cold, no fever, but lots of sneezing and a bad cough.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:59 AM   #346
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DayDreaming and Alan--hope you recover quickly.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:59 AM   #347
Give me a forum ...

Same here (hoping you have a quick recovery) Alan! After all you’ve been through, all your family members who caught Covid, your vaccine trials, etc. hope this goes easy.

So glad you were proactive about missing the meeting.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:13 AM   #348
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Same here (hoping you have a quick recovery) Alan! After all you’ve been through, all your family members who caught Covid, your vaccine trials, etc. hope this goes easy.

So glad you were proactive about missing the meeting.
Thanks. It is what it is. I’m not too bad but DD is feeling pretty sick now. Fingers crossed
Old 02-07-2023, 10:15 AM   #349
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayDreaming View Post
Fully vaxed and boosted, I finally caught it and tested positive last week. Felt like a case of the flu, not great, but nothing terrible. Fever of 102 F for 2 days, body aches all over, congestion. 3rd day was a 100 F fever, no fever on day 4. Still recovering, thankful I have no odd side effects like loss of smell or taste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I’ve had 5 vaccine shots, all different, but tested positive just now for the first time. Just feels like a heavy cold, no fever, but lots of sneezing and a bad cough.

Have a speedy recovery you 2!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 04:45 PM   #350

I had fever chills Sunday night that kept me awake. I used a home test kit yesterday that gave a positive for Covid. Symptoms thus far have been mild, fever of 100, ache between my shoulder blades, sniffles and general fatigue. I have not lost my sense of smell of taste but not a lot of food is appealing. Dr. ordered Paxlovid started that last evening. Two initial shots of Moderna and the first booster.
Old 02-14-2023, 05:32 PM   #351
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunner View Post
I had fever chills Sunday night that kept me awake. I used a home test kit yesterday that gave a positive for Covid. Symptoms thus far have been mild, fever of 100, ache between my shoulder blades, sniffles and general fatigue. I have not lost my sense of smell of taste but not a lot of food is appealing. Dr. ordered Paxlovid started that last evening. Two initial shots of Moderna and the first booster.
Take care! I'm glad that so far your symptoms have been extremely mild, and that you have been seeing your doctor.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 01:04 AM   #352
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunner View Post
Hopefully it will stay with mild symptoms and your recovery will be swift.
Old 02-15-2023, 08:02 AM   #353

Hope everybody recovers quickly. My DD and SIL who have had their Covid shots and wear masks, tested positive last week. They do have 3 children in school, who do not wear masks. One of the kids was feeling sick, but did not test positive. A neighbor also has Covid.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 06:41 AM   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayDreaming View Post
The first 3 days were the worst for me, but really no worse than a case of the flu. After that, it took a few more days for the body aches and headache to go away, then I was left with what felt like a head cold for another week - stuffy sinuses, post-nasal drip.
At day #15 I finally started feeling normal, or close to it.

I'm pretty sure I caught this because I met some friends for lunch at a place that got pretty crowded, and everyone un-masked, including me. Now I'm thinking I could go back to wearing a mask everywhere and no eating out where I'd have to take the mask off... but it was nice to have a normal afternoon out with some friends. Everything in life has it's tradeoffs!
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 04:31 AM   #355
Recycles dryer sheets

I finally stopped masking and have returned to the gym and now I have my first head cold since 2020 (pre-covid). I have had 5 vaccines and had covid in June 2022. Actually I feel worse with this cold than I did with covid. (I did test for covid-negative, so definitely just a cold).

Frankly I am considering starting to mask again just to avoid any virus. I don't like being sick!
becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 09:25 AM   #356

This thread is somewhat unsettling since we've had so many vaccinations. I ran across this article in Scientific American which brought new light to long Covid. Hopefully, no one here experiences these symptoms but my healthy niece is still wrestling with these long-term side effects. She was 21, a university graduate with honors, and had no other health issues when she got Covid in 2020. I thought this article appropriate to understand new information regarding long Covid.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...us-treatments/

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 09:37 AM   #357

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
I finally stopped masking and have returned to the gym and now I have my first head cold since 2020 (pre-covid). I have had 5 vaccines and had covid in June 2022. Actually I feel worse with this cold than I did with covid. (I did test for covid-negative, so definitely just a cold).

Frankly I am considering starting to mask again just to avoid any virus. I don't like being sick!
Sorry to hear that after all your precautions you have contracted a virus. We still take all the precautions of masking, social distancing, avoiding indoor venues (restaurants, movie theaters, etc.) as well as having all the vaccines and boosters to avoid exactly what happened to you. Our understanding is that the vaccines do not prevent you from contracting Covid but rather reduce the severity and the chance of hospitalization. This is also the case with a cold or flu.
We are getting too old to waste our time being sick.

Cheers!
Badger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 10:57 AM   #358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
This thread is somewhat unsettling since we've had so many vaccinations. I ran across this article in Scientific American which brought new light to long Covid. Hopefully, no one here experiences these symptoms but my healthy niece is still wrestling with these long-term side effects. She was 21, a university graduate with honors, and had no other health issues when she got Covid in 2020. I thought this article appropriate to understand new information regarding long Covid.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...us-treatments/

Thanks for posting this.

Long Covid is what scares me for my kids and grandkids. Young people in general.
It could really ruin a young person’s life.
Covid is going to be around for the rest of their lives making the odds of long Covid higher.
Irishgirlyc58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 11:01 AM   #359
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgirlyc58 View Post
Thanks for posting this.

Long Covid is what scares me for my kids and grandkids. Young people in general.
It could really ruin a young person’s life.
Covid is going to be around for the rest of their lives making the odds of long Covid higher.
Breaking news to support your statement. Jonathan Toews (pronounced "Taves"), professional NHL player and captain for the Chicago Blackhawks, has stepped away from the game due to long covid.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...d/11303922002/

Quote:
Chicago Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews has decided to temporarily step away from the ice. On Sunday, Toews released a statement that he is dealing with symptoms of long COVID and chronic immune response syndrome.
"It has been really challenging to play through these symptoms," Toews said in a statement released by the team. "In the last few weeks, it has reached the point where I had no choice but to step back and concentrate on getting healthy. I am thankful for the patience and support of my teammates, the coaching staff, and the entire Blackhawks organization."

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 11:22 AM   #360

Recent research (over a time span from 2020-2022) is showing that diabetes risk is increased even with infection by newer variants. It may be a case of accelerating the development of diabetes in folks who were going to eventually receive a diagnosis later in life. The good news is that vaccination appears to protect against this acceleration. See https://www.cedars-sinai.org/newsroo...diabetes-risk/
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote